Any photography bods?

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    mkirby wrote:
    Not read the whole thread. But wanted to add my slant.

I shoot Medium Format with a Pentax 645. It beats any full frame digital into the ground for quality and resolution. The lenses are amazing and they can be had for not a lot of money.

Its about as large as a full frame DSLR and heavy but is rock solid. It is completely manual which is good, it means you actually learn what you are doing and how to take a shot.

Worth looking into especially if like me landscapes are your thing.

Thread synopsis: Been shooting full manual for many many years, my small format DSLR isn't very social on weekends away, want the same quality in a smaller package, M43 sytem has caught my eye, now saving for a GF-3 + 20mm f/1.7 pancake.

Might pass on medium format ;)
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    OK, first attempt!!

6058243115_02f45b1575.jpg
    P1000442 by lee_st0kes, on Flickr
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    Paul E wrote:
    RichardSwt wrote:
    If I remember correctly Panasonic are the digital 'brains' behind Leica's digital cameras.

Once upon a time there were near identical cameras in Panasonic's and Leica's range, the only difference being the case and the menus were made to look different. Of course the Panasonic was considerably cheaper.

I don't know 100% if this is still the case, but I suspect it is.

On a side note, no Nikon users here? I have a 5 year old D200 and Nikkor 17-55G f2.8. Love the D200, but can't wait for the replacement for the D300s to be announced. I have funds waiting, as soon as I can pre-order it I'll be on it!

Not a user but I have assisted on a film shoot where we were using a nikon for it's hd res and the low light capability, it was awesome to use and very little noise even at silly iso's

That sounds like the D3s. I have one mainly for my gig work (See Flickr link. :D ) alongside a bucket full of 2.8 lenses.
    But for day to day stuff I've just bought an Olympus XZ1 compact jobby, and it's a little cracker!

Graham. :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Paul E wrote:
    RichardSwt wrote:
    If I remember correctly Panasonic are the digital 'brains' behind Leica's digital cameras.

Once upon a time there were near identical cameras in Panasonic's and Leica's range, the only difference being the case and the menus were made to look different. Of course the Panasonic was considerably cheaper.

On a side note, no Nikon users here? I have a 5 year old D200 and Nikkor 17-55G f2.8. Love the D200, but can't wait for the replacement for the D300s to be announced. I have funds waiting, as soon as I can pre-order it I'll be on it!

Not a user but I have assisted on a film shoot where we were using a nikon for it's hd res and the low light capability, it was awesome to use and very little noise even at silly iso's

That's one reason I'm looking forward to a upgrade, my D200 doesn't do video, would be fun to play around with.
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    RichardSwt wrote:
    Paul E wrote:
    RichardSwt wrote:

That's one reason I'm looking forward to a upgrade, my D200 doesn't do video, would be fun to play around with.

Have tried a bit of video with the D3s and not overly impressed, though that was'nt one of the reasons for buying it so I'm not overly botherd.
    I will say though that Cannon are streets ahead with regards to video. :evil:
    Graham.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    RichardSwt wrote:

The Leica thing is what swung it for me to get the Panasonic LX5. Good camera and handy to have when you want to go light but still nowhere near as good as my Nikon D200. I still take the Nikon anywhere that I can carry the bag or continually hold the camera. Parties and cycle trips etc, it is the Panny.
    I too am waiting on the next generation Nikons. The question is will it be a D400 or D800? I like the convenience of DX and my 17-55 and hope Nikon fully support it in future but the low noise in low light of full frame is appealing.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Anonymous
    daviesee wrote:
    RichardSwt wrote:

The Leica thing is what swung it for me to get the Panasonic LX5. Good camera and handy to have when you want to go light but still nowhere near as good as my Nikon D200. I still take the Nikon anywhere that I can carry the bag or continually hold the camera. Parties and cycle trips etc, it is the Panny.
    I too am waiting on the next generation Nikons. The question is will it be a D400 or D800? I like the convenience of DX and my 17-55 and hope Nikon fully support it in future but the low noise in low light of full frame is appealing.

