Boardman CX Owners Thread

Comments

• Davsy
    Davsy Posts: 17
    Does anyone know if this bike will come back in stock in Halfords or if that's it for the 2012 model? Quite fancy getting one through the c2w scheme but the small frame isn't on the site anymore and the medium is not available for home/shop delivery, only at shops with existing stock.
  • sorry to be lazy but can the microshift FD be swapped out for a Shimano FD or would only an SRAM one work? I had a chain suck incident this morning which has bent out the cage. I think I've sorted it with a bit of brute force but in case it hasn't was thinking of replacing it.

TIA
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    sorry to be lazy but can the microshift FD be swapped out for a Shimano FD or would only an SRAM one work? I had a chain suck incident this morning which has bent out the cage. I think I've sorted it with a bit of brute force but in case it hasn't was thinking of replacing it.

TIA

No problem, I replaced my Microshift with a Shimano due to the MS being too stiff.
  • cheers for that, may have a spare 105 FD somewhere! :D
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    sorry to be lazy but can the microshift FD be swapped out for a Shimano FD or would only an SRAM one work? I had a chain suck incident this morning which has bent out the cage. I think I've sorted it with a bit of brute force but in case it hasn't was thinking of replacing it.

TIA

One of the first things I did was replace the Microshift one with a SRAM Rival one, then tyres, then saddle, then brakes to BB7, then bartape, then stem.........
  • :) I've done the tyres and put mudguards on it but nothing major yet. Still in the honeymoon period I guess?
  • tincaman
    Coming up for a year now and the bottom bracket is making a clicking sound, again. Must get it back to them to replace it before the 12 months is up, last time it was just greased.
  • Fitted mudguards

DSC02052.jpg

Hi Arthur - what mudguards are these? They look great.

Anyone else got recommendations as to effective and light-ish mudguards for the CX?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've got sks bleumels. They look like the ones above, they work pretty well. No idea of weight though.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    whatever13 wrote:
    Anyone else got recommendations as to effective and light-ish mudguards for the CX?

You can read about and see mine on page 2 of this thread. Overe 12 months old now and not even needed a tweak (the mudguards I mean, not me).
  • Thanks gents - so after a bit (ok a lot!!) of trawling through the thread it seems SKS is a popular choice. I like the look of the chromoplastics.

I have a CX Pro on order. I'm going to run 28c GP 4 Seasons for the everyday commute. Really keen to take it off road but realistically it will be a rare event (I have an mtb for that) - when going off road I'll put the stock tyres back on. What would you guys recommend on sizing of the guards? 35mm which is for 20-28c or 45mm which is 28c-37c (according to CRC)? I am assuming the latter size would accomodate the stock tyres - is that right?

If the guards are easy to remove I'd probably rather go the skinnier guards and take them off for the off-road outings (don't like the idea of guards off-road anyway) - but if it's a pain to do then I'd go for the larger guards.

Any recommendations?
  • bails87
    I got the wider ones. Not for off road (they'd probably get clogged up with mud) but for fitting around my 35mm Marathon Winters.
    MTB/CX

• whatever13 wrote:
    Fitted mudguards

DSC02052.jpg

Hi Arthur - what mudguards are these? They look great.

Hi - they're SKS Chromoplastics, front stays need a bit of careful bending to miss the brake caliper but not hard (see earlier pics), these are the 35mm wide version and are fine on 28c tyres (I've got 28 Schwalbe Marathons fitted but considering swapping to lighter/narrower tyres)
  • Thanks all.

I've ordered the Bluemels in the narrower size and will take them off for off-road adventures.

I noticed your handy-work on the stays - nice work. Will have the pliers and dremel on standby for bending/trimming action.
  • Cheers, I found I needed to trim the front mudguard stays but the back were a perfect fit and went straight on - which was nice!
  • loaderm
    loaderm Posts: 18
    Hi guys, my CX is around 6 months old and I do a fair bit of tinkering to get it running smoothly. Couple of questions though:- Is it worth changing the microshift FD,will this make changes lighter?

Is it worth changing the wheelset to a lighter set - any suggestions?

How often should I take out the crank and grease the BB30 - it was removed and greased by Halfords from new because the mechanic was never convinced of the factory build process. No noises as of yet - I just don't want any!!!

Cheers
  • bails87
    Changing the shifters to Shimano 105 made a huge difference. I think a lot of the 'weight' of the FD shifts is in the Apex lever rather than the mech.
    MTB/CX

• tincaman
    I changed the FD to a Rival one, slightly lighter action
    A shifter change will be expensive, you will need a rear mech as well
  • bails87
    tincaman wrote:
    True, luckily my Apex shifters and mech sold for more than the cost of the brand new Shimano 105 that replaced it :?
    MTB/CX

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    bails87 wrote:
    tincaman wrote:
    True, luckily my Apex shifters and mech sold for more than the cost of the brand new Shimano 105 that replaced it :?

Yes - when I made that change to my CX, I found selling the bits made a big dent in the 105 bill (I still have a fair few 105 bits left over from the Merlin-sourced set) which would probably fill that gap. 105 felt sooooo much better.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • tincaman
    Since changing the stem, I have been unable to tighten the headset properly, the crappy compression plug keeps lifting out. Fitted a new Deda one today, now all sorted

Old one
    2012-08-04%2013.18.33.jpg

New one, spot the difference
    51vM8AN6kGL.jpg
  • cookdn
    cookdn Posts: 410
    Dunno - the CX hanger seems to be unique to the CX. There's a aftermarket version available (see further up the thread) though hard to find and expensive. I got a replacement direct from Boardman by contacting them but Halfords should be able to supply spares in less than 7 weeks - after all, it's about the only part on the entire frame that's unique and that you couldn't replace with a generic part.

Did you ever get hold of a replacement rear gear hanger through Halfords?

Mines bent, the LBS are going to straighten it for me but it really needs to be replaced. If they are like rocking horse poo it is probably worth having a spare anyway. Interestingly the guy at the LBS immediately compared it to a Pinarello compatible hanger as this is correct for the Boardman Road frames in his experience.

Best regards
    David
    Boardman CX Team
  • tincaman
    Time now to fit 105 shifters and mech. Picked up shifters and medium cage mech, 105 5700 nearly new items for £135, hope to get back a good part of that by selling the Apex shifters and rear mech. Always look after my gear so the shifters are nearly new condition
  • Hi,
    Just in the market for a new bike and very interested in the Boardman CX Team. I'm 6 foot 4 with a 35 inch inseam. The X large frame is only 57.5cm, Am I too big for it? are there any other tall riders out there with with the Bardman CX? On Bike sizing charts it always suggests a 60cm-62cm frame.........

Any advice much appreciated
  • cookdn
    Looks like the relatively consistent dry weather is over and I need to fit mudguards to my CX Team. SKS Chromplastics seem to be the popular choice here but I am a bit confused over the correct choice of size for my tyre width :?.

Currently I have 28mm Continental Gatorskins fitted. What is the better choice 700x20-28 'Narrow' or 700x35-38 'Wide'. I guess I have the clearance for either. Will the 'narrow' size be difficult to fit as my tyre size is at the upper limit? Will the 'wide' size just look silly because of the relative size difference to the tyre?

All advice/opinions appreciated.

Best regards
    David
    Boardman CX Team
  • see my pics on page 23, I'm running the 28 narrow mudguard with Schwalbe Marathons plus - 28's which are fairly chunky. I think it looks fine and have had no clearance problems. Even gone mildly off-road will no ill effects.
  • cookdn
    see my pics on page 23, I'm running the 28 narrow mudguard with Schwalbe Marathons plus - 28's which are fairly chunky. I think it looks fine and have had no clearance problems. Even gone mildly off-road will no ill effects.

Thanks for that. I had only seen essex-commuter's pics and there was no mention of tyre size etc.

Not sure I can return my bike back to the showroom polish of your's in the pictures but it certainly needs a good clean. Hopefully if I can get the mudguards for the weekend there will be some fettling going on.

Best regards
    David
    Boardman CX Team
  • bails87
    I've got the wider SKS bleumels on mine, for when I put 35mm Winter tyres on. It doesn't look odd with the 25mm GP4Seasons tbh.
    MTB/CX

• cookdn
    Went into the LBS today and they sold me a pair of ETC Road 700 x 25-32 Mudguards. I am returning them due to two problems.

Firstly the front guard only has one pair of stays, shouldn't be an issue if they fit ok. But they don't due to the second problem, the steel bracket for attaching the guard to the top of the front fork is unnecessarily short making it impossible to fit the guard properly. This causes the front of the guard to dip towards the tyre and a large gap between the tyre and the back of the guard.

Now I know why the front guard stay clips on my wife's Trek Hybrid are always disconnecting (fitted by the BS near to her work who supplied the bike); the bracket on her SKS front guard is also too short causing tension in the stay connected to the back part of the front guard. On closer inspection the BS have tried to increase the length of the bracket by cutting out the top making it into a fork shape and then clamping it with the bolt. Still not long enough. :-(

Has anyone else had a similar problem? If so how did they get round it? The pictures provided by essex-commuter and Arthur Scrimshaw show really good fitting guards.

Best regards
    David
    Boardman CX Team
  • cookdn
    bails87 wrote:
    I've got the wider SKS bleumels on mine, for when I put 35mm Winter tyres on. It doesn't look odd with the 25mm GP4Seasons tbh.

bails, I've followed your lead and ordered SKS Blumels - Black Wide (700x25-35) from Wiggle. Fingers crossed they'll arrive on Wednesday so I can fit them in the workshop at work and do my one-way commute Wednesday PM and Thursday AM.

Any fitting tips to pass on?

Best regards
    David
    Boardman CX Team