Longest Regular Daily Commute

thecrofter
thecrofter Posts: 734
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
Sorry if this has been done, but who on here has the longest daily commute?

By daily I mean at least four days a week not just "I once cycled from Sunderland to London for the day". A genuine daily commute. I don't qualify myself as I don't commute that regularly, I'm just interested. I did meet a guy on an evening ride near my house who commutes Edinburgh to Glasgow probably 100 miles a day, but he's not on Bike Radar, as far as I know.
So time for a bit of willy-waving......
You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!

Comments

• king_jeffers
    king_jeffers Posts: 694
    I think I'm a contender at just over 13 miles a day!

:oops:
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    I think I'm a contender at just over 13 miles a day!

So far you're in the lead :)
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    edited July 2011
    I was chatting to someone who I had not seen for a while yesterday and since he's moved out of London his commute is now Liphook, Hampshire to Canary Wharf (2/3 times a week). I'm not sure of the mileage but I'm guessing in excess of 40miles each way with quite a few ups and downs.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    15.4 miles per day, 5 days a week. Only 2 days off the bike year. Addition is Erskine Bridge, taking a daily total to 30. OK, not huge but regular....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    One way
    Most Direct 13.1 miles
    Via Richmond Park 18 Miles
    Via Park + a lap 25 miles

This morning 15.5 miles
    Last night 25.1 miles
    Yesterday Total 40.7 miles
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    Well I might as well step in to the lead (before anyone else posts) with 19 miles a day.

This thread can now close. Where do I pick up my medal? :lol:
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    Sketchley wrote:
    One way
    Most Direct 13.1 miles
    Via Richmond Park 18 Miles
    Via Park + a lap 25 miles

This morning 15.5 miles
    Last night 25.1 miles
    Yesterday Total 40.7 miles

Damn you. You couldn't let me have my moment could you. You just had to ruin it didn't you! I HATE YOU AAARRRRGGHHH...

... ahem....

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    thecrofter wrote:
    Sorry if this has been done, but who on here has the longest daily commute?

By daily I mean at least four days a week not just "I once cycled from Sunderland to London for the day". A genuine daily commute. I don't qualify myself as I don't commute that regularly, I'm just interested. I did meet a guy on an evening ride near my house who commutes Edinburgh to Glasgow probably 100 miles a day, but he's not on Bike Radar, as far as I know.
    So time for a bit of willy-waving......
    And I bet that guy was laughing all the way to work this morning as he weaved through a motorways worth of traffic on the surrounding single carriageway roads.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Without detours; 34 miles round trip, year round.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    I remember reading about some bloke a few years ago who stayed in the Borders & commuted 20-30 miles to Edinburgh each way, every day, whatever the weather, all year round - dont' remember any more details but remember thinking "EFFORT!" at the time... :lol:
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    36 Miles a day - 3 days a week, been commuting for a few weeks now so a relative new boy. :)

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    Mine's a relatively tame 18-20 miles round trip depending on route, but I haven't missed a day in a good while, rather enjoy it most days - especially now as the scools are off & roads are empty!
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • rickyrider
    rickyrider Posts: 294
    Origamist wrote:
    I was chatting to someone who I had not seen for a while yesterday and since he's moved out of London his commute is now Liphook, Hampshire to Canary Wharf (2/3 times a week). I'm not sure of the mileage but I'm guessing in excess of 40miles each way with quite a few ups and downs.

jeez - that's pretty nuts - chapeau that man. My round trip is 43 miles, but I often split it across days due to the extra hour it adds on each way compared to the train... your mate must literally have no time to anything else during the week apart from work/cycle... I'm guessing he hasn't got a kid like me?!
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    In a rather pathetic attempt to confuse things, mine is only 30 miles RT but with around 2000ft of climbing thrown in.

I also cross the sea

I'll get my coat....
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    rickyrider wrote:
    Origamist wrote:

jeez - that's pretty nuts - chapeau that man. My round trip is 43 miles, but I often split it across days due to the extra hour it adds on each way compared to the train... your mate must literally have no time to anything else during the week apart from work/cycle... I'm guessing he hasn't got a kid like me?!

I've met a guy that commutes from Invergordon to Inverness - that's got to be a 60-mile RT with some really horrible wind and a pretty nasty climb or two.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    No detours = 41miles; wind rain or shine.

Need to put in a 5 day week soon but something always gets in the way!

No I don't have kids!
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    30miles a day (15 each way) unless I do a few extra laps of Regents Park... so not the longest, but regularly doing 5 days a week (ok not today, was WFH, but still got a ride in early this morning to do some errands)
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • Last summer I took a day off work and had a nice little ride out into the country. I happened upon this nice country pub so stopped for lunch and a pint. While I'm sitting in the beer garden this old fellow turns up on what looks like the same bike as I use as my usual commuter. So we get chatting and it turns out thst he bought the bike about 20 years earlier and reckons to have ridden not less than 50 miles every day on it bar a handful of days. As you may imagine every component had been replaced several times over but the frame was still going strong after best part of 400,000 miles.

OK he was retired and not a commuter, but still pretty impressive. When I grow up I want to be just like that.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    absolute base of 26 miles a day 5 days a week
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Origamist wrote:

Was that JHA?
    FCN = 4
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    36 miles a day, 4 days a week for me
    FCN = 4
  • Flyingbogey
    Flyingbogey Posts: 352
    34 Miles round trip averages out at 5 days a week but shift worker so some lonely sunday mornings spotting the stop outs scurrying home!
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    Origamist wrote:

Was that JHA?

Yep - very nice chap.
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    There was a thread on here a while back about a guy who was in the news because his daily commute was a 144 mile round trip. Southampton to London, or something like that.

The guy himself wasn't posting, someone posted a link to the news article about him.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Ha. Marches confidently into the lead, sort of. 21 miles each way, but limited to 2 days a week in term time and then only on those days when there are no after-school activities.

Hols start in three weeks tho so up to 4 per week then.

Do I win £5?
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    I'm doing 40 miles per day, 3 times a week on average.
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    52 miles round trip.

0-2 days a week in winter, 3-5 in summer.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    13-18 miles each way (depending on whether from home or Esher to Fulham), last 4 days, couldn't today as had to go to Leicester, but back on tomorrow.
  • jas1978
    jas1978 Posts: 29
    14.5 each way 29 miles 3 times a week, when saving for our family holiday last year i did it every day for 6 months, made me proud of myself!
    How do you work out your elevations, my ride in is along the south coast from near Gosport to Southampton and to me it's hilly.........or am I just a turd?!
    2010 Kona jake with Bontrager Hardschells and some aerobars
  • Mark Bom
    Mark Bom Posts: 184
    Mine is a pathetic 16 mile round trip, but...I do treat it as a TT and motor as hard as I can....honest!!! :oops:

Anyway, I once spoke with a fella who worked in Bristol but lived in Wales. His commute was a 78 mile round trip due to not being able to ride over the new Severn Bridge. Coupled with racing he reckons he was doing 15,000 miles a year!