Boardman CX Owners Thread

Comments

• essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Looks like I've worn out my BB bearings, been noticing a bit of creaking now and then and it's developed a small bit of play.

How easy are BB30 bearings to change...do I NEED the special tool?
  • ElliottDavo
    ElliottDavo Posts: 151
    Hammer and a plank of wood
  • fret
    fret Posts: 439
    :lol: Don't forget the WD40, gaffer tape, cable ties and magic mending words.

I came across the Ultegfra Di2 demonstrator at the weekend in Hargroves, Fareham. Amazing to watch it work with no noise.
    IwantIwantIwantIwantIwant.

But no good for a CX bike really or winter as I can see many fluffed gearchanges with thick gloves on.
    Modded CX 8.5kg, SRAM red/Force
    Planet-X XLS Flanders Ultegra
    Triumph Tiger 1200
    Double Bass, Fender 75 Jazz Bass, Fender 94 Fretless Jazz, 2014 Fender Precision Bass, 2007 Rickenbacker 4003, Fender Modern Player 5 String
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    fret wrote:
    I came across the Ultegfra Di2 demonstrator at the weekend

Hope you wiped it down afterwards. :wink:
  • Read this forum all the way through and you guys seem a very knowledgeable lot!

Anyway, I took the plunge and get to pick up my CX Team on Saturday :D

Is there anything I should look for in particular when I collect it?

Thanks
  • Looks like I've worn out my BB bearings, been noticing a bit of creaking now and then and it's developed a small bit of play.

How easy are BB30 bearings to change...do I NEED the special tool?

Not if you're careful but I'm a bit OCD and like having the right gear so bought the park removal tool and a Cyclus headset press which I'd probably use again. That said two of my bikes have bb30, I'd risk the CX but not the Cannondale.
  • fret
    Is there anything I should look for in particular when I collect it?

Be prepared to ride it a lot and then start spending money on lots of nice farkles for it.

I've now had mine since November, 2nd CX bike and the first with discs. Looks as if the brake pads will need replacing soon, but it has been used practically every day for the 18 mile round trip to work in all weathers, completed a 50 mile off road sportive and several off road excursions. Only had to adjust the rear shifter cable once in that time.

The only thing to look out for (from my experience)is/are
    Change the OEM rim tape, in fact INSIST on it before you pay or pick up the bike as it really is rubbish and WILL lead to punctures.
    OEM front mech is awful, upgrade ASAP.
    Headstock can work loose
    BB can creak if not greased
    Front quick release on mine is not brilliant and the front wheel often rocks under braking as it works loose. It's not just the OEM one, the Kinesis and Titanium skewers also suffer, you need to tighten them far more than on a rim braked bike as I reckon it's the force of the front brake that loosens it.
    Get a better saddle, in my case I have a Specialized Phenom.

Not really criticisms, just personal observations. I'm now actually gelling with the bike. It has taken far longer than the old CX9 Cannondale, but I do love the bike. It's just been put to one side this week as it's summer at last and the CF road bike is being used.
    Most is just normal wear and tear on a bike that is used as a commuter.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
    Double Bass, Fender 75 Jazz Bass, Fender 94 Fretless Jazz, 2014 Fender Precision Bass, 2007 Rickenbacker 4003, Fender Modern Player 5 String
  • Thanks for that detailed reply! Like you I am expecting to keep spending for a while, but can't wait to get out on it for a blast!

I had a feeling about the rim tape, although the bike man at my store seems very switched on so I look forward to checking his work out! And i've read many posts about the BB's needing grease - that's a definite check for me.

I'm almost praying for a bit of weekend rain so I can see what it can do!
  • Blimey 1000 posts in this thread! :shock:

Took the plunge and bought a Team CX a month ago, mainly for commuting to work and a bit of trying to get fit. I love it though its difficult to get used to the bent down riding position after coming from only riding mountain bikes.

I have a question which may seem stupid but I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to bike set up.... I've just changed my tyres to 25c Gatorskins to help with the daily commute but I'd like to be able to switch in some gripper tyres on the odd weekend that I might go a bit off-road. I have 2 wheels complete with discs, tyres and cassette from my previous Boardman Team FS MTB. I know the wheel size is different but should these fit the CX? To answer the obvious question, I can't just ride the MTB as a not-so-kind (drink) driver buckled the frame (and put me in hospital) but most of the rest of the bike seems fine.

Cheers for any advice anyone can give!
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    Tyres will be far too wide for the CX as well as the wheels not being large enough, although it probably would fit just not look or feel right. Ideally new set of wheels and then swap over the components then put then put the OEM tyres on them. Failing that just swap tyres every time.
  • Thanks - thought it might not be a good idea.

So the discs etc from the MTB wheels should just transfer to the new wheels? Do I need to buy a special type of wheel? Don't really fancy swapping tyres each time - the skinny tyres took some fitting!
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    Yeh discs should be 160 (CX is 160), don't quote me though as the front one may be 180. Cassette should also be a good size provided it's 10spd.

