Wheelsucker etiquette.

Comments

• FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    The missus just mentioned that article to me.

Will have to give it a read.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I read it - i couldnt be bothered to comment!

i commute in london and i suck wheels
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    The guys sucking my wheel this morning sounded like a bucket of scaffolding clips in a washing machine . . .

I didn't mind him hanging on - the clanking was driving me nuts though
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Is it really that contentious? I've no problem with being drafted so long as it's done with reasonable care and if I'm drafting I'm always aware that the wheel I'm following may not be used to it and be prone to the odd bit of erratic behaviour so I give them a bit more space than the usual 6 inches or so you get when racing.

If it's done safely then I really don't see the problem
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Greg T
    I don't mind

Unless . . .

When I'm slowing for lights etc the free loader has slipped up and is now on five o'clock and is pinning me in - that really grips my shit

Oh NOW you fancy slipping by and having a turn at the front do you? or are you just cutting down my options for the fun of it?

I've taken to moving out and giving them trouble now - feckers.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,697
    Rich158 wrote:
    Is it really that contentious? I've no problem with being drafted so long as it's done with reasonable care and if I'm drafting I'm always aware that the wheel I'm following may not be used to it and be prone to the odd bit of erratic behaviour so I give them a bit more space than the usual 6 inches or so you get when racing.

That's quite a big If commuting in London. Been rear-ended enough and seen enough general crap riding to not to assume that the rider behind knows what they are at. Also bloody rude when it's done without so much as a nod or a turn on the front.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    I don't like drafters unless it makes sense. A similar speed obviously experienced guy going round richmond park is fine.

All others I'm totally not interested.

I swing right and wave them through pretty quickly now.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    There was a bloke on embankment last night, proper quick he was. On fixed track bike with an aero 3 spoke back wheel. Wheelsucked me on Milbank and nearly ran in to the back of me when I hit the brakes for the pedestrian crossing, then he did it some more after the VB lights coming past only when another guy went past at which point he sucked his wheel for a bit. He was clearly fast enough to do a turn out front despite the wind........
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • on club runs and so on, fine.

on the commute no.

Why? because even at fairly modest speeds the thinking distance is 20ft which is longer than most cars.

so if I have to brake or what ever they are likely to just pile into my back wheel yes they'll come worse off but thats hardly the point.

why should I take some risk so some one can hide from the wind?
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    a while back I had someone drafting me for about 3 miles in a nasty headwind, we get to a junction and he pulls alongside, only to say "It's a bit windy today!"

words failed me
  • Greg T
    In ten years of commuting in town I've been "taken from behind" twice, neither of them dramatic.

Once on the lambeth bridge - HoP run at the ped crossing - the guy behind didn't anticipate me stopping . . . .

Once at the Lower Richmond Road turn off at Col de Putney Bridge. I was stopped and a guy from work who I know completely misjudged his stopping distance . . . .

Pretty good odds really - I'm sanguine - I can understand why people don't like it - I don't each to their own etc

• phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    I can't help it, when I see someone doing a decent speed not too far ahead, there's only one thing I can hear in my head: it's a belligerent track coach shouting "Shut that gap!"

Doesn't happen often mind, and I'm more than happy to take my turn - just show me the elbows.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I'm sanguine

isn't "sang-froid" the correct usage here?
  • sketchley
    I get drafted all the time, daily in fact. Either I'm quick and no one can come past. Or I punch a very big hole in the wind. I suspect the later.......
    --
    Chris

• clarkey cat
    or you're very big and no-one can come past
  • sketchley
    maybe...... :D
    --
    Chris

• clarkey cat
    I can weave quite erratically on my commute - one of the dangers of reading a Kindle while riding - so no-one drafts me.
  • sketchley
    Rain, wet roads and no rear mudguard does stop some drafters......
    --
    Chris

• snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Surely in order for someone to draft, first they have to catch you :twisted:
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Greg T
    I'm sanguine

san·guine   /ˈsæŋgwɪn/ adjective

1. cheerfully optimistic, hopeful, or confident: a sanguine disposition; sanguine expectations.

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I'm sanguine

tranquillo :lol:
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Nobody drafts me - too slow I'm afraid
  • I just love this comment in the Grauniad article "Look," he hissed, "we're individuals, we're not in this together. We're cycling alone. Don't you get that?"

I see medium/fast commuters as part of my 'team' (not that I've told them that) on the road and expect a bit of cameraderie. I will try and catch up with quick cyclists, draft for a minute and then overtake as a challenge (get overtaken again sometimes but hey, it's all part of the race) but wouldn't necessarily think it's great to sit behind them through unpredictable traffic and not take a turn at the front! It's give and take innit? I can't say I care if someone wants to sit behind me but yes, would take extra care with signals etc.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Mine's roughly the equivalent of "Stay out of my fridge". There are a few exceptions, but they are people I've ridden with.

If he doesn't like strong reactions, perhaps he should ask first if he can take a draft. He doesn't actually say whether he moves through to do a turn while on the go, only that he tries to get ahead at the lights.

Nor does he say how much space he leaves between him and the bike in front, or whether he sits behind the wheel or out to the side a bit, but, if it's the former, it's hard to see how he can be completely vigilant when he doesn't have a very good line of sight.

IME, the standard of riding in racing is better than on the commute, and you have marshals and lead cars to warn traffic, so you can't say because it's acceptable in a road race, it's acceptable on the commute.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    cjcp wrote:
    Mine's roughly the equivalent of "Stay out of my fridge". There are a few exceptions, but they are people I've ridden with.

If he doesn't like strong reactions, perhaps he should ask first if he can take a draft. He doesn't actually say whether he moves through to do a turn while on the go, only that he tries to get ahead at the lights.

Nor does he say how much space he leaves between him and the bike in front, or whether he sits behind the wheel or out to the side a bit, but, if it's the former, it's hard to see how he can be completely vigilant when he doesn't have a very good line of sight.

IME, the standard of riding in racing is better than on the commute, and you have marshals and lead cars to warn traffic, so you can't say because it's acceptable in a road race, it's acceptable on the commute.

Doubt you get many drafters cjcp! I couldn't stay in your wheel for love nor money when we met.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    I think the general standard of riding on your average club run is way above that on the commute which is why I always give people the space to make a mistake. That doesn't mean you have to sit so far beind them you don't get any benefit but surely common sense should prevail.

I can always tell if someone is used to group riding and adjust my riding accordingly, I've had some great commutes with equally fast guys where we just automatically take turns
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    cjcp wrote:

Doubt you get many drafters cjcp! I couldn't stay in your wheel for love nor money when we met.

To be fair, you only had one gear :) .

Unfortunately, I get plenty of drafters, more in the morning than in the evening, I think. You get to know who a good few of them are, so you can prepare yourself and maybe let them dangle out front for a bit, so they don't then have the energy to get on your wheel. :twisted:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Greg T
    cjcp wrote:
    you can prepare yourself and maybe let them dangle out front for a bit, so they don't then have the energy to get on your wheel. :twisted:

I will admit to letting the characters who suddenly decide to sweep by or just block me in as I run into lights - to take an extended and painful period on point as penance before I drop them . . . .

There is a whole sub game involving letting people blow up into the wind before executing a wide sweep to prevent them jumping into the tunnel of calmness . . . .

if you draft me then fine - stay back there and don't cause me reason to worry about you. Get off my right shoulder you nut job . . Mummy or Daddy you choose . . . .

Also - people who undertake on left hand corners . . . are you fecking mental . . . ?

• Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    I don't get many drafters & if I'm close enough in speed to draft someone, then I tend to sit out to their side, so not drafting, so I can a) not be accused of drafting & b) see what the road ahead is doing.

However, anyone who drafts me should know that I WILL STOP AT RED LIGHTS so had better be prepared accordingly. Should I get a set of shorts made up with that on the bum?
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    Rich158 wrote:

How do you know if its being done safely? I've been on enough group rides with people who think they are doing it safely right up until they touch wheels and go down, to know that I'd rather presume that the wheelsucker is a moron who is putting me at risk.

There are too many pieces of metal being controled by angry or sleepy people during a commute for it to be worth taking the chance that the wheelsiucker or you are going to end up on the ground for no good reason.

Don't do it kids, its not cool.