utterly utterly utterly p****d off with my bike

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Secteur, did you try tightening up the rear skewer?
  • Fenred
    Fenred Posts: 428
    Crem wrote:
    there is a terrible wheezing and gasping of air noise I have yet to locate.

I get that too....except it's coming from the rider :lol::wink:
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    OK, well just to answer the question above;

The noise is only when actively pedalling - in all gears and in all conditions. It does not happen when free-wheeling.

It happnes both when stood up or in the saddle.

I believe it's somewhere in the drive train.

The saddle has been replaced as it was found to be faulty.

despite really close observation and study I cannot localise the sound to any specific part, but it is well known that it can be very difficult to localise noises.

The BB has been stripped, cleaned and part of it replaced. It apparently contained a lot of rust and dirt.

The gears change perfectly and are correctly indexed and lined up etc.

I have always believed the rear axle (?technical term - is it the hub?) is the only part that hasn't been stripped but the LBS say it spins smoothly and feels ok.

The pedals have been removed, greased and re-fitted.

I have cycled with normal shoes, and it still happens. My cleats are tight.

The chain is intact and the derilleurs aligned correctly.

The head-set is now tight and all the various bolts around the bike are ok.

The carbon seat post is not in any way greased - I asked the LBS about this after addvice on this thread and they say it muyst be fitted "dry".

I have noticed that the back wheel drops out when the rear skewer arm is pulled down- it doesnt seem to tighten with several turns like the front one. no idea if this could be a problem. When it is fixed in position, the wheel does nto feel loose and ther eis no movement as far as I can tell.
  • Secteur
    PS I am embarassed about this - I dont want to be a moaner, but I just dont know what to do. sorry, and thanks for all the suggestions! I know I'd probably take the mickey a bit if it was someone else, but it really is ruining the enjoyment of cycling. it's hard to relax when the noise is so loud that it echoes off the trees and houses near by and maked people turn around even when they're 50ft ahead - honestly that happened several times yesterday!
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Despite the amount of work that the LBS have already done on it I suspect that it still has a problem with the BB.

If the problem happens ALL THE TIME and is SO VERY LOUD then the LBS will have no problem duplicating it.

I don't have the warrantee info for my Specialized bike in front of me here but istr it is AT LEAST a 2 year on manufacturing defects

If the LBS cannot fix the loud noise then ask for a complete replacement bike on the grounds that it has a manufacturing defect

In general, I feel that you are acting reasonably expecting the bike to "just work properly". I find it a bit of a pain in the arse the way that road bikes often seem unable to cope with normal riding without hours of maintenance
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Hi mate,

From everything posted and tried so far in this thread, I would wager £100 on either rear wheel (freehub or bearings) or bottom bracket. I know the LBS say they have had the BB apart, but everything points to these two options.

Can you replicate the sounds on a stand? If you don't have a stand, ask the missus or a mate to hold the rear of the bike up with the saddle. If the noise is there, then I think that points to rear wheel bearings. If the noise is not there, then BB (no real pressure on the pedals on the stand).

Good luck.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    I've had some similar sounds to the OP and fixed them by wrapping the bottom bracket threads in PFTE tape.

I've done it to two bikes now with 100% success rate. I thought a titanium frame meant noises were inevitable, but it has cured that frame.
  • As a mountain biker i am quite used to the odd squeek and groan. One of the hardest creaks i ever eliminated was a nightmare of epic proportions. More likely to happen to a mountain bike but you never know........ It fits all of your complaints.

People mention that a badly adjusted or badly lubricated headset can make a creak noise. Well i had that and even though i greased and adjusted mine, it never went away. It dissapeared when i wasnt pedalling but came back when i put a bit of power down. It turned out to be an ovalised head tube. The Headset cup wasnt sitting in the head tube properly and was creaking every time i pulled on the handlebars to put some power down.

Not a 5 min job to check out as its a full strip down of the front end including the forks but if you havent already checked, well you never know.
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    I havent read all the replies here, as there is 6 pages as I get bored quickly!.. but if no one has mentioed it, when applying pressure try doing it with it applied to one crank arm, and then the next and then adjusting your foot inside the shoe.

I have/had the same issue and it tunred out to be my SPD cleat on the shoe, who would have thought ..lol :lol:
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    Can't be bother to read all 6 pages and other threads but.....

Has the BB shell been faced? That has always been the source of creaks and clanks for me if using an external bottom bracket. Shops and sellers say they have faced the shell but often don't. You can tell by removing the bottom bracket and looking.

a serious case of small cogs
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    secteur,

Take no heed of those vilifying you. What you are expecting is reasonable at worst, those that say their bike creaks or groans and is 'fine' are Luddites. Cycling along normally, the only sound you should hear is the wind and the tyres.

Sounds of grinding, rubbing and creaks cannot be a good thing (must be worse than no sound) but does not mean impending failure.

Organise a time to visit lbs, give yourself a couple of hours of your time, replicate the sound for them, insist they take it out and replicate it. Once that is done, let them know that you won't take it back until it's fixed. Ask what they fixed and how you can adjust it yourself in the future.

You will get it fixed, my most annoying noise was loose chainring bolts and took me ages to locate.
    FCN 12
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    As others have said, try different pedals, and check that the chainring bolts are tight.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Chris`I
    Chris`I Posts: 206
    Are there no other Specialized dealers in your area? Get it down to one of them and show them the problem. If its that bad then you can ride past them and they will hear it. Specialized are very good, they will just replace the bike if you moan enough, but you need a will LBS to take it on.

You shouldnt be having this much trouble pinning it down. Its usually quite easy to isolate most noises and the components they come from. If both you and the Spcialized dealer cant find the problem it should be sent off to Specialized themselves, but chance are they will just replace it. Also be sure to try out another model similar to it and make sure they definately dont make the noise, then you know for sure the bike is wrong.
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    2010 Specialized Tricross Sport (commuter)
    2012 Boardman Road Team
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    neiltb wrote:
    Organise a time to visit lbs, give yourself a couple of hours of your time, replicate the sound for them, insist they take it out and replicate it. .

So after the 47th time of going back into his LBS you want this poor guy to stand there in front of all the staff and do some noises??? Sort of like the little robot dude from Buck Rogers?

Thats a bit cruel mate.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Surely his LBS need some cheering up?
  • andi1363
    andi1363 Posts: 350
    Secteur wrote:

I have noticed that the back wheel drops out when the rear skewer arm is pulled down- it doesnt seem to tighten with several turns like the front one. no idea if this could be a problem. When it is fixed in position, the wheel does nto feel loose and ther eis no movement as far as I can tell.

You are operating the cam and not just turning the skewer?
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    Zoomer37 wrote:
    neiltb wrote:
    Organise a time to visit lbs, give yourself a couple of hours of your time, replicate the sound for them, insist they take it out and replicate it. .

So after the 47th time of going back into his LBS you want this poor guy to stand there in front of all the staff and do some noises??? Sort of like the little robot dude from Buck Rogers?

Thats a bit cruel mate.

Or alternatively, he could take the bike and demonstrate to replicate, he's not a chuffing human beatbox. I'd have thought that was obvious.
    FCN 12
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Crem wrote:
    I was serious, yes. I think everyone want to help but starting several threads and not giving any real information back just does not help anyone help you.

I know f all about bikes too and also experienced an annoying noise. It came down to two things through a process of elimination - the pedals or my knees. I took the pedals off, lubed and replaced them and the noise was never to be heard again.

BTW - My current bike is silent though up hills there is a terrible wheezing and gasping of air noise I have yet to locate.

:lol: Take it to the LBS immediately
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I don't know if already suggested, but when I had creaks when pedaling I found that it was actually just the seat post needing greased. An easy way to check if it is that is the problem is to see if it still creaks when your standing up pedaling out of the saddle. If there are no creaks when your bum is not in contact with the saddle, then that's the problem.

On both my bikes I had this problem and I was sure it was the pedals or bottom bracket, but found that when I greased the seat post, that fixed the problem.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    So after 6 pages we finally have some useful info.

Only happens when pedalling and in or out of the saddle.

Definitely sounds drivetrain to me then - bottom bracket. Get the mechanic to stand outside the shop as you ride past and he'll hear it.

I dont believe its an unsafe sound though - so the bike wont fall apart under you.
  • Secteur
    Well it's still doing it.

The machanic took it for a 40 min ride & it was silent.

I then put 60 miles on it over 2 rides, and it was silent.

I have then since done 4 rides and the noise has been present and loud.

How can it be so intermittent?

I have made a video of it here, on the bike stand. The noise can be heard at 3-7 seconds, and then again from 12 seconds. It is constant when pedalling, and much louder. When it's very bad, I can feel it transmitted through the pedals, also.

http://youtu.be/w75lrqUo22o (not sure how to embed the video here)

I also have audio files both on the stand and whilst riding, but dont know how to attach those here.

Specialized think it's either the gears (it isn't - they are set up perfectly, indexing smoothly & silently with no rubbing) or the freehub. It is impossible, even on the stand, to localise the noise to either the BB or the rear mech / free-hub area.

Back to the shop for the 6th time!

No mechanics have been able to diagnose it thus far.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    hmm- rules out BB i would think - as you aren't placing any real 'force' on the pedals when doing this.

also rules out steering.

does it only happen in that gear or all gears? - is the chain fouling the seat-stays?

rearwheel bearing?
    can you try another wheel on it?
  • Secteur
    Happens in every gear in every condition (sitting / standing / light or heavy pedalling).

Specialized are sending me a new wheel to try that.

The chain doesnt seem to rub on anything and everything seems lined up and it shifts smoothly and nicely. Also the derailler limiter is set up correctly and it doesnt rub on the extreme gears. there's no "chain chatter", althogh it does sound something like that.
  • OK, so you're not insane :lol:

If it only happens when you pedal it MUST be BB, chain rubbing somewhere, or freehub, surely (or poss crank not seated correctly on the BB spindle)? If a quick wheel swap doesn't solve it then that rules out the freehub, I would guess. Surely any decent LBS would swap these components and chase/face the BB while you waited?

FWIW my front wheel hub makes one helluva cranking/clicking noise, and that's seemingly due to the tiniest pit in the bearing race.
  • CRAIGO5000
    CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
    Eurgh that sounds awful!

Good luck with the fix, you're persistence will pay off!
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • Secteur
    Well, the shop says it has first cleaned & re-greased the BB, and then later they replaced it (or just the non-drive side part of it) - I dont know the specifics. So, they feel that they have ruled out the BB being the problem.

When I get the new wheels, I will be able to r/o a freehub problem.

I havent played with the crank arms or chain ring yet, but I assume the shop checked these on one of the many occasions it has been with them. They did regrease the pedals and where the cranks join the BB, so I presume they checked these bits.

The only other conceivable point could be the derailleur / cassette interface somewhere, I guess.

If the new wheels dont fix it, then it will be going to an independent bike mechanic (at my cost) or back to Specialized themselves for assessment.
  • ian_s
    ian_s Posts: 183
    Sounds chain related to me. Its not too long is it such that the jockey wheel is fouling on chain/cassette? (I think unlikely to happen on big chainring/cog though, and you say you have tried all gear combinations..)

Are the jockey wheels running smoothly?
    Deraileur moving smoothly - no gunk stopping it alligning some of the time?
    Cable running freely in its outer?

I find it hard to believe that you can't isolate the noise to the rear hub area or BB - can the person who took the video not get their ear up against it?
  • A couple of suggestions that you have probably looked at already...

My best guess is that there is some debris in the rear hub or freehub that floats around, sometimes keeping out of trouble and other times making a nuisance of itself in the bearings or freehub internals.

Is the cassette lockring tightened to the correct torque? (40 Nm for Shimano I believe, but should say on the lockring) - I have had an intermittent rattle (mainly riding on less smooth road surfaces) after forgetting to tighten up a cassette lockring fully.

Is the top jockey wheel okay, or does it need cleaning/lubing/replacing?

Is the replaceable derailleur hanger properly tightened up? I'm not sure how a loose derailleur would sound, but guess it wouldn't be pretty!

(Clutching at straws now) Is there any way there could be a foreign object inside your tyre/tube that might be moving around and causing your noise?

If none of the above help, and the new wheel from Specialized doesn't do the trick the only conclusion is that you are the victim of a gypsy curse. Obtaining a rabbit's foot and some lucky heather may be your only option.

Good luck, it sounds like you are starting to make some real progress, so let's hope you get this sorted out soon!
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger (and vice versa).
  • buder
    buder Posts: 154
    Secteur wrote:
    Well, the shop says it has first cleaned & re-greased the BB, and then later they replaced it (or just the non-drive side part of it) - I dont know the specifics. So, they feel that they have ruled out the BB being the problem.

When I get the new wheels, I will be able to r/o a freehub problem.

I havent played with the crank arms or chain ring yet, but I assume the shop checked these on one of the many occasions it has been with them. They did regrease the pedals and where the cranks join the BB, so I presume they checked these bits.

The only other conceivable point could be the derailleur / cassette interface somewhere, I guess.

If the new wheels dont fix it, then it will be going to an independent bike mechanic (at my cost) or back to Specialized themselves for assessment.

Hiya

that looks like the 2010 comp ?,

I have the elite as my commuter and I believe we have the same cxp22 wheel set albeit yours are eyeleted and mine are not.

There are known issues with the spesh freehubs on this wheel set I have had mine replaced twice and although not that bad sounding as your it did sound similar. It was also intermittent so was a bugger to track down to begin with.

Has the noise got worse or has it always sounded like that ?, with mine it progressively got worse. The issue I believe is with the sealing so water and crap was getting in my lbs had 4 waiting to go back when I popped in unfortunately all spesh do is send another exactly the same so hence my second one started to get noisy aswell !.

Might not be but it for me has got to be rear wheel related for sure.

good luck
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    There are known issues with the spesh freehubs on this wheel set

Yepp, agree with that. In the end I decided to replace the rear wheel hub with a 105 one, much better all round. It only took two attempts to get the build right :)