Odd feeling of weakness.

2»

Comments

• Galfinnan
    Galfinnan Posts: 49
    Just from personal experience, one or two things I'm thinking it could be. I'm thinking the blood tests have been for hypo-thyroidism? Check this is the case, if not get it checked. thyroid disfunction can come and go so could explain this. I also got recently diagnosed with sleep apnoea a condition where I stop breathing during the night. This leaves me feeling really tired a lot of the time as it affects my ability to get a decent sleep, sometimes I do and I feel great, sometimes I don't and I feel so poor. Thing is I don't even know it's happening. I had to get sleep monitoring done etc to find out. Might be worth looking into. Good Luck with it.
    False facts are highly injurious to the progress of science, for they often endure long; but false views, if supported by some evidence, do little harm, for every one takes a salutary pleasure in proving their falseness.

Darwin
  • Murr X
    Murr X Posts: 258
    freehub wrote:
    So why have I not had this feeling all of last year and the year before? 140 miles on flat at an easy pace is bugger all, a 25 mile tt would probably take more out of me.

I used to do 100+ week in, week out, did I get ill? No.

How many 100+ rides have I done this year? 4, yes FOUR.

You don't see all those riders that do 1000k+ audaxes curling up and dieing.
    I can clearly recall you stating before (more than once) that you had weakness/feelings of poor health and possible overtraining symptoms. I had warned you not to attempt very high mileages at the time which was the likely cause and to rest more. It is sounding like history repeating itself here.

Too much can be less for some than for others and like I said above why ride 140 miles during times of possible poor health. You could make things much worse with not a lot to be gained.

Please understand that I am not having a go by any means but just want you to realize that too much exercise may be the reason for feeling poor perhaps along with an underlying virus or something similar which necessitates rest.

Murr X
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    freehub wrote:
    So why have I not had this feeling all of last year and the year before? 140 miles on flat at an easy pace is bugger all, a 25 mile tt would probably take more out of me.

why are you even riding 140 miles when your target is 10 & 25m TTs...??
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Pseudonym wrote:
    freehub wrote:

why are you even riding 140 miles when your target is 10 & 25m TTs...??

Because, maybe, shock horror, he enjoys cycling? :shock:

I think half the issue is physcological, and the other half the result of unstructured training, you can't expect to perform when you training is so higgly piggly "some weeks I have 4-5 days recovery" :roll:
  • lifeform
    lifeform Posts: 126
    Or, instead of the scary TPO/Heart/Tumor/Bubonic Plague suggestions, it could just be something as simple as good old fashioned Fatigue?

Adrenalin can cause the sensation itchy/tingling skin, and too much adrenalin often causes dizzy/woozy sensations (due to the way the brain changes it's processing of visual/aural information to 'snapshot' threat interpretation) - it often feels like mild vertigo.

This can become a self-fulfilling prophecy as without a distinct external threat you can start to examine why you're dizzy, or why your heart rate is up, or how your muscles feel... which causes panic/fear, which increases adrenalin production, which makes you dizzier, and so on.

In simple terms, you could be so physically worn out your body only has two basic states; rest, and fight or flight. Mentally you may be fine, alert, and 'on one'... physically your body is demanding more chemicals to cope with the stress you're placing it under.

Don't expect the NHS to pick that up, aside from the absolute difficulties of diagnosing a variable like fatigue/exhaustion. Indeed, if you're not haemorraging blood, have a limb dropped off, or exhibit any other obviously fixable external symtoms, they don't really have the resources to do much with you.

A GP is usually just what it says on the tin - a Generalist. He'll be dealing with everything from little old ladies with defective hips to infants with odd rashes. So an apparently healthy young man with vague symptoms of dizziness during or after massive exercise is not going to get a whole lot of attention.

I had (and sometimes still have) the symptoms you describe - I ultimately gave up with the NHS, and indeed Private healthcare (although Private was hugely better). I've had cameras inserted into every orifice, had an ECG, done this, done that etc etc - always 'Nothing wrong with you'.

In the end I took it upon myself to work out what was wrong - blood pressure monitor, monitoring my diet, noting when I got these sensations. Ultimately, for me, it came down to one thing - exhaustion. I wasn't exercising, had a hugely pressurised job, got little sleep, drank alcohol in the evenings and caffeine during the day, usual stuff. Packed in the caffeine and alcohol, started exercising - consequently raised my endurance, and lowered the chemicals in my system = much better.

It could be that you need to examine closely what you're asking your body to do, and what you're doing to support it when you are doing it. But, as you've been very vague about the riding you are and aren't doing, not explained what you do for a job, what you're eating, how much you're drinking etc, there's not much you can hope for than just random suggestions - and if you're going to your GP with the same dearth of information it would be unfair to expect much more than that as well.

The only thing I will say as an absolute - that the dietary information typically dished out by the NHS, health food shops, etc, is usually designed for someone not doing anything like the sort of exercise you seem to be doing.

The only other thing I will say is bear in mind when dealing with the NHS/GP is that what may seem like 'mild exercise' to you - a 25 mile TT or 140 mile rideout - would comfortably put 99.9% of the population in hospital.