4th cat and nearly 40...is there hope!

124»

Comments

• JoeBond
    JoeBond Posts: 20

Out of interest, what sort of TT time for a ten would be a reasonable point to start thinking about entering a few races...27mins...25mins?

That’s an interesting questiion, though not one that’s easy to give a useful answer to. There are too many external factors that influence the results in time trials. Eg course, type of bike, mentality of the rider etc. For example I spent 6 seasons as a 1st cat but have never broken 24 minutes for a 10. However I’ve only ever ridden our club 10 which has a dirty great hill in it. And I don’t have a time trial bike. But there are guys on here who regularly do 21-22 minutes who couldn’t buy a top 10 finish in a 4th cat only race.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    What Joe says is true - but as a ballpark I reckon the vast majority of 3/4 cats would be doing inside 25 minutes on a road bike for an average 10 - country lanes but not too hilly.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    JoeBond wrote:
    But there are guys on here who regularly do 21-22 minutes who couldn’t buy a top 10 finish in a 4th cat only race.
    Oh, I don't know, if they had the right conditions, a float day, pan-flat course, silky-smooth road surface and plenty of traffic sucking them along, they might manage it............ :wink:

Ruth
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Pseudonym wrote:
    Anyway, I'll leave you to have the last word - you sound like the kind of fella that likes to have it.....

That's a great tactic that many a thread troll uses to 'win' an internet argument. You must be feeling very proud.

But I'll take your bait and have the last word, just to say I think surista hit the nail on the head with this post.
    surista wrote:
    Wow, am really surprised (and a bit saddened) at some of the responses here. A real-life cautionary tale of how things can go seriously wrong is most definitely NOT out of place here. Granted, maybe the moral of the tale shouldn't be 'don't race', but particularly for us over 40 or so, our bodies heal slower, and we have less opportunity to rebuild careers. A bit of caution ain't a bad thing.

'There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots'.

If you are thinking of racing, don't hesitate, do it. It's great fun. But... in almost every race I've entered or spectated there has been at least one crash (there were two last night). You might be lucky enough for it never to happen to you, but don't leave it down to luck. Some crashes are unavoidable but the best thing you can do is make sure you have good bike handling ability, and try to identify and stay away from riders that don't.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • BeaconRuth wrote:
    JoeBond wrote:
    But there are guys on here who regularly do 21-22 minutes who couldn’t buy a top 10 finish in a 4th cat only race.
    Oh, I don't know, if they had the right conditions, a float day, pan-flat course, silky-smooth road surface and plenty of traffic sucking them along, they might manage it............ :wink:

Ruth

That'd be a typical day out for a sprinter then ;)
  • Pseudonym wrote:
    surista wrote:
    'There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots'.

actually, there are. I know plenty of 'veteran' racers who fit both the 'old' and the 'bold' descriptions....

Whoosh!!!!
  • In reply to the op, I started doing some circuit racing this year at the age of 46, to supplement my TTing and have got 9 points from 3 cat 4 races and need 1 more from a pending result from Saturday (where i think I came 9th). You're never too old to start, but i also have been doing some vets races every other Wednesday where E,1,2,3 & 4 cats all go off together, and the standard of bike handling is on the whole, better than a 4th cat race. It is also a lot faster so stands you in good stead for the 4ths races.

It depends on how much experience you have of bunch riding, as it appears to me that a lot of cat 4's turn up without a lot of experience and switch about all over the place, and when told about it, get arsey (as happened on Saturday after someone weaved from left then to right in the bunch without any regard for fellow riders).

Good Luck with it.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    If you can manage to have different disagreements with different people about different subjects all on one thread........

Then maybe its you.
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • What Joe says is true - but as a ballpark I reckon the vast majority of 3/4 cats would be doing inside 25 minutes on a road bike for an average 10 - country lanes but not too hilly.

I think that is being a bit optimistic - good third cats riding road bikes on a reasonably fast course would get within 25 mins. Getting inside 24 mins for a 10 on a road bike requires either a very fast course or a good set of legs...obviously there are always a selection of diesel engines out there who are a lot better at TT's vs road races, but they can't handle the change in pace in a RR or bunch riding so usually don't make the impact their TT times would suggest they should make.
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    You're never too old to have a go at racing.

Definitely more risk of crashing in road racing mixing it with all the youngsters and psychos which is why many of us stick to testing instead.

The poster who got bitter and has given it all up in his thirties after one crash needs to have a rethink as he is still relatively young compared to most people who do the time trial circuit. If I was his age again I would be laughing.
    Then again he seems to have sold all his gear on here now under a different username so perhaps he's out for good. Perhaps some people don't miss it once they quit.
  • sturmey wrote:
    You're never too old to have a go at racing.

Definitely more risk of crashing in road racing mixing it with all the youngsters and psychos which is why many of us stick to testing instead.

The poster who got bitter and has given it all up in his thirties after one crash needs to have a rethink as he is still relatively young compared to most people who do the time trial circuit. If I was his age again I would be laughing.
    Then again he seems to have sold all his gear on here now under a different username so perhaps he's out for good. Perhaps some people don't miss it once they quit.

who are you referring to? Names else it's a BS post, and that's coming to from a fellow tester (which lets be honest is only really pretend racing for riders that cant keep pace with a bunch - PB's an all that crap!!)
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    who are you referring to?

are you kidding..? don't tell me you can't work it out....
  • Pseudonym wrote:
    who are you referring to?

are you kidding..? don't tell me you can't work it out....

Of course I can, just it's irritating to keep knocking the guy in that snipey way.
  • JoeBond
    JoeBond Posts: 20
    ...coming to from a fellow tester (which lets be honest is only really pretend racing for riders that cant keep pace with a bunch - PB's an all that crap!!)
    Crikey. Now there's a statement worthy of it's own thread!
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    Yes, that Cancellara - he’s rubbish
  • ju5t1n wrote:
    Yes, that Cancellara - he’s rubbish

This is amateur race, bit different methinks. A bit harsh, but fits about 50% of TT entrants, me included.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    I did my first road race today 3/4 (Im 56). Over 60 started only 26 finished! Numerous accidents and retirements. It started off dry and sunny and then turned to torrential rain. Two riders where taken to hospital. I got held up by the first crash and got dropped. Carried on with two other riders, one of which crashed into a hedge. A lap later I punctured, and was lapped. I changed my tub and kept going solo, I was 25th. If I had stayed in the bunch I may have done better but could have been involved in a crashed so maybe I was lucky. Im kind of pleased I finished but also realise that if I had been fitter and younger I could have got back on the bunch.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • peanut1978
    peanut1978 Posts: 1,031
    no way should he be banned, simply giving his opinions and views which seem pretty valid.
    I choose to do TTs as I have young kids and an financial responsibilities.
    Cat 4 races seem to have a lot of crashes due to guys who cant ride in groups
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    NapolenD, I've not been following this so i'm a bit out of the loop but I'm really sorry to hear about your crash. Could happen to anyone but it's one of the reasons I've probably packed in racing. Good luck with the recovery.
  • bexslack
    bexslack Posts: 81
    inseine wrote:
    NapolenD, I've not been following this so i'm a bit out of the loop but I'm really sorry to hear about your crash. Could happen to anyone but it's one of the reasons I've probably packed in racing. Good luck with the recovery.

+ 1. I don't come on this forum very often so hadn't heard of your crash. Get well soon NapoleanD!!! xxx

And to the O.P. - I didn't own a bike until I was 41 but have been lucky enough to win the odd race since then.....
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    peanut1978 wrote:
    no way should he be banned, simply giving his opinions and views which seem pretty valid.
    I choose to do TTs as I have young kids and an financial responsibilities.
    Cat 4 races seem to have a lot of crashes due to guys who cant ride in groups

So does the Tour de France
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo