The 'I don't commute in London' thread

Comments

• @ Prawny : used to be a "suit" in the Post & Mail so sadly the bike was never an option.

I still have a deep resentment of the hours wasted sitting on the M5 going absolutely nowhere ....
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Half of my commute is not in London - its in Surrey.
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    notsoblue wrote:
    You do realise its tax revenue from the south east that pays for your blue sky and fancy imported song birds right?

Only because they choose to base stuff down there, there's no reason why (other than snobbery) they couldn't have businesses elsewhere. Every country has its capital city. It's just ours seems to dominate the news and media more than most.

The BBC are moving to Manchester, I hope a lot of others follow suit.

I remember relocating back to the Midlands from the South East and a recruitment agent saying it would "harm my career".
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I remember relocating back to the Midlands from the South East and a recruitment agent saying it would "harm my career".

Has it?
  • Yes, its good to be far from the maddening crowd.

Not if you're trying to commute in Edinburgh. The Festival going hoardes have descended, and when you stop at a red light you get handed 27 flyers, while someone tries to open a Fringe show in your panniers :o

Roll on September...

There's a future for you in the fire escape trade...
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    notsoblue wrote:
    Another beautiful day up here in sunny Glasgow, birds are singing, sky is blue.
    Meanwhile in the City of London, the market goes into meltdown, brining the country to it's knees (once again).

Yes, its good to be far from the maddening crowd.

You do realise its tax revenue from the south east that pays for your blue sky and fancy imported song birds right?

And here was me thinking it was all that lovely Scottish North Sea Oil..... Pity we seem to have squandered all the benefits it brought. However, it was 2 of the Scottish banks that have assisted in taking down the economy, both Edinburgh based.... Yes its good to be in Glasgow, and I do like my commute!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    er....2, RBS and ?
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Remember the world revolves around London.

+1

Couldn't agree more. A shame the rest of the country can't make a contribution really, but I suppose London shall have to carry the burden.
  • Yes, its good to be far from the maddening crowd.

Not if you're trying to commute in Edinburgh. The Festival going hoardes have descended, and when you stop at a red light you get handed 27 flyers, while someone tries to open a Fringe show in your panniers :o

Roll on September...

Brilliant :lol:
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I'm a rehabilitated London Rider (Bike was my main means of transport when I lived in London). Always been the best way around the capital, I guess even more so now that the Congestion Charge has cleared the roads an packed out the Tubes.

NE Way (see what I did there). My commute is now along the Rivers Tyne and Team.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    @ Prawny : used to be a "suit" in the Post & Mail so sadly the bike was never an option.

I still have a deep resentment of the hours wasted sitting on the M5 going absolutely nowhere ....

Ahh that's where you went wrong, the motorway is a mugs game, won't go near it during rush hour (other than over or under it obvs)

It's too far for me anyway, the train isn't *much* more expensive than riding taking all other costs into account and is a lot cheaper than driving.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • mickbrown
    mickbrown Posts: 100
    Northern monkey here. Altrincham to Manchester via t'canal, chased by t'whippets all the way. When I can be arsed, which admittedly, isn't very often.

Went to London once, full of southerners, didn't like it.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    May I present a selection of glorious Cotswold routes for you to peruse. I can ride along the river to Saul, for a fast, flat ride. Or if I fancy a couple of hills I can weave Frocester Hill into the return route (that's what we call a proper hill, for the Londoners, a 10 minute 1-in-10 climb - none of this col du Putney Bridge nonsense) or Redhouse Lane (shorter but steeper) up to Edge, from where I can make my 45mph descent into Brockworth. If I'm feeling really strong I can have a shot at Haresfield Beacon, a hill steep enough to require getting out of the saddle just to avoid popping wheelies.

That'll put hair on your chest, boy.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    West Leeds to Central Leeds via anything from Morley and Middleton (not so lovely!) to the Wharfe Valley - very lovely indeed!

And not a mocca chocca cloppa wokka floppa ploppa droppachino shop to be seen anywhere!

Well, not until you get to the city which is full of wierd people living in cramped over-priced apartments who dream of living in even more cramped and over-priced apartments in that London
    Faster than a tent.......
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    done my TOD in London, 6 years of Finchley to Oxford Circus and back. Gosh, I really miss it.

Rather have the considerably less stressful Whitley Bay to Newcastle ride thanks, taking in delights such as the waggonway where Stephenson tested his steam engines, a bit of Hadrians wall, and finishing with some iZombie or hungover stag/hen dodging along the re-invented quayside.
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    B'ham city center to East B'ham 13ish miles not another bike in sight, alot of traffic and houses.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Belper (World Heritage Site) just North of Derby to factory site just south of Derby. Route can be quite unremarkable (busy A roads), but usually involves slight detours to take in traffic-free route along the River Derwent, plus diversion up the sides of the Derwent Valley into picture-postcard country. Can even manage a mile or so of reasonably good rural single-track if I'm in a MTB mood.

