Another cyclist nearly assaulted on Video - YouTube...

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    bails87 wrote:
    Nothing that the cyclist could have done would stop it being assault. There's no self defence angle to it, just keep driving away, the assailant obviously wasn't after insurance details, so I doubt the cyclist had damaged the car in some previous, unseen incident.

This is absolutely true, of course. There is no excuse for what he did. However, a bit of careful editing of the helmet-cam footage and "I behaved like a complete tosser, and somebody called me out on it" swiftly becomes, "I was attacked for no reason at all!"

But there is no excuse for what he did, so it doens't matter what the cyclist did (at least 2 minutes before the assault, so no immediate danger/heat of the moment stuff).
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    The smart car driver sounds genuinely concerned for the cyclist's mental wellbeing - cyclist is a nutjob.
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    However, a bit of careful editing of the helmet-cam footage and "I behaved like a complete tosser, and somebody called me out on it" swiftly becomes, "I was attacked for no reason at all!".
    I and i'm sure several other video camera cyclists are more than happy to provide full footage so people can see if something did happen before.
    I have been accused of editing out things or provoking the driver into a reaction. Which is something I have never done.

Any footage that i supply to the police that might go to court, i make sure that i start it just before i first meet the driver and end it after i last see the driver. That way you have your self covered for such acqussations, they would have to say where you did this that or the other and you can confirm your route with the full footage if required.
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    There is a report on BBC London News at 6.30 tonight...
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Ben6899 wrote:
    I don't condone the passenger's actions, but it looks like we have another antagonistic helmet-cam wearing cyclist. Look at this video from the same fella:

http://www.youtube.com/user/kmcyc#p/u/20/G3qed3nvS3w
    http://www.youtube.com/user/kmcyc#p/u/21/PqUi8SQmGMw

The guy in the Smart car shouldn't have done what he did. We all agree on that. But no-one was hurt thankfully... the cyclist then totally aggravated the situation and created opportunity for other cyclists to be hurt in the process.

You only have to listen to his little comments and read the titles of his videos to see he's the local pub bore and part time limp-wristed vigilante. And all the while, cyclists like him are making us all look like pricks because idiot drivers only see the bike and lycra and are reminded of the last condescending encounter.
    I have to apologise for my post earlier.

OK I ride this road to and from work. I can 100% say that the first incident, at 0:09secs, the Smart car did cut the guy up. It's the crossing before hitting Stratford proper. Two lanes fold into one and safe (defensive) riding is to take the middle of the lane as the cyclist did to avoid getting cut up. Again I ride this road and from intimate experience I can 100% say that the Smart car did cut him up.

HOWEVER! At 1:29 I have no clue why the cyclist would attempt to go around the Smart car.

1). Not only is there a cycle lane,

2). Not only could he have sat behind the Smart car

3). He could, arguably see the obstruction (white van) that the Smart car would need to go around.

Further more that's a 3 - 4 lane road that leads to the North Circular and a flyover linking Bow to Stratford. It's a fast road and cars will speed up to and above 40mph. The only reason I can see (and again I'm speaking intimate experience) why would choose that lane was to antagonise the guy in the Smart car.

Seriously, even on my best day I stick to the left. There is no need to take the middle lane.

He is a prick, suddenly feel like the toothy-barrow-boy should have lamped him proper.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Ben6899 wrote:
    I don't condone the passenger's actions, but it looks like we have another antagonistic helmet-cam wearing cyclist. Look at this video from the same fella:

The guy in the Smart car shouldn't have done what he did. We all agree on that. But no-one was hurt thankfully... the cyclist then totally aggravated the situation and created opportunity for other cyclists to be hurt in the process.

You only have to listen to his little comments and read the titles of his videos to see he's the local pub bore and part time limp-wristed vigilante. And all the while, cyclists like him are making us all look like pricks because idiot drivers only see the bike and lycra and are reminded of the last condescending encounter.

+1 What a cringeworthy set of videos.

Typical hybrid rider though ;)
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    garryc wrote:
    Totaly agree that the cyclist is an idiot.

If you cycle (or drive) in a busy area like that you have to be aware that others are going to do stupid things, either by accident or design, and be prepared to take evasive action.

Looking at the incident with the Samrt car, I'd rather just dab on the brakes a bit and then continue on my way without getting into a fight. Sure he might be technicaly in the right but you have to give and take a bit.

Same in the car, and the same on foot. This cyclist looks like he holds his line at his speed and anyone who get's in his way ends up with a load of abuse and put on YouTube. You can't cycle/drive/walk like that - Tw*t

Have to disagree on the smart car. Absolutely appalling driving. I /think/ he has to brake fairly hard to let the car pull in & by my reckoning (made by comparing to my videos) despite this the car is only a few tens of centimetres from taking his front wheel out. I would definitely give the driver a piece of my mind (haven't watched the video past this but I guess not to the same extent that this guy did)
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • stuj15
    stuj15 Posts: 167
    I probably had the best view of the Smart Car incident here. I was following kmcyc at the time and the Smart car actually speed up passed me to cut in in front of us. As everyone here pretty much agrees it was a shocking piece of driving. I was going to join in telling him what I thought of him at the lights but heard kmcyc say he had it on camera and thought better of getting involved as it didn't really warrant me piping in as well. As for the part at 1:29 when kmcyc goes to pass the car on the riight, my first impression at the time was that the car was squeezing across to the left to keep kmcyc on the left and didn't expect him to try to overtake. However, looking back over the video it's clear that kmcyc was either just trying to overtake because of the parked van in the bus lane or to intentionally antagonise (quite possibly just because of the red mist).
    This is where my 1st person view goes because I carried on up the bus lane (that's me at 1:52 in the red top) but I was surprised to see it went on for as long as it did. But, despite all that went on it doesn't excuse the fact that the Smart car guy was using his phone to video kmcyc while driving on the flyover approch, nearly hitting another cyclist.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,683
    DUDE YOU RE ON THE BBC NEWS!!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

I have to apologise for my post earlier.

Cheers. I had no doubt you would. :)

And I agree with the rest of your post.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    stuj15 wrote:
    I probably had the best view of the Smart Car incident here. I was following kmcyc at the time and the Smart car actually speed up passed me to cut in in front of us. As everyone here pretty much agrees it was a shocking piece of driving. I was going to join in telling him what I thought of him at the lights but heard kmcyc say he had it on camera and thought better of getting involved as it didn't really warrant me piping in as well. As for the part at 1:29 when kmcyc goes to pass the car on the riight, my first impression at the time was that the car was squeezing across to the left to keep kmcyc on the left and didn't expect him to try to overtake. However, looking back over the video it's clear that kmcyc was either just trying to overtake because of the parked van in the bus lane or to intentionally antagonise (quite possibly just because of the red mist).
    This is where my 1st person view goes because I carried on up the bus lane (that's me at 1:52 in the red top) but I was surprised to see it went on for as long as it did. But, despite all that went on it doesn't excuse the fact that the Smart car guy was using his phone to video kmcyc while driving on the flyover approch, nearly hitting another cyclist.

Stu.

None of us can debunk your first person view of the initial bad driving and we all agree with you, I am sure.

And we all agree the Smart Car driver shouldn't have been using his iphone or whatever to film while driving.

BUT... he did that [with the phone] after been almost 'goaded' into it by the cyclist. The roads are dangerous enough and that particular one is one of the worst I know (as DDD testified and I am sure you agree). Just take the reg. plate and video and report it. Don't antagonise!

I'm glad the Romford lad didn't hit the cyclist, but I'm also not surprised something like this eventually happened.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • stuj15 wrote:

Thanks stu, that was my view, the cyclist did nothing wrong and the driver put other road users at risk over a broken wing mirror, that wasn't actually broken at all.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    this has just been BBC 1 London news.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    thats just been on the BBC 10pm news ! lets hope they catch him !
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,683
    Ah he did nt want to be named though.......
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Fourth most watched on the BBC at the moment:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14407114

This is tremendously positive, the more attention the better.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Fourth most watched on the BBC at the moment:

Really? My mate told me I need to get one of those cameras and says she worries about me! Grr. (yes it's good if they catch him)
  • notsoblue

Yeah this is a brilliant way to promote cycling as a safe and enjoyable activity.
  • notsoblue wrote:

Yeah this is a brilliant way to promote cycling as a safe and enjoyable activity.

Exactly, matey boy is nervously awaiting a knock on his door anytime! And other numpties realise they won't get away with it. Result!
  • d87heaven
    d87heaven Posts: 348
    notsoblue wrote:

Exactly, matey boy is nervously awaiting a knock on his door anytime! And other numpties realise they won't get away with it. Result!

If he spots himself on the news I can just imagine the knuckle dragging oaf going up to the tv and touching it like a confused ape. Although I doubt his intellect stretches to watching the news.
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Videos like that don't surprise me when I see how drivers react to other drivers.

After an event, I was driving a few of my cadets back to the unit, I had an eejit driver tailgating me, gesturing the full works (still to this day don't know why). I pulled over and so did he. He got out of the car, swearing and cursing at me spoiling for a fight, I got out to find out what I had done wrong, he was still intent on having a go. He backed off a little when he saw I was in uniform, but backed off even more and looked like a startled rabbit when a 6 foot 7 17 year old cadet got out of the passenger side of my car.

Que howls of laughter from the other cadets and member of staff in my car. Said giant cadet, is as soft as they come and fights like a girl if he is ever pushed to it, but just his height is enough to ward some people off.

If drivers can behave like arseholes to other drivers, then it's no wonder what they will do to cyclists :shock:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    notsoblue wrote:

Something tells me that you've not quite grasped NSB's point.
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683

Bit late to the thread I know, and only just seen the video.

What I want to know is how the cyclist didn't collapse on the floor in fits of giggles when he saw the stupid little cap the guy was wearing ...
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Look at the other videos. There's a common denominator here.

What we have is a self righteous pr*ck, who has an attitude of "I can do this so I will". He's one of those cyclists who rides in a manner which is technically correct, but isn't necessary, purely to provoke people.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • MattC59 wrote:

What we have is a self righteous pr*ck, who has an attitude of "I can do this so I will". He's one of those cyclists who rides in a manner which is technically correct, but isn't necessary, purely to provoke people.

What was provocative about his cycling in that clip, do you think?
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    MattC59 wrote:

Ah, a complete idiot from the "I'd rather be right than alive" brigade.

Possibly deserves all he gets then. Just hope he calms down before getting seriously injured or killed.

I do wonder why people with headcams always seem to be involved in so many incidents. It's almost as if they're doing it on purpose.
  • notsoblue
    MattC59 wrote:

I've only seen three of his videos, but the ease with which he gets offended by minor infractions and starts going on about how he's got the perp on camera leads me to believe that he's just generally a self righteous annoying guy who will eventually run up against thugs like this. I'm not an apologist for violent posturing motorists in the slightest, but he seems to be going out of his way to try and justify his investment in a helmet camera.

His cycling isn't provocative (nor particularly road aware as far as I've seen) but his reaction to motorists is. I'd guess that this combined with his stature/build probably makes him fairly susceptible to the type of altercations he's filmed.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    MattC59 wrote:

As you'll notice, I said look at the other videos.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • The other videos could show him punching kittens and raping colour blind nuns, doesn't have diddly squat to do with the clip in question.