TDF Stage 8 *Spoilers*

RichN95.
RichN95. Posts: 27,241
edited July 2011 in Pro race
They're under way and a nine man break has 1.15

Christophe Riblon (AG2R), Rui Costa (Movistar), Xabier Zandio (Sky), Addy Engels (Quick Step), Tejay Van Garderen (HTC-Highroad), Romain Zingle (Cofidis), Cyril Gautier (Europcar), Alexandr Kolobnev (Katusha) and Julien El Farès (Cofidis).

Profile:

tdf2011_8sp_600.jpg
Twitter: @RichN95

Comments

• graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Nice to see Sky have been true to their word and got a man in the break. Probably come to nothing, but nice to see them having a go.
  • jp1985
    jp1985 Posts: 434
    That seems like a pretty strong break away group. I wouldn't be surprised to see it stick to the end
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Nice to see Sky have been true to their word and got a man in the break. Probably come to nothing, but nice to see them having a go.

I think their best chance of the victory will be Uran with an attack at the end. So they're giving themselves two chances to win.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I'd think someone like EBH would be a good shout for a win on a stage like this. If he gets to the finish in a group he'd win a sprint. And it's not high high mountains.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I went for Evans as im sure he'll be in the selection but think that EBH or Gilbert will be the best bets for the win so long as none of the favourites really decide to light things up.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    iainf72 wrote:
    I'd think someone like EBH would be a good shout for a win on a stage like this. If he gets to the finish in a group he'd win a sprint. And it's not high high mountains.

Yeh, but I'm not sure how the teams of the GC contenders are thinking of playing it this afternoon. If they really put the pressure on over the category 2 climb and then at the start of the final climb then I think EBH will struggle to stay on.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Intermediate Sprint:

10th: Gilbert
    11th: Rojas
    12th: Ventoso
    13th: Cavendish

(It was uphill)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • inkyfingers
    Interesting that HTC did a proper lead out for Cav but he don't really seem to contest it, just limited his losses.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Sean Kelly heavily criticizing Sky's all stop and wait for Bradley, routine, effecting Thomas's and EBH's GC situation.
    Have to say, if they could have stayed up in the front group, they could have always dropped back and picked up the chase, were he to remount.

Oh and Mr Riis's car has been rear ended by those dastardly French.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Sean Kelly heavily criticizing Sky's all stop and wait for Bradley, routine, effecting Thomas's and EBH's GC situation.
    Have to say, if they could have stayed up in the front group, they could have always dropped back and picked up the chase, were he to remount.

I thought that I admit, Another beginner mistake perhaps (although in fairness with the very best intentions!)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • inkyfingers

Easy to say in hindsight. If Brad had been able to continue after a coupl of minutes then having a strong team to pace him back to the group could have saved his tour. Thomas and Boassen Hagen are not serious GC contenders, it was nice for GT to have the white jersey but as he has just said in the interview on Eurosport he would never have kept it. Their only other remote GC hope (Uran) went down in the crash as well so other than the chance of winning the stage yesterday I don't think they lost much. Having their some senior riders lose time on GC will increase their chances of getting into breaks so all is not lost.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    edited July 2011
    Sky had Uran and Wiggins down didnt they? they were the only 2 who could come close to the GC. Made sense for the whole team to stop.

they have no GC ambitions now which should be interesting. Will be nice to see Sky turn into a team full of Hoogerland's :P
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    2008, Super Besse: Ricco, Valverde, Evans, Schleck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1COGu8HEvY
    Contador is the Greatest
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    What are BMC doing?
  • frenchfighter
    tumblr_lo0oqflgdC1qa3ggpo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_lo0oj2YKCj1qa3ggpo1_500.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    morstar wrote:
    What are BMC doing?

Cadel clearly wants an early yellow jersey, having had his team do all the work for 60 odd kms.
    Finally, Vinoastana lend a hand.
    Personally, I think BMC, while clearly far stronger than they have been all season, are not the smartest tools in the box.
    Grafting for the reward of having to pull the peloton for a whole week, before finally, a proper mountain arrives.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Cadel is playing a dangerous game if he wants the jersey this early. Even if he has the legs, does he have the head to deal with the accompanying circus for two whole weeks?
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    edited July 2011
    So the alternative is to just allow it to pootle along so contador can reach the final climb nice and fresh? Cadel must be planning/hoping to reach the mountains with as big a gap over Contador as possible, not allow him to grab back the deficit in chunks of 20 or 30 seconds. So I don't think he has too much choice but to get the team moving it along, especially if no-one else is doing it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    afx237vi wrote:
    Cadel is playing a dangerous game if he wants the jersey this early. Even if he has the legs, does he have the head to deal with the accompanying circus for two whole weeks?

I think BMC want a bit of a hedge.

Win a stage or two, have the yellow for a bit without that much cost is better than doing a Evans and coming 2nd everywhere.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    His held yellow before,and has Hincapie with him so being able to handle it for 2 weeks I don't think is a problem (so long as he doesn't break any bones then people will have to learn to not tough him :P).

Think it'll be a good move for Evans to get yellow now.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Don't get me wrong, no harm in Evans getting yellow. Thought it would have been ok to get it earlier in the race on one of the uphill finishes. They could have selectively protected it.
    Can't understand why they're flogging the team to try and get it though.
  • afx237vi
    Crikey... JJ Rojas climbing next to Evans and Gesink. That's an ominous sign for Cav.
  • afx237vi
    Big attack by Vino. Tiralongo up the road...
  • frenchfighter
    Rojas stayed on Contadors wheel (the only rider) up the final climb in the Spanish RR. The boy can climb.

Nice work by Hoogerland here
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    It's now or never again for Vino.
  • frenchfighter
    Bike racing is definitely better for having Vino. Class act.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rwsbike971
    rwsbike971 Posts: 40
    Flecha and Hoogerland chasing leaders.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Where's Thor? I can't spot the jersey in the main group
  • frenchfighter
    Vino 32 secs down on GC
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Shock Horror Andy Schleck has a nosebleed at the front of the bunch - were is his bumboy brother