Swains Lane Challenge (North London)

spasypaddy
spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
edited July 2013 in Commuting chat
So seeing as the south of the river riders have their college road challenge thread

I propose we do the same but with Swains lane which is obviously a MUCH MUCH harder climb. (note ive never been to college road or even know where it is).

I reckon the best way to do this is from the bus stop to the purple (rapha) line across the top of the last speed bump/narrow closing.

heres the results from the last urban hill climb challenge, however its important to note they start further on than the bus stop but at an designated spot that i'll never find again:
http://www.urbanhillclimb.com/2011/07/r ... limb-2011/
and here is a report of the road
http://www.goinggoingbike.com/blog/the- ... ains-lane/

Last night i did a 3.22 for my first lap which was a PB, the other 4 reps were all between 3.40 and 4.13. 5 laps was enough as im still recovering from whiplash.

Name.......................Time.........Mnth....
spasypaddy.............3:22.........Sep.....

Comments

• mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    I did 2:02 in the first Urban Hill Climb event last year.

I subsequently did a 1.48 during raam training so il go with that 8)

10 reps of up and down is a good challenge as well. I hovered around 39 mins for that (I used to live in Highgate so it was local training ground).

mrc1........................1:48..........Mar...

Edited - checked garmin stats - bit slower than i thought.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • spoilsport
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    edited September 2011
    what are the specific start/finish points please? i.e. which bus stop
    <a>road</a>
  • spasypaddy - Look phoned...
  • dam i didnt know that existed. im up for the challenge. got to get my legs back first though. currently doing the 300 ; 30day training program and my legs are shattered.

ari
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Just round the corner from where I work - at the bottom of highgate hill.

Never climbed it - now there is no excuse.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    spasypaddy wrote:
    well thats rather embarrassing...
    Don't worry, you beat Amy Koerbel in the senior female category :twisted:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I'll try put down a marker for the fixed category over the weekend. Have to flip the wheel over to the larger sprocket first, might struggle on 80".
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Judging from those times, it looks a bit shorter than College Road but I gather steeper. I don't think you'd get up College Road under 2 minutes (I managed a 2:43 on my best bike last year), but then I should never underestimate how far off the pace I am when the real fast guys show up!
  • spasypaddy
    no the points im using are here:
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Highgat ... .2,,0,1.93

and here (the official rapha/hill climb finish point) is this stop line and theres a purple line on the floor from rapha
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Highgat ... 30.04&z=16

spasypaddy - Look phoned...
    In my defence, im too heavy to hill climb and ive had 3 weeks off any exercise (apart from a once a week 7mile commute) altogether as i got run over.
    dhope wrote:
    Don't worry, you beat Amy Koerbel in the senior female category :twisted:
    haha rub it in why dont you!
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    Brilliant! I'll join this game. Be interesting to try on the proper road bike, and the SS beater! Just to see how different the times are!

Whats the biggest gear anybody can get up there? That sounds a fun challenge!
  • spasypaddy
    ive added my start finish points to the OP. if we all use them we can all embarrass me even further
  • clarkey cat wrote:
    spasypaddy - Look phoned...

In my defence, im too heavy to hill climb and ive had 3 weeks off any exercise (apart from a once a week 7mile commute) altogether as i got run over.

just pulling your chain - you're definitely quicker up hills than I am.
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    BigMat wrote:
    Judging from those times, it looks a bit shorter than College Road but I gather steeper. I don't think you'd get up College Road under 2 minutes (I managed a 2:43 on my best bike last year), but then I should never underestimate how far off the pace I am when the real fast guys show up!

It's definitely shorter and a bit steeper. The challenge in it is that the steepest part of the climb comes about three quarters of the way in. If you have gone off too fast you soon suffer.

If I remember I'll find the power file and post the average.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    edited September 2011
    Took a long detour and did it on the commute home with rucksack & (aero)pannier. Guess it may have been a bit quicker without. Garmin says 3:24 but video footage looks nearer to 3:22.
    The advantage to me is I get to go down archway & pipping over 37 mph. :D

jds_1981..................3:24.........Sep.....
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Legs felt good on the way home after five pints and it's very tempting to grab the garmin and head back out.

Changing gear is too much hassle tho', I'll leave it for the time being.
  • FWIW video vs. G-streetview confirms that the Rollapaluza race is a standing start from the corner of Chester Road. Have never timed myself on this climb, usually feels like about 4mins. Now I need to know properly, to the millisecond if possible. But not today.

Oddjob was once a Swains Lane aficionado - that thread seems gone without a trace.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • Can you clarify - is this a rolling start or a standing start at the bus-stop... and what route are the laps you speak of?

I've put it on MapMyRidewhich has a 'Challenge Leaderboard" if you want to use it
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • jds_1981
    mrc1 wrote:

so 1:48 from the bus-stop or from the urban hill climb starting point? Just checking because it looks to be about 300 metres difference.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • jds_1981
    Can you clarify - is this a rolling start or a standing start at the bus-stop... and what route are the laps you speak of?

I did mine as a rolling start.

http://vimeo.com/28864476

Can hear the garmin pipping when I press the lap button at bottom & top.

I even got encouragement from some people who were talking near the top :D
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Standing start from Chester road - Ok.

But shouldn't the finish be when you get to the actual top? The climb goes on for another 50-75 metres.
  • What's the actual gradient for this? I've heard it's 15% average, 23% in places.

Is this correct?
  • izzy Eviel wrote:
    What's the actual gradient for this? I've heard it's 15% average, 23% in places.

Is this correct?

The blog linked by the OP has a nice review of the climb. Somewhere around the 20% for peak, no idea about average but 15% average is a big ask for a urban climb.
  • izzy Eviel wrote:
    What's the actual gradient for this? I've heard it's 15% average, 23% in places.

Is this correct?

The blog linked by the OP has a nice review of the climb. Somewhere around the 20% for peak, no idea about average but 15% average is a big ask for a urban climb.

MapMyRidesays 8.8% average... when I do it with my Garmin I'll let you know what it says...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 wrote:
    mrc1 wrote:

so 1:48 from the bus-stop or from the urban hill climb starting point? Just checking because it looks to be about 300 metres difference.

Hmm, seems that I had the wrong starting point... Therefore correct timings

jds_1981..................3:00.........Sep.....
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • willy b
    I'm taking a detour on the way home this evening, however i'll be on the SS. I'll have another go on the geared road bike tomorrow.
  • willy b
    willy b......................2:31..........Sep... (53:18 old SS in commuter guise)
    spasypaddy.............3:22.........Sep....

I'm going to hit it again tomorrow but take the geared road bike. Be interesting to see the time.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    willy b......................2:31..........Sep... (53:18 old SS in commuter guise)
    spasypaddy.............3:22.........Sep....
    t4tomo......................3.23.........Sep....(Brompton)

So I took a slight detour - how is Kentish Town/Highgate a detour from Mayfair to Euston? - to tackle this on the Brompton, carrying messenger back full of kit I might add. 3.23 standing start from the bus stop to the purple line, where incidently an oxygen mask could be usefully stationed.

About 2/3rds of the way up on the steepest section, as I was struggling to keep the pedals turning, I had three regrets:

- I possibly set off a bit to quick (but I was tackling it blind having never been up the road)
    - I specified the 54 front sprocket rather than the 50 tooth option on my 3 speed Brompton and 52 Gear inches wasn't quite low enough for my legs.
    - Opening this damn thread in the first place, I could have lived in blissful ignorance!

Hats off to willy b for getting up there on 53:18. I manage to leave a bloke on a hybrid with panniers in my wake, but some chap on a specialized road bike burned past me at the top.

Its a decent climb for an urban setting though. I'll have to try again, preferable once I've lost the 1/2 stone I put on over summer.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem