Worn seat-post clamp-bolt-thingy, help!

Comments

• jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    The least violent method I can think of would be to immerse the entire bike in concentrated caustic soda for a week or so.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    DDD, if you can't handle the immense power of a Dremmel and you're scared to handle a hammer in case you chip a nail, support your local economy and pay a man to do it.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Dremmels are for artists and pussies. I've got a 12" angle grinder with metal cutting disc that you can borrow. It will make mincemeat of that bolt.

And maybe the seatpost and frame too
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Dremmels are for artists and pussies. I've got a 12" angle grinder with metal cutting disc that you can borrow. It will make mincemeat of that bolt.

And maybe the seatpost and frame too

and the floor, your hand, possibly leg and the wall as it whizzes off...
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Bah, where's your sense od adventure? If you're scared I've got a 6" grinder too. The one that really scares me is the circular saw. That thing looks evil, like it wants to rip the skin from your face and shove it down your throat :twisted:
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    This isn't Karen is it? Is Karen still yours or did she leave you?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    DDDs been gone a long time......do they not have WiFi in A&E?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Surely this is reason enough to buy a new bike?
  • bails87
    Do you reckon he's had some kind of Paddington Bear/table leg type mishap? And now he's trying to find out if you can buy an 85cm seatpost?
    MTB/CX

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    So, woke up at 6.30am this morning and had an urge to tackle this.

I found a screwdriver and followed the advice and sure it all made sense! It could work, didn't though! You see, you have to take into account that I'm 15-stone and the seatpost clamp has been tightened to a point beyond the point it should be (this isn't my carbon seatpost, it's an alu one).

Anyway, because I couldn't make the screwdriver solution work I got stressed, found the hacksaw and attempted to go biblical.

The hacksaw didn't fit in between the clamp so I got upset went back to bed, curled into a ball and sucked my thumb.

Gonna take it to a bike shop...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    So, woke up at 6.30am this morning and had an urge to tackle this.

I found a screwdriver and followed the advice and sure it all made sense! It could work, didn't though! You see, you have to take into account that I'm 15-stone and the seatpost clamp has been tightened to a point beyond the point it should be (this isn't my carbon seatpost, it's an alu one).

Anyway, because I couldn't make the screwdriver solution work I got stressed, found the hacksaw and attempted to go biblical.

The hacksaw didn't fit in between the clamp so I got upset went back to bed, curled into a ball and sucked my thumb.

Gonna take it to a bike shop...

Maybe if you left the tools near the bike and a note asking the mouse to do it? :twisted:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • bails87
    Spary the whole area with WD40/GT85 and try again tomorrow after letting it soak in?
    MTB/CX

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    bails87 wrote:
    Spary the whole area with WD40/GT85 and try again tomorrow after letting it soak in?

this has the added advantage of your house/ flat smelling manly of lube!!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Do you have access to an electric drill? Drill bits? Bike stand or failing that a workmate type bench?You could try drilling the bolt out carefully using a 5mm drill bit starting at the wrecked allen bolt head. The head will come away, and leave the shaft of the bolt. You shold then be able to lever the clamp apart if it does not spring off- and even be able to save the clamp, by replacing the allen bolt. Its what I would do.. but then again, I work in an engineering machine shop.
    The beatings, horsewhippings and torture will continue until performance improves to an acceptable level. This may take some time.
  • bails87
    freakybacon
    Too late for that fancy stuff. It's either WD40 or.....
    161394.gif
    MTB/CX

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Why do you keep posting your fails?
    You've cast yourself as the forum laughing stock/whipping boy.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • DonDaddyD
    Seriously?

I'm not overly hung up on this whole "online persona" thing, I mean, sure, it matters online... But I've never shared what's really personal to me or what really matters and so, for the most part, I don't really care. There has always been a measure of detatchment online, which enables me to have "fun" without things getting too personal. I present myself as a person others would enjoy having a beer with or cycling beside, that's enough I'm not trying to be (or interested in being) 'Da Fonz!'.

But mainly because I have this amazing ability to be able to laugh at myself, it's linked to the fact that I don't take myself as rigidly serious as to be devoid of all humor, fun or have a rod 'up myself'. Or as I call it the "W1-Jeremyrundle-Porgy-Dilemma syndrome".

I have limitiations, I can hold my hands up admit my mistakes and short comings and I believe I'm a better person for being able to do that. I'm human and have failings, I'm comfortable with who I am.

Ensue the Internet ridicule.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    D, I do admire your candidness on this, although perhaps it doesn't tally well with the persona portrayed in your signature?

Back on topic, some penetratin oil (GT85 or WD40 in the absence of) sprayed on the thread where it enters the clamp (the side it screws into) and from the opposite end (if the hole goes right through) will help, but ideally you need something that will give you some force, when I'm stuck like this I use the screwdriver attachments in my socket set on a ratchet.....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • DonDaddyD
    D, I do admire your candidness on this, although perhaps it doesn't tally well with the persona portrayed in your signature?

What that I might stumble upon writing something that is marginally entertaining? Text paints a picture of the person in the minds eye, this being subjective to each individual and their assumption. It is not always a true or accurate representation of the person.

Applying myself in a sprint to the lights is completely different to DIY. Also I'd argue that the vast majority of my generation and younger lack key maintenance skills. How many sub 30yr olds (living in London) who fly desks can change a car tyre, rewire a plug, change over a switch etc.

I can, did and enjoy building my own PC and at one stage built my own website/forum as a hobby.
    Back on topic, some penetratin oil (GT85 or WD40 in the absence of) sprayed on the thread where it enters the clamp (the side it screws into) and from the opposite end (if the hole goes right through) will help, but ideally you need something that will give you some force, when I'm stuck like this I use the screwdriver attachments in my socket set on a ratchet.....

Simon

The WD40 and screwdriver solution will likely work I'll give it a proper try over the weekend.
    Food Chain number = 4

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    [ mainly because I have this amazing ability to be able to laugh at myself, it's linked to the fact that I don't take myself as rigidly serious as to be devoid of all humor, fun or have a rod 'up myself'. Or as I call it the "W1-Jeremyrundle-Porgy-Dilemma syndrome".

in the real world, yes kids that's correct there is a world outside of the t'internet i have a mate who is like a prank monkey of the group. if something is going to go wrong he will be involved somewhere, he never takes him self seriously an like Don said "has the ability to be able to laugh at myself" a thoroughly good bloke

i think its a alpha male thing where blokes always think they can do everything an be the best of everything
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • will3
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    . Also I'd argue that the vast majority of my generation and younger lack key maintenance skills. How many sub 30yr olds (living in London) who fly desks can change a car tyre, rewire a plug, change over a switch etc.

That's really quite depressing.

What happened?
  • bails87
    DDD: A tip for next time, put a bit of grease on the thread of the seatclamp bolt. In fact, go round your bike and grease most bolts, it helps to stop them seizing up.
    MTB/CX

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
    will3 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    . Also I'd argue that the vast majority of my generation and younger lack key maintenance skills. How many sub 30yr olds (living in London) who fly desks can change a car tyre, rewire a plug, change over a switch etc.

What happened?

We started to earn more money so paid people to do things for us or binned stuff and bought new.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • bails87
    will3 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

What happened?

From personal experience, I'd say most of my friends (mostly early-mid 20's graduate types, not a bunch of builders and electricians) could do those things. Well, they could change a wheel, not sure about the actual tyre.

I've got one friend (economics graduate) who converts cars to run on LPG in his spare time, he also helped me service my car a while ago. Another, an actuary, works with a guy who fitted an engine to an old MTB. Individual cases, I know, but still, yoof who are useful!

I think there's also the fact that as a keen cyclist, your mechanical skills might be expected to be above those of someone who works in an office and plays footy in their spare time.
    MTB/CX

• will3
    bails87 wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

What happened?

From personal experience, I'd say most of my friends (mostly early-mid 20's graduate types, not a bunch of builders and electricians) could do those things. Well, they could change a wheel, not sure about the actual tyre.

I've got one friend (economics graduate) who converts cars to run on LPG in his spare time, he also helped me service my car a while ago. Another, an actuary, works with a guy who fitted an engine to an old MTB. Individual cases, I know, but still, yoof who are useful!

I think there's also the fact that as a keen cyclist, your mechanical skills might be expected to be above those of someone who works in an office and plays footy in their spare time.

Faith restored : carry on!
  • bails87
    will3 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

What happened?

We started to earn more money so paid people to do things for us or binned stuff and bought new.

When a light switch breaks you buy a new house!? :shock: :wink:
    MTB/CX

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
    bails87 wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

What happened?

When a light switch breaks you buy a new house!? :shock: :wink:

Funny you should say that. When the light in the kitchen went it was the tipping point which prompted a £13k expenditure on a new kitchen....

For the record I can do all three (assuming DDD means changing a wheel rather than a tyre), though I did ask the forum about replacing a moulded type plug
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DonDaddyD
    bails87 wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

What happened?

Personally I think society moved on and things that were once a hobby or seemed interesting or need to know have become secondary. I've never needed to change a wheel but then I've never needed to drive (until November 2008) what with living in London and even then learning to drive was more a desire thing than necessity.

I don't subscribe to the notion that I need to know how to do these bike related things. If I did somehow instinctively know, there wouldn't be much point to the forum. I asked and demonstrate a desire too know, surely that is the most important thing?

And no, I may not get it exactly right first time, nothing wrong with that either. I think.

Edit: On changing a switch and rewiring a plug. I can count on one finger how many times a fuse has blown. Needless to say technology in that department is far more reliable than say my Dad's day...

Same with changing a light switch.

Both of which I can do, though never needed to do. But they aren't "must know" stuff anymore IMO. Installing Windows onto a computer, setting up a wireless connection, now that's the need to know stuff.
    Food Chain number = 4

• bails87
    If I did somehow instinctively know, there wouldn't be much point to the forum. I asked and demonstrate a desire too know, surely that is the most important thing?

And no, I may not get it exactly right first time either, nothing wrong with that either. I think.

Sorry, I didn't mean that to sound like I was knocking you.

I think most keen cyclists know how to mend/maintain at least some of the stuff on their bike. Just like a 'keen' computer gamer might have an interest in the insides of the computer. It just comes from being interested in the activity.

But like you say, the times they are a changin'. People used to do manual, mechanical jobs, so they'd have the general knowledge they could apply to 'household' jobs. Whereas now people will spend all day behind a computer. So ask someone like that to service the suspension forks on their MTB and you'll get a blank stare, but ask an 'old school' mechaincally brained person to configure a router or set up a pivot table and the repsonse will be the same.

I spend all day doing abstract data-y computer-y things, and it's nice to work on something like a rear mech that's a clever bit of engineering that, once set up, does exactly what it's supposed to.
    MTB/CX

• will3
    bails87 wrote:
    , but ask an 'old school' mechaincally brained person to configure a router.

Are we talking 1/4" or 1/2" router here?