Boardman BB30 problems

Comments

• just started to experiance bb30 creak on my Focus Cayo - I was just going to get my Lbs to sort it -

Does anyone know how much I should expect to pay? for new bearings supplied and fitted?
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Frank pole wrote:
    just started to experiance bb30 creak on my Focus Cayo - I was just going to get my Lbs to sort it -

Does anyone know how much I should expect to pay? for new bearings supplied and fitted?

Which Cayo have you got? My 2009 started to creak but it was a Shimano BB and I just swapped it for an Ultegra unit - 20 min job max
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • WTF
    WTF Posts: 52
    Frank pole wrote:
    just started to experiance bb30 creak on my Focus Cayo - I was just going to get my Lbs to sort it -

My Cayo BB30 bearings gave up at 800 miles ,new ones are a tenner from CRC and my lbs charged me the grand sum of £7 :D to fit them.
    been OK since and was advised that ceramic bearings at £150 a set would be equally cack in as short a time.

HTH
  • The thing I really hate about these new press-fit bottom-bracket standards like BB30, PressFit30, BB86 and BB90 is that they are not easy for us the end user to service.

To remove those bearings you need a bearing puller tool, and to install those bearings you need a bike shop press. Casual riders do not typically own those special tools.

So when I bought my new titanium bike earlier this year, I made sure it had the tried-and-true 68mm BSA/English-threaded bottom bracket shell. So I can put in any external-cup bottom bracket system I want using just an external BB tool. And if the bearings go bad, I can replace the darn thing myself, without having to take the bike to the shop.
  • Simonhi
    Simonhi Posts: 229
    The thing I really hate about these new press-fit bottom-bracket standards like BB30, PressFit30, BB86 and BB90 is that they are not easy for us the end user to service.

To remove those bearings you need a bearing puller tool, and to install those bearings you need a bike shop press. Casual riders do not typically own those special tools.

So when I bought my new titanium bike earlier this year, I made sure it had the tried-and-true 68mm BSA/English-threaded bottom bracket shell. So I can put in any external-cup bottom bracket system I want using just an external BB tool. And if the bearings go bad, I can replace the darn thing myself, without having to take the bike to the shop.

i have BB30 on my MTB and this one ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgBG-E4wV_Q cost about a hundred quid from various different places.

Also have 68mm BSA/English-threaded bottom bracket shell on my road bike but BB30 is ok, just needs a bit more looking after.
  • Frank pole wrote:

Which Cayo have you got? My 2009 started to creak but it was a Shimano BB and I just swapped it for an Ultegra unit - 20 min job max

Its a 2011 Cayo 105 - Think ive sorted it! bearings were quite dry so re greased with moly 60 creak-free at the moment! :wink:
  • It seems like the BB30 bearings are the problem, it's just a shame they are fitted to my Boardman Team C :(
    Other than the bearings it is an awesome bike.

Has anyone with this bike cycled further than 500 miles ? If so what is it you did to your bearings to make them last ?
    I am on my third set of bearings and I am not hopeful they will last very long.

Peter
  • The bearings went on my Cannondale Synapse Tiagra after about 50 miles. The cost to replace unit from my LBS was around £75 (£40 for parts) but I sent it back to the supplier and they replaced it for free.

I thought it was an rogue fluke but maybe not although Halfords do seem to have the lion share of issues - in this thread at least.
  • It seems like the BB30 bearings are the problem, it's just a shame they are fitted to my Boardman Team C :(
    Other than the bearings it is an awesome bike.

Has anyone with this bike cycled further than 500 miles ? If so what is it you did to your bearings to make them last ?
    I am on my third set of bearings and I am not hopeful they will last very long.

Peter

1 year old - 5500 miles - no problems.

Great bike as you say.
    Boardman Team Carbon SRAM Red 2010
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Alu Veloce 2011
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    im not sure weather enduro make bb30 kits but they usually get good write ups on the quality side. they have their own custom sizes with bigger balls and higher load ratings. ifrom what ive read its a general bb30 problem and nothing to do with the boardman brand. my gxp get criticised a lot but ive had no trouble in a couple thousand miles.
    http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id232.html
  • Baz8755
    Baz8755 Posts: 9
    Count me in on the BB30 Boardman issues list :x

I bought my Boardman Hybrid Pro in March and have only used in the dry (using my trusty GT in the wet) and as such it has only done 400 miles.

A few weeks a noticed an occasional knocking noise when pushing hard and after a while decided to call Halfords. The gentleman at Halfords immediately informed me it was a known issue and to bring it in for a re-grease. Last week they regreased the bottom bracket and it has made the problem worse as it now continally clicks with even the lightest of excertion. Yesterday they had the bike again and replaced the bearing but this made no difference and they said next week they will replace the chainset and if that does not work then they will replace the whole bike.

The thing is that given the amount of discussion surrounding the BB30 I am not sure that it will just mean I will be in the same situation in another 500 miles. I spent a lot of time deciding which bike to get so I don't really want to buy a different bike either, someone has suggested changing for another brand of BB but I am not sure if that is possible as well as voiding the warranty.

So I am really asking for guidance as to what my options are and what to say to Halfords as all I really want is the bike I chose and for the BB to last a sensible distance without issues.

Regards

Baz
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    I know how you're feeling. If you want to continue with your Boardman, and you don't mind paying for peace of mind, take the bike to an independent cycle shop and ask them to change the bottom bracket. Not for a BB30 but for a conventional bottom bracket with bearings on the exterior. The shop will fit a sleeve inside the BB shell which will allow a greater tolerance around the unit itself. You will need a new chainset to suit the wider BB. The cost can be about £100 plus labour - but more depending on the level of componentry. Cannondale and FSA have a lot to answer for in bringing BB30 to market.
    I would appreciate anyone else's thoughts on the matter - especially a cheaper solution.
  • mcp73
    mcp73 Posts: 94
    I run a KCNC adapter in my Planet X bike's BB30. It means I can run my old Shimano chainset. I've had no problems with this set up thus far. Here's the adapter:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/KCNC-BB30-Adapt ... B0053YNWJY
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Woodywmb wrote:
    Cannondale and FSA have a lot to answer for in bringing BB30 to market.
    I would appreciate anyone else's thoughts on the matter - especially a cheaper solution.

Why is this Cannondale and FSA's problem :?:
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I've yet to have a problem with the BB30 on my Focus but i do take the crank off, clean and grease the lot every other month because i tend to use that bike in wet weather.
    Generally I've used Shimano Hollowtech II for years and i've never had an issue or failure with one and they're a doddle to swap. Then again i've got an FSA megaexo BB on a bike and that's fine after thousands of miles, yet i read about folk having issues with those all of the time. Luck?
  • woodywmb
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Woodywmb wrote:

The development of BB30 was done in collaboration between the two.
    http://www.cannondale.com/gbr/bb30
    http://www.fullspeedahead.com/technology/1/BB30
  • ShutUpLegs
    Woodywmb wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Woodywmb wrote:

The development of BB30 was done in collaboration between the two.
    http://www.cannondale.com/gbr/bb30
    http://www.fullspeedahead.com/technology/1/BB30

And just how long have Boardman been making bicycles :?:
  • Wouldn`t a a Sram pressfit BB30 system sort the boardmans problems out quite easily?
  • woodywmb
    No. It's exactly the same as FSA's. You need an adaptor to fit a screw-in or externally tightened BB. The problem is the shell is never machined with 100 per cent precision.
  • I`m seriously considering buying a Boardman team as a training bike.This BB30 problem is putting me off.
    Why hasn`t boardman pulled these bikes if it a machining fault??.
  • woodywmb
    Don't buy it. Look at the others on the £1,000 list which don't have BB30. The Giant Defy 1 is a great machine. Sadly so is the Boardman Road Team - but why take the chance? Halfords are persevering because it is such a major brand (all model variations) for them. Bike sales struggled when they didn't have such a niche range. Call at their BikeHut shops and you'll find that staff are speaking openly about the problem. You wouldn't dream of buying a £200 washing machine in the knowledge that there is a good chance of it making a grinding noise and packing in- let alone paying five times that for a bike that is likely to be just as defective.
  • So the Cannondale synapse is no good then as that has BB30. MY head is totally wrecked now.
    Would a proper bike shop be able to sort the Boardmans BB30 problems when they arise?
    Their is also the option of those bottom bracket sleeves which change to the standard system.
    This would leave the bike squeak free?
    You see the Boardman is mega cheap at the moment and could be converted with an ultegra chainset and still be cheaper than the defy 1.
    What do you think?
    Thanks.
  • Team4Luke
    Team4Luke Posts: 597
    I'm well behind on all these new BB's. All my bikes have Hollotech II which as we know have external bearings that sit on the outside and the shell part screws into the BB shell threads.
    So, is BB30 and BB86 press fit, am I right in saying then a BB shell for these does not have any threads, how can a press bit bearing possibly remain stable, surely it will turn even if a nano micro of a milmetre, it must creak !
    If a frame has a BB30 press fit shell, then what do you use if you want to say use external bearings like Hollotech II ?
    Team4Luke supports Cardiac Risk in the Young
  • ShutUpLegs
    Woodywmb wrote:
    Is this a quiz?

You said Cannondale & FSA have a lot to answer for, yet then say 'The problem is the shell is never machined with 100 per cent precision' in relation to the Boardman and not to buy one :?:
  • I bought my Boardman Team Carbon in late October 2011 and was informed at the time that the BB30 problems were due to a batch of bottom brackets that had been delivered to Boardmans assembly factory, un greased.

I think that's an important point. Boardman themselves probably don't make these BB's but just purchase them. Therefore this problem could potentially have happened to any cycle manufacturer that utilises the BB30.

I was also informed that this was a past tense problem and they'd stopped using that supplier of bottom brackets around a month prior and therefore any further problems would just be down to stock of the un greased BBs.

I must say "touch wood" I've not had a single creak from mine after around 300 miles on it.
  • griffsters
    griffsters Posts: 490
    So the Cannondale synapse is no good then as that has BB30. MY head is totally wrecked now.

Thanks.

I've had zero issues with the BB30 on my Synapse. Funnily enough I did have issues with the BB on my previous Cube attempt.. I suppose faults can happen on them all. I certainly wouldnt wite off a bike because it has BB30...
  • I have finally given up ,I purchased my first team carbon 8 weeks ago it was replaced with a BB30 issue that Halfords could not resolve. The replacement lasted for 2 weeks and developed the same problem they again could not resolve so I have had a refund and I have purchased a Cube Agree. the level of service was shocking emailafter email and numerous phone calls dealing with a company who simple dont understand the product. I would suggest you stay away from this bike until the issues are sorted. To quote the store assistant "you arent the first and wont be the last to have these problems" be warned
  • woodywmb
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Woodywmb wrote:
    Is this a quiz?

You said Cannondale & FSA have a lot to answer for, yet then say 'The problem is the shell is never machined with 100 per cent precision' in relation to the Boardman and not to buy one :?:

My point is that we were managing fine with Hollowtech among others without Cannondale's and FSA's "ground-breaking" contribution to light, stiff BBs.

Also, in relation to other posts - I experienced BB problems long before I noticed this discussion (replicated on all manner of forums) and before I had a chance to speak to Halfords staff. I handed the bike in at my local bike shop who replaced the bearings with the Sram version. The mechanic told me to "try that" but bring the bike back if it starts grinding again and he would fit an adaptor.
    I emailed Halfords and sent them copies of the bill. They agreed to pay for the replacement BB and the labour.
    They never acknowledged, in writing, that there was a problem, although shop staff have. The bike is playing up again... hence the reason for my efforts on this forum.
    Yes, the Boardman Road Team is a cracker of a bike but why pay £1,000 when you can pick up something similar without the risk of BB failure? S'up to you!
  • woodywmb
    [quote="Team4Luke ... what do you use if you want to say use external bearings like Hollotech II ?[/quote]

You use an adapter to convert the opening. It fits the BB30 hole and leaves a snug opening for the Hollowtech axle. When torqued up there is no movement to cause squeaks and creaking. The axle will run true within the bearings and thus avoid wear. Otherwise the bearings are held by the frame which might not be machined perfectly and will result in the bearings becoming pitted - and grinding.