Is boxing a sport, how are sports defined?

13»

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Ben6899 wrote:
    These threads always highlight the posters who used to get smashed at school rugby or who never had the ball passed to them because they're unco.

Just sayin'

...and then went on to play golf because they could just about hit a ball that didn't move.

Crackfox, I love that picture!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,352
    You guys don't play golf do you? There are lots of variations, but the most popular game is stroke play i.e. the winner is the one who takes the fewest number of strokes in the round (it's not how far but how many). There are loads of club golfers in their 70s who can get around in good scores, that younger players can only dream of. Sure being a bit younger, stronger and more flexible helps, but the likes of Tom Watson are still competitive with the best in the world tnto their 60s.

The bit in bold in basically what I've said all along. Being younger, stronger and more flexible doesn't really matter in non sports like snooker, pool, bowling or darts

While Tom Watson is a class act, one of the best to ever play the game it's not really realistic to say he is competitive with the best in the world anymore. Advances in equipment have extended the older players careers and he had that glorious chance in The Open a couple of years back but no I don't think it's true to say he is still competitive.

Re John Daly, I've always believed that if he wasn't a mess he would have won multiple majors, even in the Tiger Woods era. Awesome power combined with an amazing touch.
    Love the story of him winning his first major at the USPGA after only starting as 9th alternate and driving through the night get to the course in time to tee off. Then battering the course into submission. Great player.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    ...Re John Daly, I've always believed that if he wasn't a mess he would have won multiple majors, even in the Tiger Woods era. Awesome power combined with an amazing touch.
    Love the story of him winning his first major at the USPGA after only starting as 9th alternate and driving through the night get to the course in time to tee off. Then battering the course into submission. Great player (for a fat bloke).

FTFY
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    ...Re John Daly, I've always believed that if he wasn't a mess he would have won multiple majors, even in the Tiger Woods era. Awesome power combined with an amazing touch.
    Love the story of him winning his first major at the USPGA after only starting as 9th alternate and driving through the night get to the course in time to tee off. Then battering the course into submission. Great player (for a fat bloke).

FTFY

Old age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill :wink:
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    Is fishing a sport?

If you count sitting on your ar$e and not moving much for hours on end as 'sport', then my desk job qualifies as a sport too :)
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    realistically it's a sport if people call it a sport.

nothing more or less.