Voeckler

Bronzie
Bronzie Posts: 4,927
edited July 2011 in Pro race
Now that he at least considers himself a GC contender, I can't see him getting away into his signature day-long breaks anymore. Has he shot himself in the foot with his performance this year?

I can't see him being a genuine contender unless he can sort his TT out.

Comments

• moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Bronzie wrote:
    Now that he at least considers himself a GC contender, I can't see him getting away into his signature day-long breaks anymore. Has he shot himself in the foot with his performance this year?

I can't see him being a genuine contender unless he can sort his TT out.

Not sure he would really consider himself a GT rider he found himself in yellow with a decent lead after the hit and run stage and did what was expected of him by defending it brilliantly. If Rolland is in the team next year and showing the same form i i reckon the team will be working for him for overall and Tommy will lose chunks of time to allow him to go in breaks.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    He's not a GC contender.

Rolland might be though.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I'm with Iain, I don't think he considers himself a serious GC contender. He will be kept under a much tighter leash from now on and not allowed to gain a big lead on the GC in future. He has enlivened this tour but we mustn't forget that he got into a lucky break then benefited from the favourites dicking about in the Pyrenees. Besides, he'd need to massively improve his TTing to really have a chance and at 32 I think that's beyond him.

Hopefully he won't start trying to race like a GC contender as it would be a shame to lose his attacking style from the race. With a bit of luck he'll lose 20 minutes in the first week next year so that he can go on his usual suicide breaks
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,572
    His TTing wasn't too bad, up there with most of the other GC contenders apart from Bert and Cadel. The difference is that he doesn't have the fall back of being a great climber to make that time back. I agree that he might have shot himself in the foot though as he won't be allowed one of those transition stage breaks in future. Rolland looks the real deal and who knows where he may have finished if he had a free rein this time? Then again, French TdF false dawns are much like Welsh rugby ones and never turn into reality as riders crumble under the weight of expectation.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    Puts Wiggin's 4th into a little context.
  • inkyfingers

I think they are different cases. Nor disrespect but Voeckler was basically gifted the yellow jersey because of the crashes and a lazy peloton, but fought like a demon to keep it. Wiggins got fourth by consistently riding with the leaders and TTing very well.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,861

I think they are different cases. Nor disrespect but Voeckler was basically gifted the yellow jersey because of the crashes and a lazy peloton, but fought like a demon to keep it. Wiggins got fourth by consistently riding with the leaders and TTing very well.

yeah different type of ride

thou I rate tommys as better a tad.... can tommy hang in without the jersey is the question for a top ten place?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,648
    I think Rick's point is that Voeckler won't get a (multi) million pound deal next year with a team built around his GC hopes
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    I think Rick's point is that Voeckler won't get a (multi) million pound deal next year with a team built around his GC hopes

Although he probably does have close to a million euro deal with a team built around him already.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • takethehighroad
    Didn't he take a pay cut to stay with Europcar?

But I take your point, he'll definately get a pay rise next year
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Voeckler is a champion.

He was offered 800k Eur from Cofidis, rejected it, stayed with EC for 420k Eur. He makes in total about 750k Eur with sponsor stuff.

Chavanel gets 750k,
    Fedrigo and Casar get 400k,
    Peraud, 350k
    Gilbert 1.2m,
    Contador was on 4m at Astana and is on 5m at Saxo,
    Each Schleck is getting 2m,

Source is a French newspaper - not sure which.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    edited July 2011
    Elysee Palace for Fr riders in TdF

tumblr_louvglpDIq1qacyk6o1_500.jpg
    tumblr_louvh6P0Jw1qacyk6o1_500.jpg
    x610.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • takethehighroad
    Who's the one in the pumps? Is that JC Peraud?
  • frenchfighter
    Perrig Quemeneur (EC)...never heard of him. Rolland is top fella
    Contador is the Greatest
  • campagone
    campagone Posts: 270
    I think there's more chance of Voeckler becoming a gc contender than Cancellara or Gilbert, he can just about hang on in the climbs.
    It was agony watching him struggle on the Alpe Duez stage, I so much wanted him to hang on to the yellow. Man of the tour for me, though not forgeting Hoogerland's heroics.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    I can see him do well in hilly one week races with no TT. Not many of those I know, but he could win P-N for example.

Strava is not Zen.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    calvjones wrote:
    but he could win P-N for example.
    Maybe ASO will reward his championship gurning efforts this summer with a TT Lite Paris-Nice next year.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    If the French wanted to help Tommy out, they would've pulled the camera filming him when he was by himself between the groups last Friday. He would've then engaged his little brain, drifted back to the Evans group and conserved some energy.

For me, he's just not a very smart rider. And that really puts me off, I can't stand tactically inept riders.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • inkyfingers
    Yes Iain, we know that...but he's just so godamned cute!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    iainf72 wrote:
    If the French wanted to help Tommy out, they would've pulled the camera filming him when he was by himself between the groups last Friday. He would've then engaged his little brain, drifted back to the Evans group and conserved some energy.

For me, he's just not a very smart rider. And that really puts me off, I can't stand tactically inept riders.

Ah, that's why you don't like Johnny.

Makes sense.
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    To be fair the Director Sportif should have guided him better. Not that easy to think clearly when you are on the limit.

Slightly off topic but why did TV appear to get grief off the fans on Dutch Corner?
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    Carl_P wrote:
    To be fair the Director Sportif should have guided him better. Not that easy to think clearly when you are on the limit.

Slightly off topic but why did TV appear to get grief off the fans on Dutch Corner?

Hoogerland's crash
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    I did wonder if it was that. Bit harsh mind.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Does anyone know what was his best previous TDF best placing in the GC??
    This sudden jump seems to stink a little to me.
    Nice bloke but this result stands out a little.

-Jerry

Ps- I have always been partial to seeing a rider ride on instinct even though that intsinct maybe be hugely flawed. If they all rode conservativley all the time then racing would be a little dull.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • RichN95.
    jerry3571 wrote:

18th in 2004 - the last time he wore the Yellow Jersey and bothered about his GC position.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    jerry3571 wrote:
    This sudden jump seems to stink a little to me.
    Nice bloke but this result stands out a little.

-Jerry

Ps- I have always been partial to seeing a rider ride on instinct even though that intsinct maybe be hugely flawed. If they all rode conservativley all the time then racing would be a little dull.

About 66th? I may be wrong if this doesn't include 2004 but then of course he was gifted many minutes.

I tend to the cynical but if the top guys are climbing 2-3mins slower than PantArmstrong, then Tommy V another 3mins down on the Alpe seems okay to me.

Strava is not Zen.
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Just think that Voeckler with a new Team and new ambitions, means new methods of tuning performance.
    There were a lot of french riders who were up there in the Giro too. I just hope it is the GC riders who are getting cleaner allowing the French to compete rather than the french getting tired of getting thier butts kicked and getting back on the wagon. I seem to think the french have rode the last decade with a lot less Pharmaceutical help than the rest. I'm sure to be proved wrong on that as placing any kind of hope in Professional Cyclists is always a flawed idea.

-Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • RichN95.
    jerry3571 wrote:
    Just think that Voeckler with a new Team and new ambitions, means new methods of tuning performance.

But he's not riding for a new team. He's been on that team for ten years.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,861
    edited July 2011
    iainf72 wrote:

hmmmm maybe but it wasn't a done deal they were coming back was it

ok I agree he persisted too long but if he let contador go and fell back to evans and they stayed away he was also off the podium because bertie could of come over the top?

andy evans and bertie

if one had interjected when vockler came across and was dropped on the telegraph that he shouldn't carry on I would give that POV more clout... wasn't until he was on the Galibier proper was it obvious he was not going to limit the loss so he could get on the descent

too late for hindsight...

I have thought over the situation he was in and I suspect he does regret not falling back earlier but its too easy to judge

for all he/we knew cadel had cracked and going back after he was first dropped at the same time as cadel wouldn't help him at all

think about it.

beating frank in the TT wouldn't matter from that group because cadel would come over the top. and he would have finished the tour in 4th

it was not until we knew they weren't getting away that it was obvious he had made a mistake...not until the col de telegraph and pineau dropped away did the "he has made a mistake" comments start appearing

I have cut him some slack over what happened there.... it wasn't totally dumb
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Voeckler is an attacking rider - when it doesn't work it looks naive but if you look at his palmares it isn't bad and when you look at how high profile he is he's obviously doing something right.

As for him being a GC rider - with proper preparation then he can be a top 10 rider, possibly another top 5. When you look at some who target the GC - Nicholas Roche springs to mind - then Voeckler would be justified in having a crack at it.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.