willy b wrote:
    I now work, live and commute in London. Much more fun :D

London just has a "buzz"

Yes, it's certainly very.....'vibrant'.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Rural Oxfordshire for me. A variety of routes from Wantage to Stanford in the Vale. Just the rat runners on their way to the station to avoid.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    bails87 wrote:
    willy b wrote:
    I now work, live and commute in London. Much more fun :D

London just has a "buzz"

Yes, it's certainly very.....'vibrant'.

You'll be needing those puncture-proof tyres today!
  • Another beautiful day up here in sunny Glasgow, birds are singing, sky is blue.
    Meanwhile in the City of London, the market goes into meltdown, brining the country to it's knees (once again).

Yes, its good to be far from the maddening crowd.

Pedant note: Hardy - Far from the madding crowd - sorry just one of those misquotes that irritates the hell out of me - nothing personal
    Nope - right first time. I also have done two tours of the Londinium Front Lines and frankly the crowd is very maddening.

I have a lovely 12-mile commute from the leafy southside suburbs of Clarkston to the not-so-leafy and slightly-more-edgy suburb of "Chapelle-de-Tambour" :lol:

Oh, and my name isn't Simon.
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Another beautiful day up here in sunny Glasgow, birds are singing, sky is blue.
    Meanwhile in the City of London, the market goes into meltdown, brining the country to it's knees (once again).

Yes, its good to be far from the maddening crowd.

Pedant note: Hardy - Far from the madding crowd - sorry just one of those misquotes that irritates the hell out of me - nothing personal

Well J, it would be a misquote if I was quoting from Hardy, but as I was not, then you cannot pull me up! My context is that the crowded City of London maddens me.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • bluehelmet
    bluehelmet Posts: 156
    Kingston Park to Newcastle city centre for me.

Quick way is 4.5 miles over the town moor (watch out for the cows!) or the more usual is 12 miles down to the tyne and follow that in along the Scotswood Road or the river cycle path. Depends what mood I'm in / how late I am...
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    I work mostly from home, so my "commute" is to the shops or the station, 2.5-3 miles from rural almost-Oxfordshire into Reading. 15 mins max by bicycle, anything up to an hour in a car with the current roadworks on Caversham bridge <shudder>.

I've cycled a bit around London and it's definitely preferable to the tube.
    Misguided Idealist
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    I suppose commuting in London these days must be akin to that in Mogadishu, Baghdad and Kabul.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I suppose commuting in London these days must be akin to that in Mogadishu, Baghdad and Kabul.

Or Leith.
  • Fireblade96

I predict massively increased sales of Marathon Plus and p*-repair kits.
    Time to buy shares in Schwalbe.
    Misguided Idealist
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    I work mostly from home, so my "commute" is to the shops or the station, 2.5-3 miles from rural almost-Oxfordshire into Reading. 15 mins max by bicycle, anything up to an hour in a car with the current roadworks on Caversham bridge <shudder>.

I've cycled a bit around London and it's definitely preferable to the tube.

Whereabouts in Caversham? I'm up the top near the wonderfully named Tokers Green.

Think there was unrest in Reading last night - mostly a result of those resurfacing works! Was blummin' chaos in town. Heard stories of people getting less than a mile in an hour. At least it didn't coincide with the festival....!
    FCN 3 / 4
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    perhaps I should change this to the 'I commute in a town where we don't have riots' thread :roll:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Fireblade96
    Whereabouts in Caversham? I'm up the top near the wonderfully named Tokers Green.

Think there was unrest in Reading last night - mostly a result of those resurfacing works! Was blummin' chaos in town. Heard stories of people getting less than a mile in an hour. At least it didn't coincide with the festival....!

I'm near Mapledurham playing fields, so not as far out as yourself. Commuting steed is a brown Pompino.

I had to drop the GF to the station yesterday in the car, took me ages. On the contrary, I've just cycled to the col d'Alpine Street in around 15 mins. No signs of anything other than normal shopping in town, didn't see any trouble last night either.
    Misguided Idealist
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    what are these towns andcities you speak of and riots ? us quiet country folk dont understand :wink:
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    what are these towns andcities you speak of and riots ? us quiet country folk dont understand :wink:
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    guess I'd better push off home in case the villagers of Dullingham are rioting..........
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    will3 wrote:
    guess I'd better push off home in case the villagers of Dullingham are rioting..........

If that's the Dullingham near Newmarket, I think you are safe....
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    NGale wrote:
    perhaps I should change this to the 'I commute in a town where we don't have riots' thread :roll:
    With all the police down that London I guess there will be opportunistic attacks across the rest of the country tonight.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    NGale wrote:
    With all the police down that London I guess there will be opportunistic attacks across the rest of the country tonight.

The only problems Exeter and Plymouth are likely to get tonight are from the football crowds

as for Dartmouth, well unless the 80 year old decide to loot the charity shops I don't think there will be too many problems :wink:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    No chances of looting here we only have one shop and i doubt anyones interested in a gross of carrots
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    itboffin wrote:
    No chances of looting here we only have one shop and i doubt anyones interested in a gross of carrots

Don't be silly, Boff. The carrots will help the looters see in the dark. Looting appears to be a night time activity.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    The rain will dampen everything down
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228

I'm near Mapledurham playing fields, so not as far out as yourself. Commuting steed is a brown Pompino.

I had to drop the GF to the station yesterday in the car, took me ages. On the contrary, I've just cycled to the col d'Alpine Street in around 15 mins. No signs of anything other than normal shopping in town, didn't see any trouble last night either.

Just been out in Reading. Very quiet. Did see the entire Caversham constabulary on their bikes earlier (all 4 of them), so they're obviously expecting trouble!

Will keep an eye out - I can be seen on an orange Roadrat, or black Synapse.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • will3
    will3 wrote:

#
    It is, Made it. Though a horse did look at me a bit funny.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Don't be silly, Boff. The carrots will help the looters see in the dark. Looting appears to be a night time activity.

Natch they wouldnt want to miss cbeebies
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Hebden Bridge to Bradford here - 15 miles each way. There's an easy but boring way, and a hard but pretty way. Guess which one I usually take.

Hebden Bridge, you aren't a Trades Club type are you ?

Er, I have been known to pop in there for a game of pool. Seen some great gigs there too. 5 mins walk from my house, innit.
  • will3
    will3 wrote:
    will3 wrote:

#
    It is, Made it. Though a horse did look at me a bit funny.

PS: Result! casual reference to a location without lundinium and someone knows where I mean.

FWIW I commute from The Village to The City. What, you don't know which village? Oh and the city isn't london (there are other cities, you know,..............)
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    will3 wrote:
    PS: Result! casual reference to a location without lundinium and someone knows where I mean.

FWIW I commute from The Village to The City. What, you don't know which village? Oh and the city isn't london (there are other cities, you know,..............)

LMAO - the fact that the reference was picked up by someone who lives 560 miles away (I think most of Belgium is closer) only adds to it.

That there's two people from the same 1-pub, 1-PO, Highland village on here always surprises me. I think if we both post at the same time, the internet connection falls over!
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    I do not commute in that London. Thank $DEITY: 6028820571_5f53a6bc40_z.jpghttp://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/DanielChallen/c3tkinodnn0omr1t
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Hi my name is Symo and I do not live in London Village. (used to though)

I have moved from Devon to Fleet and now my commute is to Frimley. Unfortunately I have to commute with people desperate to get into the M25 so I love cycling 1m from the curb at all times. :twisted:
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.