What is the fastest speed you've reached on a bike?

Comments

• 53mph: on a hill that is part of a pair of locally known "big dippers" between Torrington and Atherington in Devon.
  • MarcBC
    MarcBC Posts: 333
    Not a record but 38mph in the last 4 months. Can't remember my top speed 30 odd years ago
  • Phill Thom
    Phill Thom Posts: 50
    48 mph, on a down hill just outside Carmarthen on the Merlin ride..Would have been faster if I had the nads to pedal..
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    back again

so 34.9 mph in edinburgh city center

speed tuck on a hard tail with inverted tyres, brake when you dare
  • WTF wrote:
    49 mph downhill with tailwind..
    The gearing on most standard setups won`t allow much more than say 45mph.

I also got 49mph. Gave me one hell of a buzz even tho I failed to hit the big 50 that I was aiming for. Does your bike feel unstable at that speed?
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    55mph in Mallorca 10 years ago...and yes I backed off at that. Nowadays I wouldnt even consider doing those speeds.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    After having an 'off' at Christmas I thought I'd been taking it easy. Apparently not, just did a sportive this morning and came down Barhatch lane in Surrey I got to 47mph. Glad I didn't know at the time or I would have backed off.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Oops, wrong page, I was looking for the "Who has the blackest cat" thread :-)
  • Hit 49 mph yesterday on a lovely down hill, no peddeling and on dry roads with no wind, working as a group with head down and a tail wind 60mph would have been very easily reached maybe even 65mph!! :roll:
  • Roobsa
    Roobsa Posts: 37
    Another 49mph max speed here. Could've hit the 50+ but there was a club member infront of me and we were rapidly running out of road so I put safety first and pulled up before anything could happen.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    50+ mph down Kop Hill

Oh yes, much fun :D

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Simon-R7
    Simon-R7 Posts: 59
    SecretSam wrote:
    50+ mph down Kop Hill

Hope your brakes work well for the T junction at the bottom :shock:
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    SecretSam wrote:
    50+ mph down Kop Hill

Yep 50 for me too down Kop hill
    left the forum March 2023
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Given the rotation of the earth, the speed of its orbit around the sun and the rate at which the universe is expanding ... Several thousand mph methinks...
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    about 36 mph i have no courage lol
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • blackstick
    blackstick Posts: 151
    60 mph going downhill according to my cheapo bike pc,
    it was also raining and very windy.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Phill Thom wrote:
    48 mph, on a down hill just outside Carmarthen on the Merlin ride..Would have been faster if I had the nads to pedal..

Pftt, I got 49 that day. As usual my amazing coasting prowess comes to the fore.

I suspect, with our new FFWD rims, we'd easily top 50.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    It's not hilly enough in Suffolk for speeds above 41.5mph (pedalling) which is my highest to date. I need to ride in hillier places.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Fastest I have done on a hill is circa 40mph that has been calculated on a hill in France, hardly ride hills so cant do anything more. All this talk of hitting 50+ is making me want to find some hills but also making me sheet scared!
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Last year I got pulled over by a police car on Downs Road in Epsom for going 45 in a 30 zone. It was Derby day and the road was totally clear so i thought awesome lets go for it. Apparently though her Majesty was due to be coming up the road any minute and they didnt want her to belayed by a dead cyclist.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • fevmeister
    fevmeister Posts: 353
    99.9mph
  • After a journey up bwlch y groes i let the bike run free for a bit, 56 mph approached very quickly before i decided it was time to get on the brakes, there was a lot of gravel on the road! I think a lot of cyclists can say that this must be one of the fastest descents in mid wales!
  • McTiger wrote:
    Indicated 57mph on the descent from Lochranza to Sannox, Isle of Arran. On my old cast iron Raleigh Amazon with smooth tyres. I'm sure I'd have burst 60 if I'd taken the panniers & tent off the back. Not brave enough to try that again now I'm, wiser?

I went 49Mph there in July, but chickened out at that speed :).
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Strava says I hit 57mph down this one:

http://app.strava.com/activities/82818963#1689612565

Not quite fast enough to cleanly bag the top spot.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I did my commute home once at about 12.5 miles. When I got home I looked at Cyclemeter and it said my average speed had been 45mph.

Impressed?

I would have been had I not put the bike in the back of the car and driven the last 5 miles down the A3, without switching it off.
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    54mph down Iron Mountain Abergavenny
  • leedsmjh
    leedsmjh Posts: 196
    48.7 mph somewhere between pately bridge and grassington in Yaaaarkshire

48 mph for me on the very same road
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    42mph on my mountain bike on a fire road. It was not intentional and I suddenly found myself going way too fast on a rutted fire road with no easy way to stop safely. Luckily the fire road was smoother further down so I could cut the speed down.

On a road bike I don't trust the rim brakes to stop me at that kind of speed especially in the wet, so tend to hover around 30mph unless it is a clear, wide smooth road in dry conditions. With disc brakes I would be happy to go faster.
  • Had my road bike just over 2 months and the fastest official speed after upload to Strava is a modest 34mph, been to 40mph when I was younger but don't feel like taking so many risks now I'm older. Also winter is coming on, had first black ice this morning so I won't be attempting to beat these figures any time soon.
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    Fastest I've done is 41mph downhill down a long, straight dual-carraigeway. Told my mate and his response was "crickey, that'd hurt if you came off at that speed" and i've been a bit more cautious since then. To be honest, I wouldn't want to go much quicker than that anyway, but then I'm a bit of a wimp!!
    64 mph per bike computer, coming down from Owler Bar roundabout towards Chatsworth gate house roundabout in the Peak District, during local evening Road Race in 1995. Guys all around me were chatting, some with hands off bars, and I could reach out and touch half a dozen if I'd wanted (although I was too petrified to take my hands off the levers for a second).

The climb out of the other side was equally painful - desparately trying not to get dropped off the back...

Know the hill well, although I've never cycled it - out of interest - which way did you climb out of Baslow? Or did you loop the roundabout and go back up the same hill you'd just come down?
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"