landing on wheels

Rybes
Rybes Posts: 110
edited June 2011 in MTB beginners
mornin all.
ive a question for yas. when doin drop offs and jumps why do you land both wheels at once ? ive always tried to land rear wheel first but since joinin this forum ive been lookin at all sorts of hints and tips and they say both wheels at once. is there a reason for it or is it just personal preference ?
cheers 8)
2004 cinder cone, grey
madison prime seat
3 inch handle bar risers
bg comfort grips
lidl seat pack
diamond back pedals
2009 reba sl's
more to come......

Comments

• aaronmroach
    aaronmroach Posts: 341
    edited June 2011
    It is personal preference, in a way. But I have always been shown and used the following.

If your jumping or dropping onto a run off or down ramp then try to get the bike to follow the profile of the exit slope landing both wheels at the same time. It will stop you falling off the back of the bike or going over the bars if you go too far forward.

If your dropping off a ledge or jumping onto a flat floor then rear wheel first using legs to soak up the impact. Then transfer weight to the front gently to put the front wheel down.

If bunny hoping the rear wheel down ever so slightly earlier than the front, again aids shock absorbtion with legs. If you do put both wheels down at the same time no biggie tho!!!
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    landing both wheels keeps you more stable and you are able to carry more speed away from the drop.
    if you land rear first you then find yourself if a wheelie which you also have to land even if only for a few seconds
  • Rybes
    nice one cheers. makes sense now. gunna have to go out n practice :D
    2004 cinder cone, grey
    madison prime seat
    3 inch handle bar risers
    bg comfort grips
    lidl seat pack
    diamond back pedals
    2009 reba sl's
    more to come......
  • mtb crazy
    mtb crazy Posts: 245
    in the new MTBUK mag theres a dvd with Fabien Barel and he gives good tips on how to land drop offs, but i think it comes down to personal preferance like has already been said. Alot of riding is seeing about how it suits you to do things, i go out alot by myself and love getting tips and advice but just get out there and learn by doing is the best way :wink:
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    I always try to land on my wheels. I've tried the alternative and it's not nice.

:twisted:
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Jedi
    Jedi Posts: 827
    both wheels together or front slightly first.. always
  • Rybes
    are you the jedi who made the how to vid sat on a couch ? if y are ya the one who made me question the way i do it. cheers for all ya replies. my bikes currently halfway between norwich and denmark so as soon as it arrives ill go and see how gracefuly i can fall off, sorry i mean land :lol:
    2004 cinder cone, grey
    madison prime seat
    3 inch handle bar risers
    bg comfort grips
    lidl seat pack
    diamond back pedals
    2009 reba sl's
    more to come......
  • Jedi
    yes that's me :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If your jumping or dropping onto a run off or down ramp then try to get the bike to follow the profile of the exit slope landing both wheels at the same time. It will stop you falling off the back of the bike or going over the bars if you go too far forward.

If your dropping off a ledge or jumping onto a flat floor then rear wheel first using legs to soak up the impact. Then transfer weight to the front gently to put the front wheel down.
    100% bang on the money.

I'd like to see this "jedi" land a trials drop from 15 feet or so to flat, front wheel first :wink:
    No, really, I would.
  • Jedi
    trials is a static propelled sport and you land on the spot.
    we are talking mtb!!!!!!
  • Anonymous
    Jedi wrote:
    ^^O really?

More like "Always... except sometimes"
  • Jedi
    no. mtb is a forwrd motion sport not trials.
    landing wilst still moving forwards
  • aaronmroach

100% bang on the money.

I'd like to see this "jedi" land a trials drop from 15 feet or so to flat, front wheel first :wink:
    No, really, I would.

Why thank yo Mr yeehaamcgee took years of falling of from 93 till 2003 to perfect it!!!!
  • Anonymous
    Jedi wrote:
    no. mtb is a forwrd motion sport not trials.
    landing wilst still moving forwards
    I disagree with you as much as a very disagreeable thing.
  • Jedi
    explain
  • Anonymous
    Jedi wrote:
    explain
    Really?
    Fine. A few things.

When you're dropping to flat, pushing the back of the bike down to meet the ground reduces the time spent falling, before the bike makes contact with the ground.
    It's like jumping off a high wall on your feet, you don't just jump off, you lower yourself till your arris is nearly touching the wall, then as you fall, you extend your legs downwards to meet the ground.
    You can push the rear wheel down far further with your legs than you can using your legs and arms, by nearly standing the bike vertical.
    Your legs are also far stronger than your arms and able to absorb much more of an impact.

If you're landing on a downslope, your deceleration due to the landing impact is drastically reduced, so you CAN absorb it all using your arms as well as your legs, which lets you touch down with both wheels, or slightly front first, maintaing better control of the bike for longer. But for a drop to flat, you're better off using your legs and sacrificing a few moments of control.
  • Jedi
    flat but moving forward = vboth wheels together
  • Anonymous
    Jedi wrote:
    flat but moving forward = vboth wheels together
    Like I said, I disagree.
  • Jedi
    you ride bmx?
    same flat landings on street= botg wheels togetehr

land on flat moving forward on the rear wheel your head goes down on landing, cant see hwere you're going
  • Anonymous
    Your head will go down anyway with a big impact.

I disagree. That is all.
  • Jedi
    your head doesnt go down if your looking where you;'re going!
    lol@ i disagree that's all
  • Anonymous
    Jedi wrote:
    your head doesnt go down if your looking where you;'re going!
    lol@ i disagree that's all

Right then, in a similar passive aggresive vein...

Explain.
  • Jedi
    passive aggressive? because i ask you to quantify why you disagree?
    come on it's bike riding not war
  • Anonymous
    Jedi wrote:
    passive aggressive? because i ask you to quantify why you disagree?
    come on it's bike riding not war
    I'm just kidding :lol:
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    It doesn't matter which wheel lands first so long as you're humming the A-Team theme tune as you're in the air.
  • Jedi
    good point! :lol:
  • Anonymous
    wordnumb wrote:
    It doesn't matter which wheel lands first so long as you're humming the A-Team theme tune as you're in the air.
    :lol:

Making Moto noises works for me too :lol:
  • aaronmroach
    Personally I use the batman theme tune!!!
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Jedi wrote:

I always find when I do land front wheel first I dont get as much air and it looks crap, therefor I usually aim back wheel first to get the front off the ground more in an attempt to make myself look rad awesome.

Usually dont end up looking rad awesome when I more than likely faceplant.
  • Sounds like Yehaaa could benefit from some lesson off Jedi. :lol:
This discussion has been closed.