God Botherer's

Comments

• Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    DIESELDOG wrote:
    There are no such things as pink elephants, they are yellow, and they hide upside down in bowls of custard in your fridge. ...
    Really? Then explain pink dinner school custard.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    Crapaud wrote:
    DIESELDOG wrote:
    There are no such things as pink elephants, they are yellow, and they hide upside down in bowls of custard in your fridge. ...
    Really? Then explain pink dinner school custard.

Another environmental disaster caused by man (or rather school dinner lady) that has resulted in the yellow custard residing elephant to become an endagered species.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    AidanR wrote:

I hope that all makes sense. I'm pretty tired and this has been a fairly lonely battle!

I think you've made a lot of sense - against some pretty abusive comments. You have argued with dignity and made your point well.

However, many of those who disagree with you are insulting at best. There is not point in trying to debate this issue unless those on both sides treat each other with some respect. You have behaved well in debate, some on the other side of the argument less so.

Is there a god? - There might be, but I don't know.

-Spider-
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    ddraver wrote:
    OK, I apologise in advance, I am now drunk!!

The important point is Was he he "son of god" was he resurrected? Science says the above is impossible and ther is no proof to suggest that the biblical story is true. Your drift appears to suggest that because the story is old therefore it is right...Rubbish!

Nope, not even close to getting my point. Hope the hangover isn't too bad.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • ellieb
    ellieb Posts: 436
    I can't believe this thread is now onto its 11th page and we still haven't decided whether or not God exists. Come on people. We need to come to a concensus. :twisted:
  • Oh bigger, this thread has gone down the "does god exist argument".
    :roll:
    Summer - Dolan Tuono with Sram Force and Dura-Ace 7850 CL Carbon wheels
    Winter - old faithful Ribble winter bike
    SugarSync cloud storage referral link (better than DropBox atm imho) https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?rf=mzo2tcrhm5gn
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    ddraver wrote:
    The important point is Was he he "son of god" was he resurrected? Science says the above is impossible and ther is no proof to suggest that the biblical story is true.

Science says nothing of the sort. You are fundamentally misunderstanding the scientific method. Just because science cannot explain something, doesn't mean science "says [it's] impossible". Just to be clear, this is not me saying that it is true because science can't explain it. Science isn't a world view; it isn't a philosophy. This is why I can quite happily believe in God and "believe" in science (though I don't think that's quite the right word here). It's possibly why some of the greatest scientists the world has ever seen could believe in God too.
    ddraver wrote:
    @Aidan - your paragraph about not believing has been discussed at least 3 times above. There is no sleight of hand - Atheists do not believe - that is all.

Just because you don't understand it because you have been indoctrinated/grown up with a belief in god does not make it less true! This is Russel's teapot YET AGAIN!!!!!!

I suspect that your next post about belief vs belief and not proving the absence of god can be answered by...see above

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. There is a lot of debate on the exact definition of atheism, so it cannot be surprising that two perfectly intelligent people can come to different conclusions through their own lines of reasoning.

Russell's Teapot is a very difficult thing to argue against. But it is also not that much of an argument in itself - all it does is try and point and laugh at the "absurd" idea of God and the idiots who believe in Him. But to ridicule in this way an idea still supported by the majority of humans, an idea that has been debated and philosophised over by some of the most intelligent people who have ever lived over the course of millennia, is rather arrogant.

I take umbrage at your claim that I have been indoctrinated. As somebody who grew up an atheist and who found God later in life, I am more likely to be an indoctrinated atheist than theist. In the secular society in which we live, one is much more likely to be "indoctrinated" as an atheist than anything else.

This is a classic line of thought: Does someone believe in God? OK, it must be because they're stupid. Ah OK, they're capable of reasoned argument... they must have been indoctrinated because they couldn't possibly come to a different conclusion to me.

@ Cleat Eastwood and -spider- Thank you.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    AidanR wrote:

I hope that all makes sense. I'm pretty tired and this has been a fairly lonely battle!

And chapeau to you sir, you've held your corner well against the obligatory confusions over belief/faith/scientific sytems of 'logic'.

+1
  • legin
    legin Posts: 132
    in the army your not allowed to talk about religion or politics for a good reason,its a very emotive subject.
    whether you believe in god or not you cant blame him for all the bad things that happen in life.
    its like blaming a parent when something bad happens to their child.
    im not particularly religious,however i believe religion instills good qualities in people and im happy both my children go to church.
    it teaches them respect gives them self worth and makes them treat others how they would like to be treated.
    my wife works with the salvation army to run a youth club and a sumershine week in the school holidays for local children.all the christian people involved give their own time up for others and i admire their faith.
    everyone believes in something even if its just themselves.
    its a tough old world out there if religion helps people to get through tough times and gives them faith for the future what harm does it do.
    there will allways be extremists in the world you cant tar everyone with the same brush.there is far more good than evil.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    AidanR wrote:

And chapeau to you sir, you've held your corner well against the obligatory confusions over belief/faith/scientific sytems of 'logic'.

That is the first insulting post on the whole thread (and even so, it ain't that bad). Aidan, me and others have argued perfectly politely thus far. Just because i don't agree with his or your arguments does not mean I think any less of him or you. If we re going to go down the path of "I ll arguing with Science" but "you can't insult my religious beliefs by questioning them" then the discussion is over...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • AidanR
    I'd agree the tone of the debate has been pretty respectful. I think that reflects well on everyone involved. And nobody's mentioned Hitler.
  • AidanR
    I'd agree the tone of the debate has been pretty respectful. I think that reflects well on everyone involved. And nobody's mentioned Hitler.

Well you did once but I think you got away with it :lol:
    Coffee is not my cup of tea

Moda Fresco track racer
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro 6 winter commuter
    Gunnar Hyper X
    Rocky Mountain ETSX
    Cannondale Scalpel 3000 (retro-bike in bits)
    Lemond Poprad Disc, now retired pending frame re-paint.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    ddraver wrote:
    AidanR wrote:

That is the first insulting post on the whole thread (and even so, it ain't that bad). Aidan, me and others have argued perfectly politely thus far. Just because i don't agree with his or your arguments does not mean I think any less of him or you. If we re going to go down the path of "I ll arguing with Science" but "you can't insult my religious beliefs by questioning them" then the discussion is over...

I think you've misunderstood the post. I'm saying that in terms of linguistic reference there are areas of science/religion that overlap and there are areas that are mutually exclusive and thus we have an inherent confusion in our language about notions of belief in theory and notions of belief pertaining to various religious dogma's. Unless terms are defined then such confusions are likely to persist, which my lack of explanation and perceived your lack of understanding has clearly shown.

It's as wittgenstein said; all debate is ultimately a language game. But it has been a interesting thread. A few more bosoms and it would have been perfect.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Crapaud
    ellieb wrote:
    I can't believe this thread is now onto its 11th page and we still haven't decided whether or not God exists. Come on people. We need to come to a concensus. :twisted:
    There's only one way to settle it - a coin toss.

Heads He doesn't exist.

british-silver-coin-768415.jpgWe win!!! :D
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • AidanR
    Nah, you're looking at it from the wrong side ;)
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    Crapaud wrote:
    ellieb wrote:
    There's only one way to settle it - a coin toss.

Heads He doesn't exist.

british-silver-coin-768415.jpgWe win!!! :D

Heads I win, tails you lose.

Simples...

Oh and elephants paint their nails red every now and then which when mixed with the custard give a kind of pinkish hue.

Honest.

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • Crapaud
    DIESELDOG wrote:

Simples...

Oh and elephants paint their nails red every now and then which when mixed with the custard give a kind of pinkish hue.

Honest.

Love n hugs

DD
    It all makes so much more sense when you apply scientific principles instead if just pulling answers out your arse.
  • DIESELDOG
    Crapaud wrote:
    DIESELDOG wrote:

Simples...

Honest.

Love n hugs

DD
    It all makes so much more sense when you apply scientific principles instead if just pulling answers out your ars*.

Well it's hardly scientific more physiological but if I must...

Red, is a primary colour, to obtain a subtractive colour, (i.e the pinkish hue of Elephant feet with painted toenails being upside down in custard) you add a dash of another colour, yellow being a favourite. And as we all know both are "subtractive primaries".

This is all well and good, until you come to CMYK, often used in advertising, publishing etc. Then it tends to get a bit skewed as mixing M (Magenta) with Y (Yellow) = red.

And bang goes the theory of elephants hiding in custard, and I do believe that Sir Isaac, (local lad, good with apples) had something to offer on the matter...

Except I have to ask this, have you ever seen a pink elephant in custard?

If not, they're either bloody good at what they do, or they do not exist.

Love n hugs

DD

• Crapaud
    DIESELDOG wrote:
    Except I have to ask this, have you ever seen a pink elephant in custard?
    Have you never wondered what the lumpy bits were?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    legin wrote:
    in the army your not allowed to talk about religion or politics for a good reason,its a very emotive subject.
    whether you believe in god or not you cant blame him for all the bad things that happen in life.
    its like blaming a parent when something bad happens to their child.
    im not particularly religious,however i believe religion instills good qualities in people and im happy both my children go to church.
    it teaches them respect gives them self worth and makes them treat others how they would like to be treated.
    my wife works with the salvation army to run a youth club and a sumershine week in the school holidays for local children.all the christian people involved give their own time up for others and i admire their faith.
    everyone believes in something even if its just themselves.
    its a tough old world out there if religion helps people to get through tough times and gives them faith for the future what harm does it do.
    there will allways be extremists in the world you cant tar everyone with the same brush.there is far more good than evil.

Factual fail. The Army has church parades, rememberance ceremonies and chaplains of every faith.

No politics........?

Please[/i...

Gramatically insulting after all the posts in the preceding pages full of succinct and thought out rhetoric you come accross as a toddler wanting to do well.
  • I really wanna keep up to date with what I have missed since I went camping last week, but I don't feel like 6 pages of bullish.

Anyone wanna summarise?
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170
    I really wanna keep up to date with what I have missed since I went camping last week, but I don't feel like 6 pages of bullish.

Anyone wanna summarise?

Some people have a belief a god exists, other people have a belief they know a god doesn’t exist.
    Mañana
  • Other people believe elephants hang out in custard when most people know they just like climbing trees or hiding in fridges...
  • Awesome, thanks for the summary. I'm now up to date, move along folks......
  • DIESELDOG
    Other people believe elephants hang out in custard when most people know they just like climbing trees or hiding in fridges...

No they don't, the trunks are too small...

Love n hugs

DD

• STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Couldn't be @rsed to read the thread but could someone link to the undisputable truth that there is or isn't a higher power?

No?

Thought not.

Thread closed.
  • DIESELDOG
    Couldn't be @rsed to read the thread but could someone link to the undisputable truth that there is or isn't a higher power?

No?

Thought not.

Thread closed.

Oh the truth is out there alright, it just takes a little time and energy to find it.

Love n hugs

DD

• DIESELDOG wrote:
    Other people believe elephants hang out in custard when most people know they just like climbing trees or hiding in fridges...

No they don't, the trunks are too small...

Love n hugs

DD

They are not going swimming...
  • If god doesnt exist then how do you explain these...

bouncing-boobs-animation_4.gif

That's better, I like her more.............. 8)