Vuelta Stage 4 ***Spoiler***

124»

Comments

• sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    afx237vi wrote:
    Eh... I enjoyed it. Anton bombing out, Nibs having his little show of strength... this climb is not suited to fireworks, but it was an intriguing little appetizer for later in the race.
    +1 it was enjoyable, Wiggins looked good too I thought.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    How much did Moreno pull if at all?

He didn't need to pull... J Rod was behind... I'm surprised he even did one turn.

They were both going for the win. Rodriguez doesnt figure. Check Sorensens position on GC before today.

But it was the threat of J Rod's sprint that meant Moreno didn't need to pull. CAS had to keep a decent distance from J Rod and his sprint, so Moreno didn't need to work. Geddit?

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Sonny73 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    Eh... I enjoyed it. Anton bombing out, Nibs having his little show of strength... this climb is not suited to fireworks, but it was an intriguing little appetizer for later in the race.
    +1 it was enjoyable, Wiggins looked good too I thought.

It was good to see Wiggins getting decent support from Froome as well.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    reading tomorrows profile and is it the crazy finish thought the middle of a village that anton won last year.
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Gutted. Felt bad from the start of Vuelta. Not bad form, just drained. I'll have tests & find out how @mattgoss1986 is. Then maybe more info
    -Cav
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Cavendish is a quitter. When he is not perfectly placed, he just gives up. why am i not surprised.
  • found this intersting quote on www.abc.net.au

"He's not ill, he had no power left in his body and he was totally empty," Cavendish's sports director Jens Zemke said.

"He was dropped on a climb and so far from the finish without a team car to help him along, he had no chance to survive."
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Impressive riding from Chris Froome to guide Wiggins all the way to the finish. He's shown flashes of good form before but has often not been able to sustain it, will be interesting to see how he goes for the rest of the Vuelta. I guess one thing he will have on his side is that he will be used to the heat.

Regarding Cav, looking at CQ only at HTC on Lars Bak has raced more KM's than Cav this year, think he may just be knackered. Plus I don't think he's raced since the Tour (apart from a little sportive in London) so probably quite a nasty shock to the system to suddenly hit those climbs in that heat. Personally i'm not sure that riding the Vuelta is that key to his Worlds preparation, think if he can have a rest then ride the ToB then he should still have a chance. In my opinion his chances of success will hinge more on how well Team GB can protect him and also how hard the other nations make the race.

Right this minute i'm happy that I picked Nibali for GC, but it's early days yet!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Cavendish is a quitter. When he is not perfectly placed, he just gives up. why am i not surprised.

Oh look, you're behaving like a 2 year old again. Why am I not surprised?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Cavendish is a quitter. When he is not perfectly placed, he just gives up. why am i not surprised.

#FAIL. That's a fairly unsophisticated troll. A better one would be to say "why didn't he just hold onto a car like the Tour"

Poor effort.

2/10
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • inkyfingers
    Not a bad palmares for a quitter.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • iainf72 wrote:

#FAIL. That's a fairly unsophisticated troll. A better one would be to say "why didn't he just hold onto a car like the Tour"

Poor effort.

2/10

I like this approach. People can't resist feeding the trolls so much better to feed them by way of a rating :thumbsup:
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,113
    Personally i'm not sure that riding the Vuelta is that key to his Worlds preparation, think if he can have a rest then ride the ToB then he should still have a chance. In my opinion his chances of success will hinge more on how well Team GB can protect him and also how hard the other nations make the race.
    !

Recent history suggests that riding two weeks of the Vuelta is essential for winning the Worlds;

http://www.pavepavepave.com/2010/09/30/ ... y-numbers/

As for the ToB, Cavendish would need permission from the Vuelta organisers and the UCI to enter another race having abandoned the Vuelta. Even if he gets that, it's far from ideal preparation for the Worlds as the course and the depth of quality in the field just aren't good enough.

That said, Cavendish does seem to be at his best when he has a point to prove.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,730
    andyp wrote:
    Personally i'm not sure that riding the Vuelta is that key to his Worlds preparation, think if he can have a rest then ride the ToB then he should still have a chance. In my opinion his chances of success will hinge more on how well Team GB can protect him and also how hard the other nations make the race.
    !

Recent history suggests that riding two weeks of the Vuelta is essential for winning the Worlds;

http://www.pavepavepave.com/2010/09/30/ ... y-numbers/

As for the ToB, Cavendish would need permission from the Vuelta organisers and the UCI to enter another race having abandoned the Vuelta. Even if he gets that, it's far from ideal preparation for the Worlds as the course and the depth of quality in the field just aren't good enough.

That said, Cavendish does seem to be at his best when he has a point to prove.

He's also at his best when he's been suffering like a dog in the week or two beforehand.

I get the impression in the Tour that the two-three weeks sans racing before the Tour starts takes that edge off his sprint, which he later finds the deeper he goes into the Tour.

Even with the M-SR win he really suffered in Tirreno beforehand (hence, Boonen writing him off, mistakenly).

Definitely not ideal preparation.
  • Even with the M-SR win he really suffered in Tirreno beforehand (hence, Boonen writing him off, mistakenly).

I thought his struggling in Tirreno that year was part of a deliberate deception?
  • rick_chasey
    Even with the M-SR win he really suffered in Tirreno beforehand (hence, Boonen writing him off, mistakenly).

I thought his struggling in Tirreno that year was part of a deliberate deception?

*shrugs* that wasn't the impression I got.

I think he just needs to really bury himself to get that top form.
  • rick_chasey
    The Vuelta seems kind to riders and teams from Eurasia.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    A True Sociopath (TM) wouldn't quit
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • inkyfingers

Cav certainly said that it was part of a deception, though whether that was a convenient bit of historical rewriting is questionable.

As for getting UCI approval to start the ToB, they are already working on that something tells me that they'll get it.

As for the fact that lots of guys who rode the Vuelta win the worlds, yes in recent years that's been the case, but I don't think that with the worlds course this year (i.e. pretty flat) that has to hold true. If he can do enough miles to get the endurance in his legs for a 250KM+ race and the GB team are ready and motivated then it MAY be enough to get him throug. I'm not sure that suffering through endless hilly and mountainous stages will do anything other than tire him out, look at how all the guys who finished the Giro went after that.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    cornoyemadeupthatquote
  • rajMAN
    rajMAN Posts: 429
    One consolation of Cav pulling out is that a certain LOON troll has nothing to troll about. :D
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    moreno.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest