Etape Cymru ?

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    OK so just got an email that the Gilets have been cancelled, hmmmmm. Might have to go shopping tomorrow.

This is so disappointing...
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    notsoblue wrote:
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    OK so just got an email that the Gilets have been cancelled, hmmmmm. Might have to go shopping tomorrow.

This is so disappointing...

Can't say I was really fussed about having a gillet as it was never going to be a fantastic one if it's a freebie. However announcing it two days before the event after all entries are closed . . . .
  • tonyp71
    tonyp71 Posts: 52
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    JD_76 wrote:

If its similar to today im thinking: Shorts, Overshoes, Jersey, Arm-warmers and Gillet - with a fold up waterproof jacket in my jersey pocket.

This is exactly what I was thinking, similar to what cougie said. Problem is the only Gillet I own won't fit in a jersey pocket, maybe the freebie they're giving out will be more suitable. Looking forward to it now although I have managed to be get struck by man flu today :( won't let it stop me though :)

sorry to burst your bubble re the free gilet but......
    It is with extreme regret that we have to inform you that due to unfortunate circumstances beyond our control, we have no gilets. As a company we have made the decision to give you a refund of £5 (this being the cost price of the garment), plus we will also offer a 25% discount on next year’s event.

Just got this email from the etape organiser's. Just waiting for the next email saying sorry there are no mavic prizes for the horseshoe pass challenge and no wheels in the prize draw!! :roll:
  • The-beast
    The-beast Posts: 140
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    JD_76 wrote:

If its similar to today im thinking: Shorts, Overshoes, Jersey, Arm-warmers and Gillet - with a fold up waterproof jacket in my jersey pocket.

This is exactly what I was thinking, similar to what cougie said. Problem is the only Gillet I own won't fit in a jersey pocket, maybe the freebie they're giving out will be more suitable. Looking forward to it now although I have managed to be get struck by man flu today :( won't let it stop me though :)

just had email from etape cymru, they arent giving out gillets anymore and will be issuing a £5 refund upon registration, im in exactly the same boat as you, came down with a cold on tues now coughing my guts up, only way i can see this hindering us is on climbs where your lungs wont be working to full capacity
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    You know how you react better than anyone to riding while ill, but it's not something I'd be doing. 25 miles to the kaffenback maybe, but not 100 miles around North Wales :shock:
  • dodgy
    I'm sure I saw that the gillet was valued at £20 or something when it was first mentioned in marketing material? Funny how it's now downgraded to £5 cost instead of £20 value :lol:
  • unfortunately our whole house has come down with a virus so I wont now be going, bitterly dissapointed as I had looked forward to this all year and this would have been my 4th and final sportive of the year. however im not going to cycle in the rain over the hills with a fever
    yep the Gillet has suddenly come down in price ha ha but i see they are offering a discount on next years entry so cant really complain...just wish i could be there and good luck to everyone going I will be kicking myself all day sunday, however health has to come first.
    let us know how it goes and good luck to you all.
  • The-beast
    I know what your saying but I don't have a fever which is most important, just a bit of a cough, done 100 miles worse than this and that was over the struggle and honister, 60 odd quid is to much not to take part.
  • dodgy
    The-beast wrote:
    I know what your saying but I don't have a fever which is most important, just a bit of a cough, done 100 miles worse than this and that was over the struggle and honister, 60 odd quid is to much not to take part.

Ah right, it's just that when you said
    The-beast wrote:
    came down with a cold on tues now coughing my guts up

I thought it was a bit more serious.
  • The-beast
    dodgy wrote:
    The-beast wrote:

Ah right, it's just that when you said
    The-beast wrote:
    came down with a cold on tues now coughing my guts up

I thought it was a bit more serious.

ha ha :lol::lol: you got me there eagle eye , im trying to convince myself that its not all that bad, im soldiering on no matter what
  • Lets hope we get rid of all this rain today in time for the Etape Cymru tomorrow !
    good luck everyone from www.llangollen-images.co.uk Pro Event Photoghraphers North Wales .[/b]
  • cwm
    cwm Posts: 177
    all signed up,had fish n chips for tea in wrexham,now in b&b planning on how to save face tomorrow cos i'm so unfit n slow lol
    now sharing my plods on
    http://www.strava.com/athletes/cwm
  • cougie wrote:
    I've ridden the ford loads of times - and never even seen anyone fall in it .

