Cycling To Do lists - What's on yours?

Comments

• markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    For 2011
    Get a TT bike= done
    Go under 24 mins for 10TT= WIP
    Do a century on my single speed= done(5h 33m)
    Do my first 25TT= need to send off my entry
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    LEJOG on my 50th. I have 4 years to go. My problem is that my late father in law did the LEJOG a few times and the last one was under 4 days so there is a family expectation that timeframe is the standard to aspire to. Hence, I have 4 years of prepping them into thinking 2 weeks is much more reasonable, or training like a demon.
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    NapoleonD wrote:
    It was get to 2nd cat and do a 20min 10 but I've jacked in racing.
    I'd also hoped to do Ventoux but I can't see it happening :(

If you don't mind me asking, how comes dude? Thought you were rocking it. Motivation gone a bit?
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    A trip thro' the Dolomites inc. the Stelvio.

SwissAlps jnc' that cobbled climb that's always pictured.

Sardinia/Corsica/Tuscany/Alpes Maritime
    M.Rushton
  • holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    Off to France (driving) on Saturday, target Alp de Heuz
    Madelaine after that, what other famous one's are in the Vicinity?
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    there are the climbs around the Tros Vallees up to Courchevel, Val Thorens or Valmorel. If you cycle up to Albertville you could go along the Beaufort valley and climb the Saisies or the Cormet de Roselend. If you go down the Tarentaise valley to Bourg St.Maurice you could head over the other side of Cormet de Roselend, up the Petiti Col St.Bernard to La Thuile or right up to the Iseran
    M.Rushton
  • dodgerdog
    dodgerdog Posts: 292
    My list is:

Short term:
    complete first 100mile sportive

Medium Term:
    JOGLE
    Ventoux
    Etape/Marmotte/a eurpoean classic sportive
    Repeat the Rte du Col trip Biarritz - Perpignan

Long term:
    Retire and cycle through the spring UK - Greece - Rhine/Alps/Danube et al
    Also do the E12(if I have the right one) Portugal to Turkey
    Allez Triple (hairy with mudguards) - FCN 4
    Ribble Gran Fondo
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Still doing it at 80 and also cycling around a bit too. :shock:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Tonymufc wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

If you don't mind me asking, how comes dude? Thought you were rocking it. Motivation gone a bit?

Broke my back and my collar bone in a crash at a race caused by someone else's crap riding. I wasn't even near the initial crash and I was near the front of the bunch where it's, apparently, much safer...
    Landed on my head/shoulder having gone over the handlebars at 28mph, my back was curved over as I landed.
    Lucky that I'm not paralysed or have head injuries, helmet (a Spesh S-Works Prevail, brand new worn for the first time) possibly saved my life. It broke into many pieces and I have no head injuries save a little concussion.
    Can't risk it happening again due to career/3 kids to support. Already looking like I'm going to lose my current (dream) posting. Livid isn't a strong enough word. Reported to BC but not doing anything due to lack of information.

Anyhoo I digress. I broke my leg rather badly 2 years ago and after that my motivation to get back on the bike was massive, I entered a club '10' 10 weeks later and did a PB 14 weeks later.

This time my motivation has completely and utterly gone. I'm contemplating selling my TT bike and all the training eqpt (powermeter etc) and just having a basic road bike to go out for the odd bimble. I don't even give a sh1t about my fitness/weight. This has unfortunately coincided with a really bad period in relation to work/money (despite it being as good a posting as it gets) so everything is rock bottom at the moment.

Now, where's that cake?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    holmeboy wrote:

Head SE out of Bourg d'Oisans and you go on a cracking road through La Grave, Up the Lauteret then hang a left at the big cafe/restaurant up the Galibier.

Boodiful!
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Tonymufc wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Broke my back and my collar bone in a crash at a race caused by someone else's crap riding. I wasn't even near the initial crash and I was near the front of the bunch where it's, apparently, much safer...
    Landed on my head/shoulder having gone over the handlebars at 28mph, my back was curved over as I landed.
    Lucky that I'm not paralysed or have head injuries, helmet (a Spesh S-Works Prevail, brand new worn for the first time) possibly saved my life. It broke into many pieces and I have no head injuries save a little concussion.
    Can't risk it happening again due to career/3 kids to support. Already looking like I'm going to lose my current (dream) posting. Livid isn't a strong enough word. Reported to BC but not doing anything due to lack of information.

Anyhoo I digress. I broke my leg rather badly 2 years ago and after that my motivation to get back on the bike was massive, I entered a club '10' 10 weeks later and did a PB 14 weeks later.

This time my motivation has completely and utterly gone. I'm contemplating selling my TT bike and all the training eqpt (powermeter etc) and just having a basic road bike to go out for the odd bimble. I don't even give a sh1t about my fitness/weight. This has unfortunately coincided with a really bad period in relation to work/money (despite it being as good a posting as it gets) so everything is rock bottom at the moment.

Now, where's that cake?

Sorry to here of your probs mate, keep the posts coming though.
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    LEJOG , by the time I'm 50

Then Tourmalet, Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez and Stelvio before I'm 60

Bloody Hell, I better get a move on
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    NapoleonD wrote:
    holmeboy wrote:

Head SE out of Bourg d'Oisans and you go on a cracking road through La Grave, Up the Lauteret then hang a left at the big cafe/restaurant up the Galibier.

Boodiful!

Don't forget the Glandon/Croix de Fer!

croix.jpg
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    NapoleonD wrote:

Now, where's that cake?

You mentioned in your earlier post that you wanted to do Ventoux but thought that it wouldn’t happen now. I can understand with what’s happened why you don’t want to race again, but why not Ventoux? I think I got a far greater sense of achievement in getting to the top of Ventoux than in any of the racing I ever did. But I hope that you get back on the bike soon and don’t eat too much cake in the meantime!
  • RickyG
    RickyG Posts: 58
    Mine would probably be:

Marmotte (hopefully tick off this July)
    Alpe d'huez (included in the above)
    England Coast to Coast
    Mont Ventoux
    10m TT
    Richmond Park 3lap challenge
    200km in a day
    Attempt Alto de L'Angliru
    Strava name: Richard Gawthorpe
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Buy a house in the pyrenees and ride every pass before I retire :D

I am saving hard.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Passo di Stelvio 8)
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Tonymufc wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Now, where's that cake?

Really sorry to hear that pal. I really hope that things turn around for you and you can re-find your motivation, not just cycling related but in life generally.
  • London-Brighton this weekend.
    115 miles around London, end of September.
    As many 50 milers as I can this year.
    MTB in the Pyrenees probably next.
    One day, a Polaris or some such with my daughter.

Repeat to fade:)
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Learn to ride without stabilisers.
  • mog1404
    mog1404 Posts: 60
    get a road bike, do a sportive, Tourmalet, Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez
  • At risk of hijacking the thread, I have been thinking are there overseas equivalents to LEJOG? I know this island is somewhat well delineated in this respect but e.g. Italy must have something similar. And just imagine the food.
    Any ideas?
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    Thanks for the tips guys, will have to write them all down and take list with me.

NapD, I had a stable fracture of a lower Lumber (along with a shattered hip and dislocated leg) in 2004, it (eventually) led to me cycling more now than I've ever done and given me more enjoyment than I probally deserve . Take One day at a time, you and the bike WILL be re-united.
  • Eyorerox
    Eyorerox Posts: 43
    for bobtbuider look at this
    Stelvio no hands
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV4MJok1_2o
    And smell the glove could try Cape Reinga to Bluff.
  • zippypablo
    zippypablo Posts: 398
    At risk of hijacking the thread, I have been thinking are there overseas equivalents to LEJOG? I know this island is somewhat well delineated in this respect but e.g. Italy must have something similar. And just imagine the food.
    Any ideas?
    have a look at the Raid Pyreneean
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • dodgerdog
    dodgerdog Posts: 292
    Just found the Haute Route - got to go on the long term aspirations.

Geneve - Nice with 15 legendary Col! :roll: :shock: :D:wink:
    Allez Triple (hairy with mudguards) - FCN 4
    Ribble Gran Fondo
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    For those looking for the ultimate challenge, how about the Cent Cols?

http://centcolschallenge.com/challenge/

No doubt it will be more expensive and more of a challenge than most mere mortals can meet.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    Get back on the bike
    The Etape
    Ventoux
    Alp D'Huez
    Maratona dles Dolomites
    Paris Roubaix (depending on if they do a challenge in 2013 - no way my arm will take it next year)
    Vatternrundan
    Mount Lemmon
    Pacific Coast Highway
    Canada coast-to-coast

:shock:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Crapaud wrote:
    Vancouver to Inuvik in the arctic circle.

Plans are afoot, but it's probably some time away yet.

There'll be a lot of very, very dull riding in that. Unless you like nothing to see but pine forest for several days. I considered driving it the other year but common sense prevailed :lol:

The good bits would be ace though.......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Rolf, I like the idea of cycling through unspoilt wilderness. It's not a direct route, but goes out to Victoria, then a ferry to Alaska - the real route starts there. If I do it, it'll be part of other cyclng in the Rockies and somewhere further east. That's the plan anyway.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill