What is the fastest speed you've reached on a bike?

Comments

• balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    CiB wrote:
    48 on the run into the back of Brighton off the back of Ditchling Beacon on L2B
    I've been down there at mid 50's mph with a more helpful wind, once whilst overtaken at some extra speed by what appeared to be a couple of geography teachers on a tandem. Tandems are brilliant for going downhill faster.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    balthazar wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    48 on the run into the back of Brighton off the back of Ditchling Beacon on L2B
    I've been down there at mid 50's mph with a more helpful wind, once whilst overtaken at some speed by what appeared to be a couple of geography teachers on a tandem. Tandems are brilliant for going downhill faster.
    It's probably the most worried I've been at speed, due to having been knocked off 10 miles earlier leaving me with a bent front wheel and the front brakes wide open so that the wheel could still turn, net result no front brakes and a lot of other cyclists all trying to break their own personal Land Speed Record.
  • smithaay
    smithaay Posts: 114
    honestly i have no idea :)
    Eat.Ride.Sleep.
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    photobucket003.jpg

68 mph[/img]
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    sub55 wrote:
    68 mph
    Just claiming it is proof enough: you don't need the picture, there being no advantage in lying about these things anonymously. That's the fastest I ever heard, by a bit. Well done! Where's the hill?
  • mattward1979
    mattward1979 Posts: 692
    balthazar wrote:
    sub55 wrote:
    68 mph
    Just claiming it is proof enough: you don't need the picture, there being no advantage in lying about these things anonymously. That's the fastest I ever heard, by a bit. Well done! Where's the hill?

More importantly, If thats from a head cam, wheres the video!! Else its just a bad photo of a broken speedo =P
    exercise.png
  • I thought the fastest they go on the tour de france is 60mph? it seems like they could go faster if they tried, would probably need a much bigger chaining too
  • glanma
    glanma Posts: 36
    I got 52mph on a hill in a quiet country lane leading down to Brasted in Kent last week - couldn't quite believe my eyes as that's by far the fastest I've ever been on a bike! It was a new road to me and I had been advised to use the brakes at the top to cope with a blind bend early on - now I know the road I'll be tempted to be a bit lighter on the brakes next time and see how much more I can get!
  • Pinner
    Pinner Posts: 19
    I spun out my 53/12 at over 200 RPM cadence and saw a touch over 90km/h I think. That was tucked in behind a car down a mountain in NZ, I then pulled out and overtook the car at the next corner 8)

I also rode a similar sized hill on a top end timetrial bike with carbon race wheels etc, was in a full tuck the whole way and stopped pedaling when I spun out top gear, didnt have a speedo but as I can hit 210RPM cadence topped out I would say it would have been close to 95-96km/h.
    Custom 2010 Stumpjumper FSR Pro AM
    Custom 2009 Specialized Tarmac Pro SL2
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    http://www.machars.net/bikecalc.htm That'd be 111.4kph if your numbers are accurate...

I managed 56mph (90kph) recorded on the speedo on a fast descent in Oxfordshire - we were 3 abreast on a single-lane road - probably a bit daft in hindsite. Fun though.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    Just over 40mph. Don't have the balls to go any faster.
  • According to Garmin connect 71.1 mph..... Then I checked the map and it would appear I forgot to turn off my 705 on the train.

Genuine fastest is 41 mph and it felt quick, think 50 is possible, maybe if I took my bike to parents house and rode down Stile Cop, but it's pretty bumpy so I think I might chicken out.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • ThatBikeGuy
    ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
    52 mph IIRC...Going down some hill in the moors, in the pouring rain too. :lol: Nearly got thrown off of the bike when i passed over the cattle grid at the bottom, that was a tad scary.
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • 50.4 mph on road bike. Had helmet on but obviously no other protection - won't be doing that again in a hurry :roll:
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    balthazar wrote:
    sub55 wrote:
    68 mph

where ? A479 towards talgarth in the brecon beacons. fairly confident it is actually correct. was using the polar ( picture of )and a standard cycle computer at the same time. they both came out with the same max speed. basically i had just gone round the twisty bit at the top of the hill and hit terminal velocity, when a white sprinter van came by and i tucked in behind him, was probably only there 10 secs before i bottled it. moved to the right , made eye contact with the driver in his wing mirror , i could see his brain ticking over, thinking what the fu*k . then the wind hit me and i slowed down before hitting the brakes for the roundabout at the bottom.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Thebigbee
    Thebigbee Posts: 570
    38.5 mph on a hybrid, downhill without a helmet.

Not tested my road bike fully yet especially not with SPD set up. But I expect to be quite a bit quicker so may start wearing a lid.

You wouldn't want to jump out of a car at 40mph + would you?!

The funny thing is when I go fast I am basically wearing nothing and have no protection - as do the pros - but the only thing you are actually worrying about is your bonce! Well - I am anyway.
  • flateric
    flateric Posts: 201
    110mph on my raleigh Grifter on a downhill stretch between Hanslope and castlethorpe. That was a few years ago now of course.
    Bike one Dawes Acoma (heavily modified)
    Bike two (trek) Lemond Etape (dusty and not ridden much)
    Bike Three Claude Butler chinook, (freebee from
    Freecycle, Being stripped and rebuilt
    (is 3 too many bikes)
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Thebigbee wrote:

Not tested my road bike fully yet especially not with SPD set up. But I expect to be quite a bit quicker so may start wearing a lid.

The funny thing is when I go fast I am basically wearing nothing and have no protection - as do the pros - but the only thing you are actually worrying about is your bonce! Well - I am anyway.

Well, you could cover your body in paper. I suggest this only because it will offer roughly the same level of protection should you hit something solid at 40mph as a helmet will.
  • In 2006 I got the OH to drop me off at the top of the Bealach Na Ba near Applecross and headed off on my GT avalanche(no lockout) on Continental slicks, with a head cam that was actually my "prosumer" gaffad to the helmet. I tried to set it but the video footage is hard to watch, you constantly try and tilt your head back when watching it it's set too low. Anyway, 62mph on the steep descent where it exits the switchbacks at the top, that was enough, sheep to the left, deer over the armco to the right and bemused tourists pulling over even though it was 7am and I'd hoped the road was clear...what a dick never do that again, I was hungover too and yelling "get out the f**ing way" as I passed cars flat out....what a dick :oops:
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Wow and I thought my 30.2 mph was good. Mind you I'm a not very aerodynamic 17stone and I ride a Carrera TDF. I guess these are contributing factors. Must try harder.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    P_Tucker wrote:
    Thebigbee wrote:

Well, you could cover your body in paper. I suggest this only because it will offer roughly the same level of protection should you hit something solid at 40mph as a helmet will.

Not wanting to revisit the helmet debate (please people, don't) How often do you ride into a wall at 40mph ? If you hit a solid object at that speed, you've got other problems (perhaps your eyesight ?!?!), but a helmet will minimise injury to your head.

Most impacts to the head at high speed are glancing blows, therefore the impact force isn't that high. Massively simplified; high speed, low angle of impact. Whilst low speed impacts aren't glancing blows. again Simplified, low speed, high angle of impact.

That said, David Millar said in a recent interview (somewhat paraphrased) "Imagine jumping out of a car naked at 40mph, that's what it's like for us crashing a road bike"
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Mouth wrote:
    Wow and I thought my 30.2 mph was good. Mind you I'm a not very aerodynamic 17stone and I ride a Carrera TDF. I guess these are contributing factors. Must try harder.

find a long ish hill 7% or so with good sight lines and let the bike loose. at 17 stone unless your braking etc all the way down. 40 plus should be easy.

I hit that sort of speed passing though a royal park if I don't brake, from just freewheeling, and i'm lighter.
  • masterchef
    masterchef Posts: 202
    flat road iv hit 45mph... never done that again lmao
    and down hill iv hit 62mph, very scarey never again if i can help it!
    best bike: raleigh avanti U6 carbon comp
    10m tt pb:23:42.
    25m tt pb: 1h 2min( only done 2)
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    masterchef wrote:
    flat road iv hit 45mph...

Please tell me you was doing a wheelie at the same time? Thats amazing

If I could ride at 45mph on the flat id change my name to Captain Awesome.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    masterchef wrote:

Why arn't you on a pro team?
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Meh, I did 40mph on the flat once too.

On my cx bike in 50 x 12

was one hell of a tailwind that day.
  • I got 43.1mph yesterday in Braishfield, Hampshire its a short hill but nice and quiet and you can get the speed up on it. There are better hills in the area but none seem to be quite so fast and have such a good view of possible traffic.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    RowCycle wrote:
    Just over 40mph. Don't have the balls to go any faster.

I love post's like that! Beats the 'i did 280kmph on my fixie' hands down.

Oh, and for the record, i Sh*t myself any faster than 40mph. :(
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    masterchef wrote:

:lol:
  • Thebigbee
    Thebigbee Posts: 570
    MattC59 wrote:
    P_Tucker wrote:
    Thebigbee wrote:

Not wanting to revisit the helmet debate (please people, don't) How often do you ride into a wall at 40mph ? If you hit a solid object at that speed, you've got other problems (perhaps your eyesight ?!?!), but a helmet will minimise injury to your head.

Most impacts to the head at high speed are glancing blows, therefore the impact force isn't that high. Massively simplified; high speed, low angle of impact. Whilst low speed impacts aren't glancing blows. again Simplified, low speed, high angle of impact.

That said, David Millar said in a recent interview (somewhat paraphrased) "Imagine jumping out of a car naked at 40mph, that's what it's like for us crashing a road bike"

Yeah - I basically nicked that from that interview! But makes sense doesn't it?

I think, (hope) the point he was trying to make, was about a car hitting you.

The problem with lids IMO is that my one anyway, would only protect the top of my bonce.

Every wipeout I have had I have had enough time and nous to protect myself. I have ruined wrists, fingers, hands, knees and shoulders.

Funnily enough the top of my head has never come close to getting a scratch.

And in all the collisions I have had the nearest my head has been to the ground has been the SIDE of my head - which I doubt a lid would protect!!

Anyway...