Vuelta Stage 4 ***Spoiler***

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Moncoutié is like a cycling gecko. He doesn't start moving until it gets to a certain temperature.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    afx237vi wrote:
    Moncoutié is like a cycling gecko. He doesn't start moving until it gets to a certain temperature.
    :lol:
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    FJS wrote:
    Who was the last rider to win the worlds without riding at least a week in the Vuelta?
    TommekeTommeke?

Nope....

"Before 2001, the Vuelta preceded the worlds six times, but none of the eventual world champions deliberately used the stage race as training. In fact, three of them (Johan Museeuw in 1996, Freire in 1999 and Roman Vainsteins in 2000) didn’t even start the Vuelta. The other three champs (Abraham Olano in 1995, Laurent Brochard in ’97 and Oskar Camenzind in ’98) all rode (and finished) the Vuelta as GC contenders — not worried that they’d be too tired to race the worlds"
    www.dotcycling.com
  • sonny73
    Anton hanging back there.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,798
    FJS wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    And in the meantime, still, what is Rabobank riding for? Even if Kruiswijk or Mollema feel good, a bit bizarre

Punishment for yesterday's poor effort?
    Perhaps. Bit old-fashioned ;)

Suits Rabo perfectly.

They still ride around like it's 1972.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    emadden wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    Who was the last rider to win the worlds without riding at least a week in the Vuelta?
    TommekeTommeke?

Nope....

"Before 2001, the Vuelta preceded the worlds six times, but none of the eventual world champions deliberately used the stage race as training. In fact, three of them (Johan Museeuw in 1996, Freire in 1999 and Roman Vainsteins in 2000) didn’t even start the Vuelta. The other three champs (Abraham Olano in 1995, Laurent Brochard in ’97 and Oskar Camenzind in ’98) all rode (and finished) the Vuelta as GC contenders — not worried that they’d be too tired to race the worlds"
    Boonen was world champion in 2005...
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    Is Wiggins in the front group? I have just started watching and I haven't seen him or heard his name mentioned
  • afx237vi
    Bit surprising that Busche is here and not in Colorado.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    edited August 2011
    Yep Wiggo in the front group....well positioned too.

EDIT: Anton really struggling :shock: 12km+ of the climb left!
  • sonny73
    Anton looking ropey!!
  • afx237vi
    Anton really struggling.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,798
    FJS wrote:
    TommekeTommeke?

I guess so.

Even he says Vuelta is the only way to prepare for the worlds.

6 years ago.

It's a lot to ask now for Cavendish.

(ah, proper Vuelta chat - more concerned with the Worlds....just like most riders in it)
  • sonny73
    Mind you Iast year he hung around the back looking rough on at least one stage when it was a mountian top finish and went on to win the stage, so you never know.
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    Tom BB wrote:
    Yep Wiggo in the front group....well positioned too.

EDIT: Anton really struggling :shock: 12km+ of the climb left!

Cheers, I'm trying to do some paperwork and watch at the same time which isn't easy!
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Bradley 'interesting' Wiggins is just behind VDB.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • sonny73
    edited August 2011
    Anton does look like he did at the Giro in the stages after his Zoncolan win tbh... tired.
  • emadden
    FJS wrote:
    emadden wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    TommekeTommeke?

Nope....

Correct... but the question was who was the last rider to win the worlds without having ridden at least a week. Boonen finished the 2005 Vuelta didnt he?
    The last rider to win the Worlds after skipping the Vuelta was Vainsteins...

Oh and the quote I lifted is wrong when it states that the Vuelta preceded the worlds 6 times before 2001... That is incorrect. The Vuelta has always preceded the Worlds but in 1995 the Vuelta moved from the spring slot to August and the Worlds moved from the traditional end of August slot to the end of September slot :lol:
    www.dotcycling.com
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Thats a very big group for a GC favourite to get dropped from! Anton just about holding on.......will any of the favourites put the hammer down to get rid of him? Pace is pretty sedate at the minute.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    Bradley 'interesting' Wiggins is just behind VDB.

:lol: Tickled.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Watching on a crappy stream at work, looks like they'd get rid of Anton for good if they just stepped the pace up a little.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Tom BB wrote:
    Thats a very big group for a GC favourite to get dropped from! Anton just about holding on.......will any of the favourites put the hammer down to get rid of him? Pace is pretty sedate at the minute.

If Anton ruins my PTP ill drop him myself.
  • FJS
    emadden wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    emadden wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    TommekeTommeke?

Nope....

Correct... but the question was who was the last rider to win the worlds without having ridden at least a week. Boonen finished the 2005 Vuelta didnt he?:lol:

Ah, Boonen stepped out halfway, after stage 13. Always thought he quit much earlier
  • emadden
    edited August 2011
    And I think Cipo got to stage 8

Edit: Loves these random questions as it causes me to scurry around the net collecting facts :lol:
    www.dotcycling.com
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Just caught a glimpse - hope that is Eros on the front. Talent.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • sonny73
    Wiggins looking good. Liquigas going to stretch it out and drop Anton maybe?
  • afx237vi
    Anton gone.
  • sonny73
    Anton dropped... sh*ite.
  • FJS
    Yep, Anton is gone.

That's a bit of an upset - not least for PTP
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,159
    Many PTP hopes dropping off the back there.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • sonny73
    I hope Anton rallies, great rider.