landing on wheels

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Sounds like Yehaaa could benefit from some lesson off Jedi. :lol:
    I'm still waiting for an explanation of "jedi"
  • aaronmroach
    aaronmroach Posts: 341
    I have to agree with yeehamcgee and my original answer!!!!!!

If you are in a forward motion and wanting to roll out and the landing is profiled (as in a down slope, exit ramp, vert ramp) anything with a decline or incline, the idea is to land both wheels at the same time or front slightly first but get the bike to follow the profile of the landing!!!!!!!

If it is a flat surface no matter wether you are moving forward with great energy or from a static position (as trials) the idea is to lower the front wheel then kick with the your feet effectively lowering the height of the drop. This then aids you to land rear wheel first absorb the impact with your legs put the front down and ride or roll away!!! If you land front first onto a flat surface the cances are you will bend your forks or wash out, both at the same time your going to snap your frame, bend a pedal, bottom out your susension, smack your nuts on the bars or nearly shake your head off!!!!!!!!

Believe me yeehamcgee is talking sense!! It took alot of us over ten years of riding the 90's where wheels were crap suspension was front only for us mortals and was only 80mm max (if you could affor JUDY DH's) and frames were heavy and fragile!!!!!
  • nozzac
    nozzac Posts: 408
    Seems to me Jedi is pretty much agreeing with you but pointing out that slow drops to flat are trials drops and not common in MTB because you tend to be moving forward on your drops, in which case you land roughly flat in relation to the angle of the landing zone, maybe a bit front first.

Is this you jedi: http://www.pinkbike.com/video/5173/

No apparent lack of drop off or other bike skills there...
  • Anonymous
    Quite, but I maintain that you should be aiming to land rear wheel first when dropping to flat when moving or static. The impact is the same, and rear-wheel first allows you to absorb the impact with your legs.
    Like I said, you have full control of the bike for a fraction less than by landing with both wheels, but that's a tradeoff that's worth making, in order to ensure that you DO stay on the bike.
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    nwmlarge wrote:
    what a pointless and boring thread
    And this is unusual how?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Rybes
    Rybes Posts: 110
    nwmlarge wrote:
    what a pointless and boring thread

only borin if ya know what ya doin. as for me, i aint got a clue so its got some good advice for me and it seems as its got a bit heated so its good to watch :lol: cheers for all ya hints n tips i got a lot of ideas to try. now its just findin out what one suits me :D
    2004 cinder cone, grey
    madison prime seat
    3 inch handle bar risers
    bg comfort grips
    lidl seat pack
    diamond back pedals
    2009 reba sl's
    more to come......
  • Anonymous
    It's not got heated. Just some disagreement.
    For moderate drops of a few feet, either jedi's or Aaron's approach will work.
    I still maintain that Aaron's approach works better with huge drops though (Why would trials riders even bother with a similar technique otherwise?)
  • Rybes
    Rybes Posts: 110
    disagrements or heated still been good to see other peoples approach and ideas for drops. few feet ones i can handle but not sure bout huge ones. i am nearly 40 after all :lol:
    2004 cinder cone, grey
    madison prime seat
    3 inch handle bar risers
    bg comfort grips
    lidl seat pack
    diamond back pedals
    2009 reba sl's
    more to come......
  • Jedi
    Jedi Posts: 827
    yeah that's me in the vid.

look at bmx street . they are moving forward and land both wheels first off huge flat drops.
    static drops are trails style as you land at a standstill.
  • yeah that's me in the vid.

I know nothing but he looks like he knows what he's talking about to me - i got vertigo watching that :?

Amazing skills BTW!!
  • mtb crazy
    mtb crazy Posts: 245
    Jedi, thats a brilliant video! How do you manage to keep your balance though?! looks very difficult.
  • Jedi
    i keep moving forward :)
    its 5yrs old that vid, i'm filming another web edit now actually.
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    props for that northshore riding, seriously skinny stuff there. Can't wait for your next one.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The impact is the same, and rear-wheel first allows you to absorb the impact with your legs.

But then even if you land it front-first you still absorb a large part of the impact with your legs.

Now... What happens if you're landing crossed up or otherwise at an angle (hip jump maybe, or a bit of styling ending badly, or just a bad jump) and you land rear first? Landing rear first causes problems, or rather makes the existing problem worse, landing nose first regains control as the rear will follow the front when it lands.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Jedi
    northwind- talks sense
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Jedi wrote:

That's an internet first for for me, reading advice on a forum from someone who can actually back it up with ability
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Jedi
    Jedi wrote:

That's an internet first for for me, reading advice on a forum from someone who can actually back it up with ability

high5!
  • Northwind
    Jedi wrote:
    northwind- talks sense

Pure luck though
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Jedi
    yeah i know but dont piss on your own chips dude ;)
  • Northwind
    edited June 2011
    It's a pre-emptive move- otherwise Yeehaa'll come along and do it in a moment and if there's got to be wee on my chips, I'd rather it was mine.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Jedi
  • Jedi
    fuck sake.
    if you land rear wheel first while moving forwards you will drop your head as soon a sthe front hits. you will then brake.
    if you're on the rear whell you cannot steer
  • Anonymous
    Jedi, what you're saying makes no sense. You're head will drop when landing both wheels as well - because it's a heavier impact, and the fact that your body is tilted more forwards in the riding position to begin with. Things judder under impacts, heads go down.

Saying "but it happens with this technique" doesn't preclude it from happening with other techniques, it's not an either or thing.

AND LIKE I KEEP SAYING, not being able to steer momentarily is a worthy tradeoff, if the alternative is the possibility of not sticking the damned landing AT ALL.
    You might be able to ride, but holy hell you come across as being dense.

Quick search on youtube throws this up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXrCw5ONCws

The rider's only doing a small drop - spool forwards to 25 seconds, he's slowed it down, and ooh, what's that his head's doing?
    Oh yeah, his head's dropping. Fancy that.
  • Jedi
    fuck me i give in . you know more than i do
  • Anonymous
    And here's a better, FAR larger drop, onto a downslope even, both wheels at the same time, notice the dropping head

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea-KnyWn ... re=related
  • Jedi
    he didnt land both wheel stogethr front was on the flat.
    please try harder
  • Anonymous
    Jedi wrote:
    he didnt land both wheel stogethr front was on the flat.
    please try harder
    what, the stair drop? He lands on the stairs, and rolls to flat.

I'd love to hear your theory of what stops heads from rolling forwards when landing both wheels. I'm sure it will revolutionise kinematics.
  • Jedi
    so you know simon kettle?
  • Anonymous
    :roll: No. But I can see the video.
    Are you going to offer a sensible argument discussion?
This discussion has been closed.