:lol: Just to lighten the mood, I found this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90VyvOhP ... re=related
    Whilst looking for slo-mo vids on youtube

Totall unrelated but pretty cool :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Jedi wrote:
    how old are you? i have answered your queries
    No, you haven't. What is it about landing with both wheels that prevents a rider's head from rolling forwards?
    As far as I can see, nothing. But you keep saying a rider's head rolls forwards in rear wheel landings, as if to suggest it doesn't otherwise.

Actually, in answer to Northwind's question earlier about what happens when you land crossed on the rear wheel, whilst moving. Er... Check out Danny Megaskill's inspired bikes video again - he does it a lot, actually.
  • Jedi
    Jedi Posts: 827
    there are no beginings to your talents
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    rather than just pick one of our sides

Oh dear. There aren't any sides. There's just opinions, and mine happens to be more in line with Jedi's than yours. Though you're both making an utter bollocks of the thread in all honesty.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Northwind wrote:
    rather than just pick one of our sides

Oh dear. There aren't any sides. There's just opinions, and mine happens to be more in line with Jedi's than yours. Though you're both making an utter bollocks of the thread in all honesty.
    Are you misunderstanding intentionally to fan flames, or not? All to often I can't tell with you.
    By choosing sides, I mean, don't "just believe" wither of us. Go try it. You have a bike, a lid, an outside. Go put them together.

In the meantime, I'm watching "inspired" again, I'd forgotten how awesome this was! :shock:
    (wherein, the rider lands rear wheel first a lot of the time, and also both wheels at the same time a lot of the time - whether moving or doing a static drop, or even 360s)
  • Fenred
    Fenred Posts: 428
    Whatever wheel you land on ...ALWAYS make sure your brake levers are covered!! :D
  • Anonymous
    Jedi wrote:
    there are no beginings to your talents
    Put your handbag away, darlin'. :roll:
  • Northwind
    By choosing sides, I mean, don't "just believe" wither of us. Go try it. You have a bike, a lid, an outside. Go put them together.

Nobody needs to fan flames when you're around! I'm happy enough going off past experience thanks, rather than running outside in the rain.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Northwind wrote:

Nobody needs to fan flames when you're around! I'm happy enough going off past experience thanks, rather than running outside in the rain.
    Did you catch the bit about Danny's "inspired"?
    Go check it out. It answers your earlier questions.
  • Northwind
    I think you probably realise this, but just on the offchance... Asking a question doesn't neccesarily mean you don't know the answer- sometimes you want people to consider the question and to work it out themselves.

When your schoolteachers said "What's 2+2", they did know the answer was 4- though I imagine you sent them loads of videos off the internet and said "Look you spastic, it's 4, I can't believe they let you be a teacher not knowing that".

The OP asked a question and I don't think he's trying to work out how to land 360s down the festival square stairs somehow.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Northwind wrote:
    When your schoolteachers said "What's 2+2", they did know the answer was 4- though
    but in your case, you were suggesting it wasn't 4. You were questioning the conclusion.
    Questioning is fine. I provided an answer - I then asked if you had seen the answer, and I'm curious as to your response to it.
  • Northwind
    Er,no, I wasn't. You might want to read the posts again?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Er... this you mean?
    Northwind wrote:
    Now... What happens if you're landing crossed up or otherwise at an angle (hip jump maybe, or a bit of styling ending badly, or just a bad jump) and you land rear first? Landing rear first causes problems, or rather makes the existing problem worse, landing nose first regains control as the rear will follow the front when it lands.
    The kinds of drops to flat I'm thinking of would cause a crash if you landed crossed up on any combination of wheels. Absorbing the impact most effectively does not negate rider skill. It's still your call as a rider whether something's recoverable, or if it's time to bail out.

Yeah, I answered it. Then I asked if you'd checked out Danny's video to see it in action. Now I'm interested to see your thoughts, or comments on it.
    But you seem to be avoiding the subject.
  • Northwind
    Er... this you mean?.

Yes, that's it exactly- what conclusion am I supposed to be questioning there?

As for "avoiding the subject"- the subject, is the OP asking about landing jumps while mountain biking. Danny's video is great but it's not useful for that. The moves Danny's doing aren't comparable to normal riding, so itself is avoiding the subject. If he'd asked "How can I drop 30 feet into a car park" then it'd be more valid.

Yes, he lands moves while either crossed up or under rotation, and by preparing for it and being extremely good, he makes them stick. In the final edit, anyway. The best example is the big stair 360- if you watch the making of, you get to see him ride that landing straight into the wall :lol:

But, he's doing moves that require the rear-first landing, which makes the loss of control worthwhile, or rather inevitable. That doesn't mean it's the right option for every landing. I doubt you disagree with that.