Something for you to sleep on tonight (scroll down):
    http://events.norvil.net/millshills/index.php?tpg=2
  • I never signed up for the Etape but was tempted at one point as Wrexham industrial estate is only 7 or so miles from me! Quite expensive entry too. 100 mile circuit may be a bit of a struggle for me as well, especially some of those nasty climbs up the horseshoe pass - I'm used to climbing those hills on foot, not on a road bike at speed! :lol:

Very tempted to enter the 2012 Etape though if I can get enough training in. Admittedly I've never been up the horseshoe pass on the bike, the thought of cycling 17 miles to Llangollen from here and then having to complete that 20% climb and then all the way back makes me shiver. I guess I don't know what I'm missing!! :lol:

Anyway, good look to all those who have entered, hope the weather holds and that you have a great day! :)
  • dodgy
    Oh dear http://www.wrexham.com/news/etape-cymru ... -3008.html

This is why I always navigate organised rides with my Garmin.
  • dsmiff
    dsmiff Posts: 741
    Rode across the boards from Llandegla to watch on Minera mountain with my kid's - gave the riders a good cheer as they came past, then later watched them heading back towards coedpoed with about 20 miles to go. Weather looked awful but plenty of riders about so I recon they've got back on course!!

I did hear that a couple of riders had a serious accident on the descent from Minera mountain after hitting a sheep :(

Well done if you did the ride today!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/dnsmiff
  • petemadoc
    I'm sure there will be the usual slagging off but for me this was a great event and worth the money.

The highs

Closed roads worked well, really noticed the difference on descents
    Generally a friendly crowd and a good atmosphere
    Feed stops were well stocked and the staff were all working hard to keep everyone topped up
    Lots of marshals and police keep the roads clear
    The WEATHER, I was expecting to get very wet today but the weather held. strong winds but this didn't matter as it was a tail wind on the way home :)
    Horseshoe pass, after 60 very hilly miles starting the pass with an immense headwind was sadistically fun, turning the corner and flying up at 22mph made it though

The lows

the 5am alarm clock
    Seeing the paramedics treat some poor guy on the descent to Minera, hope he's ok
    locals nicking signs which I believe resulted in the route being shortened to 86 miles
  • Only two fallers at the ford. :D
    A bit of a bluster over the tops, hopefully the guys that fell are all OKl
    p288994136-3.jpg

p887257892-3.jpg

p174099808-3.jpg

Well done to all runners and riders.
  • dodgy wrote:
    Oh dear .../etape-cymru-disrupted-markers-moved-3008.html.

It is, I fear, what you'll get when don't engage with the local community. Chap walking his dog had seen kids in Penycae changing the signs. Maybe it's just a bit of mischief, maybe they were put up to it. But simply sticking up road closure notices on busy main roads is asking for a backlash. I was treated to some abuse when I headed out in a different direction. There are plenty of route options around here that would have caused less disruption. Better still, run it from Bala, they're more bicycle friendly out there.

Still, you had nice weather for it. Bit windy but otherwise pretty good for October.
  • PeteMadoc wrote:
    I'm sure there will be the usual slagging off but for me this was a great event and worth the money.

The highs

Feed stops were well stocked and the staff were all working hard to keep everyone topped up
    Lots of marshals and police keep the roads clear
    The WEATHER, I was expecting to get very wet today but the weather held. strong winds but this didn't matter as it was a tail wind on the way home :)
    Horseshoe pass, after 60 very hilly miles starting the pass with an immense headwind was sadistically fun, turning the corner and flying up at 22mph made it though

The lows

the 5am alarm clock
    Seeing the paramedics treat some poor guy on the descent to Minera, hope he's ok
    locals nicking signs which I believe resulted in the route being shortened to 86 miles

I enjoyed the event - it was my first sportive and I picked a tough one. I didn't enjoy the strong wind from Minera down to Corwen at all, or the very strong wind at the top of Carrog Mountain. Managed to cycle over all the main climbs OK. Did a pretty lousy time of around 8 hours (but got held up for 10 mins at the sharp turn on the descent off World's End - presumably because of the guy that crashed, and also got held up another couple of times for 5 mins each + spent about 15 mins at the refreshment points). Also was in a group which went off course and I think we did an extra 3 or 4 miles. The feeding stations in Carrog and at the top of the Horseshoe Pass ran out of water (but I had taken enough and had refilled at the first stop so was OK). Came off on the way down Carrog Mountain at a sharp bend but luckily just went straight into the grass - no damage done. Also on the high speed descent from Carrog Mountain a guy about 100 m in front of me caught the grass and crashed spectactularly into the fence. Managed to avoid him and by the time I had stopped I was about 100 m further down the road. Luckily a motorcycle marshall was just behind us and stopped to help him out - hope he was OK. Apparently if they run it next year, it may be in September.

Congratulations to all the cyclists who took part - hope they enjoyed it
  • petemadoc
    stanthomas wrote:
    dodgy wrote:
    Oh dear .../etape-cymru-disrupted-markers-moved-3008.html.

It is, I fear, what you'll get when don't engage with the local community. Chap walking his dog had seen kids in Penycae changing the signs. Maybe it's just a bit of mischief, maybe they were put up to it. But simply sticking up road closure notices on busy main roads is asking for a backlash. I was treated to some abuse when I headed out in a different direction. There are plenty of route options around here that would have caused less disruption. Better still, run it from Bala, they're more bicycle friendly out there.

Still, you had nice weather for it. Bit windy but otherwise pretty good for October.

Weather was good in the end

I have to disagree with the comments about road closures though. The locals embraced this event and there were people cheering us on all around the route. My guess would be it was just some scally kids causing trouble. You could argue that the organisers should have been prepared for this as it's pretty normal at sportives.

The road closures seemed to be taken seriously during the latter part of the event, more police involved. Maybe some of the problems made them pull their finger out.
  • petemadoc
    Apparently if they run it next year, it may be in September.

Congratulations to all the cyclists who took part - hope they enjoyed it

This would be a good call. Although the weather turned out ok today
  • I must say I was surprised at the lack of police, I have plenty of experience of road racing on the continent where the police presence is very high, closed roads and rolling road blocks.
    Shame that something that could be very special for the area was ruined by a few.
    There must have been some positives, no?
  • petemadoc
    Positives

The highs

Lots of marshals and police keep the roads clear edit (apart from a couple of isolated incidents)
    The WEATHER, I was expecting to get very wet today but the weather held. strong winds but this didn't matter as it was a tail wind on the way home
  • Really enjoyed todays ride. Thanks to the organisers and all the riders for supporting this event. Hope everyone enjoyed the beautiful Welsh scenery. I really hope this becomes a regular thing each year. I live in Wrexham and it was great to see so many local people embracing the ride and supporting the riders. Hope anyone who crashed is ok and that everyone gets home safely
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,149
    We took a load of photos at the top of the Horseshoe pass until just after 2pm: http://s1122.photobucket.com/albums/l53 ... e%20Cymru/ The drizzle didn't improve my bad photography skills at all :(
    stanthomas wrote:
    But simply sticking up road closure notices on busy main roads is asking for a backlash.
    We didn't realise the one way section of the main road extended as far along as it did which meant we had to make a surprise detour to get to the Horseshoe Pass to go and watch. Also it was still in force well after the time advertised on the event website which probably irked a few people.
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    The road closures seemed to be taken seriously during the latter part of the event, more police involved. Maybe some of the problems made them pull their finger out.
    We were up at the top of the Hoseshoe Pass spectating. You wouldn't have realised the road was closed to cars...
    There was still traffic coming up the pass (both directions) as the leaders were coming over the top.
    Saw two cars nearly knock riders off:
    • One pulled out of the Ponderosa in front of a group of riders (despite the spectators trying to stop her) causing them to brake and swerve, then drove down the descent at a snail's pace holding them up
    • The second overtook a group of riders, pulled in in front of them and braked, indicated to turn right and moved over so the riders started passing on the inside only for the driver to indicate left and move back in forcing a couple of riders onto the verge. (The driver did turn right in the end).
    Could have solved the national deficit if they'd had someone up there issuing on the spot fines... :D
  • Saw two cars nearly knock riders off:
    Lol, I nearly got got knocked off yesterday at race HQ as someone overtook me then turned into Tetra Pak without looking nearly hitting me, they were on their way to sign on for the sportive. :roll:
  • The-beast
    We had fantastic time despite suffering from a cold which did hinder me a little on the climbs but still strong on the flat.
    Horse shoe pass was something else, awesome climb, must have missed the 20% section as it never seem to go above 15%.
    when we got to the top we were informed by the organisers that we were to miss out 10 mile Inc the shelf climb as signage had been move everywhere, so we a very fast 30 miles to the end, also there where a number of rider that turned back after 1st stop due to running out of water we were told by a mechanic,
    Hope the guy who went off the edge of the road on worlds end decent is ok, it looked nasty.
    And a massive thanks to all the local with a massive turnout with huge support especially the guy dressed as a dragon rattling a bell- classic
  • The-beast
    First 25miles were a killer too, website stated just over 1800meters (just over 6000ft) of climbing too, I clocked nearly 3000meters on my garmin, and that's missing out the shelf!
  • petemadoc
    I didn't experience the lack of water/food at the feedstops. What I don't understand is how they could have possibly run out of water, we have these amazing things in this country called taps, out of which runs clean drinking water! A little surprised that no one used their initiative and gave the riders tap water.