Please help trace this thug.

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    First watched this on friday on my phone, now having seen it on a PC monitor I can see clearly now that the driver is a tw@t, regardless of what provoked him the way he reacted was OTT.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    Hope he's sweating, wherever he's hiding :)

Kinda hope this ends up in police action - it'll be a test case for everyone immediately getting a headcam.
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Liked the licence the bikes comments... maybe if a cyclist runs a red, mows down a granny then d'locks the shit out of the car in the vid... the popo come a visiting and the reply is a simple. "I left it unlocked for a bit but by real luck it turned up again".

rather making a mockery of the whole process
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Pork Sword wrote:
    I'm sorry, but I'd've flattened that ugly Chav if he'd came anywhere near me... it's not easy to have a 'dust-up' in cycling shoes but even so... the cyclist in the video just stood there and let himself be attacked. The comments section on these type of cycling related incidents always gives me a giggle. Don't let these thugs frighten us off our roads! :wink:

It is a bit hard to do an Ali style shuffle while straddling a road bike :roll:
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Gazzaputt wrote:

Hmmm. "Someone 'may' have slapped the side of the car".

I've hit enough cars in my time to know people get really arsey when you touch their metal box. You never know how people will react and this bloke is obviously a complete nutter. Safer to keep your hands to yourself IMO.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Kurako wrote:
    Gazzaputt wrote:

Hmmm. "Someone 'may' have slapped the side of the car".

I've hit enough cars in my time to know people get really arsey when you touch their metal box. You never know how people will react and this bloke is obviously a complete nutter. Safer to keep your hands to yourself IMO.

If one of them had been clipped by the mirror this boundary was already down?
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Kurako wrote:
    I've hit enough cars in my time to know people get really arsey when you touch their metal box.

I pretty much stamped on the front wing of someone's car the other day, he'd forced me into the kerb and there was a stationary car ahead of us, he was practically brushing the back of my bike so I couldn't hit the brakes or he'd have squashed the bike, and then me. I shouted a few times, used a (polite!) hand gesture to suggest he moved out/back off. He didn't. In the end it took an enthusiastic cleated foot to get him to back off.

Then we stopped for a chat and he said
    I don't care about the you kicking the car, it's an piece of junk anyway
    :lol:

It boiled down to "You shouldn't have been so far* out into the road" vs "You shouldn't have been overtaking when there was no room and stationary traffic in front". We ended up agreeing to disagree, shaking hands and carrying on our journeys. He passed me 5 minutes later nice and wide. I gave him a thumbs up. Strange encounter!

*He said "three or four feet out from the kerb" was too far. I was taking primary because there was a learner car practically stopping to turn left. I was 2 metres off the back of the car, it was almost at the back of a queue of traffic anyway, there was traffic coming the other way so he couldn't move out to the right to overtake me, even if he had overtaken me he'd have had to stop straight away anyway. He was also annoyed that I'd overtaken him while he was sitting in a queue of traffic. He said I was only allowed to undertake. I told him to leave more room for cyclists and to go home and read the highway code. :roll:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • kurako
    bails87 wrote:

That's the flip side of the coin I suppose. My car is a piece of crap and I'm forever climbing all over it to get to the back of the garage or swap bikes.

What bothers me about this is the lack of context. I didn't see any mention of the car being hit by a cyclist until the bbc article. What else could they be hiding by not showing the whole thing. It all seems a bit fishy to me.
  • bails87
    Kurako wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

That's the flip side of the coin I suppose. My car is a piece of crap and I'm forever climbing all over it to get to the back of the garage or swap bikes.

What bothers me about this is the lack of context. I didn't see any mention of the car being hit by a cyclist until the bbc article. What else could they be hiding by not showing the whole thing. It all seems a bit fishy to me.

I'm sure he's only the same as about 0.1% of drivers. I'd be peeved if someone did that to my car, although I'd like to think I'd never do anything as stupid as him.

True, but the car squeezed cyclists A and B, cyclist A or B slapped the side of the car. Driver stops to remonstrate, then gets back in and drives away, He hits cyclist C with his wing mirror and he drives off. then stops again, gets out and punches cyclist C.

It would be the same as the cyclist who got hit dragging a passing taxi driver out of his car and punching him.

Also, it was a slap. To a car. It will have done no damage. The initial overtake, and the punch could both have killed/seriously injured someone.

Did the forum post by the cyclist involved mention touching the car? Or is it just a detail that the newspapers have left out?
    MTB/CX

• mapleflot
    mapleflot Posts: 81
    bails87 wrote:
    *He said "three or four feet out from the kerb" was too far. I was taking primary because there was a learner car practically stopping to turn left. I was 2 metres off the back of the car, it was almost at the back of a queue of traffic anyway, there was traffic coming the other way so he couldn't move out to the right to overtake me, even if he had overtaken me he'd have had to stop straight away anyway. He was also annoyed that I'd overtaken him while he was sitting in a queue of traffic. He said I was only allowed to undertake. I told him to leave more room for cyclists and to go home and read the highway code. :roll:

I think the whole primary positioning thing needs to have a major ad campaign of its own. Too many drivers and cyclists alike, have no concept of its importance when used or why its used.
  • Pork Sword
    Pork Sword Posts: 213
    Sewinman wrote:
    Pork Sword wrote:
    I'm sorry, but I'd've flattened that ugly Chav if he'd came anywhere near me... it's not easy to have a 'dust-up' in cycling shoes but even so... the cyclist in the video just stood there and let himself be attacked. The comments section on these type of cycling related incidents always gives me a giggle. Don't let these thugs frighten us off our roads! :wink:

It is a bit hard to do an Ali style shuffle while straddling a road bike :roll:

Even someone of my limited intellect could see that plod was going to come over and 'have a go' ...he had plenty of time to get ready to defend himself. :?
    let all your saddles be comfy and all your rides less bumpy....
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    bails87 wrote:
    Kurako wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

I'm sure he's only the same as about 0.1% of drivers. I'd be peeved if someone did that to my car, although I'd like to think I'd never do anything as stupid as him.

True, but the car squeezed cyclists A and B, cyclist A or B slapped the side of the car. Driver stops to remonstrate, then gets back in and drives away, He hits cyclist C with his wing mirror and he drives off. then stops again, gets out and punches cyclist C.

It would be the same as the cyclist who got hit dragging a passing taxi driver out of his car and punching him.

Also, it was a slap. To a car. It will have done no damage. The initial overtake, and the punch could both have killed/seriously injured someone.

Did the forum post by the cyclist involved mention touching the car? Or is it just a detail that the newspapers have left out?

It wasn't even the dirvers car, he'd stolen it, felt guilty and returned it to the owner. Shame all car thieves aren't so considerate.
  • kurako
    bails87 wrote:
    Kurako wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

All the vid shows is a guy getting out of a car and lamping some poor sod. Obviously hitting someone is unjustified. However, we don't know what provocation there was or what happened leading up to the incident. The best way to avoid getting punched (or worse) by some crazy nut-job is (hard as it may be) to ignore it and let them get on their way. Its tempting to try to 'educate' but it won't always end well.
  • Kurako wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    Kurako wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

All the vid shows is a guy getting out of a car and lamping some poor sod. Obviously hitting someone is unjustified. However, we don't know what provocation there was or what happened leading up to the incident. l.

Yes we do, read the link.
  • kurako
    You mean this one?

http://road.cc/content/forum/37729-road-rage
    We remonstrated with the driver, shouting etc.

So at what point was the slapping of the car that was mentioned on the bbc? Is there a fuller version of the vid anywhere (or perhaps a less selective account)?

I sympathise with the dude who got punched. No one likes being punched in the head. My point is that you don't know how random strangers will react to shouting, car slapping, etc. The zen approach is always the best way of keeping out of trouble.
  • bails87
    I've just thought (no, really!), context or not, the police are trying to trace the driver.

We're not the jury, we don't need context or a back story, we just need a photo/video of the driver and a "He was involved in an alleged assault, who is he?" type message. Which is what we've got.
    MTB/CX

• bails87
    Kurako wrote:
    The zen approach is always the best way of keeping out of trouble.

The guy who got punched did F all. Well, he was hit by the car's wing mirror, but that was it. He was 'zen'. And he got punched. Stop blaming him for being assaulted by some knuckle-dragging mouth-breather.
    MTB/CX

• kurako
    bails87 wrote:
    Kurako wrote:
    The zen approach is always the best way of keeping out of trouble.

The guy who got punched did F all. Well, he was hit by the car's wing mirror, but that was it. He was 'zen'. And he got punched. Stop blaming him for being assaulted by some knuckle-dragging mouth-breather.

