Another cyclist nearly assaulted on Video - YouTube...

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Tell me the cyclist didn't totally antagonise the situation. He should have clocked his reg. plate and reported him... leave it at that. If he had done that, then the Smart Car driver would have just carried on his way. I cannot believe you fail to see that.

I never blamed the cyclist for the driver's behaviour. See above. By limp-wristed, I mean "soft as pudding"... if that's implied homophobia, then I missed that one and it certainly wasn't my intention. Why on earth would I want to be homophobic!?

You are consistently one-sided in your posts. I am a cyclist and driver and I am willing to see both sides of the story and analyse instances like this without being blinded by any allegiances.

It's clear this cyclist - and others - go around looking for events to be enraged by.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Tell me the cyclist didn't totally antagonise the situation. He should have clocked his reg. plate and reported him... leave it at that. If he had done that, then the Smart Car driver would have just carried on his way. I cannot believe you fail to see that.

You sound like my bird does when I'm driving someone beeps me and I answer back... "I'm allowed a reply".

People argue all the time, the cyclist is allowed to have an opinion, converse, argue and/or disagree with people in the outside world. To get out of the passengers seat, run down the road and assualt the guy is a step too far and not in proportion with the actions prior. The cyclist did nothing wrong.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    Ben6899 wrote:
    I don't condone the passenger's actions, but it looks like we have another antagonistic helmet-cam wearing cyclist. Look at this video from the same fella:

http://www.youtube.com/user/kmcyc#p/u/20/G3qed3nvS3w
    http://www.youtube.com/user/kmcyc#p/u/21/PqUi8SQmGMw

The guy in the Smart car shouldn't have done what he did. We all agree on that. But no-one was hurt thankfully... the cyclist then totally aggravated the situation and created opportunity for other cyclists to be hurt in the process.

You only have to listen to his little comments and read the titles of his videos to see he's the local pub bore and part time limp-wristed vigilante. And all the while, cyclists like him are making us all look like pricks because idiot drivers only see the bike and lycra and are reminded of the last condescending encounter.

The cyclist in the video is a prick of the highest order. The Smart Car driver was a typical, inattentive driver and shouldn't have pulled in like he did, but the cyclist was such a pontificating c*nt and so determined to prove his point that he nearly caused a traffic accidet and nearly smashed into an innocent cyclist in front whilst arguing with the Smart Car driver.

He didn't even have the guts to pull over and continue his argument with the smart car driver (a fifty something asian gentleman with a beard)

I'm glad the incident with the toothless chav showed him up for the spineless little shit he is.
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    "Created opportunities for other cyclists to be hurt"

Good grief.

The driver's in charge of the car. Blaming the cyclist for that idiot driver's actions is plain daft. There was a bit of to and fro, the driver used his car as a weapon, and you blame the cyclist, sheesh. Nice implied homophobic insult as well, well done. And "vigilante" doesn't mean what you appear to think it means.

The fact he nearly smashed into the cyclist in front on the approach to the flyover whilst he was busy having his playground spat with the Smart car driver means he indeed "created opportunities for other cyclists to be hurt".
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Sorry, but that cyclist is just a bit of a douche.

As Ben says, he seems like the sort that activley goes around looking for trouble.

(I note that he makes no attempt to ride in the allocated green cycle lanes where available, instead chooing to ride in the middle of the lanes which is a sure-fire way to antagonise a driver)
  • garryc
    garryc Posts: 203
    Totaly agree that the cyclist is an idiot.

If you cycle (or drive) in a busy area like that you have to be aware that others are going to do stupid things, either by accident or design, and be prepared to take evasive action.

Looking at the incident with the Samrt car, I'd rather just dab on the brakes a bit and then continue on my way without getting into a fight. Sure he might be technicaly in the right but you have to give and take a bit.

Same in the car, and the same on foot. This cyclist looks like he holds his line at his speed and anyone who get's in his way ends up with a load of abuse and put on YouTube. You can't cycle/drive/walk like that - Tw*t
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

You sound like my bird does when I'm driving someone beeps me and I answer back... "I'm allowed a reply".

People argue all the time, the cyclist is allowed to have an opinion, converse, argue and/or disagree with people in the outside world. To get out of the passengers seat, run down the road and assualt the guy is a step too far and not in proportion with the actions prior. The cyclist did nothing wrong.
    Have you watched the video Ben is referring to? Bottom of the previous page. It's embarrassing, the bloke's an absolute bell-end.
  • hmbadger
    hmbadger Posts: 181
    _Brun_ wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

Have you watched the video Ben is referring to? Bottom of the previous page. It's embarrassing, the bloke's an absolute bell-end.

+1

It's all the "Smile for the camera" stuff that is cringeworthy. You just get the felling that they love the whole thing.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    edited August 2011
    Head cam wearing cyclist found to be a pontificating holier-than-thou bell-piece

....hardly earth shattering news is it.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Isn't the world a complex place? Turns out the cyclist is an utter pr1ck and yet in the becapped neanderthal video I don't think he behaved badly. His cyclecraft was text book and his verbal response was pretty mild.

I can't believe he posted those smart car videos. The lack of awareness of what a complete knob he was being is unbelieveable.

WHole thing reminds me of that quote from someoe about the Iran/Iraq war - shame they cant both lose.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    _Brun_ wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

No, perhaps I should. I take back what I said until I've seen it.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Just because you're a t!t doesn't mean it's OK to have that happen to you.

I come across many w*nkers every day and I don't assault them.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    The whole "He's got a headcam so he must be a windup merchant" thing.....
    Has anyone thought that it's because it's much easier to see a video of a cyclist being a pleb if they've got a camera, than if they haven't got a camera. So if it was the case that 90% of cyclists were calm, sensible, patient human beings, the 10% left would be plebs. If 10% of those plebs have cameras, then that 1% of the total cyclist population will get a lot more airtime than the 9% of cyclists who are plebs but don't have cameras, so are virtually never recorded (other than Gaz's 'silly cyclists' for example).
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Ben6899
    Just because you're a t!t doesn't mean it's OK to have that happen to you.

I come across many w*nkers every day and I don't assault them.

Rick, I agree wholeheartedly. However, that does not hide the fact that this particular head-cam wielding cyclist has perhaps been pushing his luck for a good few months.

He made his bed and - in Romford of all places - he was almost invited to lie in it by one of Del Boy's suppliers.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • Made the Standard:

A man threatened to punch a cyclist in the face while being recorded by a camera on his helmet.

The cyclist put the video on YouTube and it has been viewed by almost 23,000 people. It is the latest evidence posted online of road rage committed against cyclists.

Footage shows the cyclist negotiate a roundabout leading onto Waterloo Road in Romford. A passenger in a silver Ford Fiesta is seen shouting abuse at him before driving off.

The car then stops and a man gets out of the car. He raises his fist to the face of the cyclist and threatens to punch him, causing him to fall off his bike.

The cyclist, who does not wish to be named, can be heard saying: "What did I do?" The outburst took place shortly before 7pm on July 27.

His video prompted more than 500 comments on YouTube. The cyclist, whose YouTube tag is kmcyc, said: "I have reported this to the police and provided a copy of the video. It is a shame that a few other road users think it's okay to have a pop at cyclists. I hope this man is found soon."

When praised for refusing to retaliate he said: "Violence being the last resort, that thought was furthest from my mind. I was concerned with what this man (the passenger) might do next and equally concerned as to what the driver might do.

"Had they joined in, the odds would have shifted against me significantly."

Kmcyc, who has been cycling for more than 12 years, installed a camera on his helmet about two years ago after a series of near misses with drivers.

A Met spokesman said: "An allegation has been made. No actual assault took place but it is being looked at in terms of a public order offence."

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/ ... cyclist.do
  • bails87

A Met spokesman said: "An allegation has been made. No actual assault took place but it is being looked at in terms of a public order offence."
    Do the police not know the law then?
    MTB/CX

• The cops, like the mouth-breathing sofa crevice fondlers commenting beneath the story, probably feel it was the cyclist's fault for being there.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Is this the same person? Didn't think he did much wrong against the cap wearing monkey, but the smartcar video is embarrassing!!!!

I think the cyclist may have some issues.
    exercise.png
  • Ben6899
    Same person.
    Ben

• Ben6899 wrote:
    I don't condone the passenger's actions, but it looks like we have another antagonistic helmet-cam wearing cyclist. Look at this video from the same fella:

http://www.youtube.com/user/kmcyc#p/u/20/G3qed3nvS3w
    http://www.youtube.com/user/kmcyc#p/u/21/PqUi8SQmGMw

The guy in the Smart car shouldn't have done what he did. We all agree on that. But no-one was hurt thankfully... the cyclist then totally aggravated the situation and created opportunity for other cyclists to be hurt in the process.

You only have to listen to his little comments and read the titles of his videos to see he's the local pub bore and part time limp-wristed vigilante. And all the while, cyclists like him are making us all look like pricks because idiot drivers only see the bike and lycra and are reminded of the last condescending encounter.
    +1

In no way can I condone what the twunk in the flat cap did, but this chap seems like he's setting himself up for that sort of thing by taking what he thinks is the moral high-ground. Yes, we all get hacked off by inattentive/incompetent/aggressive drivers, and yes, we'd like to see them get their comeuppance - but to stalk the streets with a helmet cam looking for miscreants then posting their numberplates on YouTube is not helping the overall cause of cycling.

