utterly utterly utterly p****d off with my bike

1235»

Comments

• Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    In case anyone wanted to learn anything from this; an update:

Turned out to be the freehub - new wheels have cured the problem.

So, despite me saying to the LBS on 3 occasions that I thought it was the freehub, and being told 3 times that I was wrong and they didn't even look at it, turns out I was right.

In the end I bypassed the LBS and sent a video and some audio directly to Specialized by email - they diagnosed it straight away and a few days later I had new wheels delivered - problem solved.
  • Dalton
    Dalton Posts: 265
    Result!!

Excellent service too by Specialized.

:D
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I changed the wheels on mine almost right away, I don't rate the hubs int hem at all, the front even though it's had minimal use is rough when I spin it off the bike, the rear is fine, after loads of trouble with cup and cone on my mtb and with the front std wheel I try and avoid any wheelsets with them form now on.

Glad you have a silent bike again.
  • bobgfish
    bobgfish Posts: 545
    I have the same bike and freehub as well. Yes the freehub has been replaced once allready and I'm sure it will get done again soon. The noise started about 1 month after having it and got to the point the thing was locking up during very cold weather over winter. New wheels that I've purchased are also on the way. The hubs on the sectuers are crap. The bearing sin the front wheel are allready gone and I've also replaced the back too. These wheel are going to being my crappy winter commut wheels and I'm going to stop fixing them.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I might keep mine for a single speed winter mule but I will need to get the front bearings sorted and the back changed somehow to single speed, (not a clue on this one)
  • Good showing by Specialized then to get it sorted. Bad showing by LBS if you said it was the freehub and they didn't even check it.

Hopefully you can get on with some decent noise free riding and actually enjoy the bike again!
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Have just ridden to blackpool and had 45 blissfully silent miles!!

At last!!!!
  • KINGGARY
    KINGGARY Posts: 89
    I had the same problem with the wheels on my roubaix , when I spoke to the warranty guy at specialized he told me he was amazed the freehub had lasted that long as they were cheap sh1t .
    Pleased you managed to get it sorted , a creaking bike really takes some of the enjoyment away.