Forum home Road cycling forum The bottom bracket

God Botherer's

2456789

Posts

  • gilesjukgilesjuk Posts: 340

    Politics causes trouble not religion. When religion causes trouble, it because of politics.

    Politicians can usually (except the religious ones like Blair) be reasoned with, they can be made to change their minds. They can be elected, they can be removed. Politicians are not in conflict with science.

    Those who are strictly religious are fanatics who believe in something without any proof.
  • RichN95.RichN95. Posts: 22,987
    LangerDan wrote:
    Some years ago I was doorstepped by a couple of freshly-scrubbed stormtroopers from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Despite the fact that the combined age of the two of them was around 40, they both wore nicely printed badges to inform me that they were, in fact, church " Elders".
    "Elder Smith", I could cope with, but I nearly wet myself when I saw that the second lads badge read "Elder LeMon"

    Those badges are probably why Chuck Berry never joined up.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Sirius631Sirius631 Posts: 1,015
    Politics causes trouble not religion. When religion causes trouble, it because of politics.

    I would argue the reverse. Politics gets twisted by the 'leaders' religion. Dubya evoked God so many times in the run up to the second Gulf War and the Iraq War it made me sick.

    The Jews and the Palestinians don't need any more hatred between them than that generated by their religion.

    The Romans kicked the Jews out of 'the promised land' in the first place because of religious intolerance.

    It wouldn't be a problem if some of these religions exhibited an ounce of faith and actually followed their own doctrine.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • pauldavidpauldavid Posts: 440
    Sirius631 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    I really do fvcking hate religion and all the trouble it causes.

    +1

    Politics causes trouble not religion. When religion causes trouble, it because of politics.

    Religion causes trouble, if you want to talk to an imaginery elderly man about your troubles that's fine but don't doorstep every other facker to join in, we DONT WANT TO KNOW.

    Incidentally I find that if you know it is Jesus freaks of any sort at the door, answer it with a copy of Razzle under one arm and a roll of tissue under the other and your fly undone telling them to be quick as you have an urgent job to take care of and they soon censored off
  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 47,435 Lives Here
    Sirius631 wrote:
    Politics causes trouble not religion. When religion causes trouble, it because of politics.

    I would argue the reverse. Politics gets twisted by the 'leaders' religion. Dubya evoked God so many times in the run up to the second Gulf War and the Iraq War it made me sick.

    The Jews and the Palestinians don't need any more hatred between them than that generated by their religion.

    The Romans kicked the Jews out of 'the promised land' in the first place because of religious intolerance.

    It wouldn't be a problem if some of these religions exhibited an ounce of faith and actually followed their own doctrine.

    Ah disagree.

    Religion is believing in whatever, living your life in a certain way blah.

    War, hating on other groups, conflict, blah blah, is all political. Sometimes it's in the name of a religion, other times it's in the name of the way you want a nation to be governed, blah blah.

    But as soon as religion impacts on anything like that it is a political issue that happens to involve religion.

    In essence, religion behaves in exactly the same way as nationalism or any other political belief - even as basic as "this land belongs to the group I identify with, not the group you identify with". So religion isn't the issue. Humans doing what humans do is the issue. What they do it in the name of or for is erroneous.
  • PseudonymPseudonym Posts: 1,032
    if god truly existed, he would have already removed the apostrophe in god botherer's....
  • Pseudonym wrote:
    if god truly existed, he would have already removed the apostrophe in god botherer's....

    I think his lightning bolt missed and a Rabbi, Monk and Shaman got zapped on a golf course somewhere instead.
  • cornerblockcornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Pseudonym wrote:
    if god truly existed, he would have already removed the apostrophe in god botherer's....

    I think his lightning bolt missed and a Rabbi, Monk and Shaman got zapped on a golf course somewhere instead.

    Would that be on the religious leadersboard?

    Where's the cloakroom?
  • ju5t1nju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    Ben6899 wrote:

    I really do fvcking hate religion and all the trouble it causes.
    Christmas is quite good though isn’t it?
  • Pseudonym wrote:
    if god truly existed, he would have already removed the apostrophe in god botherer's....

    I think his lightning bolt missed and a Rabbi, Monk and Shaman got zapped on a golf course somewhere instead.

    Would that be on the religious leadersboard?

    Where's the cloakroom?

    Not sure, but I bet the 19th is a riot after a few scoops. :lol:
  • ju5t1n wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

    I really do fvcking hate religion and all the trouble it causes.
    Christmas is quite good though isn’t it?

    Not for a decade or two, far too commercial and the family riots have become a pain in the ars3.
  • Ben6899Ben6899 Posts: 7,284
    ju5t1n wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

    I really do fvcking hate religion and all the trouble it causes.
    Christmas is quite good though isn’t it?