They don't know what hills are in London!
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    From one side of the M6 to the other into Brum city centre.

It's grim.
  • Wallace1492
    suzyb wrote:
    er....2, RBS and ?
    HBOS, which went down so bad, they were forced into the arms of Lloyds, who then found so much losses on the HBOS side they are now 43% owned by UK and very nearly folded.

If I were a major Lloyds shareholder I would be incensed!
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    My name is Simon. I do not commute in London. Thank Feck.

Countryside to City for me in 15 excellent miles. The Bristol urban sprawl starts by the M4 M5 junction where my office is located. Rural roads all the way barre 2 miles on a reasonable A road. :P

No passport controls on the Wales England border at the moment either.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    suzyb wrote:
    er....2, RBS and ?
    HBOS, which went down so bad, they were forced into the arms of Lloyds, who then found so much losses on the HBOS side they are now 43% owned by UK and very nearly folded.

ah

I thought when it became HBOS it was more H than BOS so more English than Scottish (assuming Halifax was English in the first place :wink: )
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Working from home here, so my morning commute tends to be around whichever bit of South Oxfordshire I fancy.

Do enjoy the updates from London though...
    FCN 3 / 4
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Hadrian and Qin Shi Huang got it right. Our version is the M25 the constant roar of cars makes it too loud for the people with funny accents to invade.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Wallace1492
    suzyb wrote:
    suzyb wrote:
    er....2, RBS and ?

ah

I thought when it became HBOS it was more H than BOS so more English than Scottish (assuming Halifax was English in the first place :wink: )

Well, Halifax was/is Yorkshire, so partially English.... guess they put the "H" at the front as calling the new merged group BOSH probably sounded like some German power tool manufacturer. But after becoming HBOS was still headquartered in Edinburgh. All changed now..... It really is a disgrace what has happened to it, although brought about in part by the actions of itself.
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    I used to commute in Nottingham, but now work, live and commute in London. Much more fun :D

London just has a "buzz" and I suspect that many people who have a dislike to it have never lived/worked/commuted through it from a period of time.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Well, Halifax was/is Yorkshire, so partially English.... guess they put the "H" at the front as calling the new merged group BOSH probably sounded like some German power tool manufacturer. But after becoming HBOS was still headquartered in Edinburgh. All changed now..... It really is a disgrace what has happened to it, although brought about in part by the actions of itself.

As I remember it, neither Lloyds or HBoS wanted the deal to go through. It was forced upon them by Gordon Brown for political reasons. Although we don't know how it developed behind closed doors.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Wallace1492
    daviesee wrote:

As I remember it, neither Lloyds or HBoS wanted the deal to go through. It was forced upon them by Gordon Brown for political reasons. Although we don't know how it developed behind closed doors.

HBOS didn't want it, but Lloyds were offered it and could not turn down the huge mortgage book on offer (25% of all UK Mortgages were with HBOS) They saw a great opportunity and hurridly accepted the offer, well as it turns out a little too hurridly.....
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I'm a rehabilitated London Rider (Bike was my main means of transport when I lived in London). Always been the best way around the capital, I guess even more so now that the Congestion Charge has cleared the roads an packed out the Tubes.

NE Way (see what I did there). My commute is now along the Rivers Tyne and Team.

Are you one of the nutters caning it over the Tyne Bridge of a morning? (I was staying at the Hotel on one side and walking over to the NHS offices on t'other.)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    I've commuted in several cities & towns in this country, and I wish I were anywhere but London.
    Riding on 531
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    rhext wrote:
    Belper (World Heritage Site) just North of Derby to factory site just south of Derby. Route can be quite unremarkable (busy A roads), but usually involves slight detours to take in traffic-free route along the River Derwent, plus diversion up the sides of the Derwent Valley into picture-postcard country. Can even manage a mile or so of reasonably good rural single-track if I'm in a MTB mood.

They don't know what hills are in London!

One of my work mates lives in Belper and I kept trying to convince him to cycle in to work when we were based in Derby. He never did as he seemed to think only the A6 was available.

Mind you there was one guy who worked for the Council who cycled 19 miles down the A6 every day (from Matlock) 'cos he liked the view and excitement!

Personally given the choice of having my balls flayed by red hot razor wire or cycle down the A6 like that - it'd be "hello high-pitched voice" for me!
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter