Is boxing a sport, how are sports defined?

Comments

• shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    winning or losing is based on someone elses subjective points awarded isn't a sport

The above is exactly what I meant by my earlier post:

1 - anything where a referee/umpire (or panel of) is required to decide a result based on his/her judgement is not a sport (ice-skating, gymnastics)
  • shm_uk
    proper sports are also more dangerous :twisted:
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Anything that can be played in a pub is not a sport

Anything that involves risk and competition is a sport - OK DDD this includes boxing but it doesn't mean I have to like it

Anything played on a pitch with rules is a game - in some instances eg chess the pitch may be very small
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Anything that can be played in a pub is not a sport

Anything that involves risk and competition is a sport - OK DDD this includes boxing but it doesn't mean I have to like it

Anything played on a pitch with rules is a game - in some instances eg chess the pitch may be very small

Does your second point contradict the third, or are you saying that something can be a game AND a sport?

i.e. rugby, football, hockey, basketball, etc. - not sports?
  • Jay dubbleU
    Correct - rugby, football, hockey, cricket etc are games not sports
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Nah, I don't buy that- darts and golf are about accuracy. Arguably more challenging than competing on the basis of strength and/or stamina. The quest for "physical perfection" is perfection of control instead of power.
    Then there's tactics, strategy, use of external factors... A complication in some sports and an inherent part of others.
    As long as the playing field is level and the competition fair (arguably ruling out judging, but including refereeing?), surely it should be considered a sport.

Cheers,
    W.

I hear what you say and I'm not sure I have a great counter argument. However, golf is a sport where the pros avoid physical exercise by travelling around in electric milk floats and darts - well, if you want to do something, do it properly. How can darts be anything other than a very poor relation to archery. Archery is to darts what Formula 1 is to Scalextric :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Libraio
    Libraio Posts: 181
    Rolf F wrote:
    Nah, I don't buy that- darts and golf are about accuracy. Arguably more challenging than competing on the basis of strength and/or stamina. The quest for "physical perfection" is perfection of control instead of power.
    Then there's tactics, strategy, use of external factors... A complication in some sports and an inherent part of others.
    As long as the playing field is level and the competition fair (arguably ruling out judging, but including refereeing?), surely it should be considered a sport.

Cheers,
    W.

I hear what you say and I'm not sure I have a great counter argument. However, golf is a sport where the pros avoid physical exercise by travelling around in electric milk floats and darts - well, if you want to do something, do it properly. How can darts be anything other than a very poor relation to archery. Archery is to darts what Formula 1 is to Scalextric :lol:

Ah, but the pros don't ride around on milk floats do they? Only the wannabees ride around on litle cars. The pros have slaves to carry their bags for them...

Anything you can play with a beer in your hand while playing is not a sport.
    The Commuter: 2009 Trek District
    The John Deere: 2011 Van Dessel WTF
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Correct - rugby, football, hockey, cricket etc are games not sports

What absolute tosh.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Any definition that means that golf is included as a sport is wrong.
    It is a game (like tiddly-winks or Jenga), but not a sport.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    “People play baseball...Nobody plays boxing.”
  • EKE_38BPM
    MichaelW wrote:

As said by Ving Rhames' character George 'Iceman' Chambers in the film Undisputed, starring the late Peter Falk.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    MichaelW wrote:

Do you play cycling then?

:roll:
  • Jay dubbleU
    Sport requires you to recite the mantra 'Oh sh*t I'm going to die' at least once during each event - everything else is just a game. Anything that can be played in a pub is a passtime
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,352
    If you have to change your shoes to 'play' it then it's a sport.

If it can be 'played' in an ordinary pair of shoes then it is just a game.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • EKE_38BPM

I like that, but it still falls foul of my golf test. I say again, golf is not a sport.

• tailwindhome
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

I like that, but it still falls foul of my golf test. I say again, golf is not a sport.

I say golf is a sport.

The level of physical strength, coordination and control to hit a golf ball 350 yards and land it where you want to is extraordinary. This to be seperates it from non sports which despite involving great skill are devoid of any 'physical' requirements.

Not Sports---

Archery
    Darts
    Shooting

Sports

Golf
    Javelin
    Shot put
    Hammer Throwing
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,382
    Depend what sort of archery - using a longbow requires a great deal of strength, albeit that is a pretty niche activity.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • shm_uk
    in reality, they're all just hobbies or pastimes :)
  • EKE_38BPM
    A 'sport' that people take up in their retirement (when they are heading towards being doddery) cannot be a sport.

How many OAPs take up (or even still play) rugby?

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Sports don't have breaks in them, and are generally of a racing variety.

Everything else is a game, especially anything involving a ball.

That said, generally Faster, Higher, Stronger (the olympic motto) is a pretty good acid test for sports. Even though it classes boxing as a sport.
  • Consider the following activities. All require the participant to propel an object towards a target with perhaps differing degrees of physical effort:
      Shove ha'penny Green Bowls 10-pin bowling Curling Snooker Golf
    Precision and skill are arguably greater than athletics 'throwing events' where distance is prized more than precision. Does this make them any more or less of a sport?

Is fishing a sport?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Jay dubbleU
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    A 'sport' that people take up in their retirement (when they are heading towards being doddery) cannot be a sport.

Bit less of the doddery, young man - I may be over sixty but I can still ride faster than people half my age
  • tailwindhome
    edited July 2011
    Consider the following activities. All require the participant to propel an object towards a target with perhaps differing degrees of physical effort:
      Shove ha'penny Green Bowls 10-pin bowling Curling Snooker Golf
    Precision and skill are arguably greater than athletics 'throwing events' where distance is prized more than precision. Does this make them any more or less of a sport?

Is fishing a sport?

The bit in bold is the key point.

The physical effort of hitting a golf ball 350 yards and on target far outweighs the other 'sports' you name.

No fishing isn't a sport.

If fishing is a sport, then doing the 'Big Shop' is a sport
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Bit less of the doddery, young man - I may be over sixty but I can still ride faster than people half my age

Just because you are heading towards retirement it doesn't automatically make you doddery. A friend of mine is planning his retirement next year. He'll be 37! Git!!

• tailwindhome
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    A 'sport' that people take up in their retirement (when they are heading towards being doddery) cannot be a sport.How many OAPs take up (or even still play) rugby?

Just because you are heading towards retirement it doesn't automatically make you doddery. A friend of mine is planning his retirement next year. He'll be 37! Git!!

Why would the age of the competitor have any bearing on wether or not it should be considered a sport?

In fact you've probably undermined your own position with that comment.

A 70 year old snooker player (eyesight permitting) can take on a 20 year old and still compete. A 70 year old against a 20 year old on a golf course would be a total mismatch.
  • A 70 year old against a 20 year old on a golf course would be a total mismatch.

See I don't think this is true. Golf is a game of great skill and subtlety. I play a bit of golf and being reasonably fit and strong can hit the ball a fair way, but I'm often beaten by old fellows in their 70's that don't hit anywhere nearly as far as me, but keep it straight. Putting is probably the most important part of the game and that element (like the other activities I mention above) requires precision over physical strength.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    A 'sport' that people take up in their retirement (when they are heading towards being doddery) cannot be a sport.How many OAPs take up (or even still play) rugby?

Why would the age of the competitor have any bearing on wether or not it should be considered a sport?

In fact you've probably undermined your own position with that comment.

A 70 year old snooker player (eyesight permitting) can take on a 20 year old and still compete. A 70 year old against a 20 year old on a golf course would be a total mismatch.

The 70 year old snooker player would (probably) have a less steady hand so would miss the shot, but the old are devious and sneaky. The gamesmanship learned over the decades would have taught them how to snooker their 20 year old opponent.
    On the golf track, the fogie would be out of the running if not for a handicapping system.

• You guys don't play golf do you? There are lots of variations, but the most popular game is stroke play i.e. the winner is the one who takes the fewest number of strokes in the round (it's not how far but how many). There are loads of club golfers in their 70s who can get around in good scores, that younger players can only dream of. Sure being a bit younger, stronger and more flexible helps, but the likes of Tom Watson are still competitive with the best in the world tnto their 60s.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    These threads always highlight the posters who used to get smashed at school rugby or who never had the ball passed to them because they're unco.

Just sayin'
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • CrackFox
    CrackFox Posts: 287
    Boxing is a sport. But golf? I think that if participants can compete at the professional level without meeting certain standards of physical athleticism, then it's a game and not a sport. Golf requires skill, but so does playing Quake.

john-daly-golfer.jpg