David Millar did a lap of Richmond Park on Sunday...

keyser__soze
keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
edited March 2014 in Commuting chat
...and rode it in 13m35s from a standing start! Fortunately it looked like the park police weren't around pulling people over for speeding. Their club then went off to Box Hill, which explains why I saw lots of people in matching kit going the other way during the Addiscombe sportive.

Video of a bit of it here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cycling/13698367.stm
Surprised Graham Bell went round in just over 19 minutes - his form looked pretty poor. Not sure about Millar's post-ride garb either.

Anyone know of a faster lap by anyone?
"Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
"Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"

Comments

• Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Curse it. That is fast! I once did a 13m37s*

* In the car
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    13:35? Sketchley goes quicker than that on his hybrid!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

I wish..... :lol::lol:
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • EKE_38BPM
    Sketchley wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

I wish..... :lol::lol:

I think just about everyone on Bike Radar wishes.

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I've done 16:45 on standard road bike (and that was as part of a 3 lap ride,not a one-lapper), all that time trial gear has to be worth 3 minutes a lap, right?! :D
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    BigMat wrote:
    I've done 16:45 on standard road bike (and that was as part of a 3 lap ride,not a one-lapper), all that time trial gear has to be worth 3 minutes a lap, right?! :D

...and he only did one lap, bit of a cop out really!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    BigMat wrote:

At that speed, 3 minutes is about a 1.5mile lead.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    kelsen wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

To be fair, I've always found in Richmond Park that I can maintain my pace for up to an hour but find it really difficult to increase that pace for a 20 minute burst - my fastest average speed for a 3-lapper (23.2mph) is only just slower than my fastest average speed for the 10.4 mile time-trial they do there (23.5mph).
  • keyser__soze
    He did say in his interview that it was the first time he's ever been there. I presume he did a handful of laps as warm-up/recce.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    wtf was he wearing on his head (off the bike) :lol:
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    BigMat wrote:
    kelsen wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

To be fair, I've always found in Richmond Park that I can maintain my pace for up to an hour but find it really difficult to increase that pace for a 20 minute burst - my fastest average speed for a 3-lapper (23.2mph) is only just slower than my fastest average speed for the 10.4 mile time-trial they do there (23.5mph).
    I find this, too. I'm just a bit of a diesel
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Love to see any data for his lap.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    How pissed off was the guy at 1.55 do you reckon?! Tucked in nicely and thinks he's flying and Millar goes past like he's standing still!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • keyser__soze
    It looked a very unofficial turn-up-and-ride style event, no idea if they got permission from the park to hold it. I know they've frowned upon TTing down Broomfield in the past because all the small wooden posts stopping cars parking off the road are considered dangerous should a cyclist fall and hit one. I'd have loved the Olympic TT to have been a three-lap challenge!
  • EKE_38BPM
    If he didn't know the course, that is more impressive, but as has been said, he probably did a recce lap.

Suzy, that thing is called a hat!
    DM seems to have a offbeat fashion sense, have you seen the glasses he's wearing in the video about him calling the doping police medieval. He's got a Joe 90 vibe going on.

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    ...and rode it in 13m35s from a standing start! Fortunately it looked like the park police weren't around pulling people over for speeding. Their club then went off to Box Hill, which explains why I saw lots of people in matching kit going the other way during the Addiscombe sportive.

Video of a bit of it here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cycling/13698367.stm
    Surprised Graham Bell went round in just over 19 minutes - his form looked pretty poor. Not sure about Millar's post-ride garb either.

Anyone know of a faster lap by anyone?

How did you do on the Adiscombe Sportive? I did that too! Lovely scenery, shame about the weather. I started at about 9.45 so got hit by the rain....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • keyser__soze
    Headhuunter, was riding with the missus so a wee bit slower than if I'd been giving it the beans on my own, but she's getting faster each week and it's only a matter of time until she's waiting for me. We set off at 8.50 and had a couple of long breaks, finishing in roughly 5h50 but with a moving time of 5h15. Enjoyed the ride - the hills seemed much easier this time round than on the Wiggle Ups/Downs a month ago, but the section from Box Hill to the finish seemed to drag in the rain. Nice club feel to the event.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Headhuunter, was riding with the missus so a wee bit slower than if I'd been giving it the beans on my own, but she's getting faster each week and it's only a matter of time until she's waiting for me. We set off at 8.50 and had a couple of long breaks, finishing in roughly 5h50 but with a moving time of 5h15. Enjoyed the ride - the hills seemed much easier this time round than on the Wiggle Ups/Downs a month ago, but the section from Box Hill to the finish seemed to drag in the rain. Nice club feel to the event.

Yeah I did it with a friend of a guy at work who is training for the London to Paris ride in a couple of weeks, he did a 150k ride on the Sat and then the Addiscombe on the Sun. Needless to say he was a bit slow. We did it in about 6h30mins moving time was probably around 5h45 ish - we had a couple of punctures which took a while to sort out and stopped at the food stop in that village hall/school for a while...

5h50 sounds pretty quick if you were taking it easy. Nice route though, I would have bee quite a lot quicker if I'd been on my own, wasn't knackered at the end at all really. Leith/Box and White whatever it was hills at the end were stings in the tail though!

Well organised althougth they didn't seem to have energy drink at the feed stops - just water and some of the signage was a bit last minute - overshot a couple of turns, had to stop, turn and come back....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    a beret????
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    looks pretty quiet in teh park.
  • kelsen
    How pissed off was the guy at 1.55 do you reckon?! Tucked in nicely and thinks he's flying and Millar goes past like he's standing still!

:lol: Promptly came out of the aero position to avoid any further embarrassment!

C'mon, own up, was it anyone here? It's a claim to fame to be captured on video being overtaken by champion time triallist anyway.
  • (Sorry to drag off topic)

Yeah I did it with a friend of a guy at work who is training for the London to Paris ride in a couple of weeks, he did a 150k ride on the Sat and then the Addiscombe on the Sun. Needless to say he was a bit slow. We did it in about 6h30mins moving time was probably around 5h45 ish - we had a couple of punctures which took a while to sort out and stopped at the food stop in that village hall/school for a while...

5h50 sounds pretty quick if you were taking it easy. Nice route though, I would have bee quite a lot quicker if I'd been on my own, wasn't knackered at the end at all really. Leith/Box and White whatever it was hills at the end were stings in the tail though!

Well organised althougth they didn't seem to have energy drink at the feed stops - just water and some of the signage was a bit last minute - overshot a couple of turns, had to stop, turn and come back....
    Glad you both enjoyed it. Re. energy drink at the stops, well it's something that some people are fussy about if you have the wrong brand. Only a couple of people asked (I was the fat bloke manning the 2nd feed stop with the two lads).

We're going to have a bit of a post-mortem soon to see what can be improved for next time. Either PM me or mail Alan with comments (so as not to derail this thread).

Back on topic: I've only ridden round Richmond Park once. Getting through some of the bends at speed looks ... interesting. As someone who rides 1:04 for a 25, people like Millar are scary.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I heard from someone that was there that Millar did his lap from cold, without a warm up.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    holy moly, mroli. I go ~30secs quicker a lap once warmed up...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • kelsen
    I heard that when he went through Dark Hill, he created a vortex of such magnitude that all the squirrels immediately grabbed their nuts and went into early hibernation.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Look, he started on the really nice flat bit by Roehampton Gate, which means he was nicely warmed up for the awesomely difficult climb that is Dark Hill. Let's see how he fares when he starts off at Kingston Gate roundabout*. Pah!

*I may start off at this point. I'm not bitter at all.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Zav
    Zav Posts: 28
    I like David Millar normally, but wasn't he a tad arrogant in the interview afterwards? "My cycling club" - "not many pros around" - well maybe, but some of the quick Dynamo guys are doing 16 min laps and better on road bikes?
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Did you ask him how he found being on this series of The Apprentice and if he'd enjoyed lugging rubbish around with Jim on yesterdays show.
  • kelsen
    Zav wrote:
    I like David Millar normally, but wasn't he a tad arrogant in the interview afterwards? "My cycling club" - "not many pros around" - well maybe, but some of the quick Dynamo guys are doing 16 min laps and better on road bikes?

Not really.

1) It's his private cycling club as opposed to Garmin-Cervélo, his pro team.
    2) Still not quite sub-14 though is it, and probably not even if they were on TT bikes. If somebody was able to get close to the time he set, chances are they'd be in the pro ranks as well.

Both matter of fact statements.

If you though that was arrogant, wait til you hear an interview with the pro sprinters!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I suspect the same goes for most pros, but the year Millar won the National Road Race (four years ago, near Abergavenny, was it?), someone remarked that trying to follow his wheel was like to follow a motorbike. I think Millar broke away with another chap and it was this other chap who said it.

At that speed, if we both started at Kingston Gate r'about, I would only just have turned at Richmond Gate r'about by the time he'd finished.

Oh my.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."