So whose already obese (a fat b*****d)?

Comments

• Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    amaferanga wrote:
    Are you suggesting that the definition of obese be changed so that someone can be even fatter before they're considered obese? Bizarre.
    The definition is pretty arbitary. I forget when, but they redefined obesity some years ago thus making thousands obese at stroke.

It's the same with the 5 a day advice: I was told during a check-up that is should be 8 a day and there was a health bod on the radio last week saying it's 9.

I don't take any of this lifestyle epidimiology seriously anymore.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • roddixon wrote:
    Depends on how tall you are of course. If you are 5ft then10-11 stone is obese, for a 6 footer no problem.

BMI is the best (although not ideal) way of measuring obesity.

Er, rhubarb, my mate is in the below video 5 foot 4 and a shade under 14 stone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGH5npES1vc
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    roddixon wrote:
    Depends on how tall you are of course. If you are 5ft then10-11 stone is obese, for a 6 footer no problem.

Yeah, mate. Right.

Which one are you? :wink:
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • Slapshot
    Slapshot Posts: 211
    edited August 2011
    Okay I'll tell the truth ... I'm just over 18st, obese but in the last year I've lost nearly 4st by getting back on my bikes again. Changed the way I eat, no more than 2000 -2500 a day, cycling at least 100 miles a week dependant on time. My blood pressure is back at sensible levels and I now have a resting pulse of 60, compared to a year ago I'm in great shape!! :D

On the flip side of this I went to see a dietician last year and to get onto their surgical intervention programmes in this area you need a BMI of over 60 plus underlying health issues like diabetes or something less pleasant. That's a minimum of over 190KG or just over 30stones in weight.
  • pedylan wrote:
    roddixon wrote:

Yeah, mate. Right.

Which one are you? :wink:

I can assure you that I lack his dedication :lol:
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    roddixon wrote:

I had a body like that once, was creosoting the fence & managed to spill it all over the place...
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    Am 16 stone with about 3 stone excess fat ( I'm 5 ft 11 muscular )

I have had a body composition test done, and If I was 12 stone, as government targets suggest, I would have 2% bodyfat!!!!!
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Body Mass Indicator - is a poor indicator at best of the kind of point being made today in the press and generally disregarded by the medical fraternity when it comes to physique. All my adult life I have fallen into the borderline obese category using BMI yet my body fat is very low indeed less than 10%, I have a 30" waist and am 5'8", played footie, rugby, go running and cycling and never been less than 11½st.
  • How much is a stone in KG?
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    How much is a stone in KG?
    It depends on the size of the stone and which planet it's on. :wink:
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    1 stone = 6.35 kg roughly.
  • 5"10 at just over 9 stone, could do with gaining a few pounds. :lol:
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Only just okay according to BMI but then I want to regain my muscle loss due to enforced injury-related inactivity of last seven weeks so will be consuming protein like a Neanderthal :twisted: I'd rather shift body fat and build muscle to stay my current weight but it is ruddy hard to do :(

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • Just edging under 10 stone.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    1st = (exactly) 14lbs = (appr.) 6.4kg

EDIT: Boonen's #1 fan beat me to it! :D
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    None of those :P BMI is well in "ideal" though!
  • Ride hard
    Ride hard Posts: 389
    There seems to be some cycling uber waifs on this forum who would give the offspring of Andy Schleck and a size zero model a run for their money.

You're all invited to my mum's house and she will feed you some proper hearty grub :)
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • roddixon
    roddixon Posts: 100
    roddixon wrote:

Ok, I'll revise what I said;

If you are 5ft then10-11 stone is obese in terms of BMI

As I say BMI is not ideal but it is the best quick measurement that we have.

Linford Christie also had a BMI over 30, all muscle though.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Ride hard wrote:
    There seems to be some cycling uber waifs on this forum who would give the offspring of Andy Schleck and a size zero model a run for their money.

You're all invited to my mum's house and she will feed you some proper hearty grub :)

I'm the weight I am with or without cycling! I may have sounded smug previously but my speeds on the flat are crap as developing any real muscle and power takes incredible effort. I eat like a horse too. If your mum does a beef stew as good as my mother's I'll still accept your offer however :wink:
  • Ride hard
    Ride hard Posts: 389
    Ride hard wrote:

I'm the weight I am with or without cycling! I may have sounded smug previously but my speeds on the flat are crap as developing any real muscle and power takes incredible effort. I eat like a horse too. If your mum does a beef stew as good as my mother's I'll still accept your offer however :wink:

I've never seen my mum do a beef stew before, but then there's always a first time I guess.

BTW, you should bottle your formula to staying slim and sell it. I've got loads of female friends that would pay you a kings ransom for the privilege.
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    ~183cm
    Was 100kg
    Now 75kg ish (depends on the scales I'm standing on)

100kg didn't hit the obese mark on the BMI scale, but visually I was more than over weight.
    Although I do have a very small frame, and even at 75kg i'm still clearly over weight.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    5'11", and last time i weighed myself, i was 10st13, but that was the day after i was discharged from a 2 week stay in hospital.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm fat because the weathers rubbish.

Looks like I'll just be getting fatter this crappy bank holiday.
  • I'm a fat bloater and i'm proud..... :lol:

At 6' 2" (188cm) i weigh in about 15 stone. I ride about 100 miles a week and run about 25 miles. So if i'm fat, i'm fat. Hey ho!!!
    Happy riding...

Karl

Twitter: @karl_holland
  • CrackFox
    CrackFox Posts: 287
    6'0, and 68kg (10.7). I'm the same weight at 41 as I was at 21. I put it down to genetics - my siblings are of similar build but don't exercise at all. That's a negative thing in a sense, as I can't convince them to change their sedentary lifestyles.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    5 foot 9 ish

60Kgs

Always been pretty skinny, as an Ice hockey playing teenager, I used to eat 4 cooked meals a day on most days, and still failed to put weight on. I put it down to having a fast metabolism.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • pauldavid
    pauldavid Posts: 392
    5'8" and 14 stone 13 pounds.

Massively overweight but in the process of losing it via my new found love of cycling.

I did consider emigrating to america where I would be classed as anorexic at this weight but it was cheaper to buy a bike and get some exercise.

Cycling has become the biggest motivating force for me wanting to lose weight primarily because of how bad I look in Lycra at the moment :shock: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • 6"1 and im 9 and half stone, roughly anyway! im only 21 so im pretty active =]
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • roddixon wrote:

When Jonah Lomu (rugby league legend) was in his pomp his BMI was something in the high twenties thus obese. There was barely an ounce of fat on him, so far from being not ideal it is infact all but useless at determining if someone is obese, as it takes no account of what your body weight consists of.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • 6"1 and im 9 and half stone, roughly anyway! im only 21 so im pretty active =]

That puts even me to shame! *Heads for the sauna*