Wheelswise any 700c disc/10spd compatible will do.
  • Rusty G.
    Rusty G. Posts: 1
    Hello all and long time reader - first time poster.

I am in communication with a dealer here in the USA to have them "special order" me a CX pro in size XL. I have been extensively researching and reading up on this bike and have been in touch with, Boardman, Wiggle, and the LBS that would be handling the order for me. As it's a special order bike, no returns will be accepted. The LBS is on the west coast and I reside on the east coast - so after sale there will not be the chance really to have any issues resolved. My worry is that once the bike arrives and have put some miles on it, the contingent of it not fitting like I want raises a concern. I want to make the best decision with regards to fit to mitigate any possible problems or tweaking with the stem and seat.

I am tall, thin, and proportioned. I am 193cm (6'-3.5") tall. I do not plan on racing this bike (but who knows in the future?). It will be used primarily for commuting and long rides on mixed surfaces. I live close to a 60 mile long canal path that will see a lot use. This bike fits the bill on all accounts. Everyone I have spoken with states that the XL is the size, but have read accounts of a L working too. Anyone here as tall as I am and can pass along their experience with sizing on this great bike?

I greatly appreciate all the input on my query and look forward to any and all replies. Cheers!

All the best,

Russ
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Russ - at that height you MUST be an XL. I'm 3" shorter than you and I was very happy on an L
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Burndust
    Burndust Posts: 100
    so a question on alternative wheels and tyres...i currently use the stock wheels with marathon plus 35s....which are bomb proof but bloody heavy...especially on the hills!...so i'm looking at a lighter and better rolling combo...tyres will prob be gp2000 25s but i've no idea when it comes to wheels
    Boardman CX Team
    Carerra Crossfire 2
  • Bubaloo
    Bubaloo Posts: 14
    Another question on tyres, this time including mudguards.

Wanting full mudguards I had Surbiton Cycles fit 28mm Gatorskins and SKS Bluemels 700 X 25-35 as posted by cookdn in this forum. They look great but I have a slight issue in that the Gators are a through and through road tyre. I have a stretch of my commute which takes in an unmade canal towpath which can get slickly muddy.

Has anyone found a tyre which will give clearence to work with the SKS mudguards above? I have seen Schwalbe CX Pro Light Folding Cyclocross Tyres on wiggle which at 30mm wide may work.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-cx-pro-light-folding-cyclocross-tyre/

Any one have suggestions?

It's a pity I didn't see them sooner as I have already forked out £60 on the Gators (although they are very good road tyres).
  • Just a bit of an update for anyone still looking to buy a CX Team from Halfords...

When I went in to the store and said about the web discount making it cheaper on line the Manager was very quick to say he could match any web price in store as well.

Web Price currently £949.00 with a £60 discount (current offer) - you can't however use the British Cycling discount online.

In store price £949.00, but manager matched it to £889.99 and then applied British Cycling 10% discount on that to bring it to £809.00 (and then a cheeky bit of haggling got me some MTB SPD pedals for free and a Boardman Team Helmet)

Shop around and get the best deal you can!

Hope this helps another newbie somewhere along the line..... :D
  • fret
    I have some Kinesis CX wheels oon mine, 300g lighter I think.

But it still feels HEAVY after riding a CF bike all week.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • Burndust
    hey fret...yeah been considering getting an all singing all dancing road bike...with di2.....was advised to look at the mavic kyrium elites as possible replacement wheels.....your option is half the price of the mavic so def worth considering btw reading through this thread i noticed your a fellow bass player :D
    Boardman CX Team
    Carerra Crossfire 2
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    Burndust wrote:
    hey fret...yeah been considering getting an all singing all dancing road bike...with di2.....was advised to look at the mavic kyrium elites as possible replacement wheels.....your option is half the price of the mavic so def worth considering btw reading through this thread i noticed your a fellow bass player :D

This bike needs disc compatible wheel set so none of your racy wheels here mate! :D
  • htsw5
    htsw5 Posts: 72
    Rusty - I'm 6' 3" and the XL works for me.

I work on the principle given the limited nunber of people taller than me I must get the biggest size.
  • meanredspider
    tincaman wrote:
    Burndust wrote:

This bike needs disc compatible wheel set so none of your racy wheels here mate! :D

Really?
    http://volagi.com/bikes/ignite-sl-wheelset :wink::wink: 8)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • relik
    relik Posts: 13
    I also upgraded to the Kinesis Crosslight CX wheels. £230 from fatbirds. They've done me right so far.

As for my problem with noisy BB7's. I took the spring /clip out and stretched it considerably further apart than it was originally which seems to have eased off the rattle a fair bit.

Thanks again for the replies.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Just fitted my new wheels - H-Plus-Sun Archetype rims on American Classic 130/225 hubs with D-Light spokes. About 220grams lighter than the Crosslights, so over 500grams less than the standard wheels.

