Stage 17 spoiler

FJS
FJS Posts: 4,820
edited July 2011 in Pro race
Not a bad group away right from the off: Gerdeman, Thomas, Boasson Hagen, Di Gregorio, LLS, Costa, Casar, Hondo, Van Garderen, De Gendt

No Italians in there, considering we're riding into Italy :roll:

The intermediate sprint will be just after a category 3 climb - will be interesting

The descent (and climb) is supposedly at least as narrow as yesterday's

Comments

• andyjr
    andyjr Posts: 635
    :) Beat me to it
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Sky must be feeling pretty pleased with themselves to get both G and EBH in the break.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,795
    garmin chasing team GC
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    FJS wrote:

I always consider Hondo to be an Italian (I know he's actually German)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    FJS wrote:

Twitter: @RichN95
  • StageWinner
    StageWinner Posts: 202
    edited July 2011
    THor and Roche trying to bridge the gap and get into the break.

And.... they are reeled back in.
  • FJS
    RichN95 wrote:
    FJS wrote:

I thought that while typing; but still poor from the Italians. But then, going down the list, there are remarkably few Italians for this kind of stage in the peloton - Marcato (in break yesterday), Tiralongo, but the rest? Cunego and Basso won't be allowed, too hilly for Oss, Malori, Quinziato. The Giro seems to take its toll...
  • FJS
    According to Sporza today's final descent is way more technical/dangerous than yesterday's. A very narrow forrest road, steep, especially in the hairpins, very difficult to judge, and with some edges of the road affected by land slides. Makes it sound like that descent in the Tour de Suisse. They also mention Andy Schleck has been there three times on reconnaisance :)
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    FJS wrote:
    According to Sporza today's final descent is way more technical/dangerous than yesterday's. A very narrow forrest road, steep, especially in the hairpins, very difficult to judge, and with some edges of the road affected by land slides. Makes it sound like that descent in the Tour de Suisse. They also mention Andy Schleck has been there three times on reconnaisance :)
    And has already started complaining about it:
    I rode down this hill three times in training and I already found it too risky. It is fatally dangerous. It if rains, several riders will again end up in hospital
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/ju ... us-descent
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Is that what is known as "getting them in early"?

he went on to add "and i think i had a slow puncture, i couldn't brake properly, my indexing was all out"
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    edited July 2011
    The inner ring analysis (http://inrng.com/2011/07/the-spin-stage-17/) says that the top half of the descent is technical followed by a more sedate bottom half so I can see something similar to yesterday with Cadel gapping the favourites on the top half but being caught by a group working together before the finish. I don't see Andy being in this group though.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

Is Roche in a no man's land here?

Too high up on GC to be allowed away in a break, but not high enough to have had a good tour without a stage win.

Also are riders ever instructed to leave a break as the presence would prevent the break from suceeding?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • andyjr
    Break caught after 41km
  • disgruntledgoat

Too high up on GC to be allowed away in a break, but not high enough to have had a good tour without a stage win.

Also are riders ever instructed to leave a break as the presence would prevent the break from suceeding?

I remember Rumsas trying to improve his overall 3rd by slipping into a break on the Champs elysees a few years back.

Millar ssaid he tried four letter words in every language he knew to get rid of him...
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • stokepa31
    stokepa31 Posts: 560
    im thinking AS may have to take a few risks to keep up and could find himself on the floor.
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • FJS
    Yes. And when their presence clearly is the reason a break is about to be reeled back they often drop out - no need to make enemies. Like yesterday when Rojas was briefly in a large group break attempt, prompting full-out HTC chasing, you could see him dropping out of the break.
  • disgruntledgoat
    stokepa31 wrote:
    im thinking AS may have to take a few risks to keep up and could find himself on the floor.

I can only imagine the Mard that would accompany that.

@gietvangent
  • stokepa31
    stokepa31 Posts: 560
    ive just phoned in sick today so i can watch the tour. Told my boss i cant get to work as it might rain and part of my route is down hill. He was really understanding as he didnt think our customers would want me taking risks to fulfill their needs.

He did mention that some of my colleagues had turned up though and one of them is sat in my chair. dont know what to make of it.
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • FJS
    edited July 2011
    New break: EBH and Casar again + Mollema, Tjalingii, Chavanel, Bozic, Leukemans, Muravyev, Fofonov, and a couple more. They get a minute and a half immediately - break of the day
  • andyjr
    looks like that's today's break sorted.
  • davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    Where is that lazy Git Roy?
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134

I remember Rumsas trying to improve his overall 3rd by slipping into a break on the Champs elysees a few years back.

Millar ssaid he tried four letter words in every language he knew to get rid of him...

Should've just offered some free EPO for his wife...
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    stokepa31 wrote:
    ive just phoned in sick today so i can watch the tour. Told my boss i cant get to work as it might rain and part of my route is down hill. He was really understanding as he didnt think our customers would want me taking risks to fulfill their needs.

He did mention that some of my colleagues had turned up though and one of them is sat in my chair. dont know what to make of it.

:lol:
  • andyjr
    Good news for Cav as this break wil likely hoover up all of the int sprint points
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    stokepa31 wrote:

:lol:
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    this from twitter

@chucklebrothers

tried to phone (radio) in sick but no one listening so will likely stack it on last hill;bricking it even now
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • andyjr
    That top bit looked a bit rough, but the rest of it looks not too bad. hopefully they won't meet any scooters coming the opposite way. It's just narrow, & tree lined which might offer up variable light conditions making it worse
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,409
    Cav rolls over for final sprint point with Gilbert & Rojas in the pack.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Shleck may as well be holding up a big banner saying PLEASE ATTACK DOWNHILL, I'M BRICKING IT.