Marmotte 2012

Comments

• richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    +1.

A 900 VAM would mean:

Glandon +1205m > 1h20. There is 10k / 20mins to start of climb.
    Telegraphe +858m > 1h. Then descend for +10mins.
    Galibier +1215m > 1h20.
    AdH +1141m > 1h12.
    Rich
  • richa
    Also check out these timings for estimating Watts/VAM:
    http://mr-miff-on-tour.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... st_17.html
    Rich
  • Thanks Guys,

thought I may be being a bit optimistic there but will be interesting to see how it all unfolds.
    Not long now!
  • genki
    genki Posts: 305
    If you want stats for comparison, look no further than here:

http://app.strava.com/segments/1193944

You can look at each climb, see the VAM's, power (where riders had a meter), HR's, stoppage time etc. for several hundred riders.
  • Any thoughts on strategy for the starting pen?

Assuming youre in the mass start bundle with 1000's of others is it worth the effort of getting up early to queue and start in the front of this bunch, or just have a lie in and start as one of the last people over the line?

Genuinely wondering that as theres no sweep I could realistically have 90 mins extra sleep :)
  • oldhairylegs
    oldhairylegs Posts: 220
    Depends on how quickly you are going to go, but I think it's worth getting there a bit early to soak up the atmosphere, which was fantastic last year.

If it's the same routine as before and you are in the third (biggest) wave of riders to start, then get into town for around 07:30. The first two waves will have mostly already gone off and you don't have to wait long in the queue - we went over the start line at 07:55. It was a bit chilly, so a jacket was needed while we waited, although this soon came off on the climb up the Glandon! :shock:
  • richa
    Any thoughts on strategy for the starting pen?
    What start number / pen are you?
    Rich
  • RichA wrote:
    Any thoughts on strategy for the starting pen?
    What start number / pen are you?

Numbers 5 thousand and a bit
    Had guessed Im in a huge communal mosh pit :)
  • richa
    http://www.sportcommunication.info/web2 ... p?langue=2
    Wave 1 to 400 and 401 to 1999
    The first race numbers are assigned first to those involved in Grand Trophy, Then the Trophée de l'OisansAnd then to pre-registered several tests of the Grand Trophy. Followed by award reference time made less than or equal to 9 hrs (in order of receptions and the limits of available).

Wave from 2000 to 3999
    Allocation by reference time made less than or equal to 10hr 40 (in order of receptions and the limits of available).

Beyond 4000 and until 7000
    Attributted in the abscence of time reference in theorder of receptions and the limits of available.
    Note this information is purely indicative and should not prejudge the bibs already allocated and thus availability.
    Rich
  • Full Merckx
    Full Merckx Posts: 143
    Has anyone managed to download their registration form from the sports communication webshite yet ?
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    Yes got mine a couple of days ago
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    Off topic but was over in the the alps at the weekend and did the Madeleine for the first time - what a climb! Did it from the north side and by the time I got to the top it felt like I'd been climbing it for a couple of days.

The stats for the north side on climbbybike are: 24.5 km at 6.3 per cent with a gain of 1,543m, but it's a km or so longer if you start near the motorway where the hill begins. Truly epic and the sort of climb that finds out any weakness in endurance you might have. For me, the Joux Plane was a walk in the park compared to that - anything over 15km is a bit silly if you ask me!

Anyone else done it?
  • steadyuk
    steadyuk Posts: 295
    Has anyone managed to download their registration form from the sports communication webshite yet ?

Can see my registration and dossard number, but get an error when I click the either icon beside it. Anyone else found this?

Do I need to download and print anything more or will a screen print of the regsitration be enough to register on the Friday?

Also want to register for the My Sports Video link but get a load of error messages again!

Stressed enought about percieved lack of training without having to contend with IT/admin troubles :cry:
  • hatone
    hatone Posts: 228
    stead yuk - I have the same issue re: my sports video link. The website is generally crap so not surprised. Will try again in a week or so.
  • Eboue27
    Eboue27 Posts: 6
    Off topic but was over in the the alps at the weekend and did the Madeleine for the first time - what a climb! Did it from the north side and by the time I got to the top it felt like I'd been climbing it for a couple of days.

Anyone else done it?

Hi, yep, I went over to the Alps with some mates last weekend and we climbed the Madeleine as well in the heat on Saturday. We climbed both sides and then went half way up to Val Thorens! The side from La Chambre is a tougher gradient with no relief section half way up. Our total ride was 95 miles and 4200 of climbing. Given that I suffered so much in the Chiltern Hundred the week before i was amazed I completed it. It's a wonderful ride.

Word of warning inf anyone is planning to do it - there is lots of work on the La Chambre side to the roads leaving huge amounts of loose gravel. Descending was treacherous and one cyclist was being attended to by an ambulance after a major wipe out.
  • Sadly I’m needing to call time on this year’s event due to sliding off in the rain over the weekend and popping a collar bone.

I’m still planning to travel to watch the start and perhaps enjoy a few mid to late afternoon beers at the finish.

All the best everyone for the ride.
  • flamite
    flamite Posts: 269
    NoMoreShadows- sorry to hear that! I have been following your blog as inspiration for my training - i came back into cycling after being knocked off and broken arm (still have metalwork in there), good luck for marmotte 2013!

Chaps - I did the Dragon Gran (130miles) yesterday in 9hrs, but finished strongly, tried to pace myself all the way round (not go over 150bpm on the climbs), am I nuts to be contemplating the Marmotte? Not going for a time, just want to get round... 2,000 miles done this year...

any advice appreciated...
  • speshsteve
    speshsteve Posts: 352
    nomoreshadows.........really feel for you there thats terrible bad luck.
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    http://steve-lamarmotte2012.blogspot.com/
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er
  • Alain Quay
    Alain Quay Posts: 534
    I would be interested to see replies to flamite's post as I'm in a similar category in terms of miles under the belt and
    av. speed in sportives.
  • farmgirl
    farmgirl Posts: 8
    flamite wrote:
    NoMoreShadows- sorry to hear that! I have been following your blog as inspiration for my training - i came back into cycling after being knocked off and broken arm (still have metalwork in there), good luck for marmotte 2013!

Chaps - I did the Dragon Gran (130miles) yesterday in 9hrs, but finished strongly, tried to pace myself all the way round (not go over 150bpm on the climbs), am I nuts to be contemplating the Marmotte? Not going for a time, just want to get round... 2,000 miles done this year...

any advice appreciated...

So i've done the marmotte a couple of times now and did the Dragon ride yesterday and last year. From my experience, yesterdays effort wouldn't be too far off the marmotte due to the fact that the Dragon is longer but less meters climbing, perhaps the total effort required for the marmotte is greater due to the increase in climbing, but i'm a climber so its the flatter/ false flats sections that kill me. I would say just pace yourself on the Gladon and telegraph especially and save something in reserve for the Glabier and Alpe but once you get to the foot of the Alpe the adrenalin kicks in and you just have to get up it! You are "probably" although very much depending on the type of rider you are talking about an extra half hour to an hour on top of your Dragon time, well in my experince anyway. Best advise would be to keep eating and drinking - fueling is so important and dont go into the red on the glandon with all the excitement fo the start! Such an awesome event - good luck!
  • Road Red
    Road Red Posts: 232
    In response to flamite, I would think you will be fine.

I did 9 hours yesterday and did the Marmotte in 10 last year. It is a very different challenge though. I probably spent 7 of the 10 climbing, most of which was considerably steeper than the Dragon (bar the Elbow of course!). The Dragon is good preparation though as at the end of the day they are both severe endurance tests.

As farmgirl said, pace youself, keep stocked up in food and drink, particularly in the heat, and you'll be fine. The Alpe is a bugger after 100 miles, but nothing will stop you then.

Enjoy, its a great day out.
  • flamite
    flamite Posts: 269
    cheers peeps, am going to try and look forward to it, but bricking it all the same!
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    I replied to a similar question on the Training forum.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40011&t=12859328

I reckon you'll be fine if you keep doing what you're doing.
  • mattpage
    mattpage Posts: 122
    twotyred wrote:
    Matt you fill them yourself like any other sportive.

Guessed as much, but I have done European MTB marathons where they hand you full bottles if you wish. Pot luck what is in them mind, but great time saver. It was usually iced tea in them :)

Does anyone have the link to find and download the registration? Didn't event know I needed to do it mind.
    Twitter: @mattpage24.
    Strava.
  • Full Merckx
    Full Merckx Posts: 143
    Anyone got any last minute pearls of wisdom ?
  • oldhairylegs
    oldhairylegs Posts: 220
    These tips served me very well last year (8hrs 20mins) and I will be back again for another go this year:

Try and lose a few pounds between now and then - less weight to carry up all those mountains!

Wear a HR monitor on the day and try to keep below zone 4 until you are well on your way up The Galibier. That way, you'll still have plenty of gas in the tank for the Alpe and you can make up a lot of time here if you are feeling good.

Stay properly hydrated; heat will be a major problem if you don't.

Most of all though, enjoy it. Take a few minutes to admire the amazing views, take a few pictures and just drink in the atmosphere of a truly magical day on the bike :D
  • hatone
    hatone Posts: 228
    The best pearl of wisdom is probably to eat healthily and stay clean & safe (surely a half pint of beer a night won't hurt?!)

I will already be in the Alps a week before the Marmotte (doing the Alp Cycles 9 day Marmotte trip) to get some altitude training in and enjoy what's on offer.
  • Road Red
    Road Red Posts: 232
    hatone wrote:
    I will already be in the Alps a week before the Marmotte (doing the Alp Cycles 9 day Marmotte trip) to get some altitude training in and enjoy what's on offer.

Can't make the Alps beforehand I'm afraid. Best I can do on the altitude training is to move my bed into the attic for a fortnight!

Dont worry too much, its a great day out, even if your time target goes out the window just ralax, coast around and enjoy.

Wont be long now-getting very excited! :D
  • This question may already have been answered but... anyone ridden the Marmotte as a randonneur before... I went to visit the doctor today to get my medical form signed and he refused without me undergoing every medical test know to man at my expense... OTT when you consider the same practice albeit a different Doctor signed my form back in 2005 to do the Etape after a couple of minor tests such as blood pressure. I have read that the only forfeit of randonneur status is that you do not get an official time. Can anyone confirm this? I am not bothered about getting a time as I will be on an audax steel frame as I am cycling their and back but my only concern is that I will not be allowed to ride with the main group and be told to start at the back. The original plan was to ride the event with my friend whom I am meeting over there... banter welcome :D