At 1:20 he lands a drop going backwards, I wouldn't recommend that either.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Why are his drops not comparable to normal riding? Even drops or landing when he's not twisting are landed rear wheel first if possible - whilst moving forward. Perfect example is the transfer across the walkway from one bank to another.

Just because he's unnatainably good doesn't make his technique of landing a drop, or absorbing an impact any less worthwhile.
    His riding is as such a high level, and so precise that we can be pretty certain there's method behind his technique. And one of his methods is landing drops rear wheel first.

The subject is landing drops. I maintain that drops to flat, when large enough to require a "technique", other than just falling and hoping for the best, are best landed rear wheel first.
    Jedi came in and said the rear wheel first landing only aplied to static landings - So I demonstrated that people who really know how to stick landings, do so quite often with the rear wheel.

How is that off subject? I don't agree with Jedi's "two wheels or front first, ALWAYS" approach. And I'm offering examples of the technique being used. (and a water ballon being smashed over a moby lookalike's fae in slo-mo :D )
    His only counter-argument so far, is as airtight as a sieve.
  • Northwind
    So what conclusion was I questioning again?
    How is that off subject? I don't agree with Jedi's "two wheels or front first, ALWAYS" approach..

Neither do I tbh. Though I'm not sure if that was supposed to be a boiled-down simplification for the OP or something.

But I reckon that for everyday trail riding, landing in greatest control is the priority, because the size of the impacts doesn't justify the sacrifice of control. Massive drops to flat are very rare after all. Totally agree that there's a point where it becomes the only technique- but since most riders just won't reach that point, I think that's a bit of a sideshow

As for Danny... Interestingly, when you watch him on a mountain bike, it's very different- if you watch the nan bield video frinstance, he lands everything 2-wheeled or nose first. Though there's only 1 big flat landing so it's hard to compare to be fair.

The fact that he's so skilled is relevant, because a skilled rider can use techniques that a less skilled rider can't, and deal with circumstances that'd floor us. And of course the moves are designed to look good rather than being purely functional- if you want to talk about best ways, the best way off a wall isn't a frontflip.

For another thing, he's riding an unsuspended bike- landing 2-wheeled on a hardtail allows the suspension to work on the initial landing, and on a full suss allows more of the suspension to work. (on a full suss a rear-first landing might mess with carefully thought out axle paths too, though I'm not too sure about that one) Your arms and legs give you more travel than your suspension in most cases of course, but they all combine.

But the bottom line is, we're not riding like that out on the trails. And neither is he from what I've seen.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    ffs, Jei's right. We're talking about mtbs and landing drops at speed here. If you watched the world cup at Leogang and saw some of the drops, for instance that step down about halfway down the course you'll see that they were all landing front wheel first. Yes, with trials you land rear wheel first but that's with no pace. At speed even a flat flanding should be both wheels together. Yeeha, do you just like causing arguements?
  • aaronmroach
    aaronmroach Posts: 341
    It was front wheel first but it was also onto a profiled decline.

No one is disputing that on an exit ramp, decline or vert etc.. you land front first or both together ensuring the bike follows the profile what me and yeehamcgee were saying was that onto a complete flat floor like a carpark, road, pavement the best option is to put the bike down rear first and absorb the shock with your legs.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    You won't win with mcgee, ask him about skidding the rear wheel.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Anonymous
    ffs, Jei's right. We're talking about mtbs and landing drops at speed here. If you watched the world cup at Leogang and saw some of the drops, for instance that step down about halfway down the course you'll see that they were all landing front wheel first.
    The step down into the downslope was being nosed in, or both wheels at the same time, but there was a jump to almost flat (where Peaty nearly wiped out the cameraman), where a lot of them were landing rear wheel first.

If you watch a lot of racing, even MX racing, then you'll notice that the riders will always lower the rear wheel if they've overshot the landing. It lessens the time the bike is in free-fall, and it elongates the amount of time from impacting the floor, to coming to a complete vertical halt - like a crumple zone in a car does in an accident, for example.
  • nozzac
    nozzac Posts: 408
    In Mastering Mountain Bike Skills by Brian Lopes, they say: "On flat landings, get your rear wheel down first. This minimizes your free fall and lets you absorb the landing with your legs. On downhill landings, get your front wheel down first."

I'm fairly certain they are referring to drops at speed because the book has a separate section for slow drops to flat involving wheelying off with the front held high, trial style.

Just thought I'd fan the flames with that info.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There is more than one way to fry a fish - people do things in different ways. There is no blanket 'this is the way to do it'. This can be seen by videos of many different riders. They approach things in different ways. IS what works for YOU.

End of.
This discussion has been closed.