I think we've already had a glimpse with the D7000. All the reviews of it seem pretty amazing. Picture quality is by many measures better than a D300s and pretty much on par with a D700!

I'm tempted to get one, but only tempted. I know it won't have the feel of my D200. It's still going to feel like a D90/D70 ect.

I'm hoping it's only a matter of time before they put the D7000 internals in a decent body with a proper shutter.
  • iPete
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    OK, first attempt!!

6058243115_02f45b1575.jpg
    P1000442 by lee_st0kes, on Flickr

Superb! this is the reason I'm so interested, capturing moments like this in low light with shallow DoF and amazing quality!
  • FoldingJoe
    Cheers iPete,

For me, the GF-1 is the perfect blend of form and function. I think I've got a nice little shot of it somewhere with the Konica 40mm on which i'll post up!!

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    RichardSwt wrote:

The Leica had different firmware which effected the jpg output, making it look more neutral, less bright and contrasty.

Think cheap consumer colour neg film Vs fuji reala. If you don't know what I'm talking about don't worry ;)

It also had a mat black case and the Leica logo :D

Both shared the Carl Zeiss lenses. There were other adjustments that (so I heard) involved the cameras being shipped from Japan to Germany and back, but I have my doubts about that one.
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    mkirby wrote:
    Not read the whole thread. But wanted to add my slant.

I shoot Medium Format with a Pentax 645. It beats any full frame digital into the ground for quality and resolution. The lenses are amazing and they can be had for not a lot of money.

You must be right because everyone is shooting on film 645 cameras nowadays

Oh, Hang on :roll: :D

Have you shot with a 1dsmkII with L series lenses and compared it?

Just what are you going to use all this extra "quality and resolution" for?

At a guess you'll loose all that magical quality and resolution when you come to either scan it in to be published or print it and stick it behind a bit of glass and view it from 3 ft away.

But like I say it's just a guess ;)
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Anonymous
    snooks wrote:
    Think cheap consumer colour neg film Vs fuji reala. If you don't know what I'm talking about don't worry ;)

I'm proud to say I do know what you mean. I have a suitcase under the stairs full of pics of my first daughter on said media. 8)
  • FoldingJoe
    Quick shot of the GF-1 with the Konica lens on.

6068485655_b9d6715a18.jpg
    GF-1_Konica40mm by lee_st0kes, on Flickr

Photo quality itself isn't great as it was taken with my phone!! :oops:

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I must be getting into this photography lark.

I spent about 30 minutes in a shop (OK, PC World*) glancing at cameras and seriously looking at tripods but I've just found out that Mrs EKE (whose camera I'm using) also has a tripod for me to play with.

I went out at dusk to take some pictures (the sun setting over train tracks) and opened a Flickr account.
    I've started from absolute scratch and I'm quite happy with my progress over the last week.
    My pictures are now in focus!

*I know that PC World is the photography equivalent of going to Halfrauds for bike bits/advice.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Anonymous
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

I spent about 30 minutes in a shop (OK, PC World*) glancing at cameras and seriously looking at tripods but I've just found out that Mrs EKE (whose camera I'm using) also has a tripod for me to play with.

I went out at dusk to take some pictures (the sun setting over train tracks) and opened a Flickr account.
    I've started from absolute scratch and I'm quite happy with my progress over the last week.

*I know that PC World is the photography equivalent of going to Halfrauds for bike bits/advice.

Pics Or It didn't Happen. ;)

(I mean pics what you did take, don't need to see pics of you in PC World).
  • EKE_38BPM
    RichardSwt wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Pics Or It didn't Happen. ;)

(I mean pics what you did take, don't need to see pics of you in PC World).

www.flickr.com/photos/eke_38bpm

Just me learning how to use the camera and messing around. I don't think I'm ready for any galleries just yet.

