Another cyclist nearly assaulted on Video - YouTube...

cloggsy
cloggsy Posts: 243
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
Look here :shock:

Comments

• hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    dude needs to see a dentist...

Not fun, reasonably common, but not fun.
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Can't be real.

No-one actually walks and talks like that????
    exercise.png
  • altitude10
    altitude10 Posts: 22
    TheStone wrote:
    Can't be real.

Its Romford, rarely do they walk/talk differently to that or indeed act un twatish in most aspects. :lol:
  • bdave262000
    bdave262000 Posts: 270
    altitude10 wrote:
    TheStone wrote:
    Can't be real.

Its Romford, rarely do they walk/talk differently to that or indeed act un twatish in most aspects. :lol:

Normally they walk on all fours.
    Fat lads take longer to stop.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Knuckle dragger.

Guy was a prick, it's hard not to react in those situations. The reaction could be fight or flight, I'm glad you chose flight.

I hope the police actually do something about this, this time.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 290
    thats not nearly assault, that is assault.
    B'Twin Sport 1
    FCN 7 =4, +2(non cycling clothes) +1(beard)
  • DonDaddyD
    Also:

1. What did you do wrong, you indicated left and took the exit the driver at most would have had to slow down and go round you and what looks like a clear road.

2. I always find that South West London leading up to the City is mor aware and accomodating to cyclist that North/East London and Essex.

3. What is the correct position to take a bike around a Roundabout? Is it the primary position of the outside (left) lane. Or do you approach and use it as you normally would a car?

I don't have many roundabouts on my commute.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    What a scum bag! probably showing off in front of his mates?

Deffo report the interbred toe-rag to the rozzers!

on a lighter note - is he a cockney wide boy?

a. someone needs to have a word to him about modern dentistry, you would be surprised what they can fix these days even wonky tombstone teeth like his

b. someone needs to tell him to buy larger tshirts unless the "so tight it looks sprayed on look" is in fashion these days

c. where can i get me a walk like that? is special training required to walk like that?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Mr Sharky
    Mr Sharky Posts: 172
    mudcow007 wrote:
    c. where can i get me a walk like that? is special training required to walk like that?
    If a lobotomy is a form of training... then yes, you too can get a walk like that! :wink:
    Hairy-legged roadie ( FCN 4 )
    Occasional fixed ( FCN 6 )
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Not excusing the clownshoes twat in the cap for one second

I was amused by the cyclist's cocky "you're on camera you tube will protect me stance" and then the realisation that this moron doesn't give a flying fu<k and I'm so sorry please don't kill me
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    The reaction could be fight or flight, I'm glad you chose flight.

I'm not a violent person, but would have found it very hard not bury a Sidi in his head.
    No-one that walks like that is hard. Fact.
    exercise.png
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    DonDaddyD wrote:

3. What is the correct position to take a bike around a Roundabout? Is it the primary position of the outside (left) lane. Or do you approach and use it as you normally would a car?

I don't have many roundabouts on my commute.

As if you're in a car, normally. Have you got/read cyclecraft?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • stuj15
    stuj15 Posts: 167
    I regularly see this guy (cyclist - not dickface) on my commute and always have a chat at some point. Next time I see him I'll make sure to ask what he has done about it as he hasn't replied to any comments on the youtube link.

Disgusting behavior.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Wow - hope the cyclist is okay.

This kind of lout needs to be prosecuted.

I am afraid that I would not have had the cyclists calmness - I would have punched the guy and carried on punching him. It makes me no better than the aggressor, but, being absolutely honest with myself - I would have lost the plot.
  • bails87
    gtvlusso
    Depends if you're build for fighting I suppose. :wink:

I've had a proper lunatic screaming in my face (he'd clipped my arm as he overtook), veins on his forehead bulging saying "I know some people who would rip your f*cking head off for that". 'That' would be being hit by a car, how dare I do that?!

If he'd gone to hit me I may well have tried to leave a cleat shaped imprint on his testicles, but I'm not going to make something physical when it doesn't have to be, even if the twit deserves a hiding, simply because I reckon I'd be on the losing side!
    MTB/CX

• DonDaddyD
    edited July 2011
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Not excusing the clownshoes twat in the cap for one second

I was amused by the cyclist's cocky "you're on camera you tube will protect me stance" and then the realisation that this moron doesn't give a flying fu<k and I'm so sorry please don't kill me

[whisper]I didn't want to bring that up... but yeah[/whisper]

There was also a moment when the cyclist said out loud "oh shit" as the guy grabbed it. At that exact moment I can be heard saying (albeit many miles away) "Oh, sh*ts about to get real yo!"

Joking aside

Glad the cyclist is OK

It's hard to say how you would react in those situations. You're scared for your safety while fighting the frustration, anger, excitement and adrenaline of possibly losing your life (i.e. car nearly hitting you).

On a few occasions I've gone OJ when everything is red and I can hear myself swearing and when I've come back I've got saliva dribbling down the mouth. - Usually when the person has endangered not only me but the ones I love or they've become physical.

Other times it's all about flight and I've walked away.

However I have also been there where I'm all clarity and can think about losing it, stay clam, walk away or argue your point through to exhaustion with the person.
    dcurzon wrote:

Guy was a prick, a complete kunt follicle who should be reported or better do that to the wrong person and get beaten like they used to in the 1980s but I'm not sure it was an actual assault.
    Food Chain number = 4

• bails87
    edited July 2011
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    dcurzon wrote:

Guy was a prick, a complete kunt follicle who should be reported or better do that to the wrong person and get beaten like they used to in the 1980s but I'm not sure it was an actual assault.
    The House of Lords set the definition of assault as:

"an assault is committed where the defendant intentionally or recklessly causes the victim to apprehend immediate unlawful personal violence."

Apprehend = "The victim need not be put in fear but must be aware that they are about to be subjected to violence. If the victim does not anticipate unlawful personal violence there is no assault"

Immediate="Threats of future violence will not amount to an assault. Smith and Hogan's Criminal Law (4th ed.), p.351 states, "There can be no assault if it is obvious the complainant the defendant is unable to carry out his threat, as where D shakes his fist at P who is safely locked inside his car." "

Unlawful="If the defendant has a lawful excuse to use force, the actions will not amount to an assault. This includes:

Reasonable punishment of a child S.58 Children Act 2004
    Where the victim consents
    Where the defendant acts in self- defence or prevention of a crime"

Personal Violence="The term personal violence can be misleading in that the victim need only apprehend the level of force that amounts to a technical battery. Ie any touching will suffice."

http://www.e-lawresources.co.uk/Assault.php
    MTB/CX

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Don - look up the definition of assault. You'll find that clearly was.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • DonDaddyD
    Oh OK, I thought squaring up to a person was just that and his verbal triad was just verbal abuse/threat.

This sentence makes no literary sense... not to us lay people.
    "an assault is committed where the defendant intentionally or recklessly causes the victim to apprehend immediate unlawful personal violence."
    Food Chain number = 4

• bails87
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Oh OK, I thought squaring up to a person was just that and his verbal triad was just verbal abuse/threat.

This sentence makes no literary sense... not to us lay people.

I know (I'm a layperson), that's why I put in the definitions for the last few words.

Basically, if someone causes you to believe you're about to be a victim of 'battery', ie, any contact, then they have committed assault. Whether they make contact or not.
    MTB/CX

• cloggsy
    cloggsy Posts: 243
    I just hope the guy who took the video gets the police involved as soon as... The 'idiot' need some 'time on his own' to contemplate his actions I think!
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    if you think you're going to get your head kicked in because someone is threatening you then it is assault even if they dont actually touch you
  • fatherted
    fatherted Posts: 199
    I've been commuting in to London for the last 36 years and until recently have never witnessed this kind of behaviour and I had previously never heard of people reacting like this.
    What is it that attracts these people to cyclists who wear cameras on their heads ?
    The cyclist in question comments in another vid that he takes days off work to go and see "how bad the traffic is" (!!!???).
    The actions, attitudes and verbal exchanges given by some cyclists will p1ss off some drivers and to be honest I think this is what has happened here.

Car: "oh come on mate" - not shouted, but said in a kind of 'I've been held up & I'm moaning voice'

Cyclist shouting back , and in my view this is where the confrontation takes off
    "you've got a whole load of a bit of road there"

Me , I would have acknowledged his little moan , maybe with a "yeah okay" and continued up the road.

But we're all different and I prefer to keep my bike between my legs and not have it wrapped around my head which is what will inevitably happen to this person and others like him who wear cameras for all the wrong reasons.
  • stuj15
    stuj15 Posts: 167
    Ted, I think you only have to look at the footage of the passenger going ballistic after the "you've got a whole load of road there" comment to know that you could have said absolutely anything back to him in that state and he would have reacted the same.

You've got to admit that it was a MASSIVE overreaction from the passenger.
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    fatherted wrote:
    I've been commuting in to London for the last 36 years and until recently have never witnessed this kind of behaviour and I had previously never heard of people reacting like this....

What is it that attracts these people to cyclists who wear cameras on their heads ?

Origamist "real world, not YouTube" anecdata: I hear obscenities and threats traded between road users pretty much on a weekly basis. I see people fronting up to each other every 4-6 months or so. I have witnessed 3 violent assaults in 30 years of riding on the roads. The only thing that all of these incidents had in common was that none of the parties involved (to the best of my knowledge) was wearing a camera at the time -
    funny old world, eh?

Edit: This thread will not make Kurako happy...
  • Clever Pun
    My thoughts as watching the knuckle dragger giving it the Liam Gallagher down the road: either cycle off quickly and avoid him altogether
    or
    get off the bike and be ready for impending nonsense (of course being ready for something might enrage him further... but a lot of the time by talking fast and agressive can bewilder the lesser braincelled and make them wander off aimlessly allowing you to remove yourself from the blast zone. Not always effective though)

Being astraddle your bike leaves you in a very vunerable position. As in the vid a while back if you go over (highly likely as you can't step anywhere) you can't defend yourself and will quite likely sustain more damage if they feel it appropriate.

Of course you could lift your bike above your head start screaming and run at him
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD
    ^^Spoken like a true Warrior^^

My thoughts exactly and that is why i dismounted my bike when the guy offered me out in Elephant and Castle.

Also positioning your bike between you and the kunt follicle can act as a psychological barrier you can also push it into him if needs be.
    Food Chain number = 4

• You just don't know how big the cyclist is, though. I would imagine that the knuckle-dragger must have thought he was small enough to try it on with. Perhaps he wouldn't have done so with either of you two, CP or DDD.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    You just don't know how big the cyclist is, though. I would imagine that the knuckle-dragger must have thought he was small enough to try it on with. Perhaps he wouldn't have done so with either of you two, CP or DDD.

+1 Being over 6' means its less likely that people will try and square up to you like that. On the other hand though, the ones that then do are more likely to be batshit crazy.
  • Clever Pun
    yep they tire you out by their relentless getting back up, after a while your hands will be really sore... that's when they'll strike :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5