David Millar did a lap of Richmond Park on Sunday...

Comments

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Zav wrote:
    I like David Millar normally, but wasn't he a tad arrogant in the interview afterwards? "My cycling club" - "not many pros around" - well maybe, but some of the quick Dynamo guys are doing 16 min laps and better on road bikes?

Agree with that, there are plenty of amateurs who could probably scrape under 16 minutes on a road bike, so to suggest that his time is untouchable seemed a bit cocky. I won't be threatening it any time soon, but I'm sure there are other "non-pros" who could.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    At that speed on my quickest lap (anti-clockwise starting at Roehampton Gate) I'd be somewhere near the top of Dark Hill as he was finishing. :(:(:(
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • sketchley
    BigMat wrote:
    Zav wrote:
    I like David Millar normally, but wasn't he a tad arrogant in the interview afterwards? "My cycling club" - "not many pros around" - well maybe, but some of the quick Dynamo guys are doing 16 min laps and better on road bikes?

Agree with that, there are plenty of amateurs who could probably scrape under 16 minutes on a road bike, so to suggest that his time is untouchable seemed a bit cocky. I won't be threatening it any time soon, but I'm sure there are other "non-pros" who could.

Not sure I agree. He had just been complemented on a quick time, which he then played down, implication being that it wasn't that quick and he's not super human. Isn't that modesty not arrogance?
    --
    Chris

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Sketchley wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    Zav wrote:

Not sure I agree. He had just been complemented on a quick time, which he then played down, implication being that it wasn't that quick and he's not super human. Isn't that modesty not arrogance?
    Not sure it's correct but I'd heard that Hutchinson's fastest lap was a short 14. Not many amateurs are going to beat that...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • bigmat
    It maybe just came across badly - bearing in mind I watched that interview at work with the sound pretty low! I guess its easy to lose sight of how much of a difference 1 minute is over that kind of distance, never mind 2 or 3.
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    what is the exact distance round richmond? 7 miles?

13:35 ..that is an average speed of 31.1 mph (49.8 kph)

i wonder what his max speed was????
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    BigMat wrote:
    Zav wrote:

Mere mortals won't get near his time. Also it wasn't a 'full on' TT for him. I bet he could knock a minute of that time if he went about as say his Giro TT win.

Maybe Wiggo or Cancellara fancies ago then maybe it'll get broken.
  • dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 290
    linky no worky
    B'Twin Sport 1
    FCN 7 =4, +2(non cycling clothes) +1(beard)
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    Link not working for me.
  • sketchley
    Fastest prologue in TDF was 34.27 mph over 4.47 miles. All thing being equal (which they are not) this does suggest a lap of 12m12s is possible if my maths are correct.
    --
    Chris

• grantstats
    grantstats Posts: 43
    I suggest a TopGear style celebrity cyclist Fastest Lap time board- as Millar did it from a standing start. This could put it into perspective about whether they are going full speed or not. The question is who could be our Stig? Graham Obree? Any other suggestions?
    FCN 4
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    Grantstats wrote:
    I suggest a TopGear style celebrity cyclist Fastest Lap time board- as Millar did it from a standing start. This could put it into perspective about whether they are going full speed or not. The question is who could be our Stig? Graham Obree? Any other suggestions?

haha, that is actually a really good idea!
    lap time
    direction
    wind
    FCN
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Unfortunately they've taken the video down - unless someone else can find it again? Maybe someone pointed out that Millar was actually breaking the law? ;)
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Grantstats wrote:
    Robert Millar
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    JonGinge wrote:
    Grantstats wrote:
    Robert Millar
    If you can find him
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    kelsen wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    Grantstats wrote:
    Robert Millar
    If you can find him
    If you can find her.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    snailracer wrote:
    kelsen wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    Grantstats wrote:
    Robert Millar
    If you can find him
    If you can find her.
    :lol:
  • Medders
    Medders Posts: 152
    well he has been known to post on these boards...

Riding:
    Canyon Nerve AL9.9 2014
    Honda CBR600f 2013
    Condor Fratello 2010
    Cervelo RS 2009
    Specialized Rockhopper Pro 2008
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Did you ask him how he found being on this series of The Apprentice and if he'd enjoyed lugging rubbish around with Jim on yesterdays show.
    I'm not the only one who thinks they could be twins then :wink:
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    BBC have taken the story down :(

Anyone able to find any video of this?
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    JonGinge wrote:
    holy moly, mroli. I go ~30secs quicker a lap once warmed up...

Yes - I was thinking that, and about the splits you & CJ put up not so long ago. Millar would surely go sub 40 for the 3LC. I doubt many amateurs who could get within a respectable margin of his one lap time could then wind it up for another two...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Greg66 wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

Yes - I was thinking that, and about the splits you & CJ put up not so long ago. Millar would surely go sub 40 for the 3LC. I doubt many amateurs who could get within a respectable margin of his one lap time could then wind it up for another two...

Also, wouldn't he have had a headwind up Sawyer's? I can't remember a favourable wind direction for a while. If so, that's not even optimum conditions. Holy sheeeeet.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    DId 2 laps tonight which really put this intp perspective. The fastest of the 2 (flying start) was 18:22. My fastest ever is 18:01. Millar was 5 minutes faster than that. OK, so he was on an aero TT bike, but that's a massive engine he's got turning those pedals.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    cjcp wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

Also, wouldn't he have had a headwind up Sawyer's? I can't remember a favourable wind direction for a while. If so, that's not even optimum conditions. Holy sheeeeet.

True, but when you saw the head-on shots of Millar and Graham Bell, it was like looking at Laurel and Hardy. There's nothing to Millar's upper body. He looked thinner than his frame set.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • bigmat
    Sub 40?! :shock:

I guess it might be possible for him in optimum conditions, but his 1 lap time suggests that he'd need to pick up his pace a bit!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    BigMat wrote:

I guess it might be possible for him in optimum conditions, but his 1 lap time suggests that he'd need to pick up his pace a bit!

:lol: I have visions of someone shouting from the verge, "Oi! Millar! Mush, mush! Get a move on, will you?! Haven't got all day, you know."

Aside from being warmed up a bit more, he could also knock some time off as he got to know the Park.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • sketchley
    Last night my legs were hurting and was not having a good lap, glanced down at Garmin at Kingston Gate found myself thinking f**K Millar had already finished at this point. Almost gave up there and then but carried on round for a poor 23 min lap.
    --
    Chris

• mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    apparently the Parks Police complained about the vid and that's why it's been taken down.

I didn't get a chance to see it so if there's another copy out there somewhere I would love a link to it.
    FCN = 4
  • bigmat
    cjcp wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

:lol: I have visions of someone shouting from the verge, "Oi! Millar! Mush, mush! Get a move on, will you?! Haven't got all day, you know."

Aside from being warmed up a bit more, he could also knock some time off as he got to know the Park.

Also his lap was from a standing start, so 3 flying laps might see him knock a chunk off. Still not sure about 40 minutes though!
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Rather sad that the Parks Police would complain but hey. Given they're not going to shift the Olympics TT to RP, next best chance of seeing pro racing there is to persuade the Tour of Britain to hold a time trial in the park, either one lap as a prologue or as a longer 3-lap as the main time trial. Would pay good money to see that.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"