Peak District Ladybower & Cut Gate Ride - 8th October 20

13»

Comments

• sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Cutgate is a real mess at the moment,I live 10 mins away and will probably leave it a couple of months as it was very bad a fortnight back :roll:
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    There's a "surprise peaks route" on this sat over on singletrack, but as been said by ibbo, conditions wont be the best atm. I'm giving it a miss.
  • pumpers
    pumpers Posts: 26
    Me and my mate did a cracking route last week round the ladybower area.

Was absoultely knackered at the end of it but well worth the exertion.

Had some technical stuff, excellent downhill and excrutiating/lung bursting climbs ( even when pushing the bike !!)

Some of it was quite wet but all of it was rideable apart from a couple of the climbs which I'd defy anyone to ride up.

Route is easy to follow and manageable for those with a reasonable level of fitness. Probably not suitable for beginners but I've only been riding a year and I managed it.

route is one shown here : http://routes.allthegearnoidea.net/ladybower.html

with slight deviation at the top of Whinstone Tor. At the top you can go straight on which is the route we took or turn right as per the map. If you go straight on then its a good bit of downhill singletrack which gets quite steep near the bottom of the hill ( I fell off here but the heather is nice and soft !! )

One thing to note if you try this is that after the intial road ride ( under the dam, up the short hill and follow road straight on for approx 1 mile to a gate) the path is clear but not marked as a bridalway. It's to the left of gate, stone pathway across a field and up a hill to some disused stables. It's marked up as a bridleway from there onwards and easy to follow. ( It's the path shown in the photo under the route description)

Hopefully doing it again this week if work allows !!

Craig.
  • apart from a couple of the climbs which I'd defy anyone to ride up.
    Sounds splendid. Count me in.

cheers
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    apart from a couple of the climbs which I'd defy anyone to ride up.
    Sounds splendid. Count me in.

cheers

Gis a shout when you're planning on doing a round - I'm up for a challenge!
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    pumpers wrote:
    Some of it was quite wet but all of it was rideable apart from a couple of the climbs which I'd defy anyone to ride up.
    I've been riding that route(or variations of it)for 20-odd years and I can guarantee you this...I've seen every one of those climbs nailed at some point...but not by me :lol:
    Really annoying when your busting a lung pushing up a steepy when some Fcuker rides past and says "hello" :evil:
  • DodgeT
    ibbo68 wrote:
    Really annoying when your busting a lung pushing up a steepy when some Fcuker rides past and says "hello" :evil:

But not quite as annoying as when your pushing up said hill, the guy out of your group who has already made it to the top, is coming back down just so he can go up it again !! :D

Think another visit is due....
  • pumpers
    pumpers Posts: 26
    If someone rides up those climbs and says hello I'll take my hat off , bow down and kiss their feet !!

I know I'm not that good of a rider but if people are capable of riding those climbs then I really need to up my game !!

More training required !!!

If people are up for it then I'll organise a date. I work shifts, 24-7 , 7 days a week so am free some weekends and working others. Only proviso being that you all wait for me at the top of the hills as I'll defo be pushing my bike up them !!

Pumpers.
  • DodgeT
    I've got no chance for the next 5 wk as on baby alert, but I definately want to have another go at this.

@ the generalist - if your coming, wash your feet for pumpers sake :)
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Ladybower and Cutgate? count me in! Free most weekends aside fom a few stag dos and weddings coming up.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    DodgeT wrote:
    I've got no chance for the next 5 wk as on baby alert, but I definitely want to have another go at this.

@ the generalist - if your coming, wash your feet for pumpers sake :)

Let us know when yon Dodgelet has arrived and we'll get something in the diary. Either Cut Gate or t'other side of Ladybower. I'm happy with either.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • I've got no chance for the next 5 wk as on baby alert,
    eh whassat then, surely you're ok nipping out for a quick cycle while on baby alert?
    I'm all for modern parenting and all but when it comes down to it you're not really all that essential to the process are you? (I mean the next bit of the process obviously)
  • DodgeT
    I've got no chance for the next 5 wk as on baby alert,
    eh whassat then, surely you're ok nipping out for a quick cycle while on baby alert?
    I'm all for modern parenting and all but when it comes down to it you're not really all that essential to the process are you? (I mean the next bit of the process obviously)

Still getting out lots, just shorter / closer rides. As long as I'm contactable and about an hour away, she's happy :)
    Just getting ready go gisburn now..

As soon as off bump watch, big rides will be back, this one and snowdon to mention 2.