I feel violated!

Ride hard
Ride hard Posts: 389
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
So there I was today minding my own business riding through Putney on my way back home. As I was apporaching an intersection with West Hill I decided to slow down and take a swig of SIS's finest, when I noticed a car beside me driving at the same slowish pace and had been for a good 200 yards. Expecting some sort of abuse from the driver - as I say I was just minding my own business - I glanced over to see two middle aged women occupants both looking at me all lycraed (is there such a word?) up.

With the passenger window down the driver started to mouth something to me. I was a bit baffled at first as it was noisy and she had the radio on. She then said it again before speeding off into the distance with a glint in her eye. It took me a minute or two of running the inaudiable comment through my mind like some secret agent with highly advanced lip readig skills before I realised she had said "You look gorgeous darling. Fancy a bit?!" before giggling with her sidekick and dissapearing in a cloud of diesel smoke.

To be honest the driver wasn't too bad looking, but now I know what women feel like during Summer when they walk past a group of builders on their tenth lunch break of the day!

I took a mental note of her registration and car model (I won't reveal it just in case its anyone's wife on here!) in the event she turns up at my door like Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction, but it makes you wonder if other women hold similar thoughts when they see lycra in conjuction with a muscular pair of legs attached to a crankset. It did put a smile on my face though.

Apologies if this topic has been done to death before, but has anyone else got any similar experiences?
Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"

Comments

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Ride hard wrote:
    but it makes you wonder if other women hold similar thoughts when they see lycra in conjuction with a muscular pair of legs attached to a crankset. It did put a smile on my face though.
    Yes we do.

(or maybe just I do :wink: )
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I am REALLY no pin up but even I get the slow overtakes.... and every time it's a > 30 yr old woman with a glint in her eye.

I have, I will admit, on occasion stood up on the pedals and given a quick clench just to add to the fun :wink:

Oooooo.... I just remembered one time, when a bunch of girls (and we're talking late teens here) gave me the whistles and the....errrmmmm...... advice when they drove past.

I REALLY, REALLY wanted to catch up with them, just so I could show myself to be a bloke old enough to be their dad :lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Ride hard
    suzyb wrote:
    Ride hard wrote:
    but it makes you wonder if other women hold similar thoughts when they see lycra in conjuction with a muscular pair of legs attached to a crankset. It did put a smile on my face though.
    Yes we do.

(or maybe just I do :wink: )

Well, at least you're honest!

Any more indecent proposals like the one today though might cause a distraction and make me crash into a parked car of something. It's a serious hazard I tell you.

I might get CTC to start an awareness campaign as others must be warned :)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Never.

I may reconsider my route, mind.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Ride hard
    I am REALLY no pin up but even I get the slow overtakes.... and every time it's a > 30 yr old woman with a glint in her eye.

I have, I will admit, on occasion stood up on the pedals and given a quick clench just to add to the fun :wink:

Woah!! TMI (Too much information)! Haha...

Oooooo.... I just remembered one time, when a bunch of girls (and we're talking late teens here) gave me the whistles and the....errrmmmm...... advice when they drove past.

I REALLY, REALLY wanted to catch up with them, just so I could show myself to be a bloke old enough to be their dad :lol:

Hey, when you got it, it stays no matter you're age!

God bless the person who invited lycra. He/she should receive a sainthood.
  • cjcp
    Ride hard wrote:

In KB's case, it must the cape that does it. Women can't resist capes.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    cjcp wrote:
    Ride hard wrote:

No capes!
  • Ride hard
    cjcp wrote:
    Never.

You might want to take a detour via SW London in that case as I can always feel eyes on me.

A stupid idea, but a bit like anornithologist studying the flight patterns of birds, it would be interesting to build a UK map of these 'slow by's' to see what areas they occur in most. Who knows, I might even find the woman of my dreams as a result! haha
  • Ride hard
    cjcp wrote:
    Ride hard wrote:

No capes!

I agree, no capes. No, it sounds like Keiron has that got that clenching action off to a tee. I might have to try it myself.
  • Kieran_Burns
    "like baby seals bobbing for fish"
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Ride hard
    "like baby seals bobbing for fish"

Lordy. Lordy! That's an image I wish you had never conjured up in my mind. I bet I have nightmares tonight because of you :P
  • cjcp
    Ride hard wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Never.

You might want to take a detour via SW London in that case as I can always feel eyes on me.

A stupid idea, but a bit like anornithologist studying the flight patterns of birds, it would be interesting to build a UK map of these 'slow by's' to see what areas they occur in most. Who knows, I might even find the woman of my dreams as a result! haha

See, I already ride home through SW London. Hmm, I may need to lay off the fig rolls.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Well I met Jake when he was dressed in lycra, so must be something to be said for it....that or myself and suzy have some dodgy fetish :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • This has never happened to me :(
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • Ride hard
    MaxwellBygraves & cjcp, if Kerian's patented 'clench' technique doesn't work, maybe you should try white lycra. It seems to work a treat.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I have had the odd shout of oi nice legs but never been pulled alongside in a car and filth mouthed at me
  • I've had a comment on my arse over a tannoy on an open-topped bus. But as a burd in lycra with a bloke on the tannoy, that's par for the course :lol:

Admit it though, there's small part of you that's shocked and a much bigger part of you thinking 'woohoo, I've still got it'!

And yes, of course, women look... particularly when lycra is inviting us to take a second... and a third look. Must confess that it's arms I go for over legs... unless said legs are in a kilt... (forget capes - they hide too much!)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Ride hard wrote:
    MaxwellBygraves & cjcp, if Kerian's patented 'clench' technique doesn't work, maybe you should try white lycra. It seems to work a treat.

Especially if it's worn two sizes too small, in the rain.
  • Ride hard
    I've had a comment on my ars* over a tannoy on an open-topped bus. But as a burd in lycra with a bloke on the tannoy, that's par for the course :lol:

Admit it though, there's small part of you that's shocked and a much bigger part of you thinking 'woohoo, I've still got it'!

And yes, of course, women look... particularly when lycra is inviting us to take a second... and a third look. Must confess that it's arms I go for over legs... unless said legs are in a kilt... (forget capes - they hide too much!)

Over a tannoy? Haha.....wow, you have definitely just raised the bar!

I guess gender equality is alive and well - in bike stakes anyway - as its not just the lycra ladies who exprience this phenomenon.

BTW, I hope you're not talking about men wearing kilts while cycling. Methinks it might chafe ever so slightly :shock:
  • NGale
    Ride hard wrote:
    I've had a comment on my ars* over a tannoy on an open-topped bus. But as a burd in lycra with a bloke on the tannoy, that's par for the course :lol:

Over a tannoy? Haha.....wow, you have definitely just raised the bar!

I guess gender equality is alive and well - in bike stakes anyway - as its not just the lycra ladies who exprience this phenomenon.

BTW, I hope you're not talking about men wearing kilts while cycling. Methinks it might chafe ever so slightly :shock:

lycra on the right type of man works, kilts never work :shock:
  • Kieran_Burns
    Is this the right time to mention I do own a kilt? (got married in it)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • It's mostly the bikes that are attracting attention, notwithstanding the occasional less wholesome encounters.. Sorry to be a bubble burster.
  • NGale

Possibly not :lol:

seeing Jake, his cousin, uncle and father in kilts last Burns Night was possibly the most traumatic night of my life. :shock: :lol:
  • Ride hard
    It's mostly the bikes that are attracting attention, notwithstanding the occasional less wholesome encounters.. Sorry to be a bubble burster.

And who said the penny farthing was an ill conceived design? Haa, its the best purchase I've ever made.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Have to admit to enjoying the view if there's a nice pair of thighs in front of me, but speaking as a girl who had her bum smacked by one of four guys in a white astra on the way home last week, I prefer not to say or do anything about it.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • Been flashed by women twice in my life. Both when I was lycrad up on my bike. And both times rack quality was high, so I didn't feel violated in the slightest!
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    NGale wrote:

Possibly not :lol:

seeing Jake, his cousin, uncle and father in kilts last Burns Night was possibly the most traumatic night of my life. :shock: :lol:

Depends what they were doing, I wore one as it was my best mates wedding up in Scotland (oddly) and you have to put up with some abuse when wearing one, I was told that I suit one though and they are very comfy
  • cjcp
    msmancunia wrote:
    Have to admit to enjoying the view if there's a nice pair of thighs in front of me, but speaking as a girl who had her bum smacked by one of four guys in a white astra on the way home last week, I prefer not to say or do anything about it.

Whoa!

Now, be honest: if it had been a guy in a Ferrari, what would you have done? :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I must say, I feel violated by this thread! The thought of you lot standing up and tensing your lycra-clad buttocks in a "Helloooooo ladies!" stylie = :(
  • medoramas
    medoramas Posts: 202
    It's time to get the mankini out!