Specialized Recall

Comments

• Let us know how you get on then Piquet.
    Mine's booked in for replacement in a few weeks but I will be asking to see the new fork before they swap it out. I also don't want to be left with a mis-matched 'ugly' bike as its smart looks was one of the reasons I went for the Sirrus in the first place.

Full refund on my credit card on saturday.
  • Mine's booked in for replacement in a few weeks .

just noticed this bit.... the Specialized recall notice is "Do not ride", if you ride in the interim you may be deemed to have accepted the risk
  • Piquet wrote:
    Let us know how you get on then Piquet.
    Mine's booked in for replacement in a few weeks but I will be asking to see the new fork before they swap it out. I also don't want to be left with a mis-matched 'ugly' bike as its smart looks was one of the reasons I went for the Sirrus in the first place.

Full refund on my credit card on saturday.

Was that was agreed with your retailer or Specialized direct...and who was your retailer..?

Not sure how a refund works on the C2W scheme, presume I would have to take a replacement bike from same shop up to same value..anyway lets see what the new fork looks like before going down that road as I like the bike and have seen nothing else for the same price that I'd want to swap it for...except maybe the new 2012 Crosstrail Comp.. :wink:

My MTB is unusable at the moment so having to still ride the Sirrus for commuting, taking it easy with the front brake where poss...but I get your point about accepting the risk (albeit very minimal apparently).
  • I only found about this tonight when I popped in to Evans. Given that my bike is less then 2 months old I'm going to push for a refund so I can get back on the road quickly.

As I'd registered the bike with Specialized I'm surprised that I didn't hear anything from them.

:(
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    pompeygreg wrote:
    I only found about this tonight when I popped in to Evans. Given that my bike is less then 2 months old I'm going to push for a refund so I can get back on the road quickly.

As I'd registered the bike with Specialized I'm surprised that I didn't hear anything from them.

:(

Not another bloody Greg! They seem to be attracted to this forum like flies to, well, you know the rest.

Welcome Pompey.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    forks have arrived at the shop today for my Tricross so fingers crossed i can have mine back tomorrow

the shop said the forks are exactly the same....woohoo!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • mudcow007 wrote:
    the shop said the forks are exactly the same....woohoo!

the ones i saw in my lbs were not - they are a "one colour fits all" design and do not match the original coordintation with the rest of the frame, plus, while gloss they show the carbon lay-up.

If you take the refund you can then, if you care to, buy an identical bike with the new fork in the end of season sale and pocket the cash difference!
  • mudcow007
    picked my Tricross up this afternoon

the new forks now have mounts in the middle of the fork, im guessing they are for front panniers?

where my old forks were painted the same colour as the bike (satin black with blue/ grey) the new ones are matt black/ grey. they look totally out of place!!

my LBS said to speak to Specialized in the morning to see what they suggest

on a positive note, i got the £10 "voucher" to spend on any Specialized product
  • So, didn't know anything about this at all (so thanks!). Have the Sirrus Elite 2011, bought via the C2W scheme, which makes things complicated but even more so as I had to use Halfords but they sourced the bike from another company (think it was Berkshire Bikes or something similar - checking their website, it looks familiar) so no idea where to start with this!

I guess I'll email Berkshire Bikes and see what they say - nowhere near me though!

Have used it a fair amount since getting it, with no obvious issue with the forks, but would be keen to sort this either way, if it makes me at risk or affects second hand price should I sell up, etc.

Any thoughts?
    Specialized Allez Elite 2011 *NEW*
    Specialized Sirrus Elite 2011
  • mudcow007
    Blandiblub wrote:

Any thoughts?

i reckon take the bike from the shop where you handed over your C2W voucher, they are your point of sale
  • Well, I emailed both Berkshire Bikes (a bit of a shot actually as I might've got that completely wrong) and copied in an email address I found for Halfords' C2W scheme.

Technically, I gave the voucher to Halfords - but I sent it in the post to them, so they could adjust the amount to give me a new one that I could use in store to buy the accessories. I did hand over that voucher in their Charlton branch though.

Will wait and see what response I get.
  • mudcow007
    edited September 2011
    Just spoken to Duncan (very nice chap) from Specialized customer services who said that because im not happy with the fork colour etc, they will replace the bike with a bike from the 2012 range woohoo!

to be honest, i wasn't expecting them to say that

now decisions decisions.....which bike!!!?
  • Ooh, that sounds a result! D'ya think you can change from a hybrid to a road bike?! I think I'd love the chance to change my Sirrus for an Allez...

I got a really quick reply from Berkshire Bikes - good work from them. They want the frame number from my bike and then will go from there. They've offered to either send the forks to a Halfords store for them to do the swap (hmm!) or to get the bike themselves (I would presume by arranging collection from Halfords, rather than me directly).

Will also wait for Halfords to get back to me on this too.
  • Just spoken to my LBS and they say despite them agreeing that they dont look great, that they have received no instructions to offer a refund or alternative replacement. They advised thats all they had heard and if I was unhappy to take it up with Specialized.

Not sure i'd want the 2012 tricross as the spec looks lower. Dont really want any other specialized bikes either so not sure what to do.
  • jmw20 wrote:
    Not sure i'd want the 2012 tricross as the spec looks lower. Dont really want any other specialized bikes either so not sure what to do.

Yep i looked and the spec is lower.
    Cost saving noticed the drop in components over the years.
    Not that bad but bad enough for me
    Route1.jpg
  • Have had clarification from Specialized that all affected are entitled to fork replacement, 2012 model or voucher to bike value + 10%.
  • I emailed Spesh UK to tell them the options I had were to get my bike back >100 miles away from the original supplier or they will send the forks through to a more local Halfords (as I bought it C2W...). And just to ask if there were any other options (ie: me, basically hinting about a new bike!)

Spesh's first line of their reply:

'I wouldn't trust Halfords to work on one our bikes, to be honest'.

That IS honest!

They also suggested taking my bike to a local Spesh supplier who might be more used to dealing with the recall. I assume that wouldn't cost me anything, despite not buying the bike there (mind you, I don't even know where my 'local' Spesh dealer is anyway - will ask them directly).
  • My local dealer seems not to worried. Just bring it in when ever when i questioned them

ME " Inner tube please
    LBS "what for sir"
    ME " the tricoss sport i got here in June"
    LBS " there you go sir"
    ME " what about the recall i heard about"
    LBS " not sure I'll find out"

May phone specialized to get them to send them the forks as the local dealer wanted the bike for a while to send mine back
    Route1.jpg
  • mudcow007
    My local dealer seems not to worried. Just bring it in when ever when i questioned them

ME " Inner tube please
    LBS "what for sir"
    ME " the tricoss sport i got here in June"
    LBS " there you go sir"
    ME " what about the recall i heard about"
    LBS " not sure I'll find out"

May phone specialized to get them to send them the forks as the local dealer wanted the bike for a while to send mine back

my LBS ordered forks in as they had a record of who bought what bike. It was my LBS who told me about the recall. tell your local shop to speak to Duncan at the customer services at Spesh he will sort it out
  • I've just been to pick up my Sirrus Elite today from the shop, they've fitted a new set of forks in black gloss which matches the bike so pretty pleased (ignoring the 2 weeks without a bike!).
  • :( can someone help me on getting a refund,I have a sirrus elite and new forks just don't match.contacted specialized in California and all they are willing to do is replace forks!
  • My bike is the Sirrus Comp. I just found out yesterday about this recall! Im pretty annoyed with Evans Cycles Holborn for not notifying me of this problem. However, they have replacement forks in the shop and they may be able to replace the forks same day. It is also annoying that they are using generic coloured forks.
  • Well that is a bit of lost business to the LBS
    I phoned the LBS previous Tuesday to arrange fork replacement on a week Thursday.
    dropped bike off not even sorted replacement out for the day change over Specialized said it would be. No voucher etc
    The Tricross has matt black forks which look rubbish
    Route1.jpg
  • The forks on my Spec Comp were replaced sameday.

The replacement does not look too bad on the Comp because it seems to have a dark Matte finish. The colour does not exactly mach the rest of the bike but because the frame has dark parts the forks kind of blend in.

I spoke with the shop and Im pretty sure I could get the bike replaced with the 2012 model but Im not sure if its worh it. I only bought this bike a few months ago and I cant see any major improvements on the 2012 model to make it worth my while. The 2012 looks a bit better but I dont like the handle bar grips and I dont like how they changed the frame shape.

Has anyone replaced the Comp, what do you think of the Comp 2012 model?

Ta,

M
  • mudcow007
    i was in another LBS than my local on the weekend (Formby Cycles for all you Northern Monkies), my mate works there an i was telling him about my bike being replaced. He showed me a flow chart from specialized

with things like

replace customer forks - if customer happy give 10% discount voucher...if not happy offer bike change plus 10% price of original bike

if still not happy offer 100% cash refund for bike

im still waiting for my Sectuer Sport to come in. Its only been 3 weeks :? but im still getting a new bike :twisted:
  • mudcow007 wrote:
    replace customer forks - if customer happy give 10% discount voucher...if not happy offer bike change plus 10% price of original bike

if still not happy offer 100% cash refund for bike
    :

I received an offer of none of the above. and made the point that i was not happy with the matt forks
    After contacting specialized mine should have have gloss forks but this was not even mentioned by the shop to make it even worse
    We ran out about 1 week ago and it is roughly 3 weeks before the next batch comes in.:
    so had the LBS got the forks in when requested i would have gloss one rather than matt and i would not need to return there again :(
    Route1.jpg
  • What they don’t tell you about the recall is that the new forks they put on the bike are not the same color and pretty much look like crap on all the bikes that got recalled. Thanks Specialized for making parts that fall apart while riding and replacing them with parts that look terrible. I personally will never buy anything with the Specialized name on it again!!!
  • mudcow007
    evole03 wrote:
    What they don’t tell you about the recall is that the new forks they put on the bike are not the same color and pretty much look like crap on all the bikes that got recalled. Thanks Specialized for making parts that fall apart while riding and replacing them with parts that look terrible. I personally will never buy anything with the Specialized name on it again!!!

read through this thread, if you arnt happy with the replacement you have the option of

a. take bike back for a refund (if you paid cash)

b. swap bike for different bike + 10% of the value of the original bike

i did option B. i took my tricross back an got a Sectuer Sport as replacement
  • I talked to Spesh and the LBS several times and I asked for my money back, a different bike, different forks, or a new frame. I got turned down by both places for everything. The LBS pretty much told me I was crazy for wanting anything more than a safer bike (even though it looks terrible, it's now safe and that's all I should care about). So finally after 4 calls to spesh and 2 trips in and 3 calls to the LBS they agreed to send the new forks in to have them painted.
  • mudcow007
    weird

i was shown a flow chart that Spesh had sent to my LBS with things like -

Is the customer happy Yes or no

if no offer blah blah blah

there was nothing on there saying about getting stuff sprayed

maybe its changed now as loads of people were changing

have you spoken to the customer support number at Spesh?