The 'I don't commute in London' thread

NGale
NGale Posts: 1,866
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
It seems this place is currently over run by them there London villiage types with their skinny coffee-mocha-chinos, filofaxes and 'smartphones' but what about the rest of us who live in the real world outside of the M25!

Me, commute from Dartmouth to Exeter (part train part bike) with views of lovely rivers and rolling hills in the countryside and have a wonderful view of the sea on the cycle home on the way back into Dartmouth.

See you don't get THAT in London :wink::lol:
Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Thread check!

Nope does not compute ...
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • In an attempt to make it gritty and Northern, how about Southport to Warrington, via St.Helens.

seaside town, rural run, town centre, former mining area, cross a motorway and in to badly located urban centre.

not much in the way of views, but plenty of traffic and badly surfaced roads.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Novomix30 wrote:
    In an attempt to make it gritty and Northern, how about Southport to Warrington, via St.Helens.
    not much in the way of views, but plenty of traffic and badly surfaced roads.

thats a good ol commute, im currently doing Childwall to Aintree, great whilst them pesky kids are off
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • roddixon
    roddixon Posts: 100
    I'll put the first bid for the furthest from London prize:

Ahrensburg to central Hamburg; 576 miles from London town via Calais!

Still rubbish city commute though :cry:
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I'm currentl riding a 2 mile round trip from Pye green to Hednesford train station. It's epic.

I do get more chance to read and sleep than I did when I rode the whole way so that's a plus. Also my @rse doesn't hurt as much.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Ha! Pye Green! I used to live in Corsican Drive, Pye Green and commute into Brum every day (by car) : it was before I saw the light and was still languishing on the dark side ....

:wink::wink::wink:
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    15 miles of Warwickshire commute for me. Although my default setting has turned into 15 miles in, 20 miles home.

Like prawny, my arse hurts more than when I was doing 30 miles a week, rather than 100, or 150 like last week. :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    roddixon wrote:

Hmm - it's a VERY close call - Culbokie is 571 miles from London and no passport needed (at least for now). Probably find if we were talking the East End of London, I'd be further away!

I have a fab commute too despite actually working in a city (albeit probably the newest and smallest city in the UK - EDIT - to say I'm wrong on both counts :oops: :wink: )
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    NGale wrote:
    It seems this place is currently over run by them there London villiage types with their skinny coffee-mocha-chinos, filofaxes and 'smartphones' but what about the rest of us who live in the real world outside of the M25!

Filofaxes?! This is 2011 and not 1981, right?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I commute in london.... oh wrong thread.... :D
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    roddixon wrote:

Hmm - it's a VERY close call - Culbokie is 571 miles from London and no passport needed (at least for now). Probably find if we were talking the East End of London, I'd be further away!

I have a fab commute too despite actually working in a city (albeit probably the newest and smallest city in the UK - EDIT - to say I'm wrong on both counts :oops: :wink: )

I'm at the other end of Culbokie so can add about a mile on to the 571. Used to do Culbokie to Inverness too but now working (mostly) from Dingwall. Much shorter commute but equally pleasant (via Conon Bridge not the Cromarty Bridge) there is also, sadly, less hills.

-Spider-
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    My name is Simon, and I do not commute in London.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I'm hopping over the Derbyshire / Leicestershire / Nottinghamshire borders depending on which route I choose to take - reminds me of a pub called the 4 Counties, which back in the old days (sigh) before the boundary changes you could walk through Staffordshire, Derbyshire, Leicestershire and Warwickshire to get from the door to the bar.

Good beer as well - travelled well :lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Ha! Pye Green! I used to live in Corsican Drive, Pye Green and commute into Brum every day (by car) : it was before I saw the light and was still languishing on the dark side ....

:wink::wink::wink:

Literally round the corner. I live at the top of the hill.

Have done a few weeks to Brum in the car but it's far too much hassle, either bike or train for me. Or both as we are at the moment.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    NGale wrote:

Filofaxes?! This is 2011 and not 1981, right?

actually the filofax is making a comeback, more reliable than those new fangled smartphone things :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Hipsters had filofaxes before they were cool.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Surely the idiotic foppish crap of Londoners is what makes "Commuting Chat" the amusing irrelevance it is?

The discussion on the "great climbs" of London being a recent example
  • I live inside the M25 but commute to the outside, I don't know if I'm wanted here or not :?
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Erm...
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    edited August 2011
    NGale wrote:
    It seems this place is currently over run by them there London villiage types with their skinny Orange-Mocha-Frappucinos, filofaxes and 'smartphones' but what about the rest of us who live in the real world outside of the M25!

FTFY
  • My name is Simon, and I also do not commute in London.

Not very far though - 9.5 miles from Maidstone to Rochester up Bluebell Hill, still surprisingly lonely between two towns with only the occasional hybrid or MTB going in the other direction. It's all about PBs rather than scalps here so could do with some competition. :twisted:
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Remember the world revolves around London...... :wink:
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • bobbygloss
    bobbygloss Posts: 317
    -spider- wrote:
    roddixon wrote:

I'm at the other end of Culbokie so can add about a mile on to the 571. Used to do Culbokie to Inverness too but now working (mostly) from Dingwall. Much shorter commute but equally pleasant (via Conon Bridge not the Cromarty Bridge) there is also, sadly, less hills.

I must be in the lead on this one (at least until NickLouse posts).
    Not sure of the direct distance, but Google maps suggests 1800km to drive here.
    I start on an island north of Stavanger, bridge to another island, bridge to another island, bridge to the mainland, then through the town and either MTB through a wood or road bike over Ullandhaug hill to reach work.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998

The same way water revolves around a toilet bowl?

*throws pin, runs, comes back, throws grenade, runs quicker*
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • notsoblue

Yep
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683

In the same way that flies circle over a turd ...
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    notsoblue wrote:

Yep

Nice try but you will find that the world revolves round it's axis, not GMT.

How it is perceived within Londonium is another matter :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • notsoblue
    daviesee wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

Yep

Nice try but you will find that the world revolves round it's axis, not GMT.

How it is perceived within Londonium is another matter :wink:

Ah, I assumed you meant figuratively. I guess I should have known better given where you're from. ;)
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Another beautiful day up here in sunny Glasgow, birds are singing, sky is blue.
    Meanwhile in the City of London, the market goes into meltdown, brining the country to it's knees (once again).

Yes, its good to be far from the maddening crowd.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • notsoblue
    Another beautiful day up here in sunny Glasgow, birds are singing, sky is blue.
    Meanwhile in the City of London, the market goes into meltdown, brining the country to it's knees (once again).

Yes, its good to be far from the maddening crowd.

You do realise its tax revenue from the south east that pays for your blue sky and fancy imported song birds right?