TDF Stage 8 *Spoilers*

Comments

• timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Proper moustaches on the podium there
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    The footage of Contador's attempt to get on Cadel's wheel at the end showed a very lopsided riding style. His left shoulder was dipping really strangely with each pedal stroke. He didn't look comfy on the bike... has he got some kind of injury?

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • peterst6906
    peterst6906 Posts: 530
    iainf72 wrote:
    Nice ride by Costa

Contador doesn't look great.

Schleck doesn't look that great either. Whereas Evans...
    It's still early in the race.

I hope Cadel takes it this year, but there's still a long way to go and not too much showing of hands yet amongst the GC contenders.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    At the risk of sounding like Frenchfighter, watching Gilbert tear it up on a finishing climb is a thing of beauty.

Awesome rider.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I really enjoyed the last 25k of that stage, good win from Rui Costa. Evans looks strong and Contador looks lacklustre but too early to form any real opinions on their respective GC chances.

Bloody impressive ride from Hushovd, that was a steep old ramp at the end there. Gilbert is putting himself in a very strong position to win the green jersey in my opinion. He's obviously serious about it now and should be able to pick up quite a few points over Cav on the hillier stages and on the intermediates.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    We've not learnt too much. A first week where many of the second tier have dropped back or out.

I feel Andy can ride into form, but you get the impression Bertie is coming down from his Giro peak. Evans looking strong. Very little from Basso.

Current Odds (betfair):
    Cont 6/4
    ASch 15/8
    Evns 5
    FSch 40
    Klod 50
    Bass 70
    VdB 90
    exercise.png
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Getty
    1952e2a63fcb33d2ce2b10e4b127f12c-getty-_.jpg
    abd111df841f8a8dbc5eb6e86ee31852-getty-_.jpg
    3f652533518651bf47113ceca27ce910-getty-_.jpg
    b982d9dc184f7577fc78dce102f558ba-getty-_.jpg

Hushovd earning his stripes for the first time this year.

Gilbert's Vuelta10 stage 3 big ring win is still one of the best:
    http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/tele ... ro/863367/
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Gesink.

Needs to learn to stay upright.

His poor performance today started two days ago.
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    it`s a shame about brad , as most of his close rivals for the top ten places are not performing. could have been looking at 4th again. maybe higher the way contador and shleck are riding. evans looks the best of the bunch at the moment.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Gesink.

Needs to learn to stay upright.

His poor performance today started two days ago.

I suspect tomorrow will be his last day on the Tour.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Thomas back to 3rd in White Jersy - but Uran looking good for that now.

Strava is not Zen.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    calvjones wrote:

Yes, especially if Gesink packs as looks likely. Rein Taaramae also in with a chance as he already has a couple of minutes on Uran.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • ermintrude
    ermintrude Posts: 514
    Ratsbeyfus - I noticed Contadors very odd pedalling as well, looked like he was making much more effort with one leg than the other
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    calvjones wrote:

Yes, especially if Gesink packs as looks likely. Rein Taaramae also in with a chance as he already has a couple of minutes on Uran.

Thought Rein was behind Thomas int that 'classement'?

Strava is not Zen.
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    This is what it looks like when your bury yourself for yellow on terrain that isnt yours:

http://www.grassyknolltv.com/2011/tour- ... R2OO43.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    ermintrude wrote:
    Ratsbeyfus - I noticed Contadors very odd pedalling as well, looked like he was making much more effort with one leg than the other

Yep - it looked like he was riding with a bad shoulder or something wrong with him when he went into th red. Maybe that's just what he looks like when he's knackered - I've never seen it before.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    OzCycling are the future for this sport! They actually make an effort to personalise the riders in a good way, they don't seem to piss people off but they also cover what has happened in the race

This habit of US and particularly European netwoks of making riders seem like super human deity's just puts people off watching the sport! When P & P go I reckon the powers that be should get an Oz cycling pair in to replace them!

[/love fest]
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    ermintrude wrote:

Yep - it looked like he was riding with a bad shoulder or something wrong with him when he went into th red. Maybe that's just what he looks like when he's knackered - I've never seen it before.

The difference between AC and the equivalent stage last year (the one with another Vino attack when AC and his super-dom put a min or so into Schleck, I can't remember the name) and today was startling, Then he just blew everyone away, today he cold nt even blow a sprinter away (no offence to Thor but you know...
    - @ddraver
  • thomasmc
    thomasmc Posts: 814
    Doobz wrote:

Good material there for the skoda marketing dept for their tdf 2012 campaign
  • Steve2020
    Steve2020 Posts: 133
    Thor is going to take the jersey all the way to Paris.

Contador looks ropey. Maybe he was a good responder and the blood passport has hurt him more than most.
  • frenchfighter
    ddraver wrote:
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    ermintrude wrote:

The difference between AC and the equivalent stage last year (the one with another Vino attack when AC and his super-dom put a min or so into Schleck, I can't remember the name) and today was startling, Then he just blew everyone away, today he cold nt even blow a sprinter away (no offence to Thor but you know...

If you are refering to Mende (below) then the two profiles are completely different. This finish was certainly nowhere near as challenging.

PROFILKMS.gif
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    Steve2020 wrote:
    Contador looks ropey. Maybe he was a good responder and the blood passport has hurt him more than most.

He's managed to win most races he's entered since the passport came along. If he is ropey it is because he's had crash and done a hard Giro.
  • airwise
    airwise Posts: 248
    It was so edifying to see one guy recently returned from a ban being chased by another, with an attack in the closing KM by one waiting to serve his. Wow this sport has seriously cleaned up it's act.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    airwise wrote:
    It was so edifying to see one guy recently returned from a ban being chased by another, with an attack in the closing KM by one waiting to serve his. Wow this sport has seriously cleaned up it's act.

You don't have to watch the Tour if that bothers you.

Try watching the German coverage. Their chat is like yours.
  • RichN95.
    airwise wrote:

Rui Costa, though, actually proved that his positive was accidental - due to contaminated supplements. Unlucky - certainly; Careless - possibly; but a cheat? - not to me he's not.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    RichN95 wrote:
    airwise wrote:

Rui Costa, though, actually proved that his positive was accidental - due to contaminated supplements. Unlucky - certainly; Careless - possibly; but a cheat? - not to me he's not.

Yup, and that he was man enough to take his lumps and not drag it through the courts for months, to me, speaks to a man with respect for the rules.

Mighty glad Vino got Nowt out of burying himself, though.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • ddraver
    ddraver wrote:
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    ermintrude wrote:

If you are refering to Mende (below) then the two profiles are completely different. This finish was certainly nowhere near as challenging.

PROFILKMS.gif

I know you re never going to admit AC might be weak FF but he would have dicked all over everyone else yesterday last year....Ok he might not have put a minute in but he'd certainly gapped the peloton!
    - @ddraver