Longest Regular Daily Commute

Comments

• essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    32.6 miles per day round trip, 5 days a week, every day unless it's icy. Occasionally work at a closer office, 8 mile round trip, maybe once a month.
  • Hot Orange
    Hot Orange Posts: 157
    32 - 40 miles a day depending on which route I fancy. I aim to do it four days a week, but have to do it at least three times in order to clock up 100 miles for the week.
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    mine is a paltry 18 mile round trip - 5/5 days a week, except when i am off, like today - so planning a 50 miler later, rest day tomorrow and then a 75 miler on friday. :D
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • bobbygloss
    bobbygloss Posts: 317
    I also cross the sea
    My commute is minimum 20 miles a day, 22 miles if on road bike. But I cross the sea a minimum of 5 times, that must count for something!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    AndyOgy wrote:
    There was a thread on here a while back about a guy who was in the news because his daily commute was a 144 mile round trip. Southampton to London, or something like that.

The guy himself wasn't posting, someone posted a link to the news article about him.

Of course he isn't on here. I would imagine he's always either eating, sleeping or riding. Or perhaps a combination of the two.
    Throw in actually working and he must have no time for doing anything else.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    23 mile round trip, Neath-Port Talbot, AND work a 12-hr shift between 45min commute!
    4 days per week in the glorious Welsh summer (which appears to be over, btw!),
    occasionally throw an extra 10 mile loop in on the homeward leg, if I'm feeling keen/if
    there is a tailwind/if I had an easy shift/ all of the above!
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...
  • calonuk
    calonuk Posts: 78
    Well 26 miles round trip here average 3 - 5 days aweek depending on client appointments.
    At the moment suffering from really bad MAN flu and no matter how much i tell my body to MTFU it just wont do it, hopefully will be back on the bike by the weekend.

exercise.png
  • ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    Min 40 miles per day, 5 days per week. The only time off is holidays

Normal 44 miles per day - up to 60 m in summer (as yesterday).

That takes me to 9,000 - 9,250 miles per year commuting.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    13.5 mile round trip, but a member on another bike forum I'm on does 24 miles (Coventry to Leicester) each way daily....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dm38
    dm38 Posts: 47
    No where as much as a lot of people on here but mine is a 35 mile round trip 5 days a week come rain, wind, snow and broken bones.

In the summer (and dry winter days) it's usually much longer as I take longer detours almost daily plus loads of milage over the weekend.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    CiB wrote:
    Ha. Marches confidently into the lead, sort of. 21 miles each way, but limited to 2 days a week in term time and then only on those days when there are no after-school activities.

Hols start in three weeks tho so up to 4 per week then.

Do I win £5?

No, because it isn't every day
  • 44 mile round trip for me on a very flat route (300ft elevation each way)

Do this 2-3 times a week in the Summer. Have yet to do it in the winter but will try for a couple of times a week depending on the weather

This is too far really as despite being over a 17mph average it takes too much time/energy out of the day. Would prefer a round trip of around 30 miles or less as it would be a lot easier to do 5 days a week.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    The good thing about these threads (this one and the "steepest hill" one) is that whilst my commute is not the steepest, or longest or most regular, I can see it is at least respectable. 30+ miles RT, 2000ft-ish of climbing, typically 3 days a week but year-round in all weathers (save for dangerous wind or deep snow). I have a reasonably demanding job, a family and cycling isn't my prime hobby. I feel OK about it.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • alansd1980
    alansd1980 Posts: 201
    Met a woman tonight who put my 36 mile round trip into perspective.
    She has started doing Windsor to London 3 or 4 days a week. That would be a 72 mile rt.
    Banstead in Surrey to Russell square and back
    FCN 4
  • 45 miles round trip, rain, wind or shine all seasons. Takes between 1 hour 3 minutes (pb) and 1 hour 40 minutes which was in a gale with that horizontal rain stuff. A workmate normally joins me 3 days a week which is nice. According to some bloke who works for the council trying to encourage kids to cycle, I'm "awesome!! "

In reality there seems to be quite a few roadies riding between Norwich and Yarmouth in the summer months and quite a few are a good bit quicker than me so I don't feel that special.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    All these miles are really confusing me... use kms!
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    42 mile RT most days.
  • bigkid
    bigkid Posts: 32
    Only 10 miles a day, 5 days a week, all year for me, but I take my hat off to an old boy that drinks in the village pub where I used to live...
    He 'commuted' 6 miles each way 6 nights a week to the pub, always drinking 4 pints whilst there and carrying his 'pub' shoes in a carrier bag on the handlebars for something like 20 years - legend. This must count for a special prize??
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Valy wrote:
    Just learn to multiply by 1.6, it's not hard! (or divide by 5 multiply by 8 to make it even easier!)

Besides we have to watch the TdF and keep dividing by 1.6 to know the REAL distances.....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    Valy wrote:
    Just learn to multiply by 1.6, it's not hard! (or divide by 5 multiply by 8 to make it even easier!)

Besides we have to watch the TdF and keep dividing by 1.6 to know the REAL distances.....

Simon

Yeha it's just having to do it again and again, besides: Rule 24
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    25 miles per day. a new job in the spring led to this. I'm saving up some MTFU for crappy winter rides!
  • hargo
    hargo Posts: 8
    I'm currently embarking on a 34 mile round trip from Manchester to Birchwood which I'm intending to do twice a week for the next few weeks.

I did a trial commute home the other night and got lost 4 times due to:
    - shoddy GPS not working leaving me lost in Birchwood trying to find an unmarked path to a minor road.
    - shoddy mapwork skills and sense of direction
    - getting lost in an industrial estate in Timperley

Hoping to do the full round trip tomorrow so I'm aiming to set off at 6:30am and get in for about 8:10ish, shower, desk, food and ready for 8:30am provided I can find my way in properly!
  • ex-pat scot
    I've commuted a few times into Birchwood - 25 years ago. I seem to remember I got rather lost quite a few times. And I used to work as a van driver in that area!

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • Blacktemplar
    Blacktemplar Posts: 713
    My own commute is a relatively mediocre 25 mile round trip, usually at least 4 days a week, depending on whether I have off-site meetings or not.

However a friend does a very manly 62-mile round trip every day - he's a doctor and weighs about 4 stone........
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Update; soon to be 21 miles each way, five days a week and all year round.

Can't wait.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • ex-pat scot
    ASprilla. Welcome to my world

• stuj15
    stuj15 Posts: 167
    32 miles round trip x5 (just under an hour each way) All weather bar snow.
    90mins gym x 3

That's until I break under Clydesdale, then I'm having a kip. :)
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    fo' shizzle my nizzle

Definition 4 cost me a loud piggy snort in a full, quiet office.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Whoops! that was supposed to be a thread, not a reply!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    SimonAH wrote:
    Whoops! that was supposed to be a thread, not a reply!

128798913817088466.jpg
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter