Worn seat-post clamp-bolt-thingy, help!

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
The allen key thread on the bolt that goes though the seat post clamp has worn away.

How do I go about removing the seat post clamp?

Ive bought a hacksaw to saw away the exposed bit of the bolt, but isn't there an easier way?
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Do you mean the thread??

Or (more likely) do you mean the head? I.e. the hexagonal cut-out, in which case the usual answer is to get a torx head screwdriver (preferably not a cheap one, 'cos you'll probably chew it up), cover it in screw grab, and undo it.

Edit: the torx bit tends to have to be a bit bigger than the hex bolt, so the splines catch in the corners.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    The allen key thread on the bolt that goes though the seat post clamp has worn away.

How do I go about removing the seat post clamp?WITHOUT DAMAGING THE CARBON SEAT POST

Ive bought a hacksaw to saw away the exposed bit of the bolt, but isn't there an easier way?

FTFY
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,387
    Put the hacksaw down.

Step away from the hacksaw.:wink:

Now, is it the threaded end that's worn, or the head of the bolt?

If you've stripped the inside of the head (so the allen key turns without moving the bolt) then try davis's suggestion. Seat clamps normally take a 4mm allen key I believe. If it's the threaded end, then just carefully unscrew the bolt as normal.

If it doesn't look as though you can get it out without damaging the clamp, frame or seatpost, then get a shop to do it.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    if the head isnt allen key shaped any more an you cut across the head the the hack saw an get a big flat head screw driver into the slot you just cut?

or if all else fails epoxy resin stick an allen key to the bolt, leave it a day or so to harden then try an remove it,
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    mudcow007 wrote:
    if the head isnt allen key shaped any more an you cut across the head the the hack saw an get a big flat head screw driver into the slot you just cut?

or if all else fails epoxy resin stick an allen key to the bolt, leave it a day or so to harden then try an remove it,

the flat head or a philips gently knocked into the end has done it for me (they'er cheaper than torx)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    Lay the bike flat on a workmate and use a steel drill. 5 minutes to remove the head and knock out the bolt.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Lay the bike flat on a work mate and use a steel drill. 5 minutes to remove the head and knock out the bolt.

Paging HR to thread...
  • DonDaddyD
    davis wrote:
    Do you mean the thread??

Or (more likely) do you mean the head? I.e. the hexagonal cut-out, in which case the usual answer is to get a torx head screwdriver (preferably not a cheap one, 'cos you'll probably chew it up), cover it in screw grab, and undo it.

Edit: the torx bit tends to have to be a bit bigger than the hex bolt, so the splines catch in the corners.

Thanks, I mean:
    Or (more likely) do you mean the head? I.e. the hexagonal cut-out

Any links to this screwdriver you mentioned would be greatly appreciated.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Oh, I'd assumed you'd have one... :-)

Although, seriously, if you don't use them that often then a set of interchangeable bits would probably do. You'll be wanting something in the T20 - T25 range, from memory.

If you do need them regularly, then a decent set is worthwhile - here's the set I use:

http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Fasteners-Production-Equipment/Hand-Tools/Screwdrivers/Torx-screwdrivers/34672/kw/torx

Course you'll now get a billion comments of "nah, that make's crap, you want OTHERMAKE"

Screw Grab is worth its weight in gold.

Other options are: cutting a slot in the head with a hacksaw (don't, you'll fluff it up), drilling it out (much fluffing it up), using screw extractors (possibly slightly less fluffing, assuming you've got a steady hand)

[edit]: I'd have thought one of the "bit kit" sets like this: http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Fasteners-Production-Equipment/Hand-Tools/Screwdrivers/33-piece-bit-set/180831 would do for you. Course, being an Alpha Male you'll already have one :)
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • rjsterry
    The point to point diameter of a 4mm allen key is 4.62mm, so a T25 Torx (at 4.43mm point to point) should fit, or you might need to jump up to T27 if you've really ground it out.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Personally I'd hacksaw a slot and use a screwdriver, but if D (having lost 2 D's again) hasn't got one and as we know he struggles with most menial mechanical tasks I'd suggest he uses an LBS!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • DonDaddyD
    If you hacksaw the bolt the bit that is visible (facing the rear wheel) between the clamp what do you do with the screwdriver.

I'm assuming pry open the clamp itself....

That solution sounds the most fun...
    Food Chain number = 4

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    DonDaddyD wrote:

How do I go about removing the seat post clamp?

So you are not talking bike here at all.

Pics so can see what the actual issue is,

is it a separate clamp? or built in or........
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • DonDaddyD
    The bike is Giant SCR3.

The seat post clamp is separate from the frame.

19011.Jpg

The bit of the bolt that I'm thinking of taking the hacksaw to is visible in the image above.

The the head of the bolt I.e. the hexagonal cut-out (where the allen key would go to tighten or loosen it) has been rounded off so that the allen key doesn't tighten or loosen - it sort of skips rounding it off further.
    Food Chain number = 4

• rjsterry
    NO!

Unless of course you don't mind binning the clamp - you'll really struggle to get two bits of bolt out. If you don't mind, buy a replacement before you do it. There's a;so a risk of you slipping and gouging the seat post.

As I said, ditch the hacksaw, get a suitably sized flat screwdriver (that fits tightly into the head of the bolt), tap it in gently with a hammer, and then very gently twist - you are trying to use just enough torque to get the bolt out and no more, to avoid stripping the head even more.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Yeah, I say you probably need something like this...
    FD08C2B3.jpg
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    I think I'd try assorted interchangeable screwdriver bits - like torx, and failing that drill the bolt with a Dremel and use a bolt extractor.

Does anyone else have popcorn ready yet ?

Take it to the LBS. Okay?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    The bike is Giant SCR3.

The seat post clamp is separate from the frame.

19011.Jpg

The bit of the bolt that I'm thinking of taking the hacksaw to is visible in the image above.

The the head of the bolt I.e. the hexagonal cut-out (where the allen key would go to tighten or loosen it) has been rounded off so that the allen key doesn't tighten or loosen - it sort of skips rounding it off further.

TBH a dremmel type thing would be better as you will have very limited access with a hack saw.

But my option woild be to drill the head off the bolt. and fit a new clamp.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Personally I'd hacksaw a slot and use a screwdriver, but if D (having lost 2 D's again) hasn't got one and as we know he struggles with most menial mechanical tasks I'd suggest he uses an LBS!

Simon

Now, now. Play nice.

Some people are less mechanically minded than others and make up for it in other ways, such as being good at relationships, art apreciation and dealing with other people and their feelings.

These people are usually called women.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Carefully hacksaw along the marked red lines.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/685/image1vbv.jpg/
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    If you hacksaw the bolt the bit that is visible (facing the rear wheel) between the clamp what do you do with the screwdriver.

I'm assuming pry open the clamp itself....

That solution sounds the most fun...

No not like that. On the top of the bolt where the allen key goes into, cut a slot across the top and then treat it like a flat head screw.

Warning tho, this'll only work if enough of the head is exposed from the clamp. If not then go and ask your LBS,

If you cut through the bolt anywhere, you've still got the bolt bits to get out
  • jejv
    We're in suspense.

D - have you killed your bike yet ?

If so, we might be interested in the wheels, the brakes and the seat. PM me if you are still alive.
  • Is there enough space in the gap in the clamp to get an angle grinder disc in? Because that's loads easier than a hacksaw. Alternatively you might want to see of you can get enough grip on the head with a mole wrench to turn it. Ease it up a bit first by heating gently with an oxyacetylene torch.

Or, as someone said, see of you can TAP GENTLY a torx key or a flat blade screwdriver into the head enough to get some purchase. If you can lay the bike flat and put a brick or something under the other side of the seatpost clamp so your gentle tapping is going through the metal clamp rather than the carbon frame, that might be a thing as well. Or get a mouse to gnaw through the seatpost.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Explosives that's the way forward.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    If you take the hacksaw/cutting route. Don't use a hacksaw. Beg, steal or borrow one of those Dremmel jobies and a few cutting discs. Much neater and more controllable. (As long as you don't slip!)
    Graham.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    itboffin wrote:
    Thats your answer to everything!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    itboffin wrote:
    <pictures scene DDD with hands on hips>

You're only sapposed to blow the bladdy seatpost off.
  • jejv
    Is there enough space in the gap in the clamp to get an angle grinder disc in?
    Oi. You're just after bits of his bike. I was there first.

While we're waiting for news, it occured to me that a bolt extractor might fit in what's left of the hex socket on the end of the bolt, without any drilling. Would that work ?
  • rjsterry
    itboffin wrote:

"When I was in the army..."
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    edited June 2011
    if the bolt is truly goosed, you will probably be needing a whole new clamp anyways, so why not gently cut across the clamp its self, it will only be alloy so way easier to cut that then bolt.

when you are through the clamp stick a flat bladed screwdriver in the cut you just made an pries the whole thing off

simples
    Keeping it classy since '83