Etape Cymru ?

Comments

• petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    *** HELP REQUIRED FROM A FRIENDLY BIKERADAR PERSON ***

Would someone be willing to register for this event on the Saturday for me please. I guess I'd have to meet said person and pick up a timing chip and number on the Sunday morning.

Thanks in advance
  • Guys
    everyone of the things you are saying prior about this event is a repeat of the things said about Etape Hibernia over here.
    We did not get the pass on reg re others doing it for you.
    But it was a great event. If the Locals embrae this like the peopleof Clare you will have a great day. We had people out from start to finish a cheering at nearly every gate. Plenty of kids manning their own water stops. :)

Enjoy
    Go neiri on bothar leat.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    A word of warning here.
    If in part or full the organizers introduce prizes based on performance then as far as definitions are concerned it is a race in part or full.
    The section up the Horseshoe is a race and it would be wise to check with your bike insurers about race cover.
    I have spoken to British Cycling about this and I am told you will have personal insurance cover for the whole event but only bike insurance if arranged via them. However if your bike isn't insured via them then I would advise checking with your insurers and get a email response if they agree your covered, if they are funny about it you may be able to arrange something just for the day at an extra cost.

Lastly for those that think there is no risk going up hill, I recite a personal experience in one very wet cold Autumn Epic a few years back.
    I have never seen so many riders coming back down the Teme valley retiring from the tops heading back against all the later starters because they had got soaked and were freezing the death (not the best way to descend) by the way. That event was at a similar time of the year to this one and not a mass start either.
  • JD_76
    JD_76 Posts: 236
    PeteMadoc wrote:

Would someone be willing to register for this event on the Saturday for me please. I guess I'd have to meet said person and pick up a timing chip and number on the Sunday morning.

Thanks in advance

Happy to help Pete, let me know what I need to do for you mate / how I register you.
    I only live 12 miles from the start line.

James.
  • petemadoc
    JD_76 wrote:
    PeteMadoc wrote:

Thanks in advance

Happy to help Pete, let me know what I need to do for you mate / how I register you.
    I only live 12 miles from the start line.

James.

Big thanks James,

you have PM
  • Sorry Petemadoc, I am not going to be able to register you as discussed in earlier post.

I failed to negotiate the requisite credits for a trip to North Wales, it went something like this, 'I fancy riding an event in North Wales', response, 'When are you going to fix the shower, winter up the garden, and clean out the shed then?'

Please let us all know how it goes though.
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • Sorry Petemadoc, I am not going to be able to register you as discussed in earlier post.

I failed to negotiate the requisite credits for a trip to North Wales, it went something like this, 'I fancy riding an event in North Wales', response, 'When are you going to fix the shower, winter up the garden, and clean out the shed then?'

Please let us all know how it goes though.

http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/

Eleven :twisted:
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I'll be taking part in the Etape, watch out for a red Planet X :)
  • Have been cycling on parts of the etape Cymru course for the last few weeks. I think world's end is the hardest climb - although I just about managed to cycle up it on a 39-28. I would advise most riders to get off at the ford and carry the bike over - it is extremely easy to fall off there. The descent from world's end down to minera is a bit hairy with a tight bend at the bottom. After the first 30 miles, the rest of the ride should be ok. Was very impressed with downhill section just before the last climb (the shelf) - wide straight fast roads. Looking forward to seeing people at the ride on the 9th oct.
    JD_76 wrote:
    Rode the first 30 miles of the route yesterday, and some of the climbs are brutal - particulaly worlds end - help mum...

The only place that was a bit hairy due to the road surface being poor was the descent from the moors road into Minera/Coedpoeth.
    Will need to be on the brakes all the way for that one to dodge the potholes, only a few hundred meters though so not so bad.

The new road surface round the panorama is lovely and smooth, the later part was re-surfaced with loose stone and tar but this has now settled nicely where the cars have been going over it, so isnt an issue at all.

Looking forward to the day.
  • petemadoc
    Have been cycling on parts of the etape Cymru course for the last few weeks. I think world's end is the hardest climb - although I just about managed to cycle up it on a 39-28. I would advise most riders to get off at the ford and carry the bike over - it is extremely easy to fall off there. The descent from world's end down to minera is a bit hairy with a tight bend at the bottom. After the first 30 miles, the rest of the ride should be ok. Was very impressed with downhill section just before the last climb (the shelf) - wide straight fast roads. Looking forward to seeing people at the ride on the 9th oct.
    JD_76 wrote:
    Rode the first 30 miles of the route yesterday, and some of the climbs are brutal - particulaly worlds end - help mum...

The only place that was a bit hairy due to the road surface being poor was the descent from the moors road into Minera/Coedpoeth.
    Will need to be on the brakes all the way for that one to dodge the potholes, only a few hundred meters though so not so bad.

The new road surface round the panorama is lovely and smooth, the later part was re-surfaced with loose stone and tar but this has now settled nicely where the cars have been going over it, so isnt an issue at all.

I'm really looking forward to this now although I am a little scared. I know I can climb and I know I can cycle 100 miles but doing so much climbing over this distance I've never done before.

Thanks for the tips posted above. Have you got any more advice on the roads and climbs? Just want to be able to pace myself properly and know what to look out for.

From what I've gathered so far worlds end is the first big climb and possibly the steepest and the descent should be taken with extreme care, this ford that's been mentioned is it on the way up or down? Are there any other descents with dodgy road surfaces?

I really don't want to get caught by this broom waggon, how humiliating! 12mph sounds so slow but with so much uphill right from the start . . . . .
  • JD_76
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    I'm really looking forward to this now although I am a little scared. I know I can climb and I know I can cycle 100 miles but doing so much climbing over this distance I've never done before.

Thanks for the tips posted above. Have you got any more advice on the roads and climbs? Just want to be able to pace myself properly and know what to look out for.

From what I've gathered so far worlds end is the first big climb and possibly the steepest and the descent should be taken with extreme care, this ford that's been mentioned is it on the way up or down? Are there any other descents with dodgy road surfaces?

I really don't want to get caught by this broom waggon, how humiliating! 12mph sounds so slow but with so much uphill right from the start . . . . .

Hi Pete, the Garth is the first challenging climb on the route although there is a little kicker before that when you turn right by the CO-OP in johnstown, worlds end then closely follows the Garth after a lovely bit of smooth descending allong the panorama, deffo take in the views on that bit.

The forde isnt so bad, I cycle over it no probs, its on a sharp left hand bend so the trick is to kind of stay as far to the right as possible then cross at a right angle, this makes sure your as up-right as possible. If your leaning any you might fall off as the road surface is covered in slippy green slime, its on the ascent so you will be going very slowly anyway.

As for the broom wagon I see myself being caught and then maybe re-taking back past as purely some of these climbs like worlds end I can only manage 6mph of so on the steepest parts.
  • Just make sure you have low enough gears - I changed my cassette to an 11-28 - so my lowest gear is 39-28. This is ok for the steepest climbs (the garth has a max gradient of 16% and world's end at is steepest may be 20%). However these climbs are relatively short. The horseshoe pass and the shelf are longer climbs but with less of a gradient. Once you are over world's end, it will get easier. All the best.
    PS - I'm still not risking cycling over the ford - I can see a lot of people coming off here
  • Have logged some of my preparation rides on my blog:
    chestercyclist.blogspot.com
  • petemadoc
    Some nice info on your blog. In particular the pic of the ford

P1000347.JPG

Hmm, walk and get your nice cycling shoes wet or go straight through and risk it
  • PeteMadoc wrote:
    Some nice info on your blog. In particular the pic of the ford

P1000347.JPG

Hmm, walk and get your nice cycling shoes wet or go straight through and risk it

When I came accross this ford, I rode across and promptly fell on my backside in the water, right in front of a couple who were about to go head off for a walk :oops: Be warned its slippery!
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Yep, I've fell off in there, but it was a really hot summer's day. Cyclist coming the opposite way saw me fall off, he wasn't even suprised.

I can 100% guarantee there will be lots of falls in that ford, if you're out spectating, set up there with a flask of coffee and some sarnies.
  • Nice to see everybody get ready for the Etape Cymru on the 9 th October just wanted to let you all Know that Llangollen-images.co.uk will be Photographing the Event and Prints will be on sale at our Website ! Good luck everyone !! Looking forward to the day
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Nice to see everybody get ready for the Etape Cymru on the 9 th October just wanted to let you all Know that Llangollen-images.co.uk will be Photographing the Event and Prints will be on sale at our Website ! Good luck everyone !! Looking forward to the day

Could you give GPS coordinates of the spots you'll be taking photographs from? That way I can pop them into my Garmin and make sure I conserve energy for epic sprints as I go past. And also breathe in.
  • Good luck everyone on Sunday! Wish I'd entered now absolutely gutted I won't be there. I'll be at the top of the Garth hill cheering on. Give us a wave. After you've got to the top you'll be treated to the panorama, the greatest view in north Wales. The ford at worlds end should be fine, just stay upright. You. wont hit it at speed, its halfway up the hill (unless youre super fast climber). Congratulations to the organisers, this is a beautiful place to ride, on and off road.
  • Ron Stuart
    Good luck everyone on Sunday! Wish I'd entered now absolutely gutted I won't be there. I'll be at the top of the Garth hill cheering on. Give us a wave. After you've got to the top you'll be treated to the panorama, the greatest view in north Wales. The ford at worlds end should be fine, just stay upright. You. wont hit it at speed, its halfway up the hill (unless youre super fast climber). Congratulations to the organisers, this is a beautiful place to ride, on and off road.

"You won't hit at speed" :!: .......hopefully you don't hit it at all, just ride across or walk :roll:

"just stay upright" :!: .......I think that might be the whole idea :roll:

"on and off road" :!: ......on road please, might leave the off bit out :roll:
  • dodgy
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    Good luck everyone on Sunday! Wish I'd entered now absolutely gutted I won't be there. I'll be at the top of the Garth hill cheering on. Give us a wave. After you've got to the top you'll be treated to the panorama, the greatest view in north Wales. The ford at worlds end should be fine, just stay upright. You. wont hit it at speed, its halfway up the hill (unless youre super fast climber). Congratulations to the organisers, this is a beautiful place to ride, on and off road.

"You won't hit at speed" :!: .......hopefully you don't hit it at all, just ride across or walk :roll:

Guy gives light hearted encouragement to other riders and you choose to deride him? Nice work.
  • PeteMadoc wrote:
    Have been cycling on parts of the etape Cymru course for the last few weeks. I think world's end is the hardest climb - although I just about managed to cycle up it on a 39-28. I would advise most riders to get off at the ford and carry the bike over - it is extremely easy to fall off there. The descent from world's end down to minera is a bit hairy with a tight bend at the bottom. After the first 30 miles, the rest of the ride should be ok. Was very impressed with downhill section just before the last climb (the shelf) - wide straight fast roads. Looking forward to seeing people at the ride on the 9th oct.
    JD_76 wrote:

If you start at 8am sharp, you will have a 45 minutes head start on the broom wagon so @ 12mph + the 45 mins, you have 8hr45mins to get in before humiliation.
    1nca
  • The-beast
    The-beast Posts: 140
    6191ft of climbing is 1887m, and over 100 miles i think most people will be surprised how easy it will be, must be quite a lot of flat rd in between these climbs, i did pendle predator this year that was 3800m over 100 miles and that was obtainable by a lot of people, don't worry about getting caught by broom wagon, setting of 45 mins before will make the difference unless your seriously unfit
  • petemadoc
    dodgy wrote:
    Ron Stuart wrote:

Guy gives light hearted encouragement to other riders and you choose to deride him? Nice work.

Hmmmm, yeah, no need for that post really. Thanks for the encouragement Edward.

The weather is not looking good for Sunday :( This was my main concern when booking an event in October. Saying that though the weather is probably better now than it was in August.

What's are people going to wear? It's going to be flippin freezing at 7.30 but it'll warm up a bit and it looks like it will almost certainly rain at some point.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've ridden the ford loads of times - and never even seen anyone fall in it ? Now I'm scared though !

If i was riding I'd go for shorts, armwarmers start off in a gilet and have a light rainjacket in reserve. Sorted.
  • Ron Stuart
    Don't get yah knickers in a twist, it was mean't as a bit of fun, chill out :shock:
  • dodgy
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    Don't get yah knickers in a twist, it was mean't as a bit of fun, chill out :shock:

Oh I see :roll:

Cougie, honestly, I know loads of lads from around these (our) parts that have gone over in it. It's the moss just below the surface that gets you.
  • JD_76
    What to wear on the day.

Tomorrow after registering im going to return home via the horseshoe pass in the car and see what the temperature is, ill post it here if it helps people?

If its similar to today im thinking: Shorts, Overshoes, Jersey, Arm-warmers and Gillet - with a fold up waterproof jacket in my jersey pocket.

If colder add leg-warmers to the mix, if really cold break out the assos 851.

Decisions decisions. :?:
  • petemadoc
    JD_76 wrote:

If its similar to today im thinking: Shorts, Overshoes, Jersey, Arm-warmers and Gillet - with a fold up waterproof jacket in my jersey pocket.

This is exactly what I was thinking, similar to what cougie said. Problem is the only Gillet I own won't fit in a jersey pocket, maybe the freebie they're giving out will be more suitable. Looking forward to it now although I have managed to be get struck by man flu today :( won't let it stop me though :)
  • petemadoc
    PeteMadoc wrote:

This is exactly what I was thinking, similar to what cougie said. Problem is the only Gillet I own won't fit in a jersey pocket, maybe the freebie they're giving out will be more suitable. Looking forward to it now although I have managed to be get struck by man flu today :( won't let it stop me though :)

OK so just got an email that the Gilets have been cancelled, hmmmmm. Might have to go shopping tomorrow.