I'm not defending anyone. I'm just saying for the benefit of those who think shouting at drivers and slapping cars is a good idea that this is the sort of thing that can happen. Everyone is in agreement that the driver was a thug but even the biggest nutter is unlikely to jump out of their car and hit someone for no reason. All I'm saying is it's best to avoid provocation if at all possible.
  • MattJ88
    MattJ88 Posts: 41
    Kurako wrote:
    So at what point was the slapping of the car that was mentioned on the bbc? Is there a fuller version of the vid anywhere (or perhaps a less selective account)?

From the victim of the punch..

"So they got back in the car and drove off with wheels spinning and clipped my right hand with a wing mirror. Being on a spring, it made a loud noise, and they stopped again, but this time the driver came over and punched me to the ground."

Somewhere along the line the BBC must have reported this as the driver slapping the car
  • kurako
    MattJ88 wrote:
    Kurako wrote:

"So they got back in the car and drove off with wheels spinning and clipped my right hand with a wing mirror. Being on a spring, it made a loud noise, and they stopped again, but this time the driver came over and punched me to the ground."

Somewhere along the line the BBC must have reported this as the driver slapping the car

No. The bloke who got hit was on the BBC said that the car 'may' have been slapped. Watch the report. Around the 50 sec mark.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14125396
  • bails87
    Kurako wrote:
    MattJ88 wrote:
    Kurako wrote:

No. The bloke who got hit was on the BBC said that the car 'may' have been slapped. Watch the report. Around the 50 sec mark.

But not by him.

Also, so what?! Someone slaps your car when you nearly kill them, so you're alllowed to jump out and batter them?

No, it's not advisable to slap anyone/anything, but if it's a case of get run over or tap the side of a car, I'd rather tap the side of a car and risk dealing with mongo from the video than go under the wheels.
    MTB/CX

• kurako
    bails87 wrote:
    Kurako wrote:
    MattJ88 wrote:
    Kurako wrote:

But not by him.

Also, so what?! Someone slaps your car when you nearly kill them, so you're alllowed to jump out and batter them?

No, it's not advisable to slap anyone/anything, but if it's a case of get run over or tap the side of a car, I'd rather tap the side of a car and risk dealing with mongo from the video than go under the wheels.

We seem to be going round in circles here. Once again, I'm not trying to justify his behaviour. I'm saying if you shout at drivers and slap their cars you have no way of knowing what their reaction will be. I'd rather not find out.
  • Kurako wrote:
    We seem to be going round in circles here. Once again, I'm not trying to justify his behaviour. I'm saying if you shout at drivers and slap their cars you have no way of knowing what their reaction will be. I'd rather not find out.
    I see your point, and I personally try to avoid confrontation (I tend to flip and lose it, so prefer not to get riled as no doubt I'd come off worse anyhow). However, I was thinking ...

Perhaps we have no idea how people will react because such people learn no self control. Perhaps this is because they have not needed to, because people back down from them all the time. Perhaps if more such people were reported and then appropriate action taken, there would be less chance of such an unpredictable reaction?

A long chain of 'perhaps' there, which makes it a weak argument - but not completely unlikely?

Anyhow, as Bails said, the issue here is not to be judge and jury on why he tried to thump the rider. The issue is to identify him so that appropriate authorities can make a decision based on all of the facts (which we don't have).

Presumably, they will include TWOC in the list of charges?
  • king_jeffers
    king_jeffers Posts: 694
    Pork Sword wrote:
    Even someone of my limited intellect could see that plod was going to come over and 'have a go' ...he had plenty of time to get ready to defend himself. :?

Its easy to say that sitting at your PC. You don't really expect that, plus the guy would have to get off his bike, square up and probably get a pounding.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Textile Workers Organizing Committee?
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622

Trial without catheter?
  • bails87
    Aguila wrote:

Trial without catheter?

Trial with obsidian catheter?
    tumblr_l11pzvluxL1qzfsdg.jpg
    You might feel a slight pinch.
    MTB/CX

• tiny_pens
    tiny_pens Posts: 293
    What type of person steals a car and gets upset because someone touches it? Its not as if its their car is it?
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Maybe after it was 'violated' by touching the cyclist he didn't want it any more which is why he returned it? He was angry because the allure of the car was removed?
    FCN 9 || FCN 5