I guess it's like any herd - there's always the nutters that give everyone else a bad name...

(Sits back, waits for flood of abuse...... :wink: )
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • The more aggressive twunts think twice about threatening cyclists because they may be filmed the better.
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    Sewinman wrote:
    Member of cycling forum found to be a pontificating holier-than-thou bell-piece

....hardly earth shattering news is it.

FTFY :wink:
  • Let's face it, the original video had nothing in it that the driver or passenger could have been angered by. From the other videos though, it would appear that they could easily have been angered by something that happened before that clip commenced.

I feel bad, but the more helmet-cam footage I see, the more I realise why people complain about cyclists.
  • Let's face it, the original video had nothing in it that the driver or passenger could have been angered by. From the other videos though, it would appear that they could easily have been angered by something that happened before that clip commenced.

I feel bad, but the more helmet-cam footage I see, the more I realise why people complain about cyclists.

The cyclist's version:

Approaching the roundabout, preparing to turn right I make a shoulder check and a clear right turn hand signal before moving into the RH lane. There's traffic on the RAB, so I stop and give way to it. When it's clear, I move onto the RAB, keeping to the RH lane until the exit prior to the one I want. There I make another shoulder check and a clear left turn hand signal and then move across to the LH lane ready to exit the RAB.

It's at that point I get the first shout of abuse. Not sure if it was the driver or the passenger of the Ford Fiesta, whose registration I could only get part of.

I make a comment about there being enough room on the road for both of us and this appears to enrage the passenger, who climbs half out of the car to hurl more abuse at me.

The second set of lights are red and so the car stops. The passenger jumps out and still hurling abuse, approaches me with what seemed a clear intention to punch me in the face. Still unsure of what I could have done to upset him, I apologise to my assailant, who backs down and walks off to find where his lift has gone off to, still hurling abusive comments as I ride away.

End quote.

Nothing happened before. Even if the driver had been impeded for a few seconds it wouldn't justify that kind of low-grade thuggery, especially since the knuckle-dragger delayed himself far more by acting like an impotent gorilla. I think the passenger probably felt he was delayed on the roundabout by the cyclist behaving exactly as he should have done.

The cyclist's version:

Approaching the roundabout, preparing to turn right I make a shoulder check and a clear right turn hand signal before moving into the RH lane. There's traffic on the RAB, so I stop and give way to it. When it's clear, I move onto the RAB, keeping to the RH lane until the exit prior to the one I want. There I make another shoulder check and a clear left turn hand signal and then move across to the LH lane ready to exit the RAB.

It's at that point I get the first shout of abuse. Not sure if it was the driver or the passenger of the Ford Fiesta, whose registration I could only get part of.

I make a comment about there being enough room on the road for both of us and this appears to enrage the passenger, who climbs half out of the car to hurl more abuse at me.

The second set of lights are red and so the car stops. The passenger jumps out and still hurling abuse, approaches me with what seemed a clear intention to punch me in the face. Still unsure of what I could have done to upset him, I apologise to my assailant, who backs down and walks off to find where his lift has gone off to, still hurling abusive comments as I ride away.

End quote.

Nothing happened before. Even if the driver had been impeded for a few seconds it wouldn't justify that kind of low-grade thuggery, especially since the knuckle-dragger delayed himself far more by acting like an impotent gorilla. I think the passenger probably felt he was delayed on the roundabout by the cyclist behaving exactly as he should have done.

You're right. That was evidently a perfectly two-sided, impartial account of the run-up to the incident. :lol:

You do realise that all of that account was on the video, it's what went on before the video I'd be interested (though only mildly) in seeing.
  • bails87
    Nothing that the cyclist could have done would stop it being assault. There's no self defence angle to it, just keep driving away, the assailant obviously wasn't after insurance details, so I doubt the cyclist had damaged the car in some previous, unseen incident.
    MTB/CX

• Well, it seems likely the bad-teeth man will be nicked pretty soon, we'll see if you're right. I'd be (mildly) interested to hear his version too.
  • bails87
    The cyclist would have the video, you'd think. If he has I'm sure the police have asked to see it.
    MTB/CX

• bails87 wrote:
    Nothing that the cyclist could have done would stop it being assault. There's no self defence angle to it, just keep driving away, the assailant obviously wasn't after insurance details, so I doubt the cyclist had damaged the car in some previous, unseen incident.

This is absolutely true, of course. There is no excuse for what he did. However, a bit of careful editing of the helmet-cam footage and "I behaved like a complete tosser, and somebody called me out on it" swiftly becomes, "I was attacked for no reason at all!".
  • On balance I think it unlikely anyone would contact the police and hand over incriminating film. I'm happy to take the cyclist's word for what happened, if he had provoked the chavscum he'd hardly advertise the fact.