    Yes it is. Because people believe in this censored , I get a week off work every year to spend with family and friends in the pub.
    Ben

    Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
  • MountainMonsterMountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    The only true religion on Earth is the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Only one I would ever consider joining, also so I can wear a cool strainer on my head for my license photo.
  • Frank the tankFrank the tank Posts: 6,806
    Just tell them I never buy anything from anyone who knocks on my door, beit household gissmo's,gas, double glazing or religion.

    If I wanted religion in my life I'd go to one of many churches in my neighbourhood. Thank you, and good day. :D
    Tail end Charlie

    The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Was fixing the thermostat on the immersion heater many years ago when there was a knock at the door. Extracting myself from the shoebox of an airing cupboard didn't do my humour any good so when I opened the door with a face like fizz, covered in bits of fluff and wielding a screwdriver my two visitors took a definite step back and a couple more chose words were all it took to ensure a hasty departure.

    Regards politics and religion, they are essentially the same thing.
    Coffee is not my cup of tea

    Moda Fresco track racer
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro 6 winter commuter
    Gunnar Hyper X
    Rocky Mountain ETSX
    Cannondale Scalpel 3000 (retro-bike in bits)
    Lemond Poprad Disc, now retired pending frame re-paint.
  • Cleat EastwoodCleat Eastwood Posts: 8,191
    edited July 2011
    If god doesnt exist then how do you explain these...

    bouncing-boobs-animation_4.gif
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Believing in things without evidence is the definition of stupidity.
    All hail the FSM and his noodly appendage!
  • Homer JHomer J Posts: 932
    If god doesnt exist then how do you explain these...

    bouncing-boobs-animation_4.gif

    Only the devil could come up with those babies
  • MattC59MattC59 Posts: 5,433
    Believing in things without evidence is the definition of stupidity.
    Belief doesn't require evidence.

    That said, believing something to be true, without the slightest hint that it might be true, isnt' far from the definition of stupidity !
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • The only true religion on Earth is the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Only one I would ever consider joining, also so I can wear a cool strainer on my head for my license photo.
    + lots!! The 8 'I really rather you didn't's' are reason enough to become a Pastafarian.

    1.
    I'd Really Rather You Didn't Act Like A Sanctimonious Holier-Than-Thou censored When Describing My Noodly Goodness. If Some People Don't Believe In Me, That's Okay. Really, I'm Not That Vain. Besides, This Isn't About Them So Don't Change The Subject.

    2.
    I'd Really Rather You Didn't Use My Existence As A Means To Oppress, Subjugate, Punish, Eviscerate, And/Or, You Know, Be Mean To Others. I Don't Require Sacrifices, And Purity Is For Drinking Water, Not People.

    6.
    I'd Really Rather You Didn't Build multi million-Dollar Churches/Temples/Mosques/ Shrines To My Noodly Goodness When The Money Could Be Better Spent (Take Your Pick): A. Ending Poverty B. Curing Diseases C. Living In Peace, Loving With Passion, And Lowering The Cost Of Cable. I Might Be A Complex Carbohydrate Omniscient Being, But I Enjoy The Simple Things In Life. I Ought To Know. I AM The Creator.
  • DIESELDOGDIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    If god doesnt exist then how do you explain these...

    bouncing-boobs-animation_4.gif

    The only true religion on Earth is the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Only one I would ever consider joining, also so I can wear a cool strainer on my head for my license photo.
    + lots!! The 8 'I really rather you didn't's' are reason enough to become a Pastafarian.

    1.
    I'd Really Rather You Didn't Act Like A Sanctimonious Holier-Than-Thou censored When Describing My Noodly Goodness. If Some People Don't Believe In Me, That's Okay. Really, I'm Not That Vain. Besides, This Isn't About Them So Don't Change The Subject.

    2.
    I'd Really Rather You Didn't Use My Existence As A Means To Oppress, Subjugate, Punish, Eviscerate, And/Or, You Know, Be Mean To Others. I Don't Require Sacrifices, And Purity Is For Drinking Water, Not People.

    6.
    I'd Really Rather You Didn't Build multi million-Dollar Churches/Temples/Mosques/ Shrines To My Noodly Goodness When The Money Could Be Better Spent (Take Your Pick): A. Ending Poverty B. Curing Diseases C. Living In Peace, Loving With Passion, And Lowering The Cost Of Cable. I Might Be A Complex Carbohydrate Omniscient Being, But I Enjoy The Simple Things In Life. I Ought To Know. I AM The Creator.


    Yeah yeah, blah blah blah...

    More boobs please.

    Love n hugs

    DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

    www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • Mike HealeyMike Healey Posts: 1,023
    I tell them I worship the Horned One and they have been known to back away from the door.[/i]
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • I had two elderly ladies trying to convince me jehovas was the way at the door, I just said if a god did exist why can't I find it/him/her whatever alone in my own time? I talked with them for 20 minutes on existentialism and they gave up. They've not been back since but I've seen them going for round two with the neighbours.
    BUT- what really gets my goat(horned satanic goat at that) is how these cretins are allowed to put up billboard posters on every street corner advertising salvation and redemption. This is surely reportable to trading standards they can't even prove their god exists!
    I'd love to put up some posters for satanism just for a laugh- "come over to the darks side, fed up of being nice and getting shat on- our music is better, there's sex drugs and rock'n'roll all waiting for you, naked women will want you when you believe in the devil and denounce god and jesus forever"
    If the god squad didn't burn down the boards, the companies who owned the boards and tolerated advertising from the "opposition" I'd be very, very surprised.....
  • elliebellieb Posts: 436
    ^ I've done the satanist schtick. It works quite well. You say 'Look. I'm really sorry but I'm up to my eyeballs in it at the moment, you've just caught me sacrificing a virgin to satan. Could you pop back in an hour or so?'
  • unixnerdunixnerd Posts: 2,864
    We had some up here giving out the Watchtower, they come round once a year or so and they almost have it right. One is a very pretty young thing who knows she's very pretty and uses her god given talents to get you into a conversation - she can come in any time. Alas she's always with a Mary Whitehouse clone (three of them seem to alternate and take turns) who has a smile that would curdle vinegar.

    As an aside I was brought up Catholic. There are a lot of very nice and well meaning people at Sunday mass in my experience, but the Church's attitude to AIDS, contraception, abortion, etc. causes misery on an untold scale in the third world and I want no part of it. I'm sure their insistence on priests being unable to marry has caused a lot of the child abuse problems they've been tarnished by.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • cruiser33cruiser33 Posts: 464
    I kind of admire them to a degree; I mean they must basically get the door slammed in their faces 99% of the time but they stick with it and keep on trying to bring everyone into the fold...................I still of course want them to Sod off though!
  • Sirius631Sirius631 Posts: 1,015
    ju5t1n wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

    I really do fvcking hate religion and all the trouble it causes.
    Christmas is quite good though isn’t it?

    Not for my weight control it isn't, nor for my mileage or ride time target.

    Not for all the rubbish on telly over the holiday period.

    Not for all the head scratching I have to do to buy appropriate presents for the family, with money I can't afford, to celebrate something I don't believe in.

    Not for the rubbish, inappropriate presents I get in return.

    Not for all the money we give to China for making all the rubbish presents that will end up in our restricted landfill space. And China don't even believe in Christ, so why should they get the benefit?

    Not for the 'peace and goodwill to all men' because that is something that should be practised every day.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • gilesjukgilesjuk Posts: 340
    ju5t1n wrote:
    Christmas is quite good though isn’t it?

    You can thank the pagans for much of it.

    Christmas tree - pagan.

    Giving of gifts - pagan (catholics banned it at one point).

    There's probably more :)
  • MattC59MattC59 Posts: 5,433
    Sirius631 wrote:
    ju5t1n wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

    I really do fvcking hate religion and all the trouble it causes.
    Christmas is quite good though isn’t it?

    Not for my weight control it isn't, nor for my mileage or ride time target.

    Not for all the rubbish on telly over the holiday period.

    Not for all the head scratching I have to do to buy appropriate presents for the family, with money I can't afford, to celebrate something I don't believe in.

    Not for the rubbish, inappropriate presents I get in return.

    Not for all the money we give to China for making all the rubbish presents that will end up in our restricted landfill space. And China don't even believe in Christ, so why should they get the benefit?

    Not for the 'peace and goodwill to all men' because that is something that should be practised every day.

    Chin up Scrooge !!
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • MountainMonsterMountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    Sirius631 wrote:
    ju5t1n wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

    I really do fvcking hate religion and all the trouble it causes.
    Christmas is quite good though isn’t it?

    Not for my weight control it isn't, nor for my mileage or ride time target.

    Not for all the rubbish on telly over the holiday period.

    Not for all the head scratching I have to do to buy appropriate presents for the family, with money I can't afford, to celebrate something I don't believe in.

    Not for the rubbish, inappropriate presents I get in return.

    Not for all the money we give to China for making all the rubbish presents that will end up in our restricted landfill space. And China don't even believe in Christ, so why should they get the benefit?

    Not for the 'peace and goodwill to all men' because that is something that should be practised every day.

    Easy ways to fix:

    You don't eat as much, and go riding more.

    You shouldn't be a slave to telly anyways.

    You ask them what they want, within a certain budget you can afford.

    You inform people of things of interest for you. My family knows that at any holiday, the best gift to me is a gift card to the LBS.

    Are you actually serious about the china arguement? If so, welcome to a globalized world. The stuff has to come from somewhere.

    It should be practiced everyday, but it's nice having everyone in the same room, everyone on streets with a smile and being happy, and it's nice being in christmas family spirit, even if you arn't religious.
Sign In or Register to comment.