• FoldingJoe
    E.K.E,

Some decent shots there. Maybe one thing to work on; your titles\descriptions!?!? ;)

BTW, that last one, isn't that a 1210?

• iPete
    Shall have a look at what you captured later!

Best thing to do (without scaring you off photography) is understand how you paint a picture on the sensor using Aperture, Shutter speed and ISO (light sensitivity). Also how focal length and aperture affect Depth of Field.

With this understood you can override the camera and shoot full Manual which has its benefits.

Also have a Google for the rule of thirds.

Eventually it becomes second nature like riding in traffic and instinctively looking out for the 101 things that can catch you out!
  • EKE_38BPM
    The pictures have titles! Lettuce 1, Lettuce 2 etc. What more do you need? "A study of lettuce after a summer shower"?!
    Yes, thats a 1210 tone arm. It says so in the title!
    No excuse for not tagging the pics, I just didn't think they were worth tagging.

• moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    Good pictures EKE,

Here is one of mine from last weekends Lea Valley cycle ride

6066930030_f716921c20.jpg
  • FoldingJoe
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    The pictures have titles! Lettuce 1, Lettuce 2 etc. What more do you need? "A study of lettuce after a summer shower"?!
    Yes, thats a 1210 tone arm. It says so in the title!
    No excuse for not tagging the pics, I just didn't think they were worth tagging.

A study of lettuce after a summer shower would be nice... :)

No, your picture says it's a 1200 tone arm!!! ;)

• EKE_38BPM
    You're right, 1200 is a typo it should be 1210 but I think the 1200 used the same tone arm but I may well be completely wrong. I'll correct it later.
    Thanks to all for the complements.

Bring on the family party at the weekend.

• iPete
    GF3 + 20mm f/1.7 in the post, wallet is hurting! I'm glad lenses don't devalue :oops:

Now to find the smallest shoulder bag possible for it. Why don't Crumpler sell 1 Million Dollar Homes in the UK!!
  • FoldingJoe
    Good choice.

I managed to pick up a Pretty Boy 4000 XL on eBay for 23.50, which is a great size for the camera plus a couple of other lenses.

• EKE_38BPM
    I've been out taking pictures. If you're interested, there are some here.

• Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I would look but photobucket is blocked here at work but flickr isn't, go figure
  • iPete
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    Good choice.

I managed to pick up a Pretty Boy 4000 XL on eBay for 23.50, which is a great size for the camera plus a couple of other lenses.

I'm after the smallest thing that can physically fit this combo. Crumpler Cupcake 1500 is a little too big so I'm going to ask workmates who are on travel to pick me up a Crumpler 1 Million Dollar Home, near impossible to get in the UK without crazy postage, grr!

Have a Muffin Top 7500 should I expand!

I love Crumpler :lol: why must all other camera bags look so dorky!
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    iPete wrote:
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    Good choice.

I'm after the smallest thing that can physically fit this combo. Crumpler Cupcake 1500 is a little too big so I'm going to ask workmates who are on travel to pick me up a Crumpler 1 Million Dollar Home, near impossible to get in the UK without crazy postage, grr!

Have a Muffin Top 7500 should I expand!

I love Crumpler :lol: why must all other camera bags look so dorky!

Most photographers don't care what the bag looks like as long as it protects the camera gear and doesn't fall apart after a year, I have only ever bought lowe pro bags for that reason
  • FoldingJoe
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I've been out taking pictures. If you're interested, there are some here.

Like the Acorn Crash one, E.K.E. :)

• iPete
    If your main aim is to go out shooting, of course, I have a Lowepro for carrying my body, 3 lenses and tripod, great for hiking the gear around remote locations etc. If I'm popping down the pub with my mates, I'll take looks and practicality.

The same goes for cycling kit, must look good and be practical, nothing wrong with having both with little compromise when its available.

Crumpler bags won't fall apart after a year either. Superb kit.