Havent tried them yet, but they look lovely and seem sooo light.

Also moving from Vittoria Zaffiro cheapo tyres to Continental GP4000S front/4 Seasons rear - so even more weight saving and supposedly more grip AND less rolling resistance.

Cant wait to get out for a blast on them!
  • Burndust
    well just finished a 55 miler round the trosachs....yeah def new tyres at the very least....off to canada in on the 19th for my holidays...so i'll stick the bike into my LBS for a service and get some gp4000s 25s added at the same time...i'd do it sooner but my bike is like my car and is used daily so cant be without it
    Boardman CX Team
    Carerra Crossfire 2
  • fret
    Burndust, yes I am a mad as a hatter bass player.
    Double bass with The Marvels from the South of England, OK Portsmouth area, one of the more exciting Rockabilly bands around at present I think, played a gig in Southampton last night as headline, which was good for us. And bass with a couple of other bands on and off, MOR type covers stuff.

I'm still looking for lighter wheels in the UK at a non-ridiculous price. By the time you add those rather scrummy sex-wee inducing "ignite" wheels listed you may just as well bought a CF Cannondale Super X Hi-Mod Disc for £3500. But then I wouldn't be using that as a daily commuter either :lol:

I still prefer Gatorskins, especially the folding ones as, at 220g for 23mm, they are no heavier than many all season tyres and puncture protection is paramount to me. I may try the gp4000 as they seem to offer similar performance though.

I just removed my seat bag yesterday, jeez it's 'kin heavy as it contains the following :oops:
    2 23 tubes
    2 tyre levers
    1 multitool type thing
    1 puncture repair kit
    1 waterproof jacket
    1 waterproof trousers.
    Even though the w/proofs fold up really small and the bag is not that large I was surprised at how much it weighs. Still, it's needed for our lovely climate
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • Burndust
    aye....been thinking about it some more just gonna replace the tyres...i will be getting a road bike anyway and i rekon switching from the marathons which are almost 1kg each and really slow to something 1.5kg lighter and less resistance should make a difference...i believe the gp4000s are slightly lighter than the gators and offer similar puncture protection..
    also important to me...there faster rolling than gators too aparantly....whats the bike like on 23s i was considering the 25s
    Boardman CX Team
    Carerra Crossfire 2
  • Burndust
    i used to do a lot of gigging up here....glasgow & edinburgh but got sick of all the crap that goes with being in a band so gave it up......thats quite an impressive "go bag" personally i stick a £20 along with my mobile sealed in a jiffy bag in the back of cycling shirt...to phone a taxi if it goes pete tong when i'm out lol
    Boardman CX Team
    Carerra Crossfire 2
  • meanredspider
    You should go with the Ignite ELs - at $600. They're good wheels - it's what my Volagi came with.

BTW - don't go believing that GP4000Ss have anything like the puncture protection of Gatorskins - it just isn't true.

The tyre that I've found the best combination is the Vittoria Rubino Pro. I think it rolls as well as the GP4000S and has better puncture protection than the Gatorskins and is very light too. Better still, it can be found cheaper than either. My tyre collection has all three types but I go back over and over to the Rubinos. In the 400 miles from London to Edinburgh, I got 2 flats with the GP4000Ss. That's about as many as it get in 4000 miles on the Rubinos.

I almost never use waterproofs. The only exception is if I'm stopped and it's raining.
  • fret
    Waterproofs are essential for commuting if you don't want to freeze. Getting wet in the cold is no fun and could lead to far worse than just getting wet. I hate wearing them in the late spring and summer as I overheat quite easily.

By the very nature of their construction 4000S' do not have the same inbuilt puncture protection. Admittedly with properly inflated tyres you shouldn't get pinch punctures, but in my experience over the last 7 years I can highly recommend gatorskins and an even better tyre was the Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase which I had ONE puncture after 9 months and almost 4000 miles of continual use, but are heavier than Gatorskins but cheaper. I have 2 slits in them which have been repaired with a large patch inside thetyre and supergluing the split together, which seems to work and are now my spares.
    My first set of gators lasted 2 years and 8000 miles so that was good enough for me. :lol:
    Strangely the Vittoria Rubinos don't get brilliant reviews yet I know your experience of various matters in cycling are based on experience and not to be ignored.
    But, all tyres will have good and bad and it's simply luck of the draw whether you get a flat or not and NOTHING will stop flints, so any arguments as to which are "best" will always rely on personal experiences.

I will put better tyres on the road bike as the Vredestein Ricorsas I have on it have several slits after a couple of month's use and I will always put puncture protection before ultimate weight and speed at my age and fitness levels.
    Plus I'm a skinflint and like tyres to last a long time.

Oh and you WILL get a puncture with brand new tyres, especially if you don't let them age a bit first. :wink:
    And ALWAYS keep the tyres inflated to the correct pressures.
    Triumph Tiger 1200