A new low for a bike shop??

1235»

Comments

• MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    schweiz wrote:
    Glass at room temperature is a super cooled liquid not a solid so over (much) time it will display fluid properties. Solids can also display fluid properties too. Sand poured into a container assumes the form of the container and the powder coating process involves blowing air through the powder so that it behaves even more like a fluid. Fluid is not a physical state. Solid, liquid and gas are.

But a grain of sand isn't a liquid, neither are hte substances that have been borken down to form sand. If you have a grain of sand the size of an apple, it wouldn't display fluid like properties. So the material than makes up sand isn't a fluid.

As for glas sbeing a super colled liquid, there is much debate on this subject. It was originally thought that old windows showed that glass was a fluid, as thay are often thicker at the base. As it happens, this is just because in the dim and distant past, they weren't very good at manufacturing sheet glass, and it was often non uniform in thickness. The glaziers would then install the glass with the thickest edge at the base, for obvious reasons.

If this has been mentioned further down the thresd, oops, I've not read that far yet. :lol:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • amun1000
    amun1000 Posts: 242
    As for glas sbeing a super colled liquid, there is much debate on this subject. It was originally thought that old windows showed that glass was a fluid, as thay are often thicker at the base. As it happens, this is just because in the dim and distant past, they weren't very good at manufacturing sheet glass, and it was often non uniform in thickness. The glaziers would then install the glass with the thickest edge at the base, for obvious reasons.

Thats why I got a B instead of A in my Physics A level
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. H.G. Wells
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    amun1000 wrote:

Is there any possibility of getting your police inspector friend to ask the lawyer to complain to wiggle?

-Spider-
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    amun1000 wrote:

And why I got a decent grade in English...

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    MattC59 wrote:

But a grain of sand isn't a liquid, neither are hte substances that have been borken down to form sand. If you have a grain of sand the size of an apple, it wouldn't display fluid like properties. So the material than makes up sand isn't a fluid.

If you had a grain of sand the size of an apple it would be a rock!!

Take it the other way....if you only have one water molecule, does that still exhibit fluid behaviour?

Okay, sand isn't strictly a fluid but it does share many characteristics with a non-newtonian fluid. Sand and powders can be poured and they form to shape of the vessel in which they are contained. In this sense a grain of sand can be analogous to a gas molecule. If you've ever seen a vat of powder coating powder when air is flowing through it it looks very similar to a boiling liquid.

But my point was that 'fluid' isn't a physical state, it is a behaviour. States of matter are solid, liquid, gas and plasma.
  • MattC59
    DIESELDOG wrote:
    amun1000 wrote:

And why I got a decent grade in English...

Love n hugs

DD
    I was tired, busy day at work :(
  • MattC59
    schweiz wrote:

Take it the other way....if you only have one water molecule, does that still exhibit fluid behaviour?

Okay, sand isn't strictly a fluid but it does share many characteristics with a non-newtonian fluid. Sand and powders can be poured and they form to shape of the vessel in which they are contained. In this sense a grain of sand can be analogous to a gas molecule. If you've ever seen a vat of powder coating powder when air is flowing through it it looks very similar to a boiling liquid.

But my point was that 'fluid' isn't a physical state, it is a behaviour. States of matter are solid, liquid, gas and plasma.

Yep, you're right, but a fliud is a description of state which encompases liquid or gas.

You could argue that a single molecule of water, in isolation, exists in all three states, solid, liquid and gas, as it's state is as a result of its relationship to other water molecules. As per the definition of a fluid, a single molecule can't exhibit fluid properties.

Sand and powders don't form the shape of the vessel without help. eg. if you pour 1L of cand into a the center of a 1L beaker, it will fill the beaker, but at the end, you'll end up with a slight peak in the center, rather than it being perfectly flush with the top, as 1L of water would. So a powder or granular substance could only exhibit fluid like properties with external influence.

Regarding the powder cating powder, with air blowing through it, the powder isn't acting as a fluid, the mix of air and powder is acting as a fluid. ie the fluid like behaviour is as a result of external influence.

You've got it the wrong way around with sand exhibiting some of the properties of a non-Newtonian fluid. It exhibits some of the properties of a newtonian fluid, as you eluded to later. A non-Newtonian fluid has a non linear relationship between shear rate and shear stress.

eg. if you take a container of water and hit the water, the water reacts in a linear fashion to the applied shear forces, and moves. If you take a container of corn flower / water mix, which forms a non-Newtonian fluid, and hit the surface, it does not react in a linear fashion to the applied shear force and 'stiffens' up. When the shear force is removed, it will begin to flow again.

I like physics :D

Anyway, back to the usual cake stop stuff:

click-slow-motion-boobs.gif
  • DIESELDOG
    ^^^Cheers Matt, nice to think of that when I toddle off to bed...

Love n hugs

DD
    :wink:

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Good lord. I can't believe I just scrolled through 7 pages of this thread. It has to be be one of the most surreal ones in Cake Stop*.

*this week
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    BEWARE!

MattC59 is trying to hypnotise you.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    Matt you are a legend, so many good pictures!
  • MattC59
    Matt you are a legend, so many good pictures!
    Taught by the legend that is Aggieboy !!
    :D
  • I love the technical discussion of what is and what is not a fluid based on the technical term "squirt". It would seem this falls into the "I have a solution, but it only works for spherical chickens in a vacuum" end of physics. Which just goes to prove why engineers are way cooler that scientists. You can absolutely get a squirt of air, this exact phrase is in my fluid mechanics text book.
    All hail the FSM and his noodly appendage!
  • If air is fluid, then a puff of air must be a description of a fluid's behaviour. So if puff applies to fluids, can we also have a puff of water?
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    MattC59 wrote:
    schweiz wrote:

Yep, you're right, but a fliud is a description of state which encompases liquid or gas.

You could argue that a single molecule of water, in isolation, exists in all three states, solid, liquid and gas, as it's state is as a result of its relationship to other water molecules. As per the definition of a fluid, a single molecule can't exhibit fluid properties.

Sand and powders don't form the shape of the vessel without help. eg. if you pour 1L of cand into a the center of a 1L beaker, it will fill the beaker, but at the end, you'll end up with a slight peak in the center, rather than it being perfectly flush with the top, as 1L of water would. So a powder or granular substance could only exhibit fluid like properties with external influence.

Regarding the powder cating powder, with air blowing through it, the powder isn't acting as a fluid, the mix of air and powder is acting as a fluid. ie the fluid like behaviour is as a result of external influence.

You've got it the wrong way around with sand exhibiting some of the properties of a non-Newtonian fluid. It exhibits some of the properties of a newtonian fluid, as you eluded to later. A non-Newtonian fluid has a non linear relationship between shear rate and shear stress.

eg. if you take a container of water and hit the water, the water reacts in a linear fashion to the applied shear forces, and moves. If you take a container of corn flower / water mix, which forms a non-Newtonian fluid, and hit the surface, it does not react in a linear fashion to the applied shear force and 'stiffens' up. When the shear force is removed, it will begin to flow again.

I like physics :D

Your new married life isn't going too well, is it??......

f0f5fb66.jpg
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • -spider-
    Pokerface wrote:
    Good lord. I can't believe I just scrolled through 7 pages of this thread. It has to be be one of the most surreal ones in Cake Stop*.

*this week

I think you should DO SOMETHING

-Spider-
  • DIESELDOG
    -spider- wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

*this week

Like this??

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12718893

Love n hugs

DD

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    DIESELDOG wrote:
    -spider- wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

*this week

Like this??

Love n hugs

DD

now that is LOW.

I blame it on wiggle.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • -spider-
    DIESELDOG wrote:
    -spider- wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

*this week

Like this??

Love n hugs

DD

That's the one.

-Spider-