Peak District Ladybower & Cut Gate Ride - 8th October 20

Comments

• DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    [/quote]thats fine mate, totally understand, hope you didn't think i was having a go, your welcome to join and and duck out earlier, there is no pressure to complete the entire route.[/quote]

So can I duck in for the last 2 glory miles before the pub then be beer sampling monitor purely for QC reasons for the rest of you please?
    Peter
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    you can do if you want, i'll call you a pussy and generally mock you and make you drink really homo drinks in a real ale pub!
  • DF33
    it's a date sweetheart. :D
    Peter
  • Kaise
    i only drink woowoo or cosmopolitans, oh haaaiiii
  • Good route Kaiser - sort of an altered Killer Loop.

The Doctors Gate and Cut Gate one on moutainbikerides.co.uk will involve either a lot of pushing or road work.

Woowoo in your camelbak?
  • Unfortunately I'm down south that weekend, but I have done that route a few times in various forms and would go clockwise as the downhills are better that way. Haven't done the top loop near Langsett reservoir so cant comment on the best way to do that.

Its a good route, most of the stuff alongside ladybower is either road or gravel though so not too exciting but you can keep your average speed up.
  • Kaise
    Roll Up Roll Up

the ride is 2 weeks away and just wondering how many people think they will be making it?

As i said idea is to get out early(ish) and it not a race but a fair paced ride that should be a bit of fun with a break for cold a bacon sandwich/ pork pie at some point*. Going to have my camera with me as well.

*bring your own food!

I am aware that it is the BHF thing on the same day and from their route last year it looks as if they use some of the same trail but they dont include cut gate which makes life a little easier.

Weather is looking good at the minute, i'll update these pictures as the time gets closer if there are any major changes.

Current Weather Forecast;
    Friday 7th Oct, 1800hrs - Saturday 8th Oct, 0600hrs GMT
    Precipitation
    11100806_2518.gif

Saturday 8th October 0600hrs to 1800hrs GMT
    Precipitation
    11100818_2518.gif
    Temperature
    11100818_2518.gif
  • I'm up for this - sounds great.

I have uploaded the map to viewranger for smart phone users.

http://www.my.viewranger.com/route/details/NTg0NA%3D%3D.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Still up for it, dude. 8)

There's 3 car parks around Crook Hill - which one we meeting at?

Man, how much am I going to regret this! :lol:
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Kaise
    clank i was planning on using the carpark on the A57 on the west side (aight) of the Ashopston Viaduct, unless anyone has any better places to park?!

Mate i will regret it during the climbs but i am stoked about going!!

sparky cheers for that, not sure i'll use veiwranger as i'm a cheapo and wont pay £29.99 for the peak district OS map.

the route should be pretty easy to follow i think as the paths are well used and cut gate is cut gate. My only thing was that the route i have planned uses a fair bit of the track arounf the reservoir which is just road but its should be fine, especially with it being 27miles! woop woop
  • Clank
    kaiser83 wrote:
    clank i was planning on using the carpark on the A57 on the west side (aight) of the Ashopston Viaduct

Yep, know the one.

I believe the appropraite phrase is 'bring it'. :lol:
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

• im still up for this ride. not done 25 milles before but willing to give it a go. dont know the area at all so will need confirmation of the meeting point/time

adam :wink:
  • DF33
    Shall know re work a few days before and confirm then if ok.

Already in training, 4 pints had tonight :D
    Peter
  • Hi,
    I'd be keen to tag along as well. Anyone want a lift from Altrincham/Manchester?
    cheers

Alex
  • the best part of the route is the out and back at the start/end of the ride tbh. The loop basically takes you on a stroll around the bottom of ladybower and back up and over, 'tis a good route, one day i'm gonna do it with the 'proper' ladybower route when i fancy being a broken man by the end of it :lol: distance wise it's the same, but it's tough enough doing the ladybower bit on its own, nevermind adding in going over the tops to langsett!
  • sparked
    sparked Posts: 57
    Did Cutgate yesterday and at the moment it's very dry and fast, cracking run back towards Langsett
    Ride my bike until I get home
  • Kaise
    sparked cheers for the update, with the weather this week i think the trails will be awesome!

There is some rain forecast for wednesday and thrusday and then a little bit on saturday so i would bring a coat.

The current role Call so far (11 people)

Me
    Clank
    RaymondAvalon
    BenWatson
    SamyG
    Big Question
    DF33
    aaron_saph
    adiggers
    Sparky.2002
    TheGeneralist

9.15am meet time
    9.30am ride time, this will give everyone chance to get from parking positions to the start point.

Taking advice from the Greggors the route is going to be reversed to go clockwise, this will get the best out of the trail and only actually applies to the section around Ladybower.

A quick note to everyone, come prepared, other riders dont mind helping out if you have forgotten something (tube, repair kit, chain tool, quick link etc) but they will mind if helping if people just arrive with water and food and no tools or spares.

My kit list for the day out;
    Light Weight Waterproof
    Helmet
    Gloves
    Knee Pads
    2x inner tubes
    1x Quick Link
    2x Disc Pads
    1x Gear cable (may not be necessary)
    Topeak Multitool (inc chain tool)
    Leatherman Skeletool
    Topeak Morph Pump
    Puncture Repair Kit
    Camera/Lens/Batteries/membory card
    Phone (spare/extrenal battery)
    Map
    Garmin Edge GPS
    Water
    Energy Tablets/Zero G Electrolyte drink
    Bacon Sandwich (cold)
    Jelly Babies/Flap Jack something sweet!

this is just what i am taking for me, may be over kill but it all fits in the bag comfortably so it might sound like overkill but i dont want to get stuck like i have done before.

something else i haven't put on this post so far, but in the way of the world;

All riders take part at their OWN RISK, the route I have chosen is physically and in parts techinally demanding and as such any riders joining me on the ride, should ensure that they are comfortable with the fitness levels and technical ability required to complete the route in safe manner.

I hold no responsibility for any damge or injuries caused on this ride.

i will PM everyone on the list above with my mobile number so we can meet up easily. But look for me on a Black Spesh Stumpjumper with a White/Blue Endur-O-Matic Helmet!

Kaiser
  • Kaise
    SPD's or Flats?

generally ride Flats but not sure whether to change for this ride to?! hmmm the choices, the choices!
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Depending if I can get my car fixed in time, I might tag along for this, i'm assuming its not going to be race pace...
    Hopefully the weather will pick up again too.

For your pedal question, what % / mileage terrain etc. is the ride, how much tarmac / flatish bridleway / singletrack?
  • Kaise
    Evening peoples of the internet!

This is still happening tomorrow so feel free to tag along, the route is a bit further up the thread, come prepared for the 26 miles, i.e. food and spares

the meeting point is the same for all, but if you have to park miles away send me a PM through here with your mobile number and i can give you a text or call to let you know where we are.

9 a.m. - 9.15 meeting time, the ride starts at 9.30 sharp!

see you there!

ps, once again this isn't aimed at being race pace, I'm not setting the pace as such but i won't be chasing you down if you go bombing off, i want to survive till the evening!
  • Clank
    Yep, that worked. Great route, good company, weather not abysmal.

What was not to like?

The Langsett loop was some kind of awesome, and during the day there were a number of demos of 'dynamic dismounts'. :lol:

Cheers guys, enjoyed meself lots.

Oh yeah. For info, TheGeneralist climbs like a frikkin Exocet. Could pedal up the side of a 'ouse, that man.

• Damn that was good.
    Amazing route. Took 6 hours or so but it didn't feel like we hung around much. Thinking about it though lots of the route was really technical 1st gear stuff, so that would explain the 5mph average speed. Really really nice, so much so that some of it just needed doing a second time.
    I'm completely knackered now, so job done.
    Let me know when you're up north again herr Kaiser. And cheers other chaps.

Right, I reckon that if i buy a bike that weighs less than 15 kilos then that lovely slabby section up to the rest shed below derwent Edge would go.... maybe.

Why oh why do I waste time at places like Landegla when there's trails like that available.

yum
  • DodgeT
    As above, cracking ride, cheers for arranging it Alex and cheers to the rest for the good company !
    Definately going to have to get over there again soon, i'm thinking a modified route with a couple of goes at cut gate - langset loop. I will clean all of cut gate next time :P

Any saturday you guys want another go, let me know.
  • That ride was awesome. Never enjoyed myself so much for a long time. Proper thoroughly brilliant. Thanks Alex for organising it and thanks to everyone else for an excellent day.
  • Kaise
    A fantastic ride, i was properly fooked last night, had to ice by shoulder as an old old injury came back to haunt me as i got home, i then promptly fell asleep at 11.15pm that must be a first for a saturday night in a very long time

glad everyone enjoyed it, sorry i wasn't fit enough to ride some of the sections, but that will teach me for taking the granny ring off!

i'll be organising another ride again soon, maybe the start of december.

cut gate to langsett was a lot of fun, the whole ride was,

Cheers for joining me, your always welcome to come again
  • pumpers
    pumpers Posts: 26
    sorry I missed this, I live in Hadfield and have finally got my fitness up to something like decent !!
    This ride would have been just what i'm looking for to branch out, meet soem new people and improve my riding.

Let me know if another date is planned, I'll do my best to be there !!

Pumpers :D
  • if my Hope Vision R4 lights arrive tomorrow as hoped then hows about an evening ride some time?
  • pumpers
    pumpers Posts: 26
    Only been riding for last 8 months. Never ridden at night before and don't have any lights. Probably need to improve my technique a little before venturing out after dark !!

Especially if it's somewhere I haven't been before !

Reckon the first time I tackle cut gate etc it should be in the daylight !!

Not to say I'm not up for it in the future, just think my first time I should have a good view of where I'm going !!

Pumpers
  • DodgeT
    That route really needs to be done in the day (IMO), its a fantastic route and I think you need the daylight to enjoy it properly - well the best bits anyway.
    Want to do it again myself sometime soon.
  • Post resurrection!! But... I'm getting itchy feet for a rerun!!