Is boxing a sport, how are sports defined?

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
Boxing is not a sport - its two blokes trying to beat the crap out of each other - maybe you would like to bring back gladiators (not the wussy TV program the real thing )

Made anonymous for decency.

So, is boxing a sport? And by extension the question is raised, what is a sport?

For me a sport has to be a competition against others and won by a defined measurable, which includes but isn't limited to distance, time etc. It also has to involve an activity that involves physical exertion beyond the normal daily activity.

Boxing contains those things.

Now I can understand if people want to say they don't like that particular sport because it is violent/boring etc. But you can't dismiss boxing simply because you don't like it. IMHO.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• Rule74Please
    Rule74Please Posts: 307
    Boxing is a sport!!!!

Horse racing is not and don't get me started on darts snooker ten pin bowling and the like
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I can dismiss golf because I don't like it, but that is another issue.

Of course boxing is a sport. One person bests another person using their physical attributes and by preventing their opponant from landing a knock-out blow.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Of course boxing is a sport. One person bests another person using their physical attributes and by preventing their opponant from landing a knock-out blow.

EKE, is Individual Pursuit a sport? :twisted:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Wikipedia has an excellent definition of a sport:
    A sport is an organized, competitive, entertaining, and skillful activity requiring commitment, strategy, and fair play, in which a winner can be defined by objective means. Generally speaking, a sport is a game based in physical athleticism. Activities such as board games and card games are sometimes classified as "mind sports," but strictly speaking "sport" by itself refers to some physical activity. Non-competitive activities may also qualify, for example though jogging or playing catch are usually classified as forms of recreation, they may also be informally called "sports" due to their similarity to competitive games.

Sports are governed by a set of rules or customs. Physical events such as scoring goals or crossing a line first often define the result of a sport. However, the degree of skill and performance in some sports such as diving, dressage and figure skating is judged according to well-defined criteria. This is in contrast with other judged activities such as beauty pageants and body building, where skill does not have to be shown and the criteria are not as well defined.
  • Bikequin
    Bikequin Posts: 402
    Of course its not a sport its just gratuitous violence.

Now more importantly: “Is (internet) fishing a sport?”
    You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    My three (probably flawed) criteria:

1 - anything where a referee/umpire (or panel of) is required to decide a result based on his/her judgement is not a sport (ice-skating, gymnastics)

b - anything that doesn't require intense physical exertion isn't a sport (darts, bowls, golf)

iii - anything that can be described as a 'game' isn't a sport (tennis, football, rugby)

At the end of the day, it's all just entertainment, so it doesn't really matter what's what.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    shm_uk wrote:

iii - anything that can be described as a 'game' isn't a sport (tennis, football, rugby)

So no sports in the Olympic Games then? :D

Probably best if you just tell us what does clasify as a sport!!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rule74Please
    Bikequin wrote:
    Of course its not a sport its just gratuitous violence.

Now more importantly: “Is (internet) fishing a sport?”

strange as it may seem the real aim is not to get hit. The stronger guy doesn't always win Think rumble in the jungle to see the brain is as important as the brawn.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    dhope wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

EKE, is Individual Pursuit a sport? :twisted:

depends if Mark Renshaw is riding
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Wikipedia has an excellent definition of a sport:
    A sport is an organized, competitive, entertaining, and skillful activity requiring commitment, strategy, and fair play, in which a winner can be defined by objective means. Generally speaking, a sport is a game based in physical athleticism. Activities such as board games and card games are sometimes classified as "mind sports," but strictly speaking "sport" by itself refers to some physical activity. Non-competitive activities may also qualify, for example though jogging or playing catch are usually classified as forms of recreation, they may also be informally called "sports" due to their similarity to competitive games.

Sports are governed by a set of rules or customs. Physical events such as scoring goals or crossing a line first often define the result of a sport. However, the degree of skill and performance in some sports such as diving, dressage and figure skating is judged according to well-defined criteria. This is in contrast with other judged activities such as beauty pageants and body building, where skill does not have to be shown and the criteria are not as well defined.

That is a good definition- I like the subjective use of "entertaining", which rules out boxing for me and, as an example, sailing for most people!

:-)

I read somewhere that golf's rule against the use of carts (is that current or historical?) was meant to keep it within the bounds of a sport, since the player's had to be able to at least walk around the course...

Then there's Ernest Hemingway's (claimed- maybe it was Barnaby Conrad?) classification- bullfighting, motor racing and mountain climbing are sports, everything else is just a game... Based presumably on the likelyhood of the participant's death at the time of writing!

Cheers,
    W.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I think boxing is probabily the first sport. No fancy equipment, few rules and the winner was decided when the loser couldn't go on.

Simples.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,382
    Slightly OT, but anyone else heard that point about boxing getting more dangerous since the introduction of padded gloves - I think it came up on QI once :roll: . The logic being that you can hit someone a lot harder with gloves on, without damaging your hand. I'd say that the general perception is that bare-knuckle fighting is more brutal, although perversely less dangerous.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,351
    Amateur boxing is a sport.

Professional boxing isn't. It's a pantomine.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    shm_uk wrote:

1 - anything where a referee/umpire (or panel of) is required to decide a result based on his/her judgement is not a sport (ice-skating, gymnastics)

b - anything that doesn't require intense physical exertion isn't a sport (darts, bowls, golf)

At the end of the day, it's all just entertainment, so it doesn't really matter what's what.

That appears to exclude everything?????????????????

or was that the idea.........
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Boxing is not a sport - its two blokes trying to beat the crap out of each other - maybe you would like to bring back gladiators (not the wussy TV program the real thing )

So, is boxing a sport? And by extension the question is raised, what is a sport?

For me a sport has to be a competition against others and won by a defined measurable, which includes but isn't limited to distance, time etc. It also has to involve an activity that involves physical exertion beyond the normal daily activity.

Now I can understand if people want to say they don't like that particular sport because it is violent/boring etc. But you can't dismiss boxing simply because you don't like it. IMHO.

DDD - you don't have to make it anonymous - I'm quite happy to defend my opinion - by your definition foxhunting is a sport
  • Rule74Please
    rjsterry wrote:
    Slightly OT, but anyone else heard that point about boxing getting more dangerous since the introduction of padded gloves - I think it came up on QI once :roll: . The logic being that you can hit someone a lot harder with gloves on, without damaging your hand. I'd say that the general perception is that bare-knuckle fighting is more brutal, although perversely less dangerous.

If it was bare knuckles the fight would last 1 or 2 rounds and be stopped by cuts. Modern 12 ounce gloves are causing more brain injuries than the old 8's. 8's were banned due to cuts and bruises not brain injuries.

If the sport looks cleaner people will watch it - who cares how many punch drunk fighters we send out this will keep the doctors happy and keep boxing out of the press for the wrong reasons
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Plus I said it was not a sport first!! Yet you quote or rather anonymously quote Jay DubbleU.

OK, it is classed as a sport, but lets face it, the purpose of it is to knock out your opponent, pulverise, beat them, cause them harm. Yes, there can be skill doing it, but it does not mask the brutal side of it.

In my opinion it does not merit the tag "sport"

My opinion, nothing more, nothing less.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not sure how DDD's def makes foxhunting a sport, no competition against others!

Boxing is a sport, as is golf, darts isn't as its played by fat people (no stereotypes - honest) and has no requirement for physical fitness, snooker is on the line.....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    daviesee wrote:
    shm_uk wrote:

That appears to exclude everything?????????????????

or was that the idea.........

Anything that's a straightforward race against the clock qualifies.

And boxing, if it's a win by KO.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    rjsterry wrote:

look up the kimbo slice video and one guys eye practically hanging out..

I like UFC a lot and the more tactics that are involved than boxing(which nowadays can be a little tedious)... with the thinner gloves the punchers chance is more likely so can throw up some interesting results. and the groundgames can be really intregiing

I'm sure some will label it as brutal blood"non"sport etc but ignorance be-gets ignorance
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • flicksta
    flicksta Posts: 157
    DonDaddyD wrote:

DDD - you don't have to make it anonymous - I'm quite happy to defend my opinion - by your definition foxhunting is a sport

Foxhunting is a sport.

Whether foxhunting is sporting or not, is a different question.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    shm_uk wrote:

Team sports require a ref

These all require some level of physical dexterity/exertion

Well now, you know this is utter guff

Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Yes.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I'd say boxing is a sport - corrupt but still a sport at the point where the fighters get into the ring

however my personal take is that; anything you can participate in and smoke a cigar at the same time isn't a sport (Golf, darts), and anything where winning or losing is based on someone elses subjective points awarded isn't a sport (rhythmic gymnastics, dancing on ice)

by my own criteria - if a boxing match goes the distance it's not a sporting contest but a KO is - maybe the answer is no KO, no new winner....
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,382

Boxing is a sport, as is golf, darts isn't as its played by fat people (no stereotypes - honest) and has no requirement for physical fitness, snooker is on the line.....

Simon

Competition against the fox - fox wins if it doesn't get caught. Talking of which, the local hunt is welcome in my garden atm. If they're not screeching at each other at all hours, they're sh!tting on my doormat, or digging up my garden.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Limburger
    Limburger Posts: 346
    A sport has an inherent risk of death or maiming. Everything else is just a game.
    God made the Earth. The Dutch made The Netherlands

FCN 11/12 - Ocasional beardy
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    shm_uk wrote:

So as well as not including anything in the Olympics, there is no racing either (which is people against people rather than against the clock)?

I tend to think that a sport should require some sort of development of a physical perfection to excel in. Which effectively rules out things like darts, golf etc.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Seeing as how the oldest sport after boxing/wrestling was running, then followed by how far you can throw a spear and then HOW ACCURATELY, I'm not sure how you can rue out sports like darts/golf/snooker etc.....Are you saying Archery isn't a sport....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    rjsterry wrote:

Simon

Competition against the fox - fox wins if it doesn't get caught. Talking of which, the local hunt is welcome in my garden atm. If they're not screeching at each other at all hours, they're sh!tting on my doormat, or digging up my garden.
    Fox chased me for my kebab once, I've never sprinted so fast in my life the Fox actually gave up.

Bloody things are vile I need one of these:

releasethehounds.jpg

Hunting when it's not for (human) survival is a sport. I'd argue that it's one of the oldest sport. First person to take down the Saber-tooth Donkey becomes Chieftain!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Rolf F wrote:
    shm_uk wrote:

So as well as not including anything in the Olympics, there is no racing either (which is people against people rather than against the clock)?

I tend to think that a sport should require some sort of development of a physical perfection to excel in. Which effectively rules out things like darts, golf etc.

Nah, I don't buy that- darts and golf are about accuracy. Arguably more challenging than competing on the basis of strength and/or stamina. The quest for "physical perfection" is perfection of control instead of power.
    Then there's tactics, strategy, use of external factors... A complication in some sports and an inherent part of others.
    As long as the playing field is level and the competition fair (arguably ruling out judging, but including refereeing?), surely it should be considered a sport.

Cheers,
    W.