kamil1891 Posts: 658
    190cm (6'3''?), 78kg (12stones) :D
  • Slapshot wrote:
    Bmi is a great help and motivation for people.... :roll:

Chris Hoy 6'1 (1.85m) and 92KG (200lb) - BMI 26.9......OVERWEIGHT

Re: My Jonah Lomu post.

BMI=LOB
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • kamil1891
    kamil1891 Posts: 658
    As far as I'm concerned BMI works only for people who are not doing any serious sport exercises. That's because, muscles weigh more than fat.
  • dg74
    dg74 Posts: 656
    Sod all that. I was 20 stone 4 years ago and now down to just under 16. At 5'10" I'm overweight but I quit smoking, drinking as much lager (though I now drink a lot of Rioja - a bottle or two a week) and I'm happily trundling along losing the weight slowly but surely.

Now though, my right knee is cattled from a healthier time in my teens from football, running, snowboarding and a car crash.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    I think dismissing the BMI as totally useless by citing a few elite sportsman is bit daft as that isn't what it is for, an athlete is likely to be aware of the bodies relationship between diet and muscle structure etc and likewise as keen cyclists we are too. For the purpose of a GP giving a lardy person from joe public who knows very little about physiology a rough guide and a target to aim for then I don't see any harm in it.
  • turboslave
    turboslave Posts: 178
    Curently 9st 2lb, 5'7" in height and at the low end of the BMI scale, thing is I have dropped over 3.5 St in the past 2 years returning to cycling mainly due to my weight being excessive, I went from 4th to obese cat in 7 years, now aged 46.

Thing is I am still over a stone heavier than when I used to race, I dont want to go that low again, but I am still carying a few pounds of fat around the middle which will naturally go this winter as my training will increase, its looking at sub 9st by Crimbo.
    I laugh when I read posts about training with no breakfast or just a cup of coffee to lose weight, I have to eat before and during rides combined with energy drinks to maintain weight as I just cant manage a good meal after a session.

Good luck to you all

TS
  • Keith47
    Keith47 Posts: 158
    BMI is the most pointless measure of health status ever devised. At 5'8" even in competitive (natural bodybuilding) condition I am 12.5 stone (79.5 kg). I am usually 13 to 13.5 stone in between contests, which puts me firmly in the obese category, with a 32inch waist!!! :roll:
    Body fat levels are far more important than total body weight, except for cycling of course, as all that extra muscle mass is of no use whatsoever, especially on the climbs!! I am now actively trying to lose some (but not all) of the muscle I've built over the last 30+ years but It's proving surprisingly difficult! :?
    The problem is we are not eating food anymore, we are eating food-like products.
  • Me (cyclist aged 49) = 5'9" and 77kgs
    No.1 son (19 year-old rugby player) = 5'11and 85kgs

Both overweight

Conclusion - BMI = p1sh :D
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    BMI = Bolox :!:
  • rewound
    rewound Posts: 6
    This Time Last Year 5' 4" 10.5st BMI=24.5 normal - exercise per week 0 hrs

Today: 5'4" 11st BMI=25.6 so only just overweight, - exercise per week approx 12hrs

Having said that in that time I have dropped somewhere in teh region of 3/4 inches everwhere (apart from my thighs and calves which now have the appearance of tree trunks!) and am now close to a size 8/10 (if it weren't for my cyclist thighs).

So now I am officially overweight and doing 12 hours of exercise a week I'm less healthy than I was a year ago doing no exercise.

As said before BMI=Bolox
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,179
    14 stone, 6' 2" BMI = 25.2 which puts me as overweight although I am 42 percentile by American standards for my age and height apparently (i.e. less than average)!

The weight is gradually going but not as fast as I would like, I need to step